Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Balljy

They need to sort the PC app if they want to grow GamePass there. I've ended up uninstalling it and stopping the subscription. I'll wait for them to realise that Windows reinstalls are a thing and shouldn't need you to reformat the drive where your games are installed.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Considering this is cross-gen open world, the graphics are insanely good. Looks stunning.

As great as it looks, I've never understood the fascination with graphics on racing games, everything ends up a blur anyway :lol: even though I loved gran turismo, I never really thought much about the graphics because it didn't seem all that important to me because everything was gone so fast.

Might dip back into Forza with this though, not played it in ages and a car game wouldn't go amiss ATM.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
As great as it looks, I've never understood the fascination with graphics on racing games, everything ends up a blur anyway :lol: even though I loved gran turismo, I never really thought much about the graphics because it didn't seem all that important to me because everything was gone so fast.

Might dip back into Forza with this though, not played it in ages and a car game wouldn't go amiss ATM.
Track racing is a bit different than an open world game mate. Have you played a Horizon game before? You are constantly looking across the horizon (fancy that) and taking in the beauty of the open world. 4 was already stunning, 5 looks next level.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Track racing is a bit different than an open world game mate. Have you played a Horizon game before? You are constantly looking across the horizon (fancy that) and taking in the beauty of the open world. 4 was already stunning, 5 looks next level.
Can't remember if 2 or 3 was my last horizon, I'm usually just up some.other cars arse or stuck in a tree or a rock anyway

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I've only had it for 3 days but I'm loving the Series X so far.

Mixing it up by flitting between classics and stuff I've never played and just feel spoiled for choice.

Loving Ori but also re-loving the original Halo.
Obviously the graphics show their age but, game play wise, it's still an absolute treat.

It's a great console.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Mixing it up by flitting between classics and stuff I've never played and just feel spoiled for choice.

Obviously the graphics show their age but, game play wise, it's still an absolute treat.

It's a great console.
That's what I like too - it's great

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

It's a great console.
Same. Started The Division 2 last night with my brother. The graphics are glorious.

Cole9

Twelve Minutes is brilliant so far. I've been waiting for this since the first trailer.

Alock1

Twelve Minutes is brilliant so far. I've been waiting for this since the first trailer.
I started this tonight about 11.30. Was only planning to try for 15-20 minutes to check it out and somehow completed it in one sitting. I'm rubbish at playing single player games for more than an hour cause I'm a fidgety adhd twat, but this definitely had that 'one more loop' binging vibe as I just wanted to uncover more and more of the story with each tidbit of info.

Took 4 or so hours which is shorter than I'd heard but I did seem to fluke onto a few big clues early. It felt like a lot less though, time absolutely flew by which is surprising considering the vast majority of the time you are replaying and repeating dialogue and scenarios that you've already seen.

Let me know what you think of the ending when you finish.

Really good game. Should be on xcloud with touch controls if it isn't already.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Ya it is a great little game. Probably played about 45mins already. I do a fool loop speaking and involving the wife, then ignore her the next run to see what else I can manipulate in the apartment.

i am able to convince here I feel like I’m in a time loop, but not yet found the link to make her disclose more. Great little mind game.

Myst - another puzzle game, out on 26th on gamepass. so between 12 minutes, Myst and Omno - loads of games to keep me going until very close to Forza 5

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Looking forward to trying Twelve Minutes. Recently played The Forgotten City which I'd recommend to anyone who enjoyed it. Similar time loop mystery kinda thing.

DavelinaJolie

Really bad time to have to go to the father in law's to hell out post-knee op. Missing Hades and 12 Minutes, two games I've been looking forward to the most.

Alock1

Really bad time to have to go to the father in law's to hell out post-knee op. Missing Hades and 12 Minutes, two games I've been looking forward to the most.
And in a few days Psychonauts 2 which looks like it could be great.

Massive Spanner

Twelve Minutes is.. decent. I like the time loop idea but it can be annoyingly repetitive at times as a result. Some clever puzzles mixed with some needlessly annoying ones and the fact that it keeps so much from you intentionally so you constantly have to re-loop even though you know how to solve something wrecks my head. But it looks nice, is different and the story is good. Probably a 7/10.

Also.. what was the point of hiring McAvoy and Ridley if they're just going to make them both American? :lol: At least Defoe is still Defoe.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Twelve Minutes is.. decent. I like the time loop idea but it can be annoyingly repetitive at times as a result. Some clever puzzles mixed with some needlessly annoying ones and the fact that it keeps so much from you intentionally so you constantly have to re-loop even though you know how to solve something wrecks my head. But it looks nice, is different and the story is good. Probably a 7/10.

Also.. what was the point of hiring McAvoy and Ridley if they're just going to make them both American? :lol: At least Defoe is still Defoe.
Is it really story driven, like you have to listen to what everybody's saying to understand what's going on?

I'm keen to play but most of the time I put a podcast on in the background. I can rarely be arsed with stories in games these days.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Is it really story driven, like you have to listen to what everybody's saying to understand what's going on?

I'm keen to play but most of the time now I put a podcast on in the background. I can rarely be arsed with stories in games these days.
I mean it's basically a visual novel where the story is the main draw of the game, so ... yep.

Alock1

I really enjoyed it, but the longer I spend away from the game the less I like it. Didn't think the ending was handled that well, and after the early puzzling, it felt like it just became dialogue based sequences of events rather than anything interesting.

Agree on McAvoy and Ridley, though i thought the voice acting was still good, at the start I wondered if it was even them.

Would definitely be up for playing more games like it.

Alock1

I'm keen to play but most of the time now I put a podcast on in the background. I can rarely be arsed with stories in games these days.
It is, but there's only a tiny bit of new dialogue / story with each loop, so more often than not you're skipping through anyway. It has subtitles, so I think you could get away with playing it whilst listening to a podcast.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I really enjoyed it, but the longer I spend away from the game the less I like it. Didn't think the ending was handled that well, and after the early puzzling, it felt like it just became dialogue based sequences of events rather than anything interesting.

Agree on McAvoy and Ridley, though i thought the voice acting was still good, at the start I wondered if it was even them.

Have you played The Return of Obra Dinn? I haven't myself but it sounds similar and is very good by all accounts.

Cheers for answering the question too.

Massive Spanner

You should try The Forgotten City. Another time loop game but handled much better and with a far better story.

Alock1

Psychonaut 2 reviews dropping

9 from Game Informer and Gamespot, 8 from IGN. 87 on meta so far but from only 17 reviews.

Worth noting it is on PS4 as well. Looking forward to playing on game pass tomorrow.

Massive Spanner

Nice. That's the sort of game that'd make me want a Series X, if there actually were any out there. Will defo give it a blast on the PC anyway.

Balljy

Psychonaut 2 reviews dropping

9 from Game Informer and Gamespot, 8 from IGN. 87 on meta so far but from only 17 reviews.

Worth noting it is on PS4 as well. Looking forward to playing on game pass tomorrow.
Sounds good. I've been looking forward to that one for ages and those reviews are suggesting it could be pretty special.

I'm not a fan of 12 minutes so far. I love story based games, but it seems a bit underdeveloped to me - I've noticed that if you take a conversation in a direction you can end up in situations where the discussion forgets what you've said as they've only recorded a certain amount of lines. For a story-led game that's a real immersion breaker for me. It feels like one of those games where a sequel could be fantastic when they've learned the lessons from the first one.

Alock1

Sounds good. I've been looking forward to that one for ages and those reviews are suggesting it could be pretty special.

I'm not a fan of 12 minutes so far. I love story based games, but it seems a bit underdeveloped to me - I've noticed that if you take a conversation in a direction you can end up in situations where the discussion forgets what you've said as they've only recorded a certain amount of lines. For a story-led game that's a real immersion breaker for me. It feels like one of those games where a sequel could be fantastic when they've learned the lessons from the first one.
I agree it's underdeveloped. It's been in development for years, and I wonder if some things are there purposely to make it less easy (like, seemingly having vents for absolutely no reason that I could figure out) or if they were put in with ideas in mind (like hiding the revolver) that they were just never able to realize in time.

You'll need to give an example on the conversation forgetting though. I thought it did that quite well for the most part. The wife responding moodily and not engaging if you'd pushed too hard, etc.

On bolded, I'm going to take a look at the other recommendations in this thread - maybe that vision has already been delivered elsewhere as I agree that the concept itself has loads of potential. I completed it in one go and was hooked for the 4-5 hours it took me to complete and really enjoyed my time with it. It's more how the story plays out after and then thinking back on what could have been (puzzle, interactivity, story wise) that is turning me. In the end the options were actually quite limiting.

I'd still recommend everybody give it a go and glad I played it.

Balljy

I agree it's underdeveloped. It's been in development for years, and I wonder if some things are there purposely to make it less easy (like, seemingly having vents for absolutely no reason that I could figure out) or if they were put in with ideas in mind (like hiding the revolver) that they were just never able to realize in time.

You'll need to give an example on the conversation forgetting though. I thought it did that quite well for the most part. The wife responding moodily and not engaging if you'd pushed too hard, etc.

On bolded, I'm going to take a look at the other recommendations in this thread - maybe that vision has already been delivered elsewhere as I agree that the concept itself has loads of potential. I completed it in one go and was hooked for the 4-5 hours it took me to complete and really enjoyed my time with it. It's more how the story plays out after and then thinking back on what could have been (puzzle, interactivity, story wise) that is turning me. In the end the options were actually quite limiting.

I'd still recommend everybody give it a go and glad I played it.
They're slightly different as they are more choice based and less puzzle, but the likes of Detroit: Become Human and Dreamfall Chapters are great for playing out different stories based on decisions. As has been mentioned Myst remake is out in a couple of days on Game Pass which is basically the definitive (but very old now) puzzle game with story elements.

An example of the interactivity and forgetting what was said before is when you try to convince your wife you're in a time loop. When you fail, the conversation just moves on like the previous conversation never happened with the wife not bringing up what you just said again.

Last edited:

Alock1

Can't imagine there'll be much, though I am still hoping for Redfall gameplay which seems unlikely. Hopefully a few extra gamepass surprises for the rest of the year but we've already got a lot (flight sim, ascent, hades) and have more to come with Diablo 2, Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite (SP), Horizon 5, Back for Blood.

I was hoping for Halo single player gameplay, but their update last week suggested they are focused on polishing and ironing everything out before they are ready to show more which is a little concerning.

Part of the reaction on the co-op decision (to not have it as launch) is because it feels like a relatively simple toggle - scale enemies / ammo / weapons to account for more players. I'm sure it's not as simple as that and there's a lot to it, but no so much that it wouldn't make launch. Unless that's because it is more live action and open than we are expecting - with random events or bases that can be taken, in which case, I understand there's a lot more work required to get that right.

But then.. if the single player really does have that mix of live service elements - who would want to play that game solo in the first place? Surely co-op would be even more important then.

Alock1

Forza Horizon looks fking class though

Last edited: