Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Abraxas

What am I supposed to care about as an Xbox owner? CoD? A load of crap.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ah, as long as they keep their filthy mitts off of Paradox I'll be happy.

Now there's a company you can rely on not to screw over customers. If you'll excuse me I need to go and buy their latest £20 expansion pack.

Gaming is a grown ups thing nowadays. Specifically grown ups paying for their children's shitty Roblox coins. Call me a pessimist bitch but any semblance of a soul in gaming is long gone and it's just a race to see how much money can be squeezed out of fools.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Of course I’ll call Microsoft out, they are trying to destroy something I’m passionate about.

All companies want to make money but there’s different approaches one platform has tried new IP’s brand new experiences and has helped developed some of the best known single player experiences another has just tried to buy up the market instead of investing their near unlimited resources into procuring talent and creating new experiences.
:lol:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Which reminds me, the one thing I really don't like about Game Pass is that you still have to buy the dlcs. That's how they get you. And if you go down that road - it's over. Subscribed for life.

Bosws87

Ah yes, that's true. They own Riot, don't they. Also a part of Epic but what else I don't know. Still, not much western presence.
You don't wanna go down that rabbit hole they have their fingers in every pie.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Which reminds me, the one thing I really don't like about Game Pass is that you still have to buy the dlcs. That's how they get you. And if you go down that road - it's over. Subscribed for life.
But...but you don't need to buy the discs for the game pass, right?

Edit: DLCs. I see :lol:.

Fairly major coup for Microsoft. I wonder will this be allowed to go ahead. It seems kind of anti-competition/bad for the consumer.

WoW on Xbox might be OK...not really playable without keyboard and mouse though. Not well, anyway.
CoD I can't see them making it fully single-platform. Too much money.

Swedish_Plumber

Can’t believe Xbox now owns Crash and Spyro, two game franchises i grew up with on PS.

Whats next? Rooney RVN and Ronaldo a new coaching team to replace klopp? Feck me.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I'll never understand this. It's like reading something from a football fan but it's about consoles?

Why do people support one over the other and brag when the company they like does something? I just buy the one that has the most games I'm interested in. If Xbox got exclusive to all the games I like then I'd switch consoles. I always win whilst big corporations duke it out.
Very much agree with this. Very weird behaviour.

Bosws87

But...but you don't need to buy the discs for the game pass, right?

Edit: DLCs. I see :lol:.

Fairly major coup for Microsoft. I wonder will this be allowed to go ahead. It seems kind of anti-competition/bad for the consumer.

WoW on Xbox might be OK...not really playable without keyboard and mouse though. Not well, anyway.
CoD I can't see them making it fully single-platform. Too much money.
Anti monopoly isn't a thing in America is it to the same degree as Europe

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Anti monopoly isn't a thing in America is it?
Haha, it sounds a bit fake but I do believe there are some anti-monopoly laws in the US. I remember a number of high-profile buyouts being blocked before by the FTC. Not as big a thing as it is in Europe but you'd expect that with the States. If I remember correctly, Nvidia and ARM were stopped combining recently enough, probably a similar argument could be made here. This seems quite bad for everyone really....good for my MS gamepass though I guess.

DavelinaJolie

Haha, it sounds a bit fake but I do believe there are some anti-monopoly laws in the US. I remember a number of high-profile buyouts being blocked before by the FTC. Not as big a thing as it is in Europe but you'd expect that with the States. If I remember correctly, Nvidia and ARM were stopped combining recently enough, probably a similar argument could be made here. This seems quite bad for everyone really....good for my MS gamepass though I guess.
There are absolutely anti-trust regulations in the US.

This would just be unlikely to register on that scale.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The MW setting is the only one I've been interested in to be honest. The Cod: MW multiplayer was really fun.
Yeah it was. It was the first cod I'd played for about 10 years and there was some serious original MW nostalgia at times. I'd have paid for the new MW probably, but refuse to buy any of the others after getting CW refunded because of how shit it is and Vanguard isn't much better, which I've played on the free weekend.

DavelinaJolie

Yeah it was. It was the first cod I'd played for about 10 years and there was some serious original MW nostalgia at times. I'd have paid for the new MW probably, but refuse to buy any of the others after getting CW refunded because of how shit it is and Vanguard isn't much better, which I've played on the free weekend.
I didn't trust my first impressions of CW (That it was wank), I should have and asked for a refund immediately.

Smores

Not studios or games that would ever entice me personally but COD on GamePass will surely bring in subscribers. You'd hope so for that amount of money anyway

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
70 billion is insane and seems way too much. That's not far off what it would cost them to buy PlayStation or NIntendo.

They should have gone for Take Two (if they would sell). It would have have been MUCH cheaper and got them GTA.

BristolRuss

$70b is indeed a hella lot of money, but Warzone prints money and I think made them $1.2b in microtransactions within the first 3 months of launch. King games like Candy Crush are also a huge moneyspinner. They have generated over $2b of revenue for the past 3 years in a row.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How do I get Gamepass locked in for cheap? I know you but gold for 12 months but I already have the ultimate game pass - is there a way I can still do it?

Bosws87

Micro transactions print money look at any of the popular free2play games far out earning most of the pay to play games.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
No they are angling to have consoles/hardware to be non existent it will all be cloud based and you will have to subscribe to gamepass to play their games.

They will have such a monopoly on publishers that everyone will have to be on their platform and Sony if they want to continue would have to publish games on their platform.

Think more Microsoft running an IOS/google play Store and to have any games you have to go through them and they get a cut of everything
I disagree with this. iOS/Google Play Store are platform plays that are tied to a device and the user has no alternative. There's no reason that Sony subscription service can't exist and be incredibly successful, and be accessible on all the same devices (minus Xbox) that Gamepass is on. When streaming is a real practical reality for the masses, Sony will still be able to kill it from a Playstation subscription service based on first-party output. It just means they will have less 3rd party strength and won't necessarily be the market leader anymore. I don't think they'll need to put their games on Gamepass though to continue.

And this direction would have likely happened anyway to a degree. There was definitely a future where publishers like Ubisoft, EA and Take-Two would be able to sell their own subscription service once they aren't tied to the platforms themselves, and we've already seen them start on that journey with Ubisoft+ & EA Play. So Sony needed to continue building that 1st party output plus a few key 3rd party partnerships for the longer term.

Look at Disney+. Because of their incredible back catalogue, they were able to get to an insane number of subscriptions incredibly quickly despite Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc. being in the market a lot longer and having a much bigger catalogue. Almost all their content was first-party, but the quality and scale meant it could co-exist and still command a fee from a ton of people. Many gamers will have multiple subs, so there's no reason a PS streaming sub can't be a hugely successful revenue stream for Sony, without Sony being forced to put games on gamepass.

Alock1

Now you pay to temporarily own a game on your system at home (could be years could be months) then you will pay to temporarily have access to a game being run on a server in a data centre streamed to your tv/phone/tablet etc both parties are guilty of the cloud one but Microsoft seemed to be pushing it hard.
Totally agree with this level of monopolisation being bad for the industry, but it's consumer demand and behaviour that is driving streaming services and has always been absolutely inevitable, regardless of anybody 'pushing it'. All that is happening is gaming is what happened in TV, music, films 10 years ago.. The only reason it isn't already there is because of the latency barriers which those other formats don't have to worry about.

Alock1

70 billion is insane and seems way too much. That's not far off what it would cost them to buy PlayStation or NIntendo.

They should have gone for Take Two (if they would sell). It would have have been MUCH cheaper and got them GTA.
You're forgetting things like WoW, Candy Crush etc.

70bn is huge, but dont forget they have a market cap of over 2 trillion & growing. I imagine 70bn was cut price considering all the bad news/scandals over at Activision at the moment. Would have been a fair bit higher 6-12 months ago I reckon.

Alock1

Not sure why anybody thought he would stay. He'll make a killing from the exit and brings no value to the brand with all the shit recently.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
How do I get Gamepass locked in for cheap? I know you but gold for 12 months but I already have the ultimate game pass - is there a way I can still do it?
Good question, I'd like to know too.

Last time I did it, I let me ultimate sub run out then bought 12 months of Gold and did the £1 upgrade. I don't think this works if you already have Ultimate.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Imagine if, instead of shelling out 70 billion, they'd just started 5 - 10 new studios to create brand new IPs at a fraction of the cost. These could then be the Xbox exclusives of the future.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Imagine if, instead of shelling out 70 billion, they'd just started 5 - 10 new studios to create brand new IPs at a fraction of the cost. These could then be the Xbox exclusives of the future.
Sure in a perfect world but it's a fraction of the profit they'll get from these IPs. Candy Crush alone brings in £1bn per annum

Not to mention the time for development of any new games and how this quickly locks in all the CoD/Overwatch players into the xbox ecosystem.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Good question, I'd like to know too.

Last time I did it, I let me ultimate sub run out then bought 12 months of Gold and did the £1 upgrade. I don't think this works if you already have Ultimate.
Believe you have to let it run out, so turn off recurrent billing and hope it's not changed before then. Mine runs out beginning of Feb, so I'm gonna stock up on 3 years.