Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bosws87

Psychonauts 2 is excellent. Did you play it?
I haven't played that, i saw it was received very well should really give it a chance, never played the first one is it a platformer in the sense of ratchet & clank which is great fun but an absolute breeze or is it a difficult run through, the latter would be great single player games are bit easy these days, bar the obvious ones.

smashing free 2 play games currently as they seem to be of better quality then many paid for games multiplayer wise anyway.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't understand the halo hate. Taken as a single player game with bonus multiplayer content it's fantastic. I won't disagree that 343 are a joke, but the actual game itself is excellent.

Bosws87

I don't understand the halo hate. Taken as a single player game with bonus multiplayer content it's fantastic. I won't disagree that 343 are a joke, but the actual game itself is excellent.
Halo is infamously the other way round to the hardcore that is the issue.

Multiplayer is the staple, not a bit on the side.

altodevil

Halo is infamously the other way round to the hardcore that is the issue.

Multiplayer is the staple, not a bit on the side.
I think it's firmly 50/50. Although as I've said countless times I haven't played any of the other 343 editions. Halo 1-3 were incredible campaigns with incredible multiplayer. No one side was better.

They've fecked this multiplayer though. Feck all maps. Feck all modes. Shitty battle pass bullshit that you can't escape from in any game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Halo's absolute crap, huge potential killed with the shambles of the release and total lack of content down to absolute minimal players and flight sim an system seller. :lol:

Better to just hold your hands up and say the offerings on xbox since release are crap, playstation's are also mostly crap but it does have at least a couple of excellent games.
It’s funny because Gran Turismo is as dull as ever, wrought with issues and they fecked up hard with it, basically a ‘rehashed IP’ living off nostalgia at this point, but none of the usual brigade slate it like this. You’d probably even class it as one of the excellent games you’ve mentioned there.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Halo's absolute crap, huge potential killed with the shambles of the release and total lack of content down to absolute minimal players and flight sim an system seller. :lol:

Better to just hold your hands up and say the offerings on xbox since release are crap, playstation's are also mostly crap but it does have at least a couple of excellent games.
Nah, Halo's great. Their content launch schedule is a few years behind the time and isn't anywhere near up to the standards set by recent GAAS games, but the actual multiplayer game that is there is as good as anything else out there - on consoles at any rate. Great gunplay, clean graphics, brilliant audio design and top maps. There hasn't been a better arena shooter in 5 years, maybe 10 (again, on console). Being slow to release updates is frustrating and understandable why players have dropped off but that doesn't change the quality of what's there. Plus.. it's dead when you compare to COD or Fortnite, but it's still otherwise a healthy game with fast lobbies and good connection - what single-platform multiplayer has more people on? They'll probably soft reboot in November and once Forge and BR hit, and the content starts rolling in, I'm expecting numbers to ramp up again.

As for the campaign, it didn't hit absolute heights but it was still good to very good. The story was nonsense but it always is as far as I'm concerned, and the gameplay and sandbox had never been better. Definitely feel they could have done better with diversity of environments and getting some set pieces in there though.

As for Flight Sim - my point was that it's deserving of 'system seller' status as anything Sony have put out. I don't think millions of Series X are being sold for Flight Sim, but I don't think millions are being sold for Ratchet & Clank either. It's certainly a game that shows the capability of the console, and has hit a much wider audience than people here give credit for.

Alock1

Bosws liked Halo multiplayer, he admitted so multiple times. The only thing that held him back was he wasn't very good (go watch the videos he kept posting). If he was any good, he'd have stuck with it.

People forget, Apex launched with 1 map and 1 mode, and was trios only. Warzone released 4 months after Modern Warfare. Fortnite was about to die before quickly copying PUBG with 1 single mode on a ready made map. Battlefield didn't have a campaign. Rainbow 6 Siege launched with a lack of content and wasn't received well before turning it around. TLOU2 is still waiting on it's multiplayer 2 years later.

It may have been delayed but considering the size of the overall package and what they are trying to achieve, in the context of COVID, there's a ton of mitigating factors.

b82REZ

As for Flight Sim - my point was that it's deserving of 'system seller' status as anything Sony have put out. I don't think millions of Series X are being sold for Flight Sim, but I don't think millions are being sold for Ratchet & Clank either. It's certainly a game that shows the capability of the console, and has hit a much wider audience than people here give credit for.
The comparisons to Flight Sim are laughable. R&C would have been a system seller (or moreso than any of the games you've claimed as system sellers), but the scalping market is still very much prioritising PS5s so the general public can't get their hands on one. The same cannot be said for Series X. I see them all the time.

You talk about mitigating factors all the time and point to things that may happen in the future. That's not good enough almost 2 years into a consoles lifespan.

All publishers and devs have faced the same issue re covid. The barren 18 months we've seen on Playstation is unprecedented, but when you compare that to MS serving you actually can appreciate they have manage to get a decent number of games out of the door.

While it's true both consoles have yet to hit their stride, I'd say Sony are about to jump their first hurdle, MS have got their laces trapped in the starting blocks.

Last edited:

Ainu

Not that it matters much, but it's at least misleading to claim that Flight Sim is a system seller. The system seller is Game Pass and Flight Sim is one of the major technical showpieces on that service. For the record, I also don't consider Ratchet & Clank a major system seller.

b82REZ

Not that it matters much, but it's at least misleading to claim that Flight Sim is a system seller. The system seller is Game Pass and Flight Sim is one of the major technical showpieces on that service. For the record, I also don't consider Ratchet & Clank a major system seller.
I don't consider R&C a system seller, but a family friendly game that utilised all of the new tech would have sold far more units, had people been able to get their hands on the hardware.

Horizon is probably the true system seller and soon GoW: Ragnarok. There are no comparable offerings on MS.

While I agree Gamepass is MS selling point, how much do the general public know about it? It clearly isn't well known enough to propel the Series consoles to high sales. One day, maybe, but when it's more widely available will you necessarily need an Xbox to use it? MS strategy seems to be to saturate the market with Gamepass compatible devices, which are a fraction of the cost of the consoles.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The Series X is an awesome piece of kit and I use it a lot to play games I otherwise probably wouldn’t because of Gamepass. I have a gaming PC too but I genuinely default to the X now instead for a lot of those games, primarily because quick resume is so great. The problem is that it’s supposed to be a next gen console, the more powerful of the two next gen consoles, and so far I’ve played nothing on it that felt like it was really utilising it’s power to the max. That’s terrible on Microsoft who essentially released this €500 powerhouse and have yet to make it a worthy purchase over something like the Series S, really. It’s unbelievable that they’ve supposedly snapped up so many game studios and we still have so very little to show for it.

b82REZ

The Series X is an awesome piece of kit and I use it a lot to play games I otherwise probably wouldn’t because of Gamepass. I have a gaming PC too but I genuinely default to the X now instead for a lot of those games, primarily because quick resume is so great. The problem is that it’s supposed to be a next gen console, the more powerful of the two next gen consoles, and so far I’ve played nothing on it that felt like it was really utilising it’s power to the max. That’s terrible on Microsoft who essentially released this €500 powerhouse and have yet to make it a worthy purchase over something like the Series S, really. It’s unbelievable that they’ve supposedly snapped up so many game studios and we still have so very little to show for it.
The is crux of the issue.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah I'm on series s and a few times I've thought about buying the x. Other than bigger storage and the fact it's a bluray player, meaning I could finally put the PS4 to rest, I really see no point in upgrading.

The Series S feels like a fitting machine for what MS is offering right now. It's better than cloud, not as expensive as the x so perfect if you're only using it for Gamepass

RedRoach

Super happy Series S owner here. Gamepass is great and Cloud gaming is surprisingly good especially for games you just want to try without installing. Also love how compact it is such that it doesn't overtake my living room and is quite portable. No particularly tempted by the X at all at this point.

altodevil

there was someone on here constantly masturbating over the hot wheels game that came out - wonder how they feel about this.

Alock1

Hot Wheels expansion has leaked for Forza Horizon 5

The hotwheels expansion for FH3 was great but I was hoping for something new. Hopefully they can ramp it up for this one.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It was always going this way, however not for a while yet. There'll be more consoles.

What is interesting is the role professional gaming and esports is having more and more and how the big publishers/developers are getting deeper involved with all that. No way they'll be playing games this way in professional tournaments for the foreseeable future, so I wonder if that will affect anything in terms of plans in the short-mid term.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Ohhh that is tasty. Be bitching for me, had to move my setup to upstairs as my small fella is almost 2 and is climbing and pulling every feckin piece of equipment going. To be able to have a quick game of something would be brilliant. Samsung TV added to the list once the house rebuild is done :drool:

I’ve done it through my laptop already a few times, but the fecker can reach the table now as well so

Vapor trail

Xbox app for 2022 Samsung TVs
Is actually a good idea, no reason to purchase an Xbox outside of Forza if this is available through this service even at 1080 60fps that's decent. Not sure how lag / connectivity will factor competitively.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Xbox app for 2022 Samsung TVs
Genuinely impressive. Again, not for me really but I can see it being popular. That being said, there's been times where a mate doesn't have any console and it'd be good to play. This would be a lot handier than having to pull out all my routed cables to take the console.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Genuinely impressive. Again, not for me really but I can see it being popular. That being said, there's been times where a mate doesn't have any console and it'd be good to play. This would be a lot handier than having to pull out all my routed cables to take the console.
Yeah, would be useful. My TV doesn't even have a YouTube app so the chances of it coming to my TV are less than zero. Will upgrade one day.

Meanwhile, Hollow Knight Silksong coming to Game Pass day one.

BristolRuss

Saw that on Discord but don't know how accurate it is. If true I hope the Kojima game is back to his early MGS form and less the latter MGS games and that walking simulator.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Saw that on Discord but don't know how accurate it is. If true I hope the Kojima game is back to his early MGS form and less the latter MGS games and that walking simulator.
Looks about right but surprised if there's no Forza Motorsport 8.

Didn't know Scorn wasn't released yet. Feels like they've been advertising that for years.