Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Eventually sure. That's why cutback or remodelled consoles often end up coming up with a price drop mid-cycle, they encourage late adopters to finally transition over. What I'm not clear about is why they're launching with one. Particularly since I read the old MS consoles will play next gen games, just with cut back graphics.
Parents, people that primarily want a PS5 but like the idea of Gamepass (if reddit is anything to go by there’s quite a few), people who aren’t that interested in games but have the original Xbox One and fancy a bit of an upgrade. I think there’s plenty of people it’ll appeal to.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How many of you would go for the 250 dollar one though? A console is bought for the next 5-7 years and 4K is now pretty much everywhere.
I will. The kids want the new Xbox but I want a new PC and I'm bigger so I can shout over their complaints. Their TV is a 40 inch HD doodah and so a 4K optimized machine is pretty pointless for them.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I will. The kids want the new Xbox but I want a new PC and I'm bigger so I can shout over their complaints. Their TV is a 40 inch HD doodah and so a 4K optimized machine is pretty pointless for them.
Good call, mate. Good call.

hubbuh

The question is, how many people who are casual gamers also want the latest thing? That's what seems odd to me. Most casual gamers will just stick with what they already have until it stops getting new games. Cut back consoles are usually a way to encourage late adopters to finally let go of old machines and get on board, rather than leaders to get people on the platform early. The risk of course is that they simply cannibalise their own market.
Everyone wants the ‘new’ thing, even casual gamers that only play Fortnite/FIFA etc. Marketing is too powerful a thing nowadays that people forego upgrading their stuff, even if what they have is already perfectly adequate for their needs.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I like this move from MS, now people can see how smart it was holding back leaving Sony less time to respond (not that they wouldn't have known the plans anyway I guess). We all know the main consoles will be expensive, even with losses, and we know there'll be upgrades but an entry point of £250 or buying monthly with Gamepass is exceptional value. Now it's not going to be some magic machine (1440 @ 120? even @60 will be a huge struggle), but it does make sense for casual gamers.

I do echo the fear of holding true next gen games back though, it's not just about selecting low settings in PC games, it's about how they structure them to push techniques forward. It 100% will impact in some way, but we'll see just how well these consoles have been designed.

Castia

£250 for the series S is going to be huge for Microsoft. Great piece of kit for that price, a foot into next gen whilst also doubling up as a gamepass machine, I’ll be picking up up alongside the ps5.

BristolRuss

Apparently the console will have "4K upscaling for games" so even those with 4K tv's can benefit from this console.

Castia

I play 1440p on pc and it’s great. People won’t be disappointed by not playing in 4K the performance benefit is huge whilst still looking amazing.

Coxy

The question is, how many people who are casual gamers also want the latest thing? That's what seems odd to me. Most casual gamers will just stick with what they already have until it stops getting new games. Cut back consoles are usually a way to encourage late adopters to finally let go of old machines and get on board, rather than leaders to get people on the platform early. The risk of course is that they simply cannibalise their own market.
I’m a hardcore gamer - but I will be buying the S. simply can’t afford the X. So not just casuals

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves

Next gen storage going to cost a bomb.
Hopefully other suppliers come along and get compatible quick enough. For first few months you'd probably get away with it - unless you like playing over 4 heavy games on the fly (that's giving a decent bugger of 200GB per game too).

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

I’m a hardcore gamer - but I will be buying the S. simply can’t afford the X. So not just casuals
This is what I meant by cannibalising their own market. Microsoft don't want keen gamers buying the cheaper version, they need those people driving sales of their top end devices. The S unit needs to attract people who wouldn't otherwise be interested in a new gen console.

Everyone wants the ‘new’ thing, even casual gamers that only play Fortnite/FIFA etc. Marketing is too powerful a thing nowadays that people forego upgrading their stuff, even if what they have is already perfectly adequate for their needs.
Most consoles sales come well after their launch. I only bought a PS4 in June.

EwanI Ted

of course it is next gen. They will be identical except S will run at 1440p and X will run at 4k
Its currently unknown is how the Series S compares to the One X. I believe official specs aren't available yet but the GPU on the Series S is said to be slower than the current One X, while the CPU and memory are faster. The Series S has a few other modern features that will speed things up overall. We'll wait and see but it wouldn't surprise me if the the raw graphical performance ended up being not that much different. However I'd imagine the similar architecture to the Series X means that next gen games designed first and foremost for that machine will play better on the Series S than the One X. But given what's been shared, I dont think One X users upgrading to the Series S will see the kind of jump we associate with a next gen console.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
of course it is next gen. They will be identical except S will run at 1440p and X will run at 4k
They won't be identical. It's an incremental upgrade that you'd normally see mid-generation as an improvement to the current offering. That’s basically how I see it, not as a full blown next gen console, which is obviously how they’re marketing it.

Smores

It's a bold move you have to say but they needed to do something to regain ground. Will they gain enough sales to make up for the money lost due to reduced Series X sales?

I think they probably will and easily. The next gen consoles are too much money for many consumers and microsoft just won that market. If they can use that to build brand loyalty It'll be a big win for them.

Adamsk7

Its currently unknown is how the Series S compares to the One X. I believe official specs aren't available yet but the GPU on the Series S is said to be slower than the current One X, while the CPU and memory are faster. The Series S has a few other modern features that will speed things up overall. We'll wait and see but it wouldn't surprise me if the the raw graphical performance ended up being not that much different. However I'd imagine the similar architecture to the Series X means that next gen games designed first and foremost for that machine will play better on the Series S than the One X. But given what's been shared, I dont think One X users upgrading to the Series S will see the kind of jump we associate with a next gen console.
Which could be why the One X has been discontinued. They are going in to next gen with the One S, Series S and Series X as the three ways to play if you don’t own an Xbox already. They’ve already said that the games will be playable on current gen consoles.

As a One X owner, I don’t know where that leaves me and I do feel like their plan to simplify things has only made them more confusing.

hubbuh

Everyone’s situation is unique obviously but it does feel mental to me with the way things are that people will spend near enough to a grand in a year on a console, games and all the trimmings.

Bojan11

I made the (correct) claim that the Xbox brand is dead in many markets worldwide. That's it!
That’s a surprising ban considering most of them hate Xbox and what you said is true. Anyway...

EwanI Ted

Which could be why the One X has been discontinued. They are going in to next gen with the One S, Series S and Series X as the three ways to play if you don’t own an Xbox already. They’ve already said that the games will be playable on current gen consoles.

As a One X owner, I don’t know where that leaves me and I do feel like their plan to simplify things has only made them more confusing.
I think that's sort of right, except I see the One machines (is it confusing to refer to them as the One series?) as being cut off at around the same time (albeit in some years time). Indeed the One X may last longer than the One S simply due to its greater grunt. Looks like their plan is to make games available to several generations at a time, similar to how iOS is available to several iPhones at a time. Every few years an upgrade will come out and at the same time the slowest machine will stop getting new games, so that devs only have to program for 3 or 4 machines at a time.

The issue is likely to be that the different architecture of the One machines makes its harder to optimise well for them, while the Series S, Series X (the Series series?) and whatever new machines arrive would be made with more compatible architecture from the outset. That might explain why they're stopping the One X and replacing it with a comparable machine, because it makes things easier for everyone down the line if gamers are on similar machines.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is what I meant by cannibalising their own market. Microsoft don't want keen gamers buying the cheaper version, they need those people driving sales of their top end devices. The S unit needs to attract people who wouldn't otherwise be interested in a new gen console.
I don’t think they’re worried about this. I think MS just want people on Gamepass, by whatever means necessary.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don’t think they’re worried about this. I think MS just want people on Gamepass, by whatever means necessary.
Yeah, people keep struggling to get this. MS don't care if you buy an Xbox X or S or PC or whatever as long as it has Gamepass and you're subscribed to it.