Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

EwanI Ted

I don’t think they’re worried about this. I think MS just want people on Gamepass, by whatever means necessary.
Yeah, people keep struggling to get this. MS don't care if you buy an Xbox X or S or PC or whatever as long as it has Gamepass and you're subscribed to it.
I'm not saying gamepass isnt their target. I'm saying they need new users going to their platforms, not simply splitting the same number of users between high and lower power machines. If all they do is attract the same users but to a device with less profit margin and less performance, that's not a winning strategy.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm not saying gamepass isnt their target. I'm saying they need new users going to their platforms, not simply splitting the same number of users between high and lower power machines. If all they do is attract the same users but to a device with less profit margin and less performance, that's not a winning strategy.
Yeah but this is the same company that though iPhone would be a failure. MS = dumb

Bojan11

They not making any money on any of these devices for the prices they set. They most likely making a loss. They just want you in their echo system.

Bojan11

Xbox series x with 24 month gamepass is £28.99 a month via the all access programme. GAME and smyth toys are the participating retailers. The s is £20.99 a month.

EwanI Ted

They not making any money on any of these devices for the prices they set. They most likely making a loss. They just want you in their echo system.
They still need more users than in the last generation though, which is the point. There are downsides if the install base is skewed towards mid-power machines, but MS won't care if they get more users overall.

On Gamepass though, I dont have it or the Playstation equivalent myself, but I'd always thought it would make it easier, not harder, to switch platforms? I just assumed they would have mostly similar titles on them, is this not the case?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm not sure what your argument is. Having a £250 console as an option will clearly bring in more people than those who would have bought the £450 one anyway.

Bojan11

When Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S launch this holiday, in addition to existing availability in the US, UK, Australia and New Zealand, Xbox All Access will expand to eight new countries, giving more players around the world an opportunity to get everything they need to jump into the next generation of gaming with no upfront cost. The program will come to even more countries and retailers in 2021.

Xbox All Access will be available in the following countries this holiday:
  • Australia at Telstra
  • Canada at EB Games
  • Denmark at Elgiganten
  • Finland at Gigantti
  • France at FNAC
  • New Zealand at Spark
  • Norway at Elkjøp
  • Poland at Media Expert
  • South Korea at SK Telecom
  • Sweden at Elgiganten
  • UK at GAME and Smyths Toys
  • United States at Best Buy, GameStop, Target, Microsoft Store, and Walmart
GAME could go bust within a year.

AC weibo account is saying the game will run at 4k 60fps on the X.

Bojan11

Xbox Series S delivers the same next generation speed and performance that define Xbox Series X. It is similar in CPU and has the identical I/O performance as Xbox Series X, making it easier for developers to deliver the same great performance, while rendering at a lower resolution. Xbox Series S delivers 4x the processing power of an Xbox One console and supports experiences up to 120fps, more immersive and responsive gameplay with support for hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing and Variable Rate Shading. In addition, Xbox Series S includes 512GB of custom SSD storage and is powered by the Xbox Velocity Architecture, delivering more than 40x the I/O bandwidth of an Xbox One resulting in faster loading times, steadier frame rates and Quick Resume for multiple titles.

You’ll also experience the same great audio on Xbox Series S that you will on Xbox Series X with Spatial Sound, including support for Dolby Atmos. What’s more, support for Dolby Vision via streaming media apps like Disney+, Vudu and Netflix will be available across Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X at launch, and Dolby Vision support for gaming will come first to our next-gen Xbox consoles in 2021.

The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution. Through talking to our customers, we found that many of our fans prioritize framerate over resolution, so we wanted to build a console that didn’t require a 4K TV. Xbox Series S delivers approximately 3x the GPU performance of Xbox One and was designed to play games at 1440p at 60 frames per second, with support for up to 120fps. With the increased efficiency we get from the next generation AMD RDNA 2 graphics architecture combined with the virtual memory multipliers enabled through the Xbox Velocity Architecture, Xbox Series S will deliver performance and experiences well beyond the raw specs. In addition, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S share the same development environment, tools and capabilities, all of which enable developers to build and release their content across consoles more easily while still taking advantage of the unique hardware capabilities of the next generation.
We getting exclusives now.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I pre-ordered the Series X with GameStop here in Ireland. Hopefully they get enough stock in so I can get it on release day, I did pre-order it the day it became available (14th December 2019) so fingers crossed!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I pre-ordered the Series X with GameStop here in Ireland. Hopefully they get enough stock in so I can get it on release day, I did pre-order it the day it became available (14th December 2019) so fingers crossed!
Surely you just registered interest and didn't actually pre-order anything?

Bojan11

I preordered a preorder slot from ShopTo and base for both consoles, if that makes any sense.

Also thought I’d post this again as we friends

hubbuh

A grand a year? Who does that?
That was in relation to people buying one of the new consoles on release. So for example I imagine it'd go something like this; new console £500, extra pad £50 (mine only came with one, think that's standard?), online £40, 4 or 5 new games at 50 quid a pop and you're pretty much there. New games cost £60, and I reckon a lot of people will be buying more than 4 games in the first year.

BristolRuss

Xbox series x with 24 month gamepass is £28.99 a month via the all access programme. GAME and smyth toys are the participating retailers. The s is £20.99 a month.
Gamepass Ultimate is £10.99 per month, so 24 months of that is £263.76. The All Access deal is £28.99 per month so that works out at £695.76. If you remove the gamepass total from that it comes out at £432 exactly, so you are actually getting the console for less than RRP.

Ainu

That was in relation to people buying one of the new consoles on release. So for example I imagine it'd go something like this; new console £500, extra pad £50 (mine only came with one, think that's standard?), online £40, 4 or 5 new games at 50 quid a pop and you're pretty much there. New games cost £60, and I reckon a lot of people will be buying more than 4 games in the first year.
The console is a one-time investment which should anywhere between 4 to 7 years for early adopters, depending on whether they spend money on a mid-gen upgrade. Anyway, 4-5 full price new games is a lot, I certainly don't buy anywhere near that many games at full price in any given year. With a heavy focus on back compat and free next-gen upgrades, even early adopters will have a decent catalogue available without spending big.

EwanI Ted

I'm not sure what your argument is. Having a £250 console as an option will clearly bring in more people than those who would have bought the £450 one anyway.
A poster said that this would be attractive to people who were casual gamers. I queried whether casual gamers bought next gen consoles on release. That was the original point. Most consoles sales happen years after a console's release and it tends to be keen gamers that buy in early, with such gamers less likely to be worried about cost.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
A poster said that this would be attractive to people who were casual gamers. I queried whether casual gamers bought next gen consoles on release. That was the original point. Most consoles sales happen years after a console's release and it tends to be keen gamers that buy in early, with such gamers less likely to be worried about cost.
But it will still be attractive to casual gamers after a few years..

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
nope, I also paid €50 deposit. I done the same with the Xbox One and the Xbox One X, got both day 1 from GameStop. Just Microsoft’s wording has me wondering on Gamestops availability.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We getting exclusives now.
It’s already available through Xbox one S and X though but still a good thing. PS4 pro shows Disney plus in 1080p without HDR — absolutely scandalous.

Castia

The monthly payment scheme seems like a no brainier. 0% apr for a start then slightly cheaper than paying outright.

Theyre making it hard for gamers to ignore, the last week Microsoft have nailed it.

Havak

Pokemon master
Will you be able to add an external hard drive to the S?
Yes, but I don't think it will work for Xbox Series S/X exclusive games. It might allow you to download Xbox One, 360 and original Xbox games and play them, but if they're running from external hard drive they will not benefit from the 'Series' faster loading times and upscaling etc.

To download 'next gen' games and to play them or older games with the faster loading and enhanced features, you will need to purchase Microsoft's expandable storage cards (a bit like memory cards of old). Everyone knew they'd be expensive, but the only potential price we have so far is a leaked placeholder image with a price of $220. I don't think this will be correct as the leaked placeholder prices for the Xbox Series X console were £599/$599 which turned out to be well off. Still, this further storage for 1TB will absolutely set you back at least £99 IMO.

mancan92

They won't be identical. It's an incremental upgrade that you'd normally see mid-generation as an improvement to the current offering. That’s basically how I see it, not as a full blown next gen console, which is obviously how they’re marketing it.
But its not Microsoft have already said it will play the same games at the same frame rate as the x. The only difference will be resolution. The games will be the same.

mancan92

Microsoft say a lot of things :)
Sure so does every company. But what is very clear from their messaging is that there will no xbox seriess x exclusive games. Any game on the x will also run on the s at lower resolutions. That is why they have exactly the same technology in them. With things like Ray tracing it's very much a probability rather than uncertainty.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm surprised GAME have lasted as long as they have. Can't remember the last time I spent money in one of their stores.
How have they managed without you?