Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The monthly payment scheme seems like a no brainier. 0% apr for a start then slightly cheaper than paying outright.

Theyre making it hard for gamers to ignore, the last week Microsoft have nailed it.
Wonder if they stop gamesharing with all this.

JP77

Any idea on when this All Access pay monthly stuff with Game/Smyth's will start to take orders?

Also, any info on how it works? I take it that it'll be credit based over here in the UK? Only asking as I struggle to get accepted in quite a few places when it comes to credit which I've been told is because I haven't really ever had anything to build my credit rating up. Will this work similar to being accepted by a catalogue, loan etc? I was originally going to get the PS5 but decided against it this year because I'm getting married next summer so can't really afford it. The XBOX Series S at 250 is massively tempting but even more so on a pay monthly pay!

BristolRuss

Any idea on when this All Access pay monthly stuff with Game/Smyth's will start to take orders?

Also, any info on how it works? I take it that it'll be credit based over here in the UK? Only asking as I struggle to get accepted in quite a few places when it comes to credit which I've been told is because I haven't really ever had anything to build my credit rating up. Will this work similar to being accepted by a catalogue, loan etc? I was originally going to get the PS5 but decided against it this year because I'm getting married next summer so can't really afford it. The XBOX Series S at 250 is massively tempting but even more so on a pay monthly pay!
The credit will be with Klarna whether you get it from Game or Smyths. I've never taken anything out with them before but apparently they are quite generous when it comes to credit checks.

Coxy

Am I understanding right... the S will be £250. At Smyths we can pay £25 a month to buy the console. So that’s 10 payments and then you’re done?

and You get 2 years game pass thrown in?

Castia

Am I understanding right... the S will be £250. At Smyths we can pay £25 a month to buy the console. So that’s 10 payments and then you’re done?

Yeah and also gamepass now comes with EA play so it’s even better value, it’s ridiculous tbh.

Adamsk7

There’s some bad maths in here....

Game Pass Ultimate 24x £10.99 = £263.76
Xbox Series S = £249.99
Total cost sold separately = £513.75
Total cost at 24x £20.99 = £503.76

You’re saving £9.99. Still a great deal

I’m not including EA Play because that is being included in Game Pass regardless of if you pay monthly with a console or not.

for the X you’re saving £17.99 so that’s actually an even better deal.

*disclaimer my maths is also useless and may be here too! Haha

Adamsk7

So I’m gonna trade my PS4 Pro in tomorrow at Game. They’ll give me £190

gonna keep my One X until launch so I have something to play then trade that in.

gonna buy the PS5 outright and do the Series X on All Access for £28.99. I reckon I’ll get a way with paying under £150 outright on the day

This is all assuming the PS5 is £499. If it’s £599 I may just be out on principle!

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I don't know if I should get a PS5 or Xbox Series X. The Series S is a non starter for me.

Someone lend me £450 so I can get both.

BristolRuss

The deal for the Series S is actually only £20.99 per month. The Series X one is £28.99. It's not for 10 months though, it's for 24. It still works out cheaper than buying the console + Gamepass outright though.

Bojan11

I don't know if I should get a PS5 or Xbox Series X. The Series S is a non starter for me.

Clearly PC.

Or just go where you prefer exclusives and more importantly where your mates play online. You don’t want to be the only one online with nobody to play with. @horsechoker has that problem with breeding.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

If you really do want both, get whichever you think you'll play the most to start off with, and the other one down the line.

I might end up doing that eventually, for the first time ever. Makes sense for me to leave the PS until more games are out for it, and my mates are on Xbox anyway.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If you really do want both, get whichever you think you'll play the most to start off with, and the other one down the line.

I might end up doing that eventually, for the first time ever. Makes sense for me to leave the PS until more games are out for it, and my mates are on Xbox anyway.
This is a lie because it’s a well known fact you don’t have any mates.

EwanI Ted

Some spec comparisons from Kotaku

CPU
  • Xbox Series X: Custom AMD Zen 2 CPU at 3.8GHz (3.66GHz with Simultaneous Multithreading)
  • Xbox Series S: Custom AMD Zen 2 CPU at 3.6GHz (3.4GHz with Simultaneous Multithreading)
GPU
  • Xbox Series X: Custom AMD RDNA 2, 12.15 TFLOPS, 52 CUs at 1.825GHz
  • Xbox Series S: Custom AMD RDNA 2, 4 TFLOPS, 20 CUs at 1.565GHz
Memory
  • Xbox Series X: 16GB GDDR6, 10GB at 560 GB/s, 6GB at 336 GB/s bandwidth
  • Xbox Series S: 10GB GDDR6, 8GB at 224 GB/s, 2GB at 56 GB/s bandwidth
Internal Storage
  • Xbox Series X: 1TB Custom NVME SSD with 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed)
  • Xbox Series S: 512GB Custom NVME SSD with 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed)
Performance
  • Xbox Series X: Targeting 4K at 60 FPS and up to 120 FPS
  • Xbox Series S: Targeting 1440p at 60 FPS and up to 120 FPS

https://kotaku.com/how-xbox-series-...utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

One interesting question will be the performance of both machines at 1440p.

Shark

@NotShark
Some spec comparisons from Kotaku

CPU
  • Xbox Series X: Custom AMD Zen 2 CPU at 3.8GHz (3.66GHz with Simultaneous Multithreading)
  • Xbox Series S: Custom AMD Zen 2 CPU at 3.6GHz (3.4GHz with Simultaneous Multithreading)
GPU
  • Xbox Series X: Custom AMD RDNA 2, 12.15 TFLOPS, 52 CUs at 1.825GHz
  • Xbox Series S: Custom AMD RDNA 2, 4 TFLOPS, 20 CUs at 1.565GHz
Memory
  • Xbox Series X: 16GB GDDR6, 10GB at 560 GB/s, 6GB at 336 GB/s bandwidth
  • Xbox Series S: 10GB GDDR6, 8GB at 224 GB/s, 2GB at 56 GB/s bandwidth
Internal Storage
  • Xbox Series X: 1TB Custom NVME SSD with 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed)
  • Xbox Series S: 512GB Custom NVME SSD with 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed)
Performance
  • Xbox Series X: Targeting 4K at 60 FPS and up to 120 FPS
  • Xbox Series S: Targeting 1440p at 60 FPS and up to 120 FPS

https://kotaku.com/how-xbox-series-...utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

One interesting question will be the performance of both machines at 1440p.
I'd say they'll perform brilliantly at that resolution. 1140p is the current sweet spot on PC for me and you don't need a high end graphics card to get a respectable fps on higher settings. The PS5 and Series X are strong but all of this 4k at 120 fps lark is a pipe dream for these consoles, most games will run at 4k 60hz so the people running out to buy all of these TV's worth thousands aren't going to be playing many games on the higher refresh rates.

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

I'd say they'll perform brilliantly at that resolution. 1140p is the current sweet spot on PC for me and you don't need a high end graphics card to get a respectable fps on higher settings. The PS5 and Series X are strong but all of this 4k at 120 fps lark is a pipe dream for these consoles, most games will run at 4k 60hz so the people running out to buy all of these TV's worth thousands aren't going to be playing many games on the higher refresh rates.
Sorry that wasnt clear, I meant I wonder how they will perform compared to each other at the same res. Will the X see a meaningful boost over the S?

Shark

@NotShark
Sorry that wasnt clear, I meant I wonder how they will perform compared to each other at the same res. Will the X see a meaningful boost over the S?
Yeah that's a good question, although I'd say the S will be perfectly capable of going beyond 60fps at 1440p. The X will probably hit the full 120 or there abouts at that resolution on most games.

Last edited:

Ainu

I'd say even that is very optimistic. Most games won't achieve a lock-on 60 fps at native 4k. I'll be extremely surprised if they do.

Shark

@NotShark
I'd say even that is very optimistic. Most games won't achieve a lock-on 60 fps at native 4k. I'll be extremely surprised if they do.
Yeah thats true. I guess most games that aren't super power hungry, maybe some of the titles they'll remaster from previous gen.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I need a bit of advice from people more knowledgeable than me in next gen gaming, (I'm still playing ps2)
I have poor Internet speeds where I live, my son wants an Xbox, I am interested in the series s, but with no optical drive I'm obviously going to be downloading games, I assume we are talking 100gb plus for a next gen game right?
That'll take all week with my broadband,
Is it worth getting an older model one x instead?
Not spending £400plus on a console, it doesn't get used enough!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I need a bit of advice from people more knowledgeable than me in next gen gaming, (I'm still playing ps2)
I have poor Internet speeds where I live, my son wants an Xbox, I am interested in the series s, but with no optical drive I'm obviously going to be downloading games, I assume we are talking 100gb plus for a next gen game right?
I think going for a digital console if you have crap internet would be a mistake. You'd be better of with a current generation Xbox, and then if and when your internet speed improves the Series S is always available as an upgrade.

(Some games are huge and require a fair few updates, but I've found most games to be in the region of 40-70gb).

EwanI Ted

The One X will play some next gen games as well as existing ones, so its not a bad buy at the right price. It won't have the longevity of the Series S, but all the old games will obviously still work. They're not making One Xs any more though, so once stock goes you'll need a second hand one.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Just read back the last ten pages as I’m way out of the loop when it comes to consoles but it’s a good Christmas present for my little un and I still have a little go now and again. I loved rdr2.

currently got xbox and ps2 so I was unsure which way to go next, after reading this thread and seeing the monthly instalments are £20 or £28, May aswell pay the extra £8 a month even if it was a longer payment period, add the game pass and ea pass to that and it seems silly not to choose the Xbox series x over the ps5, especially for me at the moment as a less than casual gaming parent

so, basically, I think I’ve got it right, thanks for this thread and the easy to get info

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Do you think they will sell out by Christmas or the deals could change?
I’m thinking of getting one on release But then keeping it untill Christmas. Just hesitant on missing Xmas deals, even though this £28 a month seems unbeatable.

also wonder what will happen if you take out the 2year scheme with game but the fold, they seem to be on the brink for a few years now

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I’m thinking of getting one on release But then keeping it untill Christmas. Just hesitant on missing Xmas deals, even though this £28 a month seems unbeatable.

also wonder what will happen if you take out the 2year scheme with game but the fold, they seem to be on the brink for a few years now
I don't think Xbox's will sell out. At least, not here in the UK.

EwanI Ted

I would guess that Game will use a third party company to provide the credit, so you'd probably just keep paying them.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Cool thanks both. Been an interesting read this morning. I didn’t realise there were so many variations just of the Xbox

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My mate has awful internet. 9mb download tops I think. He’s managed with the gigantic cod updates ok. He does have to wait til the next day to play though, which is shit but doable.

If yours is any worse you probably need a drive. If it’s around the same you could get away with it.