PGR4
Forza Motorsport 2
Forza Horizon
Crackdown
Lost Odyssey
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Blue Dragon
Viva Pinata
Most of the Microsoft ones of those have already gotten updates or hd remasters or whatever though.

b82REZ

As opposed to what? Like 2 extra games might be worth playing? :lol:

And even those get slated plenty in the ps5 thread.

Let’s be honest. Gaming isn’t in a great place.
This is just simply not true though is it?

As much as you try and denigrate Sony, they've released some top games in the last 3 years.

The indie scene is absolutely blowing up as well and the standard of indie games continues to improve.

All of this doesn't even consider the behemoth of Zelda due out next week as well as the strong Q3/4 we traditionally get.

It's looking like MS have borked another generation of consoles though. Hanging all their hopes on the Bethesda titles isn't going to end well IMO.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

As much as you try and denigrate Sony, they've released some top games in the last 3 years.

The indie scene is absolutely blowing up as well and the standard of indie games continues to improve.

All of this doesn't even consider the behemoth of Zelda due out next week as well as the strong Q3/4 we traditionally get.

It's looking like MS have borked another generation of consoles though. Hanging all their hopes on the Bethesda titles isn't going to end well IMO.
Great post would read again.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

What isn’t true? The last page of the ps5 thread has people complaining about Horizon Zero Dawn. So many have said Tsushima was just another repetitive Assassin’s Creed type game, although the art direction does look nice. And I’ve named the ones I’d actually play if I had a ps5. I’m not interested in ‘denigrating Sony’. They do release polished and well made games, but they’re really just another game that we’ve seen before, with shinier graphics.

This isn’t another ps5 v Xbox argument though. It’s just the way games are at the moment, which is the point I’m making.

Zelda looks good, especially for nostalgia purposes, but personally I won’t be parting with hundreds of quid just to play one game (or two soon), although I was tempted to a while back. At least they pushed the boat out from what they’d done before with it.

Indie games are good at times but often lacking. Which ones in particular are you liking?

As for Xbox, as much as you try and denigrate it, personally was never particularly interested in the exclusives and bought it for Game Pass and vast majority of games that aren’t exclusive. So the generation is hardly borked for me from a console choice pov, and the many others that did the same. I do hope Starfield is great though, not because it’s an exclusive but because it will be right up my straße.

What’s borking this gen is the lack of quality third party games, especially AAA and AA. It’s been a poor show considering we’re nearly half way through the gen. To be fair I just want another GTA or Red Dead though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Say what you will about PS5 exclusives but don't you think the metacritic scores speak for themselves? Redcafe thinks everything's shit don't extrapolate that out to the wider world.... That's just stupid.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
i don't know how anyone can say gaming isn't in a good place. My backlog has never been bigger.
Gaming is in great shape if you ask me. Same as all other media, repetition in terms of subject matter and styles but the sheer amount of quality games I’ve got to play through is frightening with loads to look forward too also.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
What’s borking this gen is the lack of quality third party games, especially AAA and AA. It’s been a poor show considering we’re nearly half way through the gen. To be fair I just want another GTA or Red Dead though.
I think that's fair. It's a combination of things like covid and teams being bought/destroyed, but one of the things I think is actually impacting it is the changing landscape of gaming. Specifically the rise of streaming and the constant pressure for games to not be set in stone anymore and needing things like constant updates and even competitions. We are in a strange area of publishers not really knowing what to do next or where to go. But it is clearly true that with MS in particular, they just aren't getting quality content out for whatever reason.

i don't know how anyone can say gaming isn't in a good place. My backlog has never been bigger.
I sit in the middle really. I see plenty of games I still need to play (even console ones), but I do agree with Veeva that big hitters are either not materialising or if they do tend to be more mediocre than anything.

Say what you will about PS5 exclusives but don't you think the metacritic scores speak for themselves? Redcafe thinks everything's shit don't extrapolate that out to the wider world.... That's just stupid.
:lol: Too true. Though you can say that about the music/film/tv tastes on here too!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The same opinions are found all over the internet. Scores are bound to be good because there’s a lack of games doing anything different, which is exactly the point.

It doesn’t mean they’re not enjoyable and well made, so probably deserve those scores, but it is stale.

You don’t need to get so defensive.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

The same opinions are found all over the internet. Scores are bound to be good because there’s a lack of games doing anything different, which is exactly the point.

It doesn’t mean they’re not enjoyable and well made, but it is stale.
You haven't even played them though? I'm just saying, gaming is not stale and Sony have been putting out bangers...

caid

I've played the sony exclusives, they're not bangers. Overhyped across the board. Even if you want to disregard that there just isn't many of them

caid

Truthfully I think the GP is pretty stale so I can see why that would be extrapolated.

As Alock would agree, still the best and most original thing on it is SoT!
I wish i could rope friends into playing that more. Thats a genuinely cool and unique game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think that's fair. It's a combination of things like covid and teams being bought/destroyed, but one of the things I think is actually impacting it is the changing landscape of gaming. Specifically the rise of streaming and the constant pressure for games to not be set in stone anymore and needing things like constant updates and even competitions. We are in a strange area of publishers not really knowing what to do next or where to go. But it is clearly true that with MS in particular, they just aren't getting quality content out for whatever reason.

I sit in the middle really. I see plenty of games I still need to play (even console ones), but I do agree with Veeva that big hitters are either not materialising or if they do tend to be more mediocre than anything.

:lol: Too true. Though you can say that about the music/film/tv tastes on here too!
For PCs yeah the quality of AAA titles has been absolutely shocking. Mostly just terrible port after terrible port. On consoles they’ve mostly been fine though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You haven't even played them though? I'm just saying, gaming is not stale and Sony have been putting out bangers...
Yeah but if Redfall was a ps5 exclusive you’d be chasing the delivery van down in your dressing gown again, so I’ll take that with a spoon of salt.

caid

For PCs yeah the quality of AAA titles has been absolutely shocking. Mostly just terrible port after terrible port. On consoles they’ve mostly been fine though.
Maybe the exclusives have been fine but the consoles have plenty of buggy messes getting released on them too. They're definitely not unaffected by the industry releasing stuff in a terrible state.

Redlambs

Fair point. The missus seems happy enough with all the PS exclusives (bar Horizon 2, but that's only because of how annoying Aloy is :lol:) which is my metric because I haven't played them all myself.

For my part though, I just haven't been that interested in playing through much either console has released so I get where Veeva is coming from. Though rather than see it as stale, I just don't think there's many top tier games exclusive or otherwise that has interested me, which is a me problem more than anything. Though there are plenty of indie games to be getting on with, that scene is over-saturated if anything! My backlog huge there, on my desktop right now I'm legit looking at about 30 icons waiting for the click (old and new) not to mention anything I've missed on the GP or stuff not yet played on the Switch.

afrocentricity

Yeah but if Redfall was a ps5 exclusive you’d be chasing the delivery van down in your dressing gown again, so I’ll take that with a spoon of salt.
And all the people on metacritic too? I'm not even saying any thing controversial here...

Ainu

Truthfully I think the GP is pretty stale so I can see why that would be extrapolated.

As Alock would agree, still the best and most original thing on it is SoT!
Everyone knows Hollow Knight is the greatest thing in the observable universe and that's on GP, so I'm assuming you mean best after Hollow Knight. That is acceptable.

Bosws87

As a Sony fanboy I’ve bought myself an Xbox solely for this. Game event of 2023 for me. Cannot wait.
Big gamble, I’ve been watching starfield from afar and lots of things from fallout 4 which were terrible keep popping back up.

I’m leaning towards it’s gonna be not very good, could be pleasantly surprised.Just not sure if Bethesda have had their time as the top dogs of western RPG’s.

With their half assed approach to bugs and the condition it releases in, might be good x months down the line.

All guesses really we shall see. I personally hope it’s good be nice to have some top quality RPG’s

I was convinced cdprojekt were on the up and look what happened there

Redlambs

Big gamble, I’ve been watching starfield from afar and lots of things from fallout 4 which were terrible keep popping back up.

I’m leaning towards it’s gonna be not very good, could be pleasantly surprised.Just not sure if Bethesda have had their time as the top dogs of western RPG’s.

With their half assed approach to bugs and the condition it releases in, might be good x months down the line.

All guesses really we shall see. I personally hope it’s good be nice to have some top quality RPG’s
You give Vol too much credit.

He'll still be trying to figure out how to open the box before the inevitable first patch that fixes 10 things but breaks another 20.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I've played the sony exclusives, they're not bangers. Overhyped across the board. Even if you want to disregard that there just isn't many of them
They both have had some truly disappointing releases this generation too. For every Redfall you got Godfall / Babylon’s Fall / Forspoken which were equally terrible if not even worse.

PS5 has Ragnarok, Horizon and Returnal (though this one is not as accessible) to fall back on. Maybe Ratchet. It will have Spider-Man this year too. It’s better than what Microsoft have served but if Xbox wasn’t doing that terribly on exclusives front, it would be very disappointing as well. They are both almost 3 years in the market.

Sarni

And all the people on metacritic too? I'm not even saying any thing controversial here...
Well it’s not like PS5 hasn’t had exclusives as poorly rated as Redfall, even very recently. I bet you aren’t as harsh on Forspoken etc. though.

Bosws87

Everyone knows Hollow Knight is the greatest thing in the observable universe and that's on GP, so I'm assuming you mean best after Hollow Knight. That is acceptable.
I went through and completed this game on pc over a couple of days because of the cult on this forum, it’s good fun, a decent ish difficulty but I always preferred ori maybe it’s just the art style!

caid

They both have had some truly disappointing releases this generation too. For every Redfall you got Godfall / Babylon’s Fall / Forspoken which were equally terrible if not even worse.

PS5 has Ragnarok, Horizon and Returnal (though this one is not as accessible) to fall back on. Maybe Ratchet. It will have Spider-Man this year too. It’s better than what Microsoft have served but if Xbox wasn’t doing that terribly on exclusives front, it would be very disappointing as well. They are both almost 3 years in the market.
Yeah i'm usually about a year behind most so haven't played Ragnarok. Horizon 2 i've given up on and would have a hard time thinking of a worse sequel, Dead Space 3? Returnal ... had its moments, it was pretty original so i guess i'd forgive its quirks with the benefit of hindsight, i remember being pretty frustrated playing it though.

Redlambs

Well you think every game is a bit shite, so we're basically saying the same thing.
Get white texted you noob, Hollow Knight is outstanding. But I mean console exclusives and SoT and it's continuing evolution is something else (plus I was mostly digging at locky's inability to play it).

Besides, even if it were true I "think every game is a little shit", at least I always explain why. Unlike some of the guys who moan without even playing the games.

I went through and completed this game on pc over a couple of days because of the cult on this forum, it’s good fun, a decent ish difficulty but I always preferred ori maybe it’s just the art style!
I think it might be one of those that they are both so evenly matched, it depends on things like which you played first and of course the art preference.

Sarni

Yeah i'm usually about a year behind most so haven't played Ragnarok. Horizon 2 i've given up on and would have a hard time thinking of a worse sequel, Dead Space 3? Returnal ... had its moments, it was pretty original so i guess i'd forgive its quirks with the benefit of hindsight, i remember being pretty frustrated playing it though.
I’m the same. Will play Ragnarok eventually, bounced off Horizon at first attempt but intend to try again, I did not get into Returnal at all. I liked Tsushima thought it got boring towards the end.

I prefer PS5 exclusives library as it has more big titles that succeeded but it is still underwhelming. Xbox doesn’t have a single big game that did well.

caid

I’m the same. Will play Ragnarok eventually, bounced off Horizon at first attempt but intend to try again, I did not get into Returnal at all. I liked Tsushima thought it got boring towards the end.

I prefer PS5 exclusives library as it has more big titles that succeeded but it is still underwhelming. Xbox doesn’t have a single big game that did well.
Tsushima had excellent, well polished mechanics. Nothing original or new but very well executed. It was delivered in the most bland, forgettable package imaginable though. And its a ps4 game.
Theres been games released in recent years which i absolutely loved but none of them are sony / ms exclusives. They just filled some gaps between better titles.

Ainu

Get white texted you noob, Hollow Knight is outstanding. But I mean console exclusives and SoT and it's continuing evolution is something else (plus I was mostly digging at locky's inability to play it).

Besides, even if it were true I "think every game is a little shit", at least I always explain why. Unlike some of the guys who moan without even playing the games.
I admit I only saw the white text after my post but figured you would know not to take it too seriously, so couldn't be bothered to add in some of my own. :lol:

hobbers

Gaming is in a great place!
Not from any AAA game developer. They're all dumpster fires.

Indie games are in a good place though. I tend to think sub services like gamepass, while they clearly ruin AAA games between the lack of revenue and encouraging devs to released unfinished products, they are conversely really good for indie devs.

afrocentricity

Well it’s not like PS5 hasn’t had exclusives as poorly rated as Redfall, even very recently. I bet you aren’t as harsh on Forspoken etc. though.
Everyone else was harsh on it so I just swerved it. Been enjoying must of their output for the last few years though, and come on, that's not a controversial take...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I was convinced cdprojekt were on the up and look what happened there
Life is one big gamble dude and whether or not it’s no good or amazing, it’s the game I’m most looking forward to. Time will tell I guess.