Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fully Fledged

Redfall failing is a tragedy for everybody because they took a risk on something new and failed? Hah. No.

Redfall didn't have any new or original ideas, it's a coop PVE looter shooter which failed at every single copied element. What a clown.
It's the new IP that he's talking about. Yes they are trying to jump on the back of a trend which I hate, but we get it in TV, Movies and in games where we get 20 Superman films, 18 Batman films, we've got to be going on to the 12th Star Wars movie as well as a bunch of tv shows.

Nobody seems to be willing to take the chance on a new IP whatever the media, and this is to the determent of not only the creative industries but to everybody forced to watch or play them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rare situation where an exec is actually open and honest, and apologises for something - Sonycafe: insults appearance and calls him a clown. About sums it up

Chairman Steve

I remember seeing that Redfall game first time in a reveal trailer and thinking ‘yeah that’s flopping’. It looks like a rushed project and the game looks much worse than I thought it would.

Just go play L4D2 on PC, install some in-game mods to change it up and laugh at the suckers who paid full price for this and games like Back 4 Blood and Evolve :p

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So what's he saying? We can't compete on that front so we won't?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What’s alarming about Redfall isn’t that the game is buggy as hell. It’s that by all accounts, there isn’t actually a salvageable game of any particular note there. From everything I’ve read it has weak gameplay, bland writing / story and one note mission design.

Personally I do think Arcane are a bit overhyped and I never thought the Dishonoured series was as good as made out to be but Prey was really really good - with the first two thirds being superb - and Desthloop got great scores, so I’m surprised that they strayed from what they do well this much. If MS needed a winning exclusive, I would have just gotten them to recreate the magic of Prey in next gen form.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What’s alarming about Redfall isn’t that the game is buggy as hell. It’s that by all accounts, there isn’t actually a salvageable game of any particular note there. From everything I’ve read it has weak gameplay, bland writing / story and one note mission design.

Personally I do think Arcane are a bit overhyped and I never thought the Dishonoured series was as good as made out to be but Prey was really really good - with the first two thirds being superb - and Desthloop got great scores, so I’m surprised that they strayed from what they do well this much. If MS needed a winning exclusive, I would have just gotten them to recreate the magic of Prey in next gen form.
Microsoft didn't put Arkane on this path. They were already developing this game before the acquisition.

Otherwise agree with you. Game could have had another 6 months fixing the technical issues and release at 60fps and it'd still be a poor game.

CloneMC16

Surely this man won't be in the job for that much longer? There's brutal honesty here, but that is not a good look for Xbox.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Surely this man won't be in the job for that much longer? There's brutal honesty here, but that is not a good look for Xbox.
Meh, not the first time we've heard shite like this from the Xbox division, won't be the last. It's all a smokescreen to cover for the shocking management once again.

He's done a Moyes!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
He is wrong when he says great games won’t change things

if Starfield, Hellblade, Fable and another could of games all come out to top reviews and win game of the year awards people will take notice.

Balljy

if Starfield, Hellblade, Fable and another could of games all come out to top reviews and win game of the year awards people will take notice.
I was thinking the same. I just don't get that comment at all and I can't believe he really thinks that.

Some people will argue they have had a couple of good games this generation but there's such massive holes in the genres that there's no incentive to pick Xbox for a pretty big proportion of gamers. If the games you've mentioned are great games there'll definitely be a lot of people who buy in.

Alock1

He's right. And it is the first time he's said it, in the past he's been more ambitious in wanting to be the number 1 leading console but they haven't a chance (and I've said that here loads though Lambs will no doubt pretend this is new).

Brand loyalty to Playstation is way too strong to overcome without a disaster from Sony. The PS3 caught upto the Xbox 360 despite Xbox having a huge head start, way more availability, being a lot cheaper, leading on exclusives at least for the first half of the gen etc.etc. and he's clearly right that people are increasingly locked into ecosystems that they are investing in either digital purchases.

That doesn't mean they can't grow 2nd console sales though and have bigger mindshare in the US.

If Xbox this gen had dualsense, God of War 2, Horizon 2, R&C, Demon Souls whilst PS had gamepass and Halo; PS5 would still be the leading console by some distance.

hobbers

Xbox will always suffer for the fact that all their stuff is better on PC anyway. Including gamepass.

Alock1

When everything is purely an app and is available ubiquitously on all devices then it'll have some chance at clawing some market back in UK/US with the right entry level option (free with ads) and exclusive content.

Being 1st in console sales really isn't
the be all and end all to MS and there's enough money to be made even if you are the 3rd biggest player.

afrocentricity

How about games? What about some new really great games? Wouldn't that be great? The guy seems to be saying that they won't compete with Sony on that front and it seems to just be accepted on here... Hence my post in the other thread about expectations.

Alock1

How about games? What about some new really great games? Wouldn't that be great? The guy seems to be saying that they won't compete with Sony on that front and it seems to just be accepted on here... Hence my post in the other thread about expectations.
When did he say that?

afrocentricity

When did he say that?
What do you get from what he's saying? He sounds defeated and he states great games will not push the needle, do you agree? (I don't)

To me, if I had an XBox and I was still waiting on those games, I'd just give up after hearing that and sell it or just accept it as a gamepass machine. Is this where you are with it?

hobbers

Curious why you think it's better? The games sure if you have a good rig but I was under the impression there's less games in terms of sheer volume
There's less but that's all old stuff. Day 1 releases are always on both. With first party stuff, however bad the latest Gears, Halo, Forza etc is, they all run better on PC. Also all the good recent games to come out on Gamepass are PC indie games to begin with.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
He's right. And it is the first time he's said it, in the past he's been more ambitious in wanting to be the number 1 leading console but they haven't a chance (and I've said that here loads though Lambs will no doubt pretend this is new).

Brand loyalty to Playstation is way too strong to overcome without a disaster from Sony. The PS3 caught upto the Xbox 360 despite Xbox having a huge head start, way more availability, being a lot cheaper, leading on exclusives at least for the first half of the gen etc.etc. and he's clearly right that people are increasingly locked into ecosystems that they are investing in either digital purchases.

That doesn't mean they can't grow 2nd console sales though and have bigger mindshare in the US.

If Xbox this gen had dualsense, God of War 2, Horizon 2, R&C, Demon Souls whilst PS had gamepass and Halo; PS5 would still be the leading console by some distance.
I’d be an Xboxer if that was the case. Games rule all.

Alock1

I’d be an Xboxer if that was the case. Games rule all.
I doubt it. At best you'd have both.

I'm not saying it wouldn't sway some people but it wouldn't sway enough. Xbox wouldn't suddenly become the market leader.

afrocentricity

I'm not saying it wouldn't sway some people but it wouldn't sway enough. Xbox wouldn't suddenly become the market leader.
It doesn't have to but an improvement in that aspect would be good right? Right?

Alock1

It doesn't have to but an improvement in that aspect would be good right? Right?
I don't care. It'll happen naturally if they get their releases right though yeah. Let's see how the summer event goes and starfield looks. They've put huge pressure on Starfield delivering which I think is already difficult considering half the audience want Skyrim/Fallout in space and half want something new and fresh.

But just that alone wouldn't be enough anyway as he says. But if they could land something like Hellblade 2 this year alongside that and Forza, it could go some way to start turning some perceptions. I think they'd need to sustain that quality and quantity for 2-3 years minimum to start moving the needle (and even then it'll be small)

Balljy

There's brand loyalty for sure, but it's also a bit of an excuse. He owns up to mistakes with first party games, but then blames people just buying into what they know. The loyalty and trust comes from years of releasing quality exclusives. MS were never going to turn it around in one generation but they do need to start gaining traction.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It’s quite remarkable how they turned what began as a relatively successful launch into this current mess. Between superb subscription service, affordable unit in Series S, a cool looking lineup of future games and much less issues with supply than Sony faced they could have turned this into a much more successful generation but it all went downhill spectacularly since. Series S now struggles to run games at a decent level, the cool looking lineup has turned into endless delays, disappointments and cancellations and the subscription service has basically been neglected for the last six months (ever since they missed that second announcement in December or January they have basically been adding a few new games here and there but nowhere near the quality or quantity of before).

They sort of did the same with 360 and One but it least took another generation to undo whatever they did right with 360.

Even if it’s impossible for them to win globally, they have previously been in good position to win US and follow Sony quite closely in Europe. They will probably get hammered even in US now.

Starfield is a massive issue for them as well. The game is almost certain to be a huge buggy mess at launch, which they can’t afford, but they also cannot afford to delay it again (though I still reckon it won’t come out this year).

Fully Fledged

They just don't have the consoles on the shelves so great games are not going to sell more consoles.

b82REZ

They just don't have the consoles on the shelves so great games are not going to sell more consoles.
This is a blatant lie. I've seen Series X on shelves regularly since launch and they've been far more readily available than Switches and PS5s.

Alock1

This is a blatant lie. I've seen Series X on shelves regularly since launch and they've been far more readily available than Switches and PS5s.
No doubt. You snap up all the PS5s and Switchs to bathe in after your daily self punishment sessions.

Fully Fledged

https://www.gamesradar.com/buy-xbox-series-x-stock-updates/#:~:text=Why was the Xbox Series,phones due to the pandemic.
After two-plus years of stock shortages, Microsoft is more committed than ever to making sure store shelves – be that digital or real – are filled with Xbox Series X consoles. It's not quite up to what it could have been pre-pandemic, but it's arguably better than it has been since the gaming machine's launch

It's very different in the UK where we're seeing a steady stream of consoles available at Amazon(opens in new tab) with no invitation needed. Just add to your basket and away you go. Regardless. nothing is certain with Xbox Series X restocks. One minute there's a big supply, the next all gone. To keep up with all the latest Xbox Series X restock updates, head below for the latest information.
You can get the console but they are still selling out with the game situation as it is.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

If you have something serious to say, tag me. You have always made that excuse, yes. But you are also the worst person on here for revisionism with past discussions about this stuff.

I told you towards the end of the 360 gen the way it was going, before the boner years, and all during this generation too the problem MS had and continue to have. It's why they attempted to sell off the division and probably still would now. That hasn't changed, it's the same thing they keep doing which is a shame to me but also angers me as it's not rocket science the mistakes they continue to make.

And you keep doing the same "next gen 'la!" routine like you've done every single generation. Now you are talking about cloud/apps and all that as if it's some big saviour, ignoring the likely hood of yet another round of hardware (at least) to come in the mean time. Even with the Activision deal, one of the very things that they need to do to cement this saviour routine you expect, you are now downplaying it even though that directly contradicts your stance.

Phil coming out with the old "woe ist me" shit shouldn't be applauded by Xbox fans nor gamers in general. We need a strong Xbox division, not one that is headed by people who just will not learn nor understand. And that's the problem, especially with American companies in gaming, it's the arrogance and the fact that the people at the top (not necessarily Phil himself, though you have to wonder just how much clout he actually has) are just not gamers nor do they understand it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I feel increasingly like we need a different board for the Series S because the benefits of that console - namely its cheap price and gamepass - are still there. It's a great little machine.

The X being the flagship model is where the problems are due to a lack of big hitters. Then again, I also have no idea why people bought one instead of a PS5 if that's what you wanted.

b82REZ

I feel increasingly like we need a different board for the Series S because the benefits of that console - namely its cheap price and gamepass - are still there. It's a great little machine.

The X being the flagship model is where the problems are due to a lack of big hitters. Then again, I also have no idea why people bought one instead of a PS5 if that's what you wanted.
I think there's a general acceptance that the S will eventually become an albatross around MS neck.

It's a nice little machine for it's main purpose; a cheap entry level way to get casual or lapsed gamers into GP.

The issue MS have created for themselves is insisting there is parity between game releases for the S and the X. As games become more "next gen" MS surely have to revise that commitment to having their games be available on both.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think there's a general acceptance that the S will eventually become an albatross around MS neck.

It's a nice little machine for it's main purpose; a cheap entry level way to get casual or lapsed gamers into GP.

The issue MS have created for themselves is insisting there is parity between game releases for the S and the X. As games become more "next gen" MS surely have to revise that commitment to having their games be available on both.
That's fair. I think when that does happen I'll look towards buying a PS5 as currently the X doesn't offer close to enough for the upgrade.

b82REZ

That's fair. I think when that does happen I'll look towards buying a PS5 as currently the X doesn't offer close to enough for the upgrade.
That's a damning indictment though. The plan for MS was for gamers with the S to upgrade to the X, not jump over to the competitor.