Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think you'd do well to just alternate between all of them generally.

Nintendo makes the most fun games. PS5 has the occasional fantastic exclusives, and Xbox is splendid for indie/mid-tier games via gamepass.

Their strengths balance out the weaknesses of the other ones.
Yeah I definitely have advantages of having all three. I am trying to reduce the time I spend gaming though and in attempt to minimize the amount of stuff I have I could see myself giving up on one eventually. Switch is as untouchable as it gets.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Redfall didn't interest me anyway but looks a right flop.

Is this new Star Wars game worth buying or should I just wait for it to come to Game Pass?

caid

Redfall didn't interest me anyway but looks a right flop.

Is this new Star Wars game worth buying or should I just wait for it to come to Game Pass?
Buggy mess at the moment. It'll be a good Game Pass game.

Bosws87

At least they gave it that Bethesda touch by it being completely broken upon release!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Thought I give it a try to see how bad it is.

it’s as rough as a badgers arse

Bebe

Does anyone know why Arkane decided to stop making amazing single player immersive sims and started instead to make weird online shooters that nobody asked for?

Ainu

Does anyone know why Arkane decided to stop making amazing single player immersive sims and started instead to make weird online shooters that nobody asked for?
We can only speculate. Despite their earlier games being very well received and having a strong fanbase, the commercial success didn't really follow. On the surface this seems like an ill-advised attempt to reach a wider audience.

Whether this was the studio's own wish or forced on them by Bethesda, we don't know at this point. We can only hope they don't keep heading in this direction.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
If they literally released the Series X with remastered versions of OG 360 games, then did nothing else, it would have been 100x better.

Bosws87

How many baron console generations do you have to go as an Xbox loyalist, until it clicks?

altodevil

Barren.

In my defence this was my first console purchase since a supplemental PS3 in 2010 or so. I've really enjoyed the accessibilitiy and usability of the Series X, and that's the ecosystem my auld pals are in. Still, with crossplay now a thing I probably could have went PS5. I'm just not fussed for their exclusives though, bar early access to Dragon Quest titles and other JRPGs.

Realistically had I known everything I know now, probably would have still gone Xbox for the game pass deal alone.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Barren.

In my defence this was my first console purchase since a supplemental PS3 in 2010 or so. I've really enjoyed the accessibilitiy and usability of the Series X, and that's the ecosystem my auld pals are in. Still, with crossplay now a thing I probably could have went PS5. I'm just not fussed for their exclusives though, bar early access to Dragon Quest titles and other JRPGs.

Realistically had I known everything I know now, probably would have still gone Xbox for the game pass deal alone.
Yeah if you just skipped previous generation then Xbox is a good experience. It allows you to catch up on many big titles for free through GP or cheaply through store, you will have plenty to play. For someone who owned either console and was more or less up to date with big releases there’s very little (but that actually is also quite valid for PS5 to a slightly smaller extent).

PS5 would probably still have a bit more to play though as it had some bangers in the previous gen.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How many baron console generations do you have to go as an Xbox loyalist, until it clicks?
As opposed to what? Like 2 extra games might be worth playing? :lol:

And even those get slated plenty in the ps5 thread.

Let’s be honest. Gaming isn’t in a great place.

Ainu

Isn't it? Depends on your interests, I guess. Between indies, AA and AAA games, I've never had so many top quality options available to me.

Maybe if you're looking solely at the AAA market, with ballooning budgets, poor ports and dodgy monetization in some places, it doesn't look great. But as a whole, gaming is in a fantastic place for me.

Bosws87

It's not the best year for sure, but this is a standard Microsoft launch and console generation post the highly successful 360 and people keep getting pulled back in.

I think gaming in general is pretty stale now, but i've seen a few things recently that give me great hope.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's not the best year for sure, but this is a standard Microsoft launch and console generation post the highly successful 360 and people keep getting pulled back in.

I think gaming in general is pretty stale now, but i've seen a few things recently that give me great hope.

Yep, stuff like this is going to be very interesting (and scary).

Not just in VR, with mics in general. Although there's a depth of "HA! SAD!" going on there :lol:

DavelinaJolie

Barren.

I've been talking about my friends with this lately. First party games have mostly been a disappointment (not that I care for Halo anyway, and excepting FH), but I still get plenty of value from GamePass. With additions over the last 3-4 months like Valheim and Persona 5 Royal I've had plenty to play, along with my 5 year long Sea of Thieves obsession. There still plenty in there I want to play as well, along with Ravenlok this week.

With that said, Xbox need to sort their first party shit out. I'm now concerned about the Fable game, that's a series I love and I'm pretty concerned about the state it'll arrive in and, now, what kind of game it'll be. I wouldn't in retrospect change my decision as my group of mates are all on Xbox as well, plus the PS games just don't appeal to me aside from Demon's Souls, I can go get a PS5 if I want, I just don't have the inclination. However I understand why one of my friends downgraded to a Series S and got a PS5 and another bought a PS5 alongside his X.

I'm just really confused as to why Xbox/Bethesda thought it would be a good idea to rush Redfall to market. Say what you want about not having any games, but I think it's better to not have a game rather than a game that is broken, and a hot mess which drives a worse narrative that even if you had the games, they'd be a mess.

I'm also starting to get concerned that day one on gamepass means they think they can just release something that is unfinished and fix it along the way, like it's an early access for subscribers. I include Halo in that, because regardless of the quality of the released product, it's a MP focussed game that had sweet FA MP content on release, to me that isn't finished.

As Elon Musk would say: "Concerning".

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Isn't it? Depends on your interests, I guess. Between indies, AA and AAA games, I've never had so many top quality options available to me.

Maybe if you're looking solely at the AAA market, with ballooning budgets, poor ports and dodgy monetization in some places, it doesn't look great. But as a whole, gaming is in a fantastic place for me.
It is for me anyway. The best games are more of the same but with higher fps and nicer graphics (which is good but..). I think it’s particularly noticeable in AAA games though yeah. The third party offerings have been pretty barren.

And there’s not much that ps5 is offering that’s actually anything special and even less that interests me personally. I’d probably play Spooderman and God of War.

I agree, it’s very stale. Feels like rinse and repeat.

AI in games could take things to a new level. Just using it to create more interesting npcs in open world games would go a long way. And better enemies in shooters.

As for Xbox, I’m plenty happy with Game Pass.
They need to sort their first party stuff out though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm having a great time with games and have been for years. My backlog keeps growing too... Do not know what the feck some of you are talking about regarding gaming being stale, maybe play less crap?

Bosws87

It is for me anyway. The best games are more of the same but with higher fps and nicer graphics (which is good but..). I think it’s particularly noticeable in AAA games though yeah. The third party offerings have been pretty barren.

And there’s not much that ps5 is offering that’s actually anything special and even less that interests me personally. I’d probably play Spooderman and God of War.

I agree, it’s very stale. Feels like rinse and repeat.

AI in games could take things to a new level. Just using it to create more interesting npcs in open world games would go a long way. And better enemies in shooters.

As for Xbox, I’m plenty happy with Game Pass.
They need to sort their first party stuff out though.
Ive found the same as you, the odd indie game has peaked my interest but console gaming for me has always been the big triple A games.

I grew up on final fantasy, Metal gear solid, tomb raider etc and that’s still what I’m looking for on a console.

Ainu

Ive found the same as you, the odd indie game has peaked my interest but console gaming for me has always been the big triple A games.

I grew up on final fantasy, Metal gear solid, tomb raider etc and that’s still what I’m looking for on a console.
To each their own but I don't get why you would limit yourself like that, it feels a bit arbitrary. Great games are found in all shapes and sizes.

Bosws87

To each their own but I don't get why you would limit yourself like that, it feels a bit arbitrary. Great games are found in all shapes and sizes.
I play others on more suitable platforms.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Gaming is in a great place! People whine all the time about things not being what they used to be as they remember the best of the past. I’ve had so many of my best gaming experiences over the last 10 years.

altodevil

There were 360 games?
Halo 3
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Mass Effect
Dead Rising
Fable 2
PGR4
Forza Motorsport 2