Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adamsk7

Series S just has too many caveats. I don’t think it’s a surprise we still haven’t seen much of it in terms of people actually getting their hands on them and giving impressions. 364gb is not much space but then perhaps these are aimed at people that will just play one game at a time.

after hearing it can only run fortnite at 1080p 60 rather than its aim of 1440p, that doesn’t give me much hope that it’ll hit that resolution for many games going forward.

anyway glad I decided to go with the X in the end!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Whilst I don't care about the low SDD space on the S (the RAM still is, and will prove to be easily the biggest issue this gen for them), I do question those who call themselves gamers and yet claim they won't fill that up in minutes.

I mean, do you only play single player games and never look back? Sea of Thieves alone takes over 60 of that, and you can't just clear it and delete it.
I agree - it'd fill straight up for me and is definitely annoying on my current One S. But there's loads in this thread who only play one game, maybe 2 or 3 at any one point (that's what they said re Quick Resume) anyway so I assume it'd be perfect for them

As I said earlier though, for the people who this console appeals to - the mainstream gamer jumping between FIFA/Madden and COD for 12 months, or as a second console. It's grand. The new Assassins Creed game is apparently clocking in at 43gb on One X, maybe less on Series S, so as a 2nd console (where you're not going to be playing warzone) I think it works fine.

For me, I'm already figuring how I go about extending my 1TB on the X.

Last edited:

Alock1

Series S just has too many caveats. I don’t think it’s a surprise we still haven’t seen much of it in terms of people actually getting their hands on them and giving impressions. 364gb is not much space but then perhaps these are aimed at people that will just play one game at a time.

after hearing it can only run fortnite at 1080p 60 rather than its aim of 1440p, that doesn’t give me much hope that it’ll hit that resolution for many games going forward.

Yeah. It's a 1080p machine. It's built with people who don't have 4k TVs in mind, or want a budget console. Which to be fair, 1080p is more than fine for. Nobody has 1440p tvs, and those who have a 1440p monitor won't be buying a Series S (or maybe as a 2nd console to their PC - in which case graphically intensive games they'd play on the PC)

The 1440p is clearly just a marketing ploy to try and show people there's a 'leap' from the current gen to the new one, rather than a real resolution target.

The same way that PS5 and Series X are being marketed as 4k consoles but won't reach 4k native that often.

For the price, I don't think it comes with too many caveats at all for the casual gamer. Again, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are more expensive.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

To be fair, that's really cracking for the price. Considering a) Fortnite runs like shit these days as it's never been optimised properly, especially with the new engine...b) The X won't manage much higher than 1440p @60fps without concessions...and c) That's still waaaaay higher than you are used to, as neither the Pro nor boner X could get there properly (despite the bullshit claims).

Redlambs

I agree - it'd fill straight up for me and is definitely annoying on my current One S. But there's loads in this thread who only play one game, maybe 2 or 3 at any one point (that's what they said re Quick Resume) anyway so I assume it'd be perfect for me.

As I said earlier though, for the people who this console appeals to - the mainstream gamer jumping between FIFA/Madden and COD for 12 months, or as a second console. It's grand. The new Assassins Creed game is apparently clocking in at 43gb on One X, maybe less on Series S, so as a 2nd console (where you're not going to be playing warzone) I think it works fine.

For me, I'm already figuring how I go about extending my 1TB on the X.
I said since the official announcement, I like what they've attempted with the S. The memory issue is a huge bummer though, which I'm sure privately you'd agree as it is a terrible move, but the concept overall of a 1080/1440 @60fps console for that price and with ultimate is a master stroke. (it's a shame they completely fecked up who they chose to do the credit with though, I mean basically letting a company no better than Wonga in??? That's so fecking bad).

I don't think the SDD space should be defended with the "clear and delete" argument though, but I do agree that it's plenty enough for the casuals. I want to give the machine a full thumbs up, as I do prefer it to the terrible PS5 online console for what it does, but they have made that one big mistake when it could have been do much easier to get back into the fight this gen with the X as the flagship. It's frustrating seeing an open goal missed for me, plus I don't like what's happening at Rare and with Halo. It worries me that maybe lessons haven't been learned.

I am, though, expecting my X (or actually my son's who I'm giving it to) to arrive this weekend. And I'm getting really excited about it! I didn't think I would be :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I said since the official announcement, I like what they've attempted with the S. The memory issue is a huge bummer though, which I'm sure privately you'd agree as it is a terrible move, but the concept overall of a 1080/1440 @60fps console for that price and with ultimate is a master stroke. (it's a shame they completely fecked up who they chose to do the credit with though, I mean basically letting a company no better than Wonga in??? That's so fecking bad).

I don't think the SDD space should be defended with the "clear and delete" argument though, but I do agree that it's plenty enough for the casuals. I want to give the machine a full thumbs up, as I do prefer it to the terrible PS5 online console for what it does, but they have made that one big mistake when it could have been do much easier to get back into the fight this gen with the X as the flagship. It's frustrating seeing an open goal missed for me, plus I don't like what's happening at Rare and with Halo. It worries me that maybe lessons haven't been learned.

I am, though, expecting my X (or actually my son's who I'm giving it to) to arrive this weekend. And I'm getting really excited about it! I didn't think I would be :lol:
The memory won't be an issue when they bring out the Xbox Pro Series S in a few years

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Has your missus got control of your account? Your mum? Even your dog?

I don't get how twice in the space of an hour you've made sense...
I've never not made sense in the console threads. It's just raw facts and logic from me.

Redlambs

Out of interest @Redlambs why do you think the digital PS5 is terrible ?
Because I think they should have done what MS did and made it a 1080p version for a lot cheaper. It doesn't really serve a purpose at that price compared.

Anyway, how are you getting your X this weekend?
I'm breaking into a Game warehouse and fighting the power. I couldn't possibly have any other way, Elvis says so ;)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Because I think they should have done what MS did and made it a 1080p version for a lot cheaper. It doesn't really serve a purpose at that price compared.

I'm breaking into a Game warehouse and fighting the power. I couldn't possibly have any other way, Elvis says so ;)
Fair enough, I can understand both sides really. I think £359 is very competitive though.

Give Mike Ashley a slap if you see him

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You'd think but loads of people I know download their games digitally exclusively so I think they're buying into a big demographic . It's pure convenience over sense as the idea of buying a new game full price to have no ability to re-sell is madness.

Series S is Xbox's move to get a hand in the market of gamers who want a new console but don't want to pay full whack (which I think is sensible). Sony had a brand advantage there otherwise it would have likely gone the other way round.

Redlambs

Fair enough, I can understand both sides really. I think £359 is very competitive though.
It is, but it's still not the same. I dislike the architecture of both in terms of being mini-pc's (remember last gen me winding Weaste up about laptops!), but I do think the I/O and the SDD of the PS5 is at least console-like in terms of being a fixed unit that delivers way more than the stock parts of the Xbox. However, I do think the S is a great idea, it's just a shame they screwed it with the memory. The digital PS5 is lazy and nowhere near as attractive as the S for casuals.

Give Mike Ashley a slap if you see him
My hatred of Game predates that fat feck. In fact, it validates my hatred, as why else would he buy them if they weren't already incredible shitehawks?

You'd think but loads of people I know download their games digitally exclusively so I think they're buying into a big demographic . It's pure convenience over sense as the idea of buying a new game full price to have no ability to re-sell is madness.
Those kinds of people will be the norm. Nothing wrong with downloading games.

What I'm talking about is the general console gamers not actually knowing what they are seeing on the screen, I mean look in here and you'll see loads who don't even understand higher framerates! Why not capitalise on that and offer what MS have done, a machine that can play the games that look prettier that also work on their tvs for a lot cheaper? Just removing the drive is lazy, they could offer a better machine than the S for a similar price. Hell, make it £270 and just make sure the memory is the same as the full machine, that would be infinitely better!

Alock1

Haha, to be fair, the Klarna situation sounds a right mess. But they're hardly a wonga. A number of my clients are either offering Klarna or about to on the financing, and they're all big respectful brands. Not sure they are a Wonga (even though they may have acted it)

Agree on the clear and delete argument. It's the console for people who aren't gonna need loads of games on the device basically, which is still a hell of a lot of people. Anybody who jumps between games and has lots on the go shouldn't be thinking about the S.

On the memory, I wouldn't agree or disagree privately cause I'm not technical enough to know how much of an issue it's going to be to be honest. I'll have to take your word for it.

What have you heard about Rare and Halo? Obviously some senior management have left - that happens, and was bound to happen at 343 considering the Halo delay. These are big difficult projects, we haven't really heard that it's Microsoft that's the problem here.

On Rare, I know someone who recently left there to join Ubisoft and was there for a long time - they only had good things to say about the 'new' Microsoft (as they put it) and are incredibly bullish on where Rare is heading now after being pretty down on things. I don't know if there's been some big change in the last 2 or 3 months, or if this studio head departure is because of some bigger issue.. do you?

wr8_utd

:'(

Series S is Xbox's move to get a hand in the market of gamers who want a new console but don't want to pay full whack (which I think is sensible). Sony had a brand advantage there otherwise it would have likely gone the other way round.
This pretty much captures why I went for it. Never owned a console, I'm a casual gamer and the lower price + Gamepass was good enough for me. I do have an external HDD so I'm okay with swapping games out when needed (the speeds in the previews seemed pretty good). Someone like me wouldn't go for or feel the need for the Series X

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This pretty much captures why I went for it. Never owned a console, I'm a casual gamer and the lower price + Gamepass was good enough for me. I do have an external HDD so I'm okay with swapping games out when needed (the speeds in the previews seemed pretty good). Someone like me wouldn't go for or feel the need for the Series X
Yeah I feel this way too - except I contest the idea of the X only appealing to 'serious gamers', which is what Veeva implied earlier (he's in my bad books).

Gamepass has a lot of games, many of which offer more varied gameplay than some AAA counterparts that'll look bigger and shinier. S is a nice choice to have.

Last edited:

Alock1

So much for the series s being a 1440p machine.
It was always just marketing in very much the same way Series X and PS5 are supposedly 4k machines

It's for people with 1080p TVs. It doesn't need to be hitting 1440p anyway.

Balljy

As I said earlier though, for the people who this console appeals to - the mainstream gamer jumping between FIFA/Madden and COD for 12 months, or as a second console.
I don't totally agree with that. I saw it as an option as a second console for a "Game Pass" machine, but that would mean flitting between a boat-load of games possibly on a weekly basis which would be a nightmare if we're having to constantly install, delete and redownload games. I love Game Pass and will be subscribed to it on PC for as long as it's good value and I saw the S as a cheap way for MS to on-board people into that eco-system.

I guess what you're saying is it works as a casual machine, but not for Game Pass which is fine, but not what I thought it's main use case would be.

Alock1

I don't totally agree with that. I saw it as an option as a second console for a "Game Pass" machine, but that would mean flitting between a boat-load of games possibly on a weekly basis which would be a nightmare if we're having to constantly install, delete and redownload games. I love Game Pass and will be subscribed to it on PC for as long as it's good value and I saw the S as a cheap way for MS to on-board people into that eco-system.

I guess what you're saying is it works as a casual machine, but not for Game Pass which is fine, but not what I thought it's main use case would be.
It depends how you use game pass I guess. You can get 10+ games on the Series S if you're using it as a gamepass machine, considering the size of a lot of the games.

It'll help when you can stream games to the console from xCloud through gamepass but it's obviously not a solution for everybody.

Balljy

It depends how you use game pass I guess. You can get 10+ games on the Series S if you're using it as a gamepass machine, considering the size of a lot of the games.

It'll help when you can stream games to the console from xCloud through gamepass but it's obviously not a solution for everybody.
Yeah, true. I guess it depends on the type of player. A couple of the AAA games would seriously eat into it, but to be fair I tend to stick to a lot of smaller games to dip in and out of rather than the big names.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
GameStop Ireland - the store I nominated to collect on release is not operating the click and collect, got generic email to say how to pay and it will be delivered instead :drool:

All paid up. Only problem is my €50 deposit was converted to a voucher, voucher did not add on for me so I got charged the full price. I’ll just prob use the voucher against something else in the end.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
GameStop Ireland - the store I nominated to collect on release is not operating the click and collect, got generic email to say how to pay and it will be delivered instead :drool:

All paid up. Only problem is my €50 deposit was converted to a voucher, voucher did not add on for me so I got charged the full price. I’ll just prob use the voucher against something else in the end.
I got email this evening but my voucher worked fine thankfully. Hopefully couriers get them to us Tuesday

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I got email this evening but my voucher worked fine thankfully. Hopefully couriers get them to us Tuesday
I think it unhooked when I amended my postal address, as I wanted to put in my eircode.

not too fussed, I just want the console now. Might actually purchase Cyberpunk through GameStop instead.

Bojan11

For those of you who have Gamepass for Xbox, is Fifa 20 up on EA Play?
It’s not. You get a 10 hour trial, but then you have to wait till April or May when the game is dead for the full game to be up.

Edit: Access trial goes after full release. So not even the 10 hour trial is there.

wr8_utd

:'(
It’s not. You get a 10 hour trial, but then you have to wait till April or May when the game is dead for the full game to be up.
Isn't that for Fifa 21? Or is Fifa 20 also on the 10 hour trial? The EA section on the Gamepass site mentions FIFA 20 in the list of full games available but I'm not sure if it actually will be there or not.

Bojan11

Isn't that for Fifa 21? Or is Fifa 20 also on the 10 hour trial? The EA section on the Gamepass site mentions FIFA 20 in the list of full games available but I'm not sure if it actually will be there or not.
Sorry, thought you were talking about Fifa 21. Yeah the full game for 20 is up there.