Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Anyone played the Dishonoured games? With the Bethesda library on game pass now I was going to download Fallout 4 and play that again but then seen those and wondered what they were like. I remember liking the look of them at the time of release but never got round to buying them.
Dishonored 1 is one of my favorite games, looking forward to playing the sequel too. It's one of those games where you can approach situations in a variety of ways which I love.

DavelinaJolie

Octopath Traveller? Christ. I've got enough games I want to play/finish Undertale, Yakuza, Greedfall, Dishonoured series, The Falconer, Night in the Woods, Call of the Sea, The Outer World's, FE..

You're killing me Microsoft, I just don't have the time.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Octopath Traveller? Christ. I've got enough games I want to play/finish Undertale, Yakuza, Greedfall, Dishonoured series, The Falconer, Night in the Woods, Call of the Sea, The Outer World's, FE..

You're killing me Microsoft, I just don't have the time.
Yep. I get maybe a few hours in the week to play and some more time at the weekend. So much choice. So little time. The bastards.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Looks like a lovely headset but it's a bit shit that it doesn't come with a dongle by default to connect to PC.

I like that option to turn on the headset and it auto turns on the console.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Looks like a lovely headset but it's a bit shit that it doesn't come with a dongle by default to connect to PC.

I like that option to turn on the headset and it auto turns on the console.
That's probably the worst thing about it so far. I keep turning it on to connect to my phone for a call or podcast and it turns the console on. I don't know if it can be turned off. Hoping they can patch it in.

Traub

So I got myself the Series S, and I did the gold upgrade trick - so 3 years of gamepass ultimate for R1800 (just under 90 pounds).

have to say this is exactly what I was looking for. Literally just been playing for 10-20mins here and there, and using it as my main streaming device.I’m not willing to pay for AAA games, so I’m pretty much set for the next three years.

BristolRuss

More good news. Looks like Dolby Vision for gaming might be coming soon as it's currently rolling out for people on the Insider program.

Parma Dewol

So I got myself the Series S, and I did the gold upgrade trick - so 3 years of gamepass ultimate for R1800 (just under 90 pounds).

have to say this is exactly what I was looking for. Literally just been playing for 10-20mins here and there, and using it as my main streaming device.I’m not willing to pay for AAA games, so I’m pretty much set for the next three years.
Pretty much exactly what I did and I use it the same way too, odd bit of gaming here and there and also my main streaming device. Was well chuffed when the gamepass upgrade worked.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Just picked up a series S. Will jump in and out of it while I complete FF VII, but what's a good, not too stressful/sweaty multiplayer game for a 30 year old who doesn't game as much as he used to?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
One of the best things about gamepass is easily for multiplayer/co-op with mates. Absolutely game changer for us.

We've played more games together the last 4 months than in the 4 years before it. Currently smashing Galactic Stone (or whatever it's called), Warhammer and Golf with Friends.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Nier automata is fantastic, but I wouldn't trust those who did the PC port with anything. Piece of shit has too many bugs.
I would believe making a great version for a console is much easier though.

SmashedHombre

What sort of online games do you usually enjoy?
What sort of online games do you usually enjoy?
I’m easy. War zone was fun. Enjoyed a few MMOs. Like Sea of Theives. Anything where you can play on the same team as others. I opted for Destiny 2, though I dunno how new player friendly it is and I’ve heard it’s kinda grindy which I doubt I’ll have much time for. I’ve also never played Destiny and am likely to be shit

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I’m easy. War zone was fun. Enjoyed a few MMOs. Like Sea of Theives. Anything where you can play on the same team as others. I opted for Destiny 2, though I dunno how new player friendly it is and I’ve heard it’s kinda grindy which I doubt I’ll have much time for. I’ve also never played Destiny and am likely to be shit
I'm a destiny veteran, been playing since the destiny 1 alpha in 2014. I'm on ps5 otherwise I'd offer to play with you.

I'd say you should try to find a friendly clan who are open to helping new players. The game has matchmaking for most activities and it can be fun to run strikes with strangers.

Pvp and the pvevp mode Gambit can be brutal experiences, even for experienced players.

Also the game does a terrible job of explaining its depth for things like weapon and armour mods.

All this said, I'm 46 years old and addicted to it and play regularly with a group of friends. Completing a raid is one of the most satisfying experiences in gaming for me.

SmashedHombre

I'm a destiny veteran, been playing since the destiny 1 alpha in 2014. I'm on ps5 otherwise I'd offer to play with you.

I'd say you should try to find a friendly clan who are open to helping new players. The game has matchmaking for most activities and it can be fun to run strikes with strangers.

Pvp and the pvevp mode Gambit can be brutal experiences, even for experienced players.

Also the game does a terrible job of explaining its depth for things like weapon and armour mods.

All this said, I'm 46 years old and addicted to it and play regularly with a group of friends. Completing a raid is one of the most satisfying experiences in gaming for me.
A friendly clan would be ideal. I’d honestly play anything with the right people. Just trying to recapture some of my glory days of gaming when all my mates were online. Everyone is married with families and no time these days though.

Spent about an hour on Destiny earlier. It captured my attention, even though I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

GaryLifo

A friendly clan would be ideal. I’d honestly play anything with the right people. Just trying to recapture some of my glory days of gaming when all my mates were online. Everyone is married with families and no time these days though.

Spent about an hour on Destiny earlier. It captured my attention, even though I had no idea what I was supposed to do.
Have you at least started the new light quest? I suspect as a completely new player it didn't give you any choice but to do it anyway.

Not sure how familiar you are with looter shooter games, but if you're not so familiar, you are aiming to get better guns and armour as you play the various activities. The biggest issue in d2 for new players is that they removed the main campaign when they launched the beyond light expansion, so the original point of D2 is no longer in the game. This is because they removed some locations in the game to reduce its overall size.

So now, as a new player you have a brief new player quest chain that tries to teach you the basics, then you're onto content which is essentially expansions 4 and 5 with locations, a raid and a dungeon from expansion 3 (forsaken) but I think the campaign for forsaken was removed.

Weapons that are purple (legendary rarity) can roll with many different perk combinations, some absolutely incredible and a lot which are garbage. In the early game, any purple is going to likely be worth using, but once you reach the point where purple guns are dropping like rain, you can become more careful about which duplicates to keep and which to shard.

Armour is worth reading a guide on as it's a lot more complicated than it used to be. Better, but more complex

SmashedHombre

Have you at least started the new light quest? I suspect as a completely new player it didn't give you any choice but to do it anyway.

Not sure how familiar you are with looter shooter games, but if you're not so familiar, you are aiming to get better guns and armour as you play the various activities. The biggest issue in d2 for new players is that they removed the main campaign when they launched the beyond light expansion, so the original point of D2 is no longer in the game. This is because they removed some locations in the game to reduce its overall size.

So now, as a new player you have a brief new player quest chain that tries to teach you the basics, then you're onto content which is essentially expansions 4 and 5 with locations, a raid and a dungeon from expansion 3 (forsaken) but I think the campaign for forsaken was removed.

Weapons that are purple (legendary rarity) can roll with many different perk combinations, some absolutely incredible and a lot which are garbage. In the early game, any purple is going to likely be worth using, but once you reach the point where purple guns are dropping like rain, you can become more careful about which duplicates to keep and which to shard.

Armour is worth reading a guide on as it's a lot more complicated than it used to be. Better, but more complex
I'm honestly not sure what quest I'm doing. I just seem to be running around doing bounties at the moment. There's a few other level 1s around who seem equally lost though.

The only game vaguely similar to this I've played would be DC Universe Online which was about getting better weapons and armour to do higher level raids. Loved it though, but back then I was a known player in one of the top clans. Destiny seems like it could be fun if I can fund others to play with, I'm not sure how sustainable the enjoyment will be if I keep running solo though.

I do have a legendary gun, but I prefer that Halo-like assault rifle you start with. And I'm basically just choosing my gear based on what looks best right now as I don't fully understand the armour. What's the orange and purple symbols all about?

GaryLifo

I'm honestly not sure what quest I'm doing. I just seem to be running around doing bounties at the moment. There's a few other level 1s around who seem equally lost though.

The only game vaguely similar to this I've played would be DC Universe Online which was about getting better weapons and armour to do higher level raids. Loved it though, but back then I was a known player in one of the top clans. Destiny seems like it could be fun if I can fund others to play with, I'm not sure how sustainable the enjoyment will be if I keep running solo though.

I do have a legendary gun, but I prefer that Halo-like assault rifle you start with. And I'm basically just choosing my gear based on what looks best right now as I don't fully understand the armour. What's the orange and purple symbols all about?
So, armour currently comes in three elemental flavours - solar (orange symbol), arc (light blue symbol, and void (purple symbol). These mirror the elements on guns and the sub-classes of your super / grenade / meleee abilities of your guardian.

For armour, the elements really only affect which armour mods you are able to apply to them. e.g. there might be a mod that gives you extra grenade energy when you kill enemies with your melee attack, but you can only slot this on armour with arc elemental class. There's a lot of mods which can go into any type of armour and you have to gradually unlock these as you play the game. You can also buy a selection form the gunsmith in the tower each day if you have the right materials - I think mod components and glimmer.

I really do recommend searching youtube for any recent beginners guides as this will explain things far better, and with useful images, than I am able to do.

edit: this guy makes decent videos

evil_geko

I was choosing between Series X and DualSense controllers to buy for PC gaming and decided to order Series X one because of no-hassle native support. How is the quality of the actual gamepad compared to Xbone one, build quality etc? I heard Xbox One had big problem with Bumpers going out relatively fast or is it not true?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I was choosing between Series X and DualSense controllers to buy for PC gaming and decided to order Series X one because of no-hassle native support. How is the quality of the actual gamepad compared to Xbone one, build quality etc? I heard Xbox One had big problem with Bumpers going out relatively fast or is it not true?
I used the Series X controller for the first time recently, as I’ve got an Elite which I normally use.

Feels sturdy and the grip is a nice addition. Seemed like the triggers were slightly more set back which made it comfier.

evil_geko

I used the Series X controller for the first time recently, as I’ve got an Elite which I normally use.

Feels sturdy and the grip is a nice addition. Seemed like the triggers were slightly more set back which made it comfier.
Cheers! Was really close to getting DualSense but ease of native support won over. Maybe if PS actually got around to making a driver for W10 for better support, they would get more controller sales, but they like their exclusivity cocoon too much.

ShinjiNinja26

I’m currently playing through the Halo Master Chief Collection, just completed Combat Evolved and now onto Halo 2 but damn I forgot how good that game was!! :drool:

SmashedHombre

I’m currently playing through the Halo Master Chief Collection, just completed Combat Evolved and now onto Halo 2 but damn I forgot how good that game was!! :drool:
Love a bit of Halo. Let me know if you ever wanna run a 2 player Legendary campaign!

So, armour currently comes in three elemental flavours - solar (orange symbol), arc (light blue symbol, and void (purple symbol). These mirror the elements on guns and the sub-classes of your super / grenade / meleee abilities of your guardian.

For armour, the elements really only affect which armour mods you are able to apply to them. e.g. there might be a mod that gives you extra grenade energy when you kill enemies with your melee attack, but you can only slot this on armour with arc elemental class. There's a lot of mods which can go into any type of armour and you have to gradually unlock these as you play the game. You can also buy a selection form the gunsmith in the tower each day if you have the right materials - I think mod components and glimmer.

I really do recommend searching youtube for any recent beginners guides as this will explain things far better, and with useful images, than I am able to do.

edit: this guy makes decent videos

Awesome man, thanks. I'll check the video out. I do have a question - do people talk much in this game? I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone talking on mic, or using text chat even once so far. Does text chat even exist? Ar emost people running around in teamspeak? How does it work...?

I'm actually finding the Series S controller kinda small and painful on my right index finger. I prefer my PS4 controller over the news XBOX ones so far, but maybe I just need some time to adjust.

Conor

Is it hard to get hold of a Series X in the UK? They are sold out everywhere in Ireland.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Is it hard to get hold of a Series X in the UK? They are sold out everywhere in Ireland.
My friend got one last week off Smyths. Think they were up for a good 24 hours before selling out, so there's definitely stock trickling in.

Conor

My friend got one last week off Smyths. Think they were up for a good 24 hours before selling out, so there's definitely stock trickling in.
Yeah, I'm following some discord channel now that sends out stock alerts, hopefully I'll pick one up soon.

GaryLifo

Love a bit of Halo. Let me know if you ever wanna run a 2 player Legendary campaign!

Awesome man, thanks. I'll check the video out. I do have a question - do people talk much in this game? I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone talking on mic, or using text chat even once so far. Does text chat even exist? Ar emost people running around in teamspeak? How does it work...?

I'm actually finding the Series S controller kinda small and painful on my right index finger. I prefer my PS4 controller over the news XBOX ones so far, but maybe I just need some time to adjust.
There's no text chat in the game on console. Don't think there is on pc either. As for the team audio chat, it's off by default and most people don't use it.