Yahoo data breach | Round 2: 1 billion this time

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Heard about this earlier, their biggest feck up was not immediately alerting account holders.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm always baffled by how hackers are able to hack these huge tech-companies.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
What puzzles me the most is 500m people still having Yahoo accounts.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Ergh. Do I have a yahoo account? I can't see why I would, but I have one for everything else.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm always baffled by how hackers are able to hack these huge tech-companies.
All systems have flaws. There are some absolutely brilliant minds out there who choose to use their talents for the wrong things.

The Firestarter

I thought they had in the past? And the FBI?
Their sensitive networks are not linked to the global internet. If you refer to Snowden, he had the necessary clearance to access the data.

As far as the FBI are concerned, I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if true. The security standard is probably not the same as the agencies under the DoD.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Their sensitive networks are not linked to the global internet. If you refer to Snowden, he had the necessary clearance to access the data.

As far as the FBI are concerned, I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if true. The security standard is probably not the same as the agencies under the DoD.
Fair enough.

The Firestarter

FAO those who wonder how a big company like Yahoo can get hacked: Almost every online company uses some form of open source software. People develop software. People make mistakes. Other people find and exploit those mistakes. Some of them tell the whole world about those mistakes. Others keep this knowledge to themselves, for fun and profit.

In other words, an IT department can fix only what they know is broken. Unless the name of the company is Google or Microsoft , they will not have the talent or resources available to review every single line of code that forms all the 3rd party software they are using.

And there is the possibility of a feckup, meaning a security issue in some open source soft was publicly known, but they failed to patch their servers, and later that same issue was exploited by some 15 year old kit that downloaded a ready made tool.

Drifter

American
This happened in 2014?. Can't say i've ever used Yahoo but if this is their response time thank goodness i never did.

Round 2: 1 billion

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
They did it again. Kept this one quieter, for longer, even though it affected more!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My Yahoo email account is 19 years old, I just can't give it up.
So is mine. I got mine so early that I actually emailed someone at Yahoo in the mid 90s and got one on one tech support. They were very small back then.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I got an email from them today about this, thankfully it's not my main account and it's not linked to any other services like ebay, paypal, online banking etc.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I have like 10000+ unread messages. So much spam that I never bother with it, use gmail as my primary which has also become a spam haven.
I make sure I have promotions, social and updates turned on. That'll put the vast majority of spammy stuff in separate folders.

NinjaFletch

I think I'm probably one of those 1bn but feck knows what the email address or password was.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Why are people surprised that there are still so many Yahoo accounts? Who the hell actually deletes an internet account? 99% just stop using the account and let it rot, I bet over half of these Yahoo accounts are non-active.

Smores

Yahoo/Hotmail have always been weak security wise. As others have said its not really the account likely to be non-active thats the goal its all the information and linked accounts they can get their hands on. Especially those where your Yahoo account is the backup.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yahoo need to be shut down for good. This amounts to criminal negligence and lying to customers for so long only makes it worse.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I approve most of the CAF's new registrations and routinely see yahoo accounts with being used from places like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan etc....with Anglo sounding names like Charles_Jones4390@yahoo.com (I made that up) and the like. Sri Lanka in particular is a routine offender.