Yaya Touré: "I want to destroy the Pep myth" (France Football interview)

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Wasn’t the birthday cake incident when Pellegrini was the City manager, or was there another one during Pep’s first couple of seasons? I’ve lost track.

Also did they already fall out when they were both at Barca together (Barca sold Toure to City half-way through Pep’s time there), or did the bad blood only start at City?

Chripper

Wasn’t the birthday cake incident when Pellegrini was the City manager, or was there another one during Pep’s first couple of seasons? I’ve lost track.

Also did they already fall out when they were both at Barca together (Barca sold Toure to City half-way through Pep’s time there), or did the bad blood only start at City?
Can't remember. No doubt about it, though, it was a (weird) excuse to leave Manchester City. Sounds like his agent was in his ear in order to either get a raise or get a transfer.

Pep and Yaya definitely fell out during their Barcelona days. If memory serves, it was mainly due to Yaya not being paid Yaya money

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Can't remember. No doubt about it, though, it was a (weird) excuse to leave Manchester City. Sounds like his agent was in his ear in order to either get a raise or get a transfer.

Pep and Yaya definitely fell out during their Barcelona days. If memory serves, it was mainly due to Yaya not being paid Yaya money
Cake wasnt the reason Yaya left City, he left as a 35yr old. The cake issue was under Pellegrini
Their issue at Barcelona was because Pep brought Busquets from the academy to play as DM over Yaya and started moving him to CB and all over, eventually selling when the massive City offer came

Chripper

Cake wasnt the reason Yaya left City, he left as a 35yr old. The cake issue was under Pellegrini
Their issue at Barcelona was because Pep brought Busquets from the academy to play as DM over Yaya and started moving him to CB and all over, eventually selling when the massive City offer came
Isn't that what I said? :p

I think the "cake" thing was just a rumour that sprouted legs. If memory serves, Yaya was "hurt" because City didn't wish him a happy birthday. Ended up that they did, via tweet.

Maybe so, but it was also about money. I do remember it also being a positioning issue, but I can't remember.