Yemen Civil War

Sigma

Feel this needs a thread. Horrific what the people of Yemen are suffering.

Just read this story: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/07/middleeast/yemeni-girl-viral-photo/index.html

Sanaa, Yemen (CNN)In a hospital room in Yemen, well-wishers sing songs and play the guitar for five-year-old Buthaina. She smiles and tears begin to drop from her eyes. She then picks up her crayons and draws a sketch of her family.

Buthaina Muhammad Mansour al-Raimi is the sole survivor in her immediate family after an airstrike destroyed an apartment building in Yemen's capital on August 25, according to Yemen's Houthi-held human rights ministry and information ministry. The group also says the attack killed 16 people, including Buthaina's parents and five siblings.
Buthaina, now in the care of her aunt and uncle, her new guardians, doesn't know that yet. None of her relatives or doctors have told her.

The last family photo of the al-Raimi siblings together before an airstrike hit their homes. Buthaina, far right, is the only survivor.
Dramatic photographs published after the strike showed Buthaina being pulled from the rubble, her eyes sealed shut by bruises.
Shortly after, local media tried to interview her while she was on her hospital bed. Buthaina tried to force one of her eyes open to see who was speaking to her.
Little did Buthaina know that the tiny gesture would turn into a symbol of Yemen's plight.

The viral photograph captured by Karem Alzerii
The photograph capturing the moment prompted a powerful social-media campaign, highlighting the country's humanitarian crisis. Hundreds of tweets showed pictures of people mimicking Buthaina's gesture around multiple hashtags.

A fractured skull
At her hospital room this week, Buthaina is surrounded by relatives and well-wishers. The walls are decorated with children's drawings and balloons cover the ground.
Doctors say Buthaina has a fractured skull and many bruises to her body. Her uncle says they don't know when she will be discharged from the hospital.

The young girl's cousins try to entertain her with dolls. Buthaina, her rumpled curly hair tied in a ponytail, sits at the center of the gathering.
"She lost her entire family. It's been 10 days since they died and she still asks her uncle when her parents will visit her," Yasser al-Ghori, head of the emergency department of the hospital treating Buthaina, told CNN.

Buthaina draws on a balloon brought to her by one of her visitors.
"I can never replace Buthaina's father but she is my daughter now and will be forever. We hope our loss will lead to the end of the nearly three-year war that devastated Yemen and killed thousands of innocent children," Ali al-Raimi, Buthaina's uncle and guardian, told CNN.
Since March 2015, the UN Human Rights Office has documented some 13,829 civilian casualties, including more than 5,000 people killed.
Late at night, Buthaina wakes up screaming and crying, said her aunt Samah al-Raimi, who has been sleeping next to her. The woman added that she has trouble knowing whether the source of Buthaina's anguish is physical pains or bad dreams about the deadly night.
"Buthaina is a priority to me and I give her double personal time, compared to my daughter Sumayya. That is still not enough because the tragedy she went through cannot be forgotten, not now, not forever," Samah al-Raimi told CNN.
The ongoing Saudi-led military campaign against Yemen's Houthi rebels has prompted a string of humanitarian crises. According to UNICEF, a child dies every 10 minutes in the war-torn country from preventable causes like diarrhea, breathing infections and malnutrition.

UNICEF has also dubbed Yemen home to "the world's largest humanitarian crisis," as well as the world's biggest cholera outbreak, with over 600,000 cases of suspected cholera recorded by the World Health Organization in just four months.

'Technical mistake'
But the bombings are also taking a horrific toll. During the same week of the airstrike that killed Buthaina's family, the United Nations estimates that 58 civilians have been were killed in airstrikes, including 42 in bombings by the Saudi-led coalition. That death toll is higher than in the entire month of July, which saw 57 civilian deaths.

Saudi Arabia has acknowledged the deadly airstrike and said it resulted from a "technical mistake," according to a statement from the state-run Saudi Press Agency on August 25.
The attack flattened two buildings in Sanaa's southern district of Faj Attan, amid escalating violence in the war-torn country.
A Saudi-led coalition spokesman expressed "deep sorrow for this unintentional accident and for the collateral damage among civilians."
Buthaina's supporters in Yemen say they hope that the girl's pain will open the eyes of the rest of the world to a war that has gone unnoticed by far too many for far too long.
Heartbreaking

Kaos

The west are just as complicit in this as the deplorable Saudi cnuts who created this mess. We even had the British Defence Secretary telling MPs to shut up about Saudi Arabia so they can continue selling them weapons to prolong the suffering.

It's very simple, pull out support and funding for this Saudi campaign and carry out a monumental aid effort before many more succumb to disease and famine.

jackofalltrades

Coalition with support from the west. I think previously there was a blockade against commercial shipping, but now even against aid shipments.
Looked into this a bit and found an article by Alex de Waal about famine as a weapon of war. The docks in Yemen have been bombed so the cargoes have to be unloaded the old fashioned way. According to the article the naval blockade is supposed to allow food in, however it was written in June so that might have changed either officially or unofficially. How easily and fairly it's distributed is another matter too.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Iran wanted to help Yemen. It is geopolitical, there is a proxy war ongoing between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

The West is aligned with Saudi Arabia, they buy our arms.

Interestingly Syria used to buy Russian arms and will probably continue to do so.

iam_kramer

Really interesting too the power struggle between Iran and Saudi Arabia, with Yemen and Lebanon both suffering hugely. It could in a year's time be much much worse but hopefully for the sake of millions involved they can sort it out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Iran wanted to help Yemen. It is geopolitical, there is a proxy war ongoing between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Interestingly Syria used to buy Russian arms and will probably continue to do so.
France called out Saudi Arabia and is on the side of Lebanon. So it's not as clear as you think.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It is geopolitical, there is a proxy war ongoing between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

I agree and I like to quote myself

My understanding:

Team Iran (sponsor: Russia) : Syria, 75% of Lebanon, 50% of Irak, 25% of China
Team USA/KSA: the UAE, Koweit, Bahrein, Israel, France, the UK >>>>> They want a change of regime in Syria/Iran BY ANY MEANS

Qatar doesn't want to promote a future conflict involving Iran and - consequently - was punished by his neighbours

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
France called out Saudi Arabia and is on the side of Lebanon. So it's not as clear as you think.
Well per my understanding France has links with Lebanon and Syria from before the Russians got involved. I don't see France having any influence in Syria anymore though perhaps they will have more success re the Lebanon.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Those children are being killed with British made bombs.
I wish the worst on people in power.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
If we didn't supply the bombs that kill little kids someone else would

Will somebody not think of the money!

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
If we didn't supply the bombs that kill little kids someone else would

Will somebody not think of the money!
That is exactly what drug dealers say.

What is appaling is the lack of information about the conflict.

Most of the people don´t know that there is a conflict there. Most people that knows, they know that "something is happening".

Even me, that I have some sort of interest in politics and international geostrategic information, I do not know 95% of what is happening.

Even this thread has only 1 page, while Siria or Libia had multiple pages. And probably less people died. But we don´t even know the numbers

Nucks

RT History Department
That is exactly what drug dealers say.

What is appaling is the lack of information about the conflict.

Most of the people don´t know that there is a conflict there. Most people that knows, they know that "something is happening".

Even me, that I have some sort of interest in politics and international geostrategic information, I do not know 95% of what is happening.

Even this thread has only 1 page, while Siria or Libia had multiple pages. And probably less people died. But we don´t even know the numbers
The reason this thread has no traction, is because we're involved as the supporting actor. The west.

Syria, Libya, it was evil dictators who were not in our back pocket, oh and the evil Russians are in Syria doing evil Russian things. It's an us vs them mentality. What we do we ignore conveniently, while we point fingers at everyone else, even when what we're doing is on a much larger scale, and therefore harmful scale.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The reason this thread has no traction, is because we're involved as the supporting actor. The west.

Syria, Libya, it was evil dictators who were not in our back pocket, oh and the evil Russians are in Syria doing evil Russian things. It's an us vs them mentality. What we do we ignore conveniently, while we point fingers at everyone else, even when what we're doing is on a much larger scale, and therefore harmful scale.
You think so?

Maybe in england but in other parts like here in canada, or in Spain where are I am from and not THAT involved or at least not less than in Syria through proxies like Saudi Arabia, or things I do not know... But people of countries that are not involve knows practically nothing

In my Opinion is that Syiria is more strategic, mediterranian sea, closer to Europe, neighbour with Turkey, Israel and Iraq, oil...

And Yemen has not as much west interest

Also, I think (because I have bearly knowledge) is that US, UK and France are more directly involved in the killing (Saudi Arabia of course but they don´t care) and the attrocities are far worse, sepecially with neglecting relief help and they avoid that any information reaches the mainstreaam

Someone that knows better? I am really in the dark on this

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The reason this thread has no traction, is because we're involved as the supporting actor. The west
That's partly the reason, but it's also to do with the fact that, in comparison with say Syria, Yemen is regarded as a poor, backward country on the periphery of Arab affairs which few Western academics or analysts know much about, and with little symbolic (Syria is after all "the beating heart of Arab Nationalism") or strategic (Syria is a confrontation state with Israel and is in the thick of the politics of the Middle East) value. And of course the death toll seems to be considerably lower than Syria (300,000 - 450,00 in Syria to judge by some reports compared to something in the tens of thousands in Yemen - obviously I've no clue personally but these are the types of numbers generally reported which may explain, in part, the indifference).

Nucks

RT History Department
You think so?

Maybe in england but in other parts like here in canada, or in Spain where are I am from and not THAT involved or at least not less than in Syria through proxies like Saudi Arabia, or things I do not know... But people of countries that are not involve knows practically nothing

In my Opinion is that Syiria is more strategic, mediterranian sea, closer to Europe, neighbour with Turkey, Israel and Iraq, oil...

And Yemen has not as much west interest

Also, I think (because I have bearly knowledge) is that US, UK and France are more directly involved in the killing (Saudi Arabia of course but they don´t care) and the attrocities are far worse, sepecially with neglecting relief help and they avoid that any information reaches the mainstreaam

Someone that knows better? I am really in the dark on this
Then how do you explain the US bombing of Mosul in 2016?

In 2016, Syria and Russia took part in a bombing campaign of Aleppo, that we in the west decried as a war crime, and a crime against humanity. Meanwhile, a few hundred kilometers away, in what were fundamentally the exact same circumstances, the US and Iraq were bombing Mosul.

Those circumstances? Radical Islamists had captured Mosul and large parts of Aleppo. They were holding the civilian populations in their areas of control as human shields and hostages. They were executing any civilians who attempted to flee to government controlled areas.

What was the difference here? Was it because Al-Qaeda affiliates controlled Aleppo, while ISIL controlled Mosul? Or was it because WE were bombing Mosul and THEY were bombing Aleppo?

Also, I wouldn't write Yemen off as being related to oil. Saudi Arabia wanted to build oil pipelines through Yemen, to Qatar and ultimately Iraq to take part in the Qatar -> Turkey pipeline. When the Yemen civil war erupted and the Houthi forces began winning and taking control of the government, Saudi Arabia intervened. It could be a coincidence, but, do we really think it was a coincidence?

Nucks

RT History Department

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Then how do you explain the US bombing of Mosul in 2016?

In 2016, Syria and Russia took part in a bombing campaign of Aleppo, that we in the west decried as a war crime, and a crime against humanity. Meanwhile, a few hundred kilometers away, in what were fundamentally the exact same circumstances, the US and Iraq were bombing Mosul.

Those circumstances? Radical Islamists had captured Mosul and large parts of Aleppo. They were holding the civilian populations in their areas of control as human shields and hostages. They were executing any civilians who attempted to flee to government controlled areas.

What was the difference here? Was it because Al-Qaeda affiliates controlled Aleppo, while ISIL controlled Mosul? Or was it because WE were bombing Mosul and THEY were bombing Aleppo?

Also, I wouldn't write Yemen off as being related to oil. Saudi Arabia wanted to build oil pipelines through Yemen, to Qatar and ultimately Iraq to take part in the Qatar -> Turkey pipeline
. When the Yemen civil war erupted and the Houthi forces began winning and taking control of the government, Saudi Arabia intervened. It could be a coincidence, but, do we really think it was a coincidence?
That's a rather bizarre route, isn't it?

Nucks

RT History Department
That's a rather bizarre route, isn't it?
I tried to simplify it and probably garbled it in a rush. It also has to do with Oman and Iran, the strait of Hormuz and other geo-political issues.

They can't lay the pipe to the west, for what I think are relatively obvious reasons.

There are as I understand it two issues at play here. Since current pipe infrastructure is inside the Gulf of Aden, and inside the straight of Hormuz, the Saudis have been looking for a terminus outside the political control of others. One of the proposed pipelines, exits in Yemen outside of the Gulf of Aden. The other issue is, Iran and Oman have their own gas pipeline agreement that they signed recently. Since the Saudis and the Iranians are basically mortal enemies, Oman signing an economic agreement with Iran basically ruins their relationship with the Saudis. Since pre-existing oil pipelines as far as I know, all terminate inside the Persian gulf (inside the straight of hormuz) or inside the Gulf of Aden, Saudi Oil is somewhat vulnerable to the activities of foreign governments. Oman is now in the Iranian camp, so that increases the jeopardy of oil coming out of the Persian gulf.

I just assumed as I was writing it, that the two pipelines would be more closely related, but you're right that doesn't make sense. It isn't about pushing their oil through to Qatar and that potential pipeline, it's about bypassing the Straight of Hormuz and the Bab-el-Mandeb strait. Something that became more important to the Saudis when Iran and Oman got buddy buddy in 2014.

It's actually in the wikileaks. “A British diplomat based in Yemen told PolOff [US embassy political officer] that Saudi Arabia hadan interest to build a pipeline, wholly owned, operated and protected by Saudi Arabia, through Hadramawt to a port on the Gulf of Aden, thereby bypassing the Arabian Gulf/Persian Gulf and the straits of Hormuz."

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
@Nucks hah...yeah, that makes much more sense. Terrible that another proxy war fueled by the interests of keeping oil transmission routes open will result in so much suffering by innocents. And it seems to barely register a blip on the general consciousness (in the US at least) unlike Syria.

It bears some similarities to Afghanistan post the Iraq War in that regard, but maybe even worse given the blockade and resulting famine and disease outbreaks.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Sigma

What a disgrace. The bombs used were found out to be made in the US too. Despicable.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Saudi Arabia have said the school bus did not have any kids, was a legitimate target and there's nothing to see.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Absolutely criminal the way Saudis have behaved in the war. Their second rate military is only good for places like Yemen.

Kaos

Absolutely criminal the way Saudis have behaved in the war. Their second rate military is only good for places like Yemen.
The cowards resort to cowardly collective punishments because their hapless military with all their modern military tech can barely handle a bunch of sandal-wearing kids with rusty AKs. It’s not as easy when you don’t have Uncle Sam fighting your battles.