Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

He is a green horn, a project no top club has time for. It would be like buying him from Palmeiras. He is not a squad CB for 10m, for 45m you expect much more, not another Rojo or Lindelöf

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Still nothing with any credibility even linking us to this guy.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is surely bullshit.

Barcelona sign him for £9 million eight months ago, he plays a handful of games and is dreadful. Then he comes out to the press and states that he can’t handle the pressure of playing for Barcelona.

If the board sign off a £40 million purchase of this guy then they should all be fecking sacked.

Realistically, with the players form etc, nobody should be paying more than £20 million for him.

Ekeke

No he's not. You perform for your club and you're worth the price tag.

He may well transcend his national form to club form this season and I hope he does. But until he does so I don't see the value yet.
He's already performed for his club sides. A great performance leading his side to the world cup on top of that and any club who successfully buys him from us will be paying a lot more than what we paid, £100 million maybe more

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is surely bullshit.

Barcelona sign him for £9 million eight months ago, he plays a handful of games and is dreadful. Then he comes out to the press and states that he can’t handle the pressure of playing for Barcelona.

If the board sign off a £40 million purchase of this guy then they should all be fecking sacked.

Realistically, with the players form etc, nobody should be paying more than £20 million for him.
He scored three World Cup goals since then. Do not underestimate the power of this.

Ekeke

This is surely bullshit.

Bailly shows how much less pressure there is at United. He'd be in the same situation as Mina at Barcelona and yet it seems the vocal posters here rate him as our best CB, despite making lots of mistakes last season / current time.

WPMUFC

If Toby is 60-70 and Mina is ~40, i'd like to see how they justify that for Mina, a player that would be out the door and playing for everton or swansea for 15 million in two seasons.

Bestietom

After a couple of good games in the WC his fee skyrockets. If he was that good Barca would not be selling him after just one season.

WPMUFC

After a couple of good games in the WC his fee skyrockets. If he was that good Barca would not be selling him after just one season.
if he was that good, he'd be mentally strong enough to try and win a spot in one of the worlds top teams. Yet he simply wants to bolt out the door for an easy ride.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We've currently have 5 CBs, all of which are squad players at best. Smalling is the most consistent of the lot. Jones and Rojo are rash and injury prone. Lindelof is works in progress. Bailly is the best defender of the lot but he's so injury prone. Tuanzebe is very promising but he need regular football so I guess he'll be loaned for a year or two.

I haven't followed Mina and Toby to come up with a definitive opinion about them, however from what I've seen they are two different type of players. Mina is the typical old fashioned CB. He's fantastic in air, he's decent defensive wise but he can be uncomfortable with the ball if put under pressure. Toby on the other hand is very experienced, he's comfortable with the ball and he's got decent pace. So they are two different players

So I won't be surprised if Mou has his way he'll get them both. Which might explains why United are pushing to get rid of various members of our defence from Blind (sold) to Darmian right to Rojo.

gr3yham3

We've currently have 5 CBs, all of which are squad players at best. Smalling is the most consistent of the lot. Jones and Rojo are rash and injury prone. Lindelof is works in progress. Bailly is the best defender of the lot but he's so injury prone. Tuanzebe is very promising but he need regular football so I guess he'll be loaned for a year or two.

I haven't followed Mina and Toby to come up with a definitive opinion about them, however from what I've seen they are two different type of players. Mina is the typical old fashioned CB. He's fantastic in air, he's decent defensive wise but he can be uncomfortable with the ball if put under pressure. Toby on the other hand is very experienced, he's comfortable with the ball and he's got decent pace. So they are two different players

So I won't be surprised if Mou has his way he'll get them both. Which might explains why United are pushing to get rid of various members of our defence from Blind (sold) to Darmian right to Rojo.
Both? In the same window? I think will only happen if we can get a good price for Mina, something like 30m Euros or lower, together with a good price on Toby. I can see where you are coming from, especially if we play 352. Can see Rojo going by next Thursday and maybe Jones in the next window if these transfers happen. Also I think we might see Lindelof at RB at times too.

Sarni

We can’t have six center halves in our squad. If we signed both Mina and Alderweireld we would need to sell at least one of Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Lindelof. There isn’t enough time to do this though because we can only sell Smalling and Jones within England, I doubt we would be willing to sell Bailly who has actually been all right and Lindelof only joined a year ago.

We will sign one and it’ll IMO be Alderweireld, signed for a bit too much but I don’t mind since he would instantly become the leader of defence.

Bestietom

We also have Fosu Mensah who can play as a CB or FB, but Mourinho don't seem to want him. He should let him and Tuanzebe go if he is not going to try them.

devilish

We can’t have six center halves in our squad. If we signed both Mina and Alderweireld we would need to sell at least one of Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Lindelof. There isn’t enough time to do this though because we can only sell Smalling and Jones within England, I doubt we would be willing to sell Bailly who has actually been all right and Lindelof only joined a year ago.

We will sign one and it’ll IMO be Alderweireld, signed for a bit too much but I don’t mind since he would instantly become the leader of defence.
That's a given. I think we'll sell Rojo, loan Tuanzebe and probably Lindelof and keep Mina, Toby, Smalling, Jones and Bailly. Then we'll go back to the drawing board next year and see who succeeded and who failed and act accordingly. Lets face it, Jones and Bailly are injury prone while it doesn't really bide well to Smalling that we needed to spend 40m+ to add an experienced CB to lead the defence. If Tuanzebe and Lindelof do well then I can see 2 of our current 'first team crop' being replaced by those two.

It all depends on our ability to get the maximum from our unwanted players while spending the minimum on the players we want. If we get things right (30m for Rojo, 20m for Darmian and lets say 30m for Mina and 40m for Toby) then I can see things go that way. That's a big if though

Maybe Im overthinking this. However you have to admit that going for 2 completely different CBs is a bit loony. Its like a club wanting a left winger and put Park and Nani in their hit list. They are two different players.

Last edited:

devilish

We also have Fosu Mensah who can play as a CB or FB, but Mourinho don't seem to want him. He should let him and Tuanzebe go if he is not going to try them.
I wouldn't be that sure about that. The squad is screaming for new fbs yet Mou seem relenting on that. In my opinion Shaw's chance is gone. He's on his last year of his contract, Mou had argued with him countless times and according to reports he turned Everton down. Meanwhile both Valencia and Young are in 33yrs+, which lead us to Dalot, Mitchell and TFM. If I was a United kid playing as a fullback then I'll fancy my chances.

SAF used to hype his kids in a bid to inspire confidence in them. Old school continental managers tend to have the opposite approach. They think that bashing kids is the best way to keep them in line and focused on their development.

Enigma_87

You know who

Agreed.

Although I wouldn't be against selling both Smalling and Jones. Both are spent at United and wouldn't rely on them staying fit.

Bestietom

I wouldn't be that sure about that. The squad is screaming for new fbs yet Mou seem relenting on that. In my opinion Shaw's chance is gone. He's on his last year of his contract, Mou had argued with him countless times and according to reports he turned Everton down. Meanwhile both Valencia and Young are in 33yrs+, which lead us to Dalot, Mitchell and TFM. If I was a United kid playing as a fullback then I'll fancy my chances.

SAF used to hype his kids in a bid to inspire confidence in them. Old school continental managers tend to have the opposite approach. They think that bashing kids is the best way to keep them in line and focused on their development.
Your Right, But I can see him loaning out both Tuanzebe and Fosu again this season. Then we will have injuries to most of our backline again, and have to play someone out of position. At least 1 of these should be kept as a squad member, maybe even both.

Sarni

Agreed.

Although I wouldn't be against selling both Smalling and Jones. Both are spent at United and wouldn't rely on them staying fit.
I wouldn’t mind selling either of them too. I think we could find a buyer for Smalling quite easily, his injury record isn’t that terrible and he has been all right in the league. I think we would find it tough to quickly find someone to take Jones, he’s almost always injured and has not developed the way we would have expected him too.

I want to keep Bailly and Lindelof for sure. I really hope Lindelof can step into a more important role this season, he has the potential to become very good.

Enigma_87

You know who
I wouldn’t mind selling either of them too. I think we could find a buyer for Smalling quite easily, his injury record isn’t that terrible and he has been all right in the league. I think we would find it tough to quickly find someone to take Jones, he’s almost always injured and has not developed the way we would have expected him too.

I want to keep Bailly and Lindelof for sure. I really hope Lindelof can step into a more important role this season, he has the potential to become very good.
Agreed on all accounts. We also need to give Lindelof a chance. He hasn't really settled in and his style isn't really easy to adjust to the PL right away. He has qualities, still very young, seems to be fit most of the time and could potentially be a good squad player if not regular starter.

devilish

Your Right, But I can see him loaning out both Tuanzebe and Fosu again this season. Then we will have injuries to most of our backline again, and have to play someone out of position. At least 1 of these should be kept as a squad member, maybe even both.
I hope you're wrong mate. Valencia is on borrowed time and if Darmian leaves then TFM will be needed here.

matsdf

He's 1/4 coming to us on sky at the moment. That doesn't necessarily mean anything of course, but anyone doubting we are in to sign him can make some change backing the other alternatives.

Anyways. Would rather have this lad than Maguire.

Ekeke

if he was that good, he'd be mentally strong enough to try and win a spot in one of the worlds top teams. Yet he simply wants to bolt out the door for an easy ride.
To another of the world's top teams? :lol:

At Barcelona he's expected to pass like Pique. They dont care if a defender actually defends well. At United he'd be competing with Bailly, Lindelof and Jones. You can make mistakes often and still be called our best CB like Bailly because everything is going to be blamed on Smalling. So like it or not theres much less pressure for a CB here. If Lindelof was at Barcelona he'd have been on his way too but instead he will probably get his chance this season after a pretty good world cup.

jmaggio

The princely sum of £30million ain’t what it used to be. If we spent it on Mina it would be a risk, but maybe we are getting desperate.

At 6ft 4ins, he’s Barcelona’s tallest player, ahead of Gerard Pique and Sergio Busquets. It’s no surprise that he started his career as a goalkeeper - a family tradition - before converting to defence.

Mina developed a reputation for exuberant dancing and pulled off some slick moves at his presentation, during which he strolled out barefoot at the Camp Nou, to feel the grass beneath his feet. It proved to be one of the rare occasions he was able to do so in a painful half-season at Barcelona. Valverde lost faith in him and he was rarely even on the bench, behind vermalen. From what I have read and seen, nothing came off for him in BArca.

Conversely in Russia, everything did. After being benched for Colombia’s opening defeat by Japan, Mina was picked against Poland and never looked back. He scored, netting again in the final group match against Senegal and then equalised against England to send the last 16 tie to extra-time.

Mourinho will find in Mina a defender with potential, someone liable to make mistakes and get caught out by fleet-of-foot forwards, but also a player who, like Fellaini, can cause havoc in the air.

Davs

Stay positive lads and ladies. Remember that we gave Barca an absolute bargain when we let them have Pique all them years ago. What a steal that was. Let's hope this is some sort of payback in 3-4 years time!

Sterling Archer

Like I've said before in this thread; if he not good enough for this forum then he's good enough for me.
:lol: that's seriously on the money. You'd expect some sort of introspection after the countless cafe gaffes but somehow the arrogance grows. I'm with you mate.

devilish

Wait til I roll out classics like “Yerry Christmas” or “Yerry! Yerry!” When there’s a brawl
I hope we'll sign Toby too. Toby will be chasing Yerry like a cat chasing a mouse in one of those warner bros cartoons.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Personally, I'd bring him and Fellaini on as strikers when we're 1-0 down with 10 mins to go and just kick and rush it.

MrSingh2002

Gotta be a smokescreen.. I'd hate to see him at the back with Bailly. Mina ends up on his arse every 2 minutes. Can see how his style of play would be more suited to the premier league than la liga but he would be a round peg in a square hole.

jesperjaap

Totally agree. Though I dont think the outgoings mean two centre backs. Blind was not even playing, Darmian at full back. I expect one to go, probably Rojo, one in, would still be five centre backs and the kids too. If Bailly could stay fit and be consistant and we sign a good centre back, we would actually have a pretty decent spine (though not a Lukaku fan at all personally). Add in Sanchez playing like Sanchez rather than the player we saw last year, a massively progressed Lingard and it isnt all doom and gloom....still nowhere near what we needed to do this summer mind.
I do think Toby is a very good centre back, but really disagree with him holding SPurw together, Vertonghem and Sanches are also both very good and controversial but are we raving about Toby at bit much perhaps? The premiership did improve a hell of a lot last year, it showed in Europe.....but I still dont think any of the top clubs defences really compare with others around Europe individually or collectively

Litch

Toby and Yerry maybe. Already got rid of Blind so sell Rojo and job done.....

Hughie77

Getting the ball outside of our box will be a real problem with those two as CBs. We need a ball playing CB considering that all our CBs bar Lindeloff aren't comfortable at passing the ball.
Your right I now think Alderwiereld is a better fit even if he's dearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.