Young to get 1 year extension

deadrevelz

Name me one thing that makes young a leader please.
Just one.
I already did, maybe you should read the posts you are replying to. He has a strong personality in the dressing room, won titles under Ferguson, gives his all whatever position he's asked to play. I've never seen him play a game and thought he's not putting in maximum effort.

Maybe you should name some players who you think are these 'great leaders' we have in our squad. Or name the great leaders in the City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal teams... you won't find any Keanes here, it's not the 90s anymore.

Only player in our squad who is more captain material currently is Herrera.

StrettyEnder07

Not Young's biggest fan, between him and Valencia crossing a ball, frustrates the living shit out of me, he must have put 40 balls into the box last week and only every hit a blue a shirt.

As long as we buy a RB to compete with Dalot next year and Young is Shaw's back up, happy days.

He is good to have around the dressing room, one of the older heads so you would think he is a big influence there, as long as he is not 1st choice right back, I am happy for him to be a squad player for another year.

StrettyEnder07

I already did, maybe you should read the posts you are replying to. He has a strong personality in the dressing room, won titles under Ferguson, gives his all whatever position he's asked to play. I've never seen him play a game and thought he's not putting in maximum effort.

Maybe you should name some players who you think are these 'great leaders' we have in our squad. Or name the great leaders in the City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal teams... you won't find any Keanes here, it's not the 90s anymore.

Agree with everything you say here but would disagree on the captain comment as think De Gea more than deserves it, best player at the club, everyone respects him, would make a top captain along with Herrera.

deadrevelz

Agree with everything you say here but would disagree on the captain comment as think De Gea more than deserves it, best player at the club, everyone respects him, would make a top captain along with Herrera.
Yeah I mixed up leader with captain on the last point. Just meant De Gea isn't the type to rally the troops so to speak. De Gea or Herrera should be made captain next year.

dove

I don't get the hate for him. No, he's not a great fullback, but we know he can do a job in both positions if necessary. If we buy someone in the summer and keep him as backup for one year, where's the harm in that? Better than buying a backup we'd be stuck with for years or be unable to sell.
I think some people including me are worried that he will stay as our main RB next season. This position has been blatantly ignored for years and Young has been absolutely shite especially the last few months however he is still our main RB.

Loony BoB

I'm fine with Young having one more season, especially assuming Valencia and Darmian are both heading out. You can replace those two and Young will have to fight with Shaw, Dalot and two other new players for the spot. No biggie. Maybe a youth player will come through but you don't go into a transfer window selling three fullbacks and only keeping two. Sensible choice. Also for all the shit he's got from people on this thread, Ole clearly sees him as ahead of Dalot on merit and also sees him as a solid captain. I trust Ole more than random fans.

GiddyUp

Yeah I mixed up leader with captain on the last point. Just meant De Gea isn't the type to rally the troops so to speak. De Gea or Herrera should be made captain next year.
De Gea would be a terrible captain. His biggest deficiency as a goalkeeper is his inability to organize his defense. Not a knock on the guy, he is so good and over the last 6 seasons he's been our most important player. A captain needs to be vocal, dictate the managers instructions on the pitch, control tempo with excellent game management, likable to the supporters and bastard to everyone else. No way De Gea could influence the team like that.
Herrera is the only choice. He has the maturity and is the most realist footballer I've seen. He is honest and hardworking and sacrafices himself for the club. He is a tough bastard and everyone hates him to the point of Gerrard being sent of 47 seconds after coming on. The guy is amazing but sometimes negative in his passing but that's understandable after the last couple of managers we've had. The only clear choice for me.

StrettyEnder07

De Gea would be a terrible captain. His biggest deficiency as a goalkeeper is his inability to organize his defense. Not a knock on the guy, he is so good and over the last 6 seasons he's been our most important player. A captain needs to be vocal, dictate the managers instructions on the pitch, control tempo with excellent game management, likable to the supporters and bastard to everyone else. No way De Gea could influence the team like that.
Herrera is the only choice. He has the maturity and is the most realist footballer I've seen. He is honest and hardworking and sacrafices himself for the club. He is a tough bastard and everyone hates him to the point of Gerrard being sent of 47 seconds after coming on. The guy is amazing but sometimes negative in his passing but that's understandable after the last couple of managers we've had. The only clear choice for me.
Bit harsh on De Gea, does not organise his defence well? Not sure agree with that, can't be easy when that defence is different every single game and you have weapons like Jones, Rojo, Smalling in front of you making dreadful decision after dreadful decision.

Herrara is great with the media and says all the right things, but is he the type to lead by example, to inspire people with his performances on the pitch, like say Keane did, I like Herrera but i don't think he is good enough to do that, he has been a first team regular for about 20% of his time at the club, yeah he is playing very well now but if Ole doesn't get the job, who is to say that he will be first choice under Poch or whoever.

Not sure I have ever seen Herrera control the tempo of a game with this excellent game management you talk about, he is a pain in the ass, he hustles, gets in peoples faces, intercepts but he is hardly a Pogba/Scholes/Carrick type where he dictates the pace and pattern of games.

How do you know De Gea is not vocal? See him always communicating with defenders and unless you have been in the United dressing room (apologies if you have) then no one has any idea who vocal or inspiring he is off the pitch, to say he would be a terrible captain is absolute nonsense.

So only the captain can dictate the managers instructions? No one else is capable or allowed to do that? So if Herrera is captain then Pogba can't dictate the play, dictate the tempo, give instructions or enforce what the manager wants, sorry mate but what a load of shit

Sauldogba

He has a strong personality in the dressing room

Says who? Are you there in the dressing room with him to know this?

won titles under Ferguson

He won one title under Ferguson where he was average at best and wasn't even a regular.

gives his all whatever position he's asked to play. I've never seen him play a game and thought he's not putting in maximum effort.

Not true at all. When our players were downing tools under Jose he was one of many players to put in shit performances on purpose for that matter.

None of your reasons scream good leader to me even if they are pretty much all wrong.

GiddyUp

Bit harsh on De Gea, does not organise his defence well? Not sure agree with that, can't be easy when that defence is different every single game and you have weapons like Jones, Rojo, Smalling in front of you making dreadful decision after dreadful decision.

Herrara is great with the media and says all the right things, but is he the type to lead by example, to inspire people with his performances on the pitch, like say Keane did, I like Herrera but i don't think he is good enough to do that, he has been a first team regular for about 20% of his time at the club, yeah he is playing very well now but if Ole doesn't get the job, who is to say that he will be first choice under Poch or whoever.

Not sure I have ever seen Herrera control the tempo of a game with this excellent game management you talk about, he is a pain in the ass, he hustles, gets in peoples faces, intercepts but he is hardly a Pogba/Scholes/Carrick type where he dictates the pace and pattern of games.

How do you know De Gea is not vocal? See him always communicating with defenders and unless you have been in the United dressing room (apologies if you have) then no one has any idea who vocal or inspiring he is off the pitch, to say he would be a terrible captain is absolute nonsense.

So only the captain can dictate the managers instructions? No one else is capable or allowed to do that? So if Herrera is captain then Pogba can't dictate the play, dictate the tempo, give instructions or enforce what the manager wants, sorry mate but what a load of shit
I'm not your mate and you're reply is a load of shit.

deadrevelz

I'm not your mate and you're reply is a load of shit.
Your view of what a captain is doesn't apply to modern football like it used to. Captaincy is given to guaranteed first steam starter who has been at the club a while and is respected by everyone. They don't need to shout or wind up opponents or put in aggressive tackles etc. I don't think captains have as much influence as you think in regards to giving instructions either. English football is definitely moving towards the continental style in that regard. Of course, it doesn't prevent Herrera from being a captain either, just don't think it's mandatory.

AndyJ1985

Your view of what a captain is doesn't apply to modern football like it used to. Captaincy is given to guaranteed first steam starter who has been at the club a while and is respected by everyone. They don't need to shout or wind up opponents or put in aggressive tackles etc. I don't think captains have as much influence as you think in regards to giving instructions either. English football is definitely moving towards the continental style in that regard. Of course, it doesn't prevent Herrera from being a captain either, just don't think it's mandatory.
Young should be no more than a backup player at best, so on that criteria alone he shouldn't be captain

Mcking

So Smalling and Jones has gotten new contracts. Now Young to complete the trifecta.

R'hllor

How things are at the moment, he could decline one year only with ez.

Chairman Steve

I have no problem whatsoever with this move, providing Valencia is leaving which appears to be the case since he's not playing much anymore.

Young is a decent utility option to have. We can't entrust teenage Dalot (great going forward, suspect getting back) to run our right side especially when our right side is already in the shit... Lingard sometimes gets designated it but we all know Lingard's better up the centre primarily and only moves right wing in order to create space for Rashford and Pogba to do their thing. If we were to purchase a right back this summer, what happens if that new signing doesn't immediately hit the ground running? He becomes the obvious weak point of the team, so dependable but unspectacular Young comes in while the new signing acclimatises.

Also Young is a left-back, and if Shaw gets injured and we've already got rid of Young, then we're fecked.

StrettyEnder07

Arguing with another member
Haha starting fights on the internet, what a fecking loser.
Haha is that so "mouthy prick" because your little rant about De Gea got put down, kick off to feck and now trying to back track, bless!

Enjoy your weekend bellend

drdoityourself

He's been very poor now for some time. Giving a player in poor form at 34 years of age a 110.000 pound per week extension in February is not the best news.

He's suspect defensively, very poor building up from the back, and his crossing is just hit and hope.
His best attributes are still stamina and decent pace. Which are most likely to vane in his age.

I feel we are still rewarding mediocre performers, you just have to tread water at United to get extensions.

GiddyUp

Haha is that so "mouthy prick" because your little rant about De Gea got put down, kick off to feck and now trying to back track, bless!

Enjoy your weekend bellend
I gave my opinion and you came back with some valid points, the way this forum is meant to operate, and then like a little wannabe tough guy you ended it with "you're talking shit". You escalated it and sorry I called you a prick, I should have said little prick. You're just not very good at this and should stick to bullying little kids to get it hard.

sp_107

One of the major problem in last 6 years is not having a proper RB or LB of highest quality !

So we already wasted lot of time hanging around Valencia / Young / Darmian and unfortunately Shaw also just turned out to be a OK left back.

So if we want to go top then just replace them with good quality ..simple

What city did in last few years? They replaced most of their squad with 40-50 million players and in the current market they cost 70-80 mil

We should have replaced our defence and wingers few years back which could have saved some money !!

oskarutd

Confirmed on MUTV in the manager conference in full and uncut that he has signed a new contract. No more information.

Albin Johansson

Not that I love the sight of Young in the first XL in any way but hell some of you seem to think that the only way upwards for us is to have a squad with two world beaters on each and every position. If anything the extensions for Young and Jones gives provides some balance to a team that had been making some terrible signings post-SAF. They know what United is about, and remember that during the latest golden period we sometimes relied on having O’sheas, Browns, Evans, Cleverleys and fecking Gibsons to cover up, yet we couldn’t stop winning the league.