Your earliest football memory

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
World Cup 94.

Romario and Bebeto. Brazil in their yellow kits doing the baby celebration.

Baggio missing.

The summer seemed so long and seemed everyday was sunny and hot.

Cousins had a Spanish exchange student. She was so exotic and beautiful. We would play 'soccer' in the front yard instead of the usual street hockey or basketball.

Sigh

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I dunno, maybe it was highlights. I was 5! :lol:
Tee Hee :D

How the memory fails sometimes .

I think ... if my dick emery serves me right the first live game on telly was Spurs and possibly Forest in about 84 or something . Glen Hoddle scored a beauty..

feck this... google time :wenger:

Yagami

Good post resistant

The song at the beginning of this. My dad probably grew to hate this song. :lol: I used to wait for him to get home from work every night for ages just to watch this season review with him - and loved singing the song over and over.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
It was the World cup 1986 for me and Butragueño scoring 4 goals vs Denmark everyone home was crazy! Spain won 5-1 vs Denmark , but then we sucked in the 1/4 and lost vs Belgium . World cup was always a huge disappointment for me as a kid/teenager as Spain was almost always favorites and couldn't deliver , 'til 2010....it was worth the wait though , Seeing your country winning the World Cup is just incredible when you are a football fan , I have seen Real Madrid winning 6 times the Champions League and of course it was amazing.But Crying in my dad arms when we won the World Cup in 2010 was something special , him and me are huge/crazy football fan and i'm happy than he was able to see Spain win the World cup in his lifetime .

Red_Aaron

i remember WC 90 going on around me but can't recall any of the football, only the non stop football going on in the streets and the fall out from Englands exit.

i remember watching plenty of football before this but this here is my earliest memory of absolutely losing my shit at a football match
to this day my parents talk of how much i screamed, jumped, punched the floor, slid on my knees etc
i don't regret a second of it

lysglimt

Scout
Earliest memory is WC 78 - I was almost 6 and remember sitting in a corner crying because because the team I supported was losing 6-0 (I thought). The match was Argentina - Peru and I woke up late at night and went down to see my parents watching the game. I supported Argentina but for some reason thought Argentina was the team losing - so I was devastated.

I also have lots of memories of collecting panini-cards around 79/80 - and that is where my love for United started. For some reason I really liked Frank Stapleton - he was my hero. So when United signed him, I changed club and became a United-fan.

Darkhorsez

It was the 1978 World Cup. We had just moved to the UK and Iran had qualified for the WC ! That on it’s own was an amazing achievement as back then it was only 16 teams into 4 groups. We were in the same group as Scotland. There was a lot banter at school and trash talking about our chances or lack of it but then we actually drew with Scotland. Really sweet payback for the abuse I received! Scotland had a very good team at the time with great players. If I had pick a single moment that I clearly remember every move - that would Archie’s goal against Holland - a thing of beauty

KTP_ZA

I remember Baggio's penalty from the WC 94 final but not much else of the tournament but I vividly remember watching the 96 FA Cup final with my dad and celebrating Cantona's goal by jumping up and down on the bed

Kant-ona

I definetly remember the World Cup 1990. Very clearly. Before that, my memories are in a fog. There is AC Milan with the three dutch, there is Van Basten at the Euro 1988, but that's all blurred.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
My uncle Ginger trying to get me to come to a City game with him in about 1972.
My dad knew Les Olive and took me to Old Trafford when he was visiting him one day. That was the day I became a red.
I got another trip there in 1977 and held the FA Cup. I also got some custard creams off Steve Coppell who was stuffing his face in the club canteen.

Darkhorsez

My uncle Ginger trying to get me to come to a City game with him in about 1972.
My dad knew Les Olive and took me to Old Trafford when he was visiting him one day. That was the day I became a red.
I got another trip there in 1977 and held the FA Cup. I also got some custard creams off Steve Coppell who was stuffing his face in the club canteen.
That’s a great story. Wow! Football has changed so much -can’t see stuff like that happening for fans these days.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
My earliest vague memories are watching a lot of Italian football on Eurosport and always wanting Juventus to win.

Around the same time I had a Liverpool home kit and the green/white away one which my parents took off me to send to some guy they met in Jamaica whilst on holiday and me being absolutely gutted about it.

I also remember a lot of Liverpool matches being on our TV with them wearing yellow and McManaman being my favourite player.

My clearest memory was rushing home from Primary School to watch Brazil’s first game in WC98 mainly for Ronaldo and was amazed by his boots!

Other stand out moments were Owen’s goal vs Argentina and Jamaica gettined hammered by Argentina. Strangely I didn’t even remember the final or who actually won the WC at that time.

paulscholes18

Earliest England Memory - Vs Tunisia at the 98 World Cup
United Memory - Keane’s goal vs Munich
Football Memory Yorke’s (for villa) penalty vs Arsenal

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Dimly remember WC98, Ronaldo not scoring 5 goals in the final and wondering why. (I was 7 at the time)

Can definitely remember Euro 2000, Toldo diving the wrong way, Trezeguet banging it in the roof of the net. That fecker made me cry although I cried alone because I didn't want my dad to see me crying. It was a golden goal as well so it was game over when that went in.

Vaguely remember the first utd game I watched. It was a midweek game (can't remember if league, CL, or Cup). We were 1-0 down and made a comeback to make it 2-1. I think Andy Cole got the winner/equalizer although I can't be 100% certain if it was him.

Bole Top

Yugoslavia leading 2:0 against Germany about... 20 years ago?! finished 2:2 in the end.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
There wasn’t live football on tv before 83?
Not League games .

The FA Cup final and European finals is all I can remember . Yes. No semi finals on the telly either. You had the radio and that was that. Always remember me dad trying to avoid the score of a big European game and waiting for the highlights which were on about 10.30. He sometimes let me and our kid stay up to watch it which meant a lot back then.

prath92

Not League games .

The FA Cup final and European finals is all I can remember . Yes. No semi finals on the telly either. You had the radio and that was that. Always remember me dad trying to avoid the score of a big European game and waiting for the highlights which were on about 10.30. He sometimes let me and our kid stay up to watch it which meant a lot back then.
Oh I didn’t know that.

Btw I didn’t understand the last sentence? Whose kid?:D

Roberto420

Always remember Ronnie Whelan scoring from a corner for Ireland and his scissors kick.

.Phil1968

1976 cup final first time I heard my old man say feck, it was also my 8th birthday and so that was ruined thanks to bloody Bobby Stokes.Have loved United ever since.

lewwoo

The whole Italia 90 world cup. Memories of my dad letting me stay up to watch all England's games on the little black and white tv in his bedroom that you had to tune in with a dial on the front. Was my first experience of football heartache as I really believed being young and nieve that England were going to win and it was written in the stars!

I remember the excitement whenever Gazza got the ball and my dad saying he was special.

Amir

Mine is Euro 88'. I remember seeing some group stage matches and the two semi finals, but obviously it was the final that stuck to mind... Gullit scoring, THAT Van Basten goal, the penalty save...

PK007

Showing my age now but it was the 1977 FA Cup final between us and the scousers. I was 7 and remember vividly being in awe of Stevie Coppell tearing it up down the wing.

I was always into drawing as a kid and would sit for hours just drawing Utd players like Coppell, Macari, Alex Stepney and Greenhoff in full kit with Utd badge.

Ahhh the good old days, when you could drink from hosepipes, every game started at 3pm on a saturday, at 4.45pm youd watch tv for the viviprinter to spit out the scores, could throw snowballs at windows in winter, get a clip round the ear from a copper for riding your bike on the pavement and call anyone a poofter without some liberal pc snowflake getting upset.

donkeyfish

Some bald player in the Norwegian league getting angry and throwing the ball to the ground getting booked in the process. Couldn't believe he was able to make it bounce 3x his height.

First united memory is the 1996 FA cup final

Jordan_mufc

1998 World Cup for me, in particular the game vs Argentina.

Michael Owen goal, Sol Campbell disallowed goal, Beckham Kick, Diego Simeone being an absolute nuisance.

Jordan_mufc

My earliest vague memories are watching a lot of Italian football on Eurosport and always wanting Juventus to win.

Around the same time I had a Liverpool home kit and the green/white away one which my parents took off me to send to some guy they met in Jamaica whilst on holiday and me being absolutely gutted about it.

I also remember a lot of Liverpool matches being on our TV with them wearing yellow and McManaman being my favourite player.

My clearest memory was rushing home from Primary School to watch Brazil’s first game in WC98 mainly for Ronaldo and was amazed by his boots!

Other stand out moments were Owen’s goal vs Argentina and Jamaica gettined hammered by Argentina. Strangely I didn’t even remember the final or who actually won the WC at that time.
Those boots were, and still are, so iconic. My favourite era.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I have vague memories of Schmeichel back in '92 when Denmark won the Euros. Earliest vivid memories are of World Cup '94. I remember the Brazil squad with Romario, Bebeto and Raí. I remember Thomas Brolin, Martin Dahlin and the Swedes drawing against them and later losing against them. I remember Romania and Bulgaria vividly, spearheaded by Georghe Hagi and Hristo Stoichkov. Stoitchkov was one of my favorites growing up. Then of course I remember the final and how dull it was. I was rooting for Brazil (Taffarel was my second favorite keeper) but was sad that Baggio was the penultimate penalty taker as he was the player I liked the most from the Italian side. This competition also introduced me to Rene Higuita and Carlos Valderrama.

Living in Denmark at the time I was bitterly jealous of the Swedes and cheered the loss against Brazil. My dislike of them wasn't helped by them knockin out Romania which was one my favorite teams at the time.

Actually, having typed all that an even earlier memory was of the CL final match. That's the first proper match in my memory. I enjoyed the thumping but was moreover disappointed that a potential Laudrup derby saw neither player. Afterwards I felt bad for Zubizaretta. The big football year of scapegoats.