Your England Squad for Euro 2020

TheReligion

Abusive
I can see southgate going with 3 at the back and if so then ideally in terms of being as progressive as possible then...

____________pope
___walker_maguire_shaw
Taa__bellingham-rice__chilwell
_____foden_______mount
___________kane
You want to play with a back 5 plus Rice?

No chance.

Chilwell is offering nothing in that set up.

Lee565

You want to play with a back 5 plus Rice?

No chance.

Chilwell is offering nothing in that set up.
Do I want it no but i can see southgate going that way and if so then that is the best line up i could hope for, i excluded stones because he looks to have slipped back into his awful form. Tbh I would actually have saka over chilwell as left wing back.

TheReligion

Abusive
Do I want it no but i can see southgate going that way and if so then that is the best line up i could hope for, i excluded stones because he looks to have slipped back into his awful form. Tbh I would actually have saka over chilwell as left wing back.
He's been playing with a back 4 recently so very much doubt he'll go in to the tournament like this.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Southgate won't start Grealish and that sums up everything wrong with him.
To be fair, he’s been injured for months, in this time Foden & Mount have made themselves undroppable

My team

GK
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Phillips*
Foden Mount Grealish
Kane​

What I think Southgate will do

GK
Walker Stones Maguire
Trippier Rice Phillips* Chilwell
Mount
Kane Sterling​

* assuming Henderson doesn’t make it

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know really. Tough isn't it. I'm a big fan of Grealish and Ings. Think they should both be included. Sancho has also played well in the run in much like Greenwood.
I'm not entirely sold on Greenwood tbh. I could see him being a crucial piece for us in future tournaments but I think there are others ahead of him in the pecking order right now. In an ideal world though, Sterling would be on really thin ice and by no means certain to be on the plane.

sideshowbob

Pickford , Pope, Henderson

TAA , Walker, AWB

Maguire , Stones, Godfrey, Konsa

Shaw , Chilwell

Rice , Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham

Mount, Grealish

Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Foden,

Kane, DCL, Greenwood

I don’t think we should be playing a back 5 unless Maguire isn’t fit. We’ve got too much attacking talent to waste I feel.

I’ve picked my defenders based on form this season although I know full well that Mings Coady and Dier will be on the plane. I would personally play a back three with Walker and Shaw in there as the wide centre backs before playing any of those 3.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not entirely sold on Greenwood tbh. I could see him being a crucial piece for us in future tournaments but I think there are others ahead of him in the pecking order right now. In an ideal world though, Sterling would be on really thin ice and by no means certain to be on the plane.
I don't rate Sterling either but he'll obviously go. I think Greenwood should be the wildcard pick. He's an excellent finisher, two footed and comfortable on the right or central. He's also been in hot form of late so would go into the tournament ready.

Can't think of many better options to throw on if chasing a game and needing to nick a goal.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Pope
TAA
Shaw
Stones
Maguire
Rice
Mount
Foden
Sancho
Kane
Sterling

Pickford
Walker
Chilwell
Coady
Tomori
Bellingham
Ward-Prowse
Grealish
Saka
Rashford
Calvert-Lewin

+ D.Henderson, K.Phillips, J.Henderson, Greenwood

jesperjaap

I would agree, too early for him and are a few currently ahead of him, only way he makes the squad is versatility to be a striker too....but he hasnt actually played for us there more than a couple of times, so be surprised if he makes the squad to be honest at this moment

jesperjaap

My squad:

First eleven:

Pickford, Reece James, Maguire, Stones, Shaw, Bellingham, Rice, Mount, Grealish, Foden, Kane

Rest of squad

Pope, Henderson, Walker, Coady, Mings, Chilwell, Henderson, Kalvin Phillips, Sakha, SAncho, Rashford, Sterling, Calvert-Lewin, Ward-Prowse, Watkins

Just naming that squad shows how strong we are in certain areas when the likes of Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, Bissaka lose out at right back, and Maddison and Greenwood for example lose out in the attacking positions...........yet gk and centre backs are just so weak depth wise especially. I rate Godfrey but he hasnt played yet so too early for him and I think Gomez has a lot of ability but he was playing poorly to be fair just before his big injury.

I think our squad is so strong down the flanks defensively and offensively, one of the best groups we have had numbers wise, but the spine. Poor keeper, decent but not great first chocie centre backs with not great back up. We have some talented young midfielders but there is no Ince, Gascoigne for example and up front beyond Kane there isnt actually the strength we have had before when you think the likes of Wright, Cole, Fowler could barely get a game even from the bench.

I think with the success of a lot of English players this year and also with games at home, we have a great chance this summer, is a far better squad than the world cup one, and lets be honest we got to the semis as we got a great route there from the draw.....but any injuries or suspensions in some of those areas worries me.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Yeah England have actually still not beaten a top/traditional big side in WC or EC for two decades. The last one I remember was the win against Argentina in the group stages in the WC 2002!
Has anything happened since? Have I missed any remarkable win since then?
England definitely have a problem with knock-out matches against strong teams in World Cups.
Last time they knocked out a strong/tradinional side was in 1966 (Argentina+Eusbio's Portugal)...6 decades ago.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Sterling has no business starting for England in current form.
You might be unto something here. I do have a BUT to it though;
1. International and club form are generally not directly link. A lot of inform players going into International don’t tend to shine historically.
2. He might be fresher than most of his competitors.
3. Experience is the most underrated part here. The best players at WC and Euros have always been the ones that have experienced it before.
4. The game is played/approached completely different to club football. The goal is not getting entertained but bringing glory home.
Sterling might not be best/most in form English wide man right now but he always performs better than the lesser experienced guys for England. They be able to usurp him as they grow in the tournament but you don’t change a team this late in the day for inform players. We have so many evidence from past WC/Euro winners to why such changes will not benefit the team.

MU655

-------------------------Henderson

Bissaka-----Stones------Maguire--------Shaw

---------------Rice----------Bellingham

-------------------------Mount

Foden----------------Kane---------------Grealish

I would go with familiarity for defence, but James could replace Bissaka.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Could (against anyone but the top top teams) Foden and Mount start together in the centre with Rice behind them? Or is that just shoehorning players in?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Foden should be starting in front 3 imo. Certainly Sterling hasn't done enough in last 3-4 months to be starting and would argue neither has Rashford but I expect Southgate will start at least one of them if not both.

Does beg the question then if Foden and Mount would start ahead of the DM or one will miss out from the start.

Aside from CB when you look at all the possible names for the 26 I'd say England have the most depth since the 90s, stacked in so many positions with exciting young players.

Bwuk

Could (against anyone but the top top teams) Foden and Mount start together in the centre with Rice behind them? Or is that just shoehorning players in?
Comfortably and it’s what England should do. Against better sides Foden can push wide.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Anyone else really excited for the squad announcement tomorrow?

I wonder what the shock will be... There's always a shock.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Why do some people take it as a personal insult when a player from their club is not included?

Anyone else really excited for the squad announcement tomorrow?

I wonder what the shock will be... There's always a shock.
we have the biggest pool of talent for decades. We perhaps don’t have many world class players (just Kane) but the depth of talent is really good.

so yes, think it’s really quite exciting. Perhaps even more so with the 3 extra players - as with the 23 man squad it would be easier to predict who was going, as it’s quite formulaic.

Mcking

Honestly think Rashford should skip this if he's got a problem, and get surgery if that would help. There's plenty of competition for that place, and it is just one tournament so definitely not the end of the world if he misses it.

With 26 players, there's plenty to choose from, and apart from the obvious ones like Kane and Maguire, there will be very close calls I think.

I'd probably go:

Pickford, Henderson, Johnstone

Stones, Maguire, Mings, Coady

Walker, TAA, Chilwell, Shaw

Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham

Sterling, Sancho, Foden, Mount, Greenwood, Grealish

Kane, Calvert-Lewin

26 is far too much

Paul_Scholes18

Honestly think Rashford should skip this if he's got a problem, and get surgery if that would help. There's plenty of competition for that place, and it is just one tournament so definitely not the end of the world if he misses it.

With 26 players, there's plenty to choose from, and apart from the obvious ones like Kane and Maguire, there will be very close calls I think.

I'd probably go:

Pickford, Henderson, Johnstone

Stones, Maguire, Mings, Coady

Walker, TAA, Chilwell, Shaw

Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham

Sterling, Sancho, Foden, Mount, Greenwood, Grealish

Kane, Calvert-Lewin

26 is far too much
Rashford should 100% be in the squad. It would be harsh to leave Lingard out, but his role might not be needed that much as Mount and Grealish can play his role.

Not sure Sterling deserves to be in it with his season, but he has been good for England I think. Sancho not sure if should be in the squad.

TheGame

Would be disgraceful if Henderson is recalled. He has missed most of the season so shouldn't be ahead of players who have played all season. You could then go with Bellingham and Rice in midfield.

Bwuk

Rashford should 100% be in the squad. It would be harsh to leave Lingard out, but his role might not be needed that much as Mount and Grealish can play his role.

Not sure Sterling deserves to be in it with his season, but he has been good for England I think. Sancho not sure if should be in the squad.
Sancho should be starting.

Mcking

I picked only 23 players. Everyone has been banging on about Rashford playing with an injury as an excuse for his poor performances, so it is difficult to understand why he is not skipping this. If he is in the squad, then it is all excuses, get him in for Greenwood.

There will be plenty of tight calls, and Ward-Prowse and Lingard are probably the two that I didn't mention that will likely be in the squad. Guess the 26th will be a defender, and no way Sancho doesn't make it.

Paul_Scholes18

I picked only 23 players. Everyone has been banging on about Rashford playing with an injury as an excuse for his poor performances, so it is difficult to understand why he is not skipping this. If he is in the squad, then it is all excuses, get him in for Greenwood.

There will be plenty of tight calls, and Ward-Prowse and Lingard are probably the two that I didn't mention that will likely be in the squad. Guess the 26th will be a defender, and no way Sancho doesn't make it.
Aaah ok I thought Rashford was over his problems now. If he has an injury problem I hope he is not in the squad. Although he will probably not start every game anyway.

Ephrem

My pick would be this.

Pope
TAA Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice
Mount Grealish
Foden Kane Rashford

Swiss_Red89

It's rumoured that Rashford needs a shoulder surgery this summer. If this is true, it would be understandable that he would want to do it after the Euros. I imagine it's still one of the biggest dreams of most professional footballers to represent their country in major tournaments. And this one being in England for the three lions, I understand him not skipping it after playing the whole season through his injury issues.

He had a lot of rest the last few weeks though, so there is hope that he will be fit and sharp for the Final and the Euros.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Would be disgraceful if Henderson is recalled. He has missed most of the season so shouldn't be ahead of players who have played all season. You could then go with Bellingham and Rice in midfield.
I think when it was 23 there was a good chance he'd miss out... But now there's 26 it's practically nailed on he's going

Acole9

Outstanding
Probably the most excited I've ever been for a squad announcement, it'll probably be crap now :lol:. If Grealish isn't picked then Southgate should be sacked.

Swiss_Red89

I'm really excited for the squad announcement. It will be interesting to see who is left out and who is included. Not an easy job for Southgate. He's blessed with talent though.

One thing for sure, it will be a better pool of 26 players than the one Switzerland announced last week:-)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Disgraceful is a bit of a stretch, if he's fit then he should be an automatic starter in midfield. There aren't many midfielders like him for England to pick. You need experience in competitions, and he's been a key part for Liverpool for a league title and a Champions League.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If fit I'd go:
Pope
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson Rice
Sancho Grealish Rashford
Kane

Henderson
James White Mings Chilwell
Bellingham Phillips Mount
Foden DCL Sterling​

Pickford, TAA, Greenwood, Saka to complete the squad.