Your expectations of this season?

Kylar Stern

I expect a title challenge (at the very least) and a cup for this season.

We have a decent squad and played some good stuff at times last year - the hope is that certain key players (Lukaku, Pogba, Lingard) bring their World Cup form into the new season, and other key players (Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Bailly) play to the level we know that they can, giving us a real opportunity on building on last eyar in a positive way.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope we are sounding out Zidane. Giggs has proven nothing yet.
Jose was a well proven manager when we got him. Zidane had zero managing experience at the top level when he became Real's manager. It's not an exact science and quite frankly I'd rather have one of our own at the helm. At least we'll try to be more entertaining.

T_Model101

So many it's and buts but I'm reasonably confident providing we can shift Martial & bring in a top replacement who wants to be here. Pogba has won the world cup, hopefully he'll mature as a result and become the consistent midfielder we know he can be.
Sanchez has had a break for the first time in ever. I fail to see how Mata could possibly be worse than last season too.
Liverpool will find it hard to integrate in all their new signings & I'm hopeful City have a drop off of sorts

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think if we don't compete for the title he should be gone. However, my apathy towards the team and the manager is so much that I'll be happy just to enjoy watching the team play good football again. The football has been soul destroying.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Mourinho wins the Premier with Man Utd
Pep has a slight meltdown and finishes 2nd-3rd
Sarri sacked
Liverpool 3rd or 2nd
Arsenal 3rd or 4th
Barcelona, Liga and Champions League winners, possible third Triplete as well
Lopetegui sacked

Devil81

I would have liked a title challenge but given how good City was last season I don't believe we've strengthened enough to bridge the gap.

Fair enough we've added Fred but I don't see that one player being influential enough to change games for us. I think we are looking at Sanchez and saying this is your time to shine if he can get his early Arsenal form back and link up better with Pogba and Lukaku we could see something special.

Martial and Rashford need to step up to the plate more this season as well, fair enough they were both playing well until the introduction of Sanchez last season but neither player is consistent enough to be considered first choice.

davidmichael

Top four in the league (likely 4th)

Quarters or semis in both cups

Last 16 in Europe

BlueHaze

I have a bad feeling we will finish outside of top 4, Jose to keep throwing tantrums and be gone by the end of the season.

Inter Yer Nan

I think we'll close the gap but still only manage 2nd and I think it's about time we had a deep Champions League run. Perhaps with a bit of luck the semi-finals and as for the other domestic cups I think we've got a good chance to win one. I think Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez will all have very good seasons.

The talent in our squad is not as bad as some are making out but I do feel there's a lack of balance. I am a big Mourinho fan but it's a bit disappointing that's still the case and this is his third season.

piratefox

Still waiting for transfers, or lack of before making any predictions.

Red Stone

This is by far the least hyped I've been for a new season in my lifetime. Anything above barely scraping top 4 will exceed my expectations. City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea all look like they're much more prepared for the season than us, and I expect all four to finish above us.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
FFS the negativity here is unbelievable, no wonder a lot of other fans think we are a set of cnuts with a sense of entitlement. Let's get up for the battle!

JMack1234

Going to be a rollercoaster I think,

Realistically, we'll get top four because as of yet Spurs have signed nobody and have another new stadium. Arsenal will improve but still not be quite up there and Chelsea could do anything depends on Sarri and if they keep hold of Hazard and Courtois.

It'll be an up and down season for us, we'll have our moments but I see no evidence that our style of play will change in any significant way and we could be heading for a reckoning with the management at the end of the season.

Canagel

Jose was a well proven manager when we got him. Zidane had zero managing experience at the top level when he became Real's manager. It's not an exact science and quite frankly I'd rather have one of our own at the helm. At least we'll try to be more entertaining.
OK but if it was a choice between those two you'd be mad not to pick Zidane. He's had so much success in a short period of time and imagine the calibre of players we would be able to attract. for many he was an idol.

Whiteside1985

I've fairly low expectations. More of the same, maybe.
Top 4 and a cup final is what I predict.
There's just a bit too much sulkiness around at the moment, not just Jose, but too many of our potential match-winners (Pogba, Martial, Sanchez and even Lukaku) have too much of a tendency to 'pack a sad' when things aren't going their way.

It's an old cliché, but this squad is in desperate need of an old-school leader to fire them up.....

RedOldBoy

Top 4 - We haven't strengthened enough to challenge for the title. Nearly the whole defence needs an overhaul. Plus we need quality squad depth

JK-27

We've improved year on year with Jose in charge. I expect improvement this season which means going from 2nd to 1st. And if Jose doesn't get that I don't think he'll want to stay, let alone the fans.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Premier League champions 2018/19. Laugh all you want. If people are quoting this back at me in a year's time as illustrating my idiocy, fair play. I believe.

Handsome Devil

All our World Cup players come back energized, especially Pogba, midfield clicks, Sanchez clicks, we win our first five games, not always with beautiful football but a winning mentality comes into being, the team believe in themselves, the football becomes more acceptable, we are there or thereabouts at end of season.
Most of all....We. Finish. Above. Liverpool.
Hey, it's a new season, football is back, we are United, get behind them and forget the loathing and self loathing for 5 minutes.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
People need to relax. Fred and Dalot will be revelations. Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard and Sanchez will be up a level. A top centre-half and we’re winning the league. Can’t wait.

maltrain

I expect a better campaign than last year in every tournament.
I think the team is better right now with the arrivals of Dalot, Pereira and Fred plus a rested Sánchez.
Clearly, would be even better with a new full defense, but I think we'll have at least two other signings before the start of the season.
Of course, City has a superior squad (I can't understand why Pep can buy whoever he wants and Mou can't even when MU is more powerful than MC) but I predict a harder league this year than the last one because clubs like Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal or West Ham look better too.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not in top 2 would be my guess. City and Liverpool are quite better than us as things stand.

The other 3 teams + Arsenal to fight for the last positions on UCL, I think that it will be us and Spurs finishing in top 4.

In UCL my guess would be 1/8th or quarters, don't particularly care about the other two competitions though would like to win at least one of them.

Hughie77

I've put an optomistic bet on us winning prem. We have the players they just need to play to there top potential.. put kids out in league cup, and fa cup if we need to.. and rotate squad for league and champions league.. I think this group will surprise us in a good way this season. Have some belief.

AndyJ1985

We'll be in a battle for top 4. We'll reach the last 8 of the CL at best. Our best chance for a trophy will be the domestic cups.

giant_sailor

Premier League: battle for 4th. City, Liverpool and Chelsea are miles ahead. We can compete with Arsenal and maybe we can surprise Spurs.
Champions League: last 16 if we can even progress.

I expect a Mourinho meltdown, which can seriously hurt our Champions League campaign. I expect him to be sacked before Christmas. Or, to be precise, I expect his situation to be undefendable by that time. Who knows when Woodward would actually pull the trigger, though.

Don't care about any other cups.

lex talionis

My expectations -- not what I want but what I believe is realistically within our reach -- are simple:
  • Win the EPL trophy.
  • Make it to the SF in the CL.
  • Beating at least one top six club in the FA Cup (random draw so you never know where/when).
City are rightly the favorite and Liverpool have strengthened well, but this squad is capable of great things. Lukaku and Pogba are brilliant footballers who have it in their wheelhouse to raise their game this season. De Gea has no peer. Sanchez looks to be a great start. For Bailly is class but he still has to recover his 16/17 form, no question.

There are reasonable questions about our fullbacks, whether Matic has enough in the tank to sustain a season-long battle, whether Fred will perform as expected and whether Lingard/Rashford/Martial can perform to the level we all believe they can. So I wouldn't make us the favorite the win the EPL but my expectation is that we'll be in the hunt as late as April and at that point it will come down to fortune in deciding who wins it.

A season-ending injury to Pogba and/or Lukaku and we're in serious trouble. But a "fair share", so to speak, of injuries and with a bit of fortune our way, we can do this.

soad

In the battle for the title or not, we must be behind the team and believe that we can win it. Obviously things doesn't look promising at the moment but that's not a reason to talk so much sh*t. We still have very good squad. If names like De Gea, Pogba, Alexis and Lukaku doesn't give you hope for a decent season, I don't know what to say...

Greck

Top 3 and that's me being pessimistic. The talent of the squad guarantees a minimum level that will be reached unless the players down tools. Also find it funny that Pogba is now mentioned as a bright spot when till just a month ago some would cite him as a player that was holding us back. That World cup really vindicated him

JadoreSox

I'm optimistic Pogba and Sanchez will kick on this season and we will be challenging for the league. Cups are a crapshoot but we need to be making at least the quarters of the CL.

Not sure when people soured so much on the the team and Mourinho, we were comfortably 2nd last season albeit City were a level above. Our top players stepping up would close the margin, theres not really anyone in the market thats going to make us much better.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Top 3 and that's me being pessimistic. The talent of the squad guarantees a minimum level that will be reached unless the players down tools. Also find it funny that Pogba is now mentioned as a bright spot when till just a month ago some would cite him as a player that was holding us back. That World cup really vindicated him
Not really - we already knew he could play like that, he did at Juve, that’s why we paid a world record fee for him. It’s just that he doesn’t play like that for us.

Murray3007

expect we should be challenging for the league, but have mega doubts all ready, brought in fred for carrick really and nothing else has changed apart from a young FB who we no nothing about. our current 2 full backs are a season older and would expect to be on the decline and jose seems to be having a go at everyone all ready. 3rd season meltdown may have begun all ready.