Your Lions XV

Jiggs'Hamstring

We're over halfway through the 6 Nations, so I guess a fair idea of how the Lions team will line up in SA should be forming. I think it's safe to say the Springboks aren't exactly going to be soiling themselves about what they've seen so far, but this would be my team:

15. Lee Byrne - No question about this. One of, if not the form player in World Rugby for the past 18 months.

14. Paul Sackey - Just edges it, with Bowe, Halfpenny and particularly Mark Jones going close. I think Jones is more of a pure rugby player and has a superb work ethic, but Sackey's pace and power will come in very handy out in SA.

13. Brian O'Driscoll - Seems to have recovered from quite a lengthy blip in form, but any hint that he may be able to reach the levels he is capable of make him an automatic selection, perhaps even as Captain.

12. Gavin Henson - No particularly outstanding candidates at inside-centre: Jamie Roberts has done pretty well for Wales, Tindall would be an experienced and solid choice. But I think Henson has the quality to take a game by the balls, with the ball in hand and with the boot; plus he is very strong in the tackle. Even if he is a massive prick.

11. Shane Williams - his small stature might get exploited, but he is too much of a dangerous player to even consider dropping.

10. Stephen Jones - If he can only get his goalkicking to a consistently high level, he is miles ahead of any other options. Maybe not the most exciting choice for some, but his organization of the back line in defence and in attack, plus his top class ability to pick a pass make him a pretty strong choice at 10.

9. Dwayne Peel - I really hope he gets his chance to cement his place in the Wales team between now and the end of the 6 Nations, because he is such a more exciting and dynamic choice at 9 than Mike Phillips or Harry Ellis. The physicality of the SA back row might see Phillips get the nod for his size and aggression, but they just wouldn't get a hand on an on-form Peel.

1. Gethin Jenkins - Is now miles ahead of Sheridan after Wales outscrummaged England.

2. Matthew Rees - Jerry Flannery might get the nod, but Rees is more dynamic in the loose, and neither are particularly outstanding lineout throwers.

3. Euan Murray - I won't pretend to know very much about props, but Murray seems to be pretty highly rated and we've got to squeeze a Scot in there somewhere.

4. Paul O'Connell - A proper warrior at 4, he'll scrap with the best of them and won't be scared of getting in the South Africans' faces.

5. Alun Wyn Jones - Is developing into one of the best second rows in the world, and will compliment O'Connell perfectly

6. Ryan Jones - Despite being dropped by Wales for this round of 6 Nations games, I still think he will be considered a big player for the Lions, and another contender for captain. I would still prefer to see him at 8, but Gatland obvious likes him as a flanker and I think that is where he will slot into the Lions team.

7. Martyn Williams - Has been consistently excellent at international level for some time now, and has the intelligence and the experience to take advantages of any rare turnover opportunities offered by South Africa.

8. Jamie Heaslip - It seems a bit odd to have none of the highly-rated Irish back row in my line-up, but for me Heaslip edges out Andy Powell, who can be pretty hit and miss.

So there we go ... quite the lengthy post. I can't see the team above taking a series victory out there, although there is a lot of ability at Gatland and McGeechan's disposal and, injuries permitting, we could really test the World Champions.

I know there aren't that many rugby fans on the forum, but surely a couple of people fancy telling me how wrong I am?

kristinson

15 Mark Cueto
14 Tommy Bowe
13 BOD
12 Lee Byrne
11 Williams

10 Stephen Jones
9 Mike Phillips/ Mike Blair

1 Marcus Horan
2 Jerry Flannery
3 Gethin Jenkins
4 Paul O'Connel (Capt)
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
6 Stephen Ferris (long shot but has been awesome this year)
7 Martyn Williams
8 Ryan Jones

Jiggs'Hamstring

15 Mark Cueto
14 Tommy Bowe
13 BOD
12 Lee Byrne
11 Williams

10 Stephen Jones
9 Mike Phillips/ Mike Blair

1 Marcus Horan
2 Jerry Flannery
3 Gethin Jenkins
4 Paul O'Connel (Capt)
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
6 Stephen Ferris (long shot but has been awesome this year)
7 Martyn Williams
8 Ryan Jones
I can't recall Lee Byrne ever having played at inside centre, can't see a gamble like that being taken - Byrne is a cert at 15. Ferris has been excellent, you're right - I'm sure he'll be in the party.

And I know there is a bit of a lack of Irish in there, but I'm sure Wales will beat them and go on to win the 6 Nations, and what's more, I think when your team is so reliant on Welsh players it is important to keep combinations such as Phillips/Peel and Jones as halfbacks, or R. Jones and Williams in the back row.

I do think that there are several positions still to play for though, and several Irish boys could play themselves right into contention. The majority of the shoe-ins, though, are Welsh.

Name Changed

weso26
I'd agree with the majority of your selection. I would pick Tommy Bowe over Paul Sackey though.

I wouldn't pick Henson either.

Jiggs'Hamstring

I'd agree with the majority of your selection. I would pick Tommy Bowe over Paul Sackey though.

I wouldn't pick Henson either.
Yeah, the right wing is a tight one, down to personal preference really. To be honest, I would most like to see Mark Jones there, but I just get the feeling Sackey will get the nod.

Who is a viable alternative to Henson though? He's got to get some games and some form before the tour, of course, but he offers both creativity and physicality, as opposed to just sticking a battering ram at inside centre - and a battering ram which is pretty unlikely to go anywhere against a team as imposing as South Africa.

Again, I can't stress enough - massive prick. Massive.

kristinson

Byrne plays 12 for ospreys sometimes, and very well at that, if not then Id bring tindall in and byrne at 15 cueto out.

air_mood

Haven't watched loads of games in the 6 Nations honestly. But of what I've watched, O'Gara looks good. His kicking game particularly.

Lynott

In all fairness lads, lets get serious.
For starters david Wallace has to play either at 7 or 8. He has been one of the top players in the world this year.
Stephen Jones isn't even the best 10 in Wales never mind British Isles.

15 Lee Byrne (Kearney catching up)
14 Evans
13 BOD (Capt)
12 Henson(if fit)/Roberts
11 Williams

10 O'Gara/Hook
9 Mike Blair

1 Euan Murray
2 Jerry Flannery/Ross Ford
3 Gethin Jenkins
4 Paul O'Connell
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
6 Stephen Ferris/Leamy
7 Martyn Williams/David Wallace
8 David Wallace/Powell

Jiggs'Hamstring

Byrne very very seldom plays at 12, at would certainly not get a shout there for the Lions.

Wallace at 8 has a chance for sure.

Stephen Jones is massively underrated and I'm almost sure he will start at 10 for the Lions. He is in a different league at the moment to Hook, who came out of nowhere and looked like the second coming but still has a lot to learn. Jones and O'Gara are similar players, O'Gara has a stronger kicking game but Jones is better in every other department.

Evans on the wing?

Lynott

Evans on the wing?
Potentially. I think this is the Lions' weakest area to be honest. Halfpenny,Sackey, Bowe, Fitzgerald from what I've seen Evans has as much chance as each of those.

Come to think of it, how have I missed Cueto. He is probably the best option.

Jiggs'Hamstring

The wing is a weird one, cause I think Williams stands as a cert but there are 6 or 7 alternatives who all seem to be of the same same standard. Gatland definitely has a thing for Mark Jones though - he has stated that Jones is exactly what you look for in a "Lions player", in terms of attitude etc. We'll have to see

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I'm not an avid rugby fan, but I follow it. My question is why do Welsh club sides do nothing in the Heineken cup?

Jiggs'Hamstring

Well my club, the Scarlets, actually have a pretty good record. We've reached the semi finals twice and been very, very, VERY unfortunate not to go further. Cardiff have made the final once, in the first year of the competition. The restructuring of the Welsh game into regions combining more than one club, has made them stronger, and I think the Ospreys in particular, on paper, are a very strong side with the chance to go a long way in Europe.

But yes, the Welsh sides have historically massively underachieved.

Lynott

I'm not an avid rugby fan, but I follow it. My question is why do Welsh club sides do nothing in the Heineken cup?
I think Wales players are like the opposite to Ireland players. Country before club.

They have been threatening more in the HC every year. Ospreys had a great chance last year but unbelievably lost at home to saracens in the quarters.

Ospreys will have to beat us (Munster) in Thomond which favours us but the Blues have had an awesome qualification. They face Toulouse now in cardiff so they should win that on current form. They will avoid the Irish teams in the semis if the Irish teams win.

I would say it may very well be a Munster Cardiff final this year.

Jiggs'Hamstring

I think Wales players are like the opposite to Ireland players. Country before club.
This is an interesting point. The decision to go to a regional system kind of proves it to be true. Clubs like Swansea, Neath, Newport, Bridgend, Pontypridd, all of which had a proud history of their own, were prepared to merge with each other to form regions, mainly due to the fact that it was presented as the answer to the problems of the international team (which has been justified). Llanelli were the only club who refused to merge with another club (due largely to a massive backlash from the fans), and are now the same club but under a different name (the Scarlets).

And I do think that it's literally only the Scarlets who put club ahead of country, both fans and players. For the majority of people, a Grand Slam would be preferable to a successul club season. As a Scarlets fan, however, the Heineken Cup would be my number 1 priority. Apart from a Welsh World Cup win, obviously.

Lynott

Cant see the South Africans bricking it that much tbh
Have you seen the size of them? :eek:

To be honest the whole pack discussed above may be changed for bulk and brawn.

I mean Sheridan is a shoe in to travel based on his size and aggression, a few other less talented footballers will make the plane for those reasons. Ferris will definately travel. Quinlan maybe? The Scots pack is huge, so there may be a few more Scots travelling than we'd first expect.

Lynott

And I do think that it's literally only the Scarlets who put club ahead of country, both fans and players.
Munster for me man, by a long shot. I believe that is probably the case for all Munster fans and players (except David Wallace who plays out of his skin for both to be fair).

Rooney1987

Have you seen the size of them? :eek:

To be honest the whole pack discussed above may be changed for bulk and brawn.

I mean Sheridan is a shoe in to travel based on his size and aggression, a few other less talented footballers will make the plane for those reasons. Ferris will definately travel. Quinlan maybe? The Scots pack is huge, so there may be a few more Scots travelling than we'd first expect.
Even though Jenkins, Murray have had better 6 nations. I still think Sheridan is the best loose-head prop we have I think were gonna need him the South Africans.

Jiggs'Hamstring

Munster for me man, by a long shot. I believe that is probably the case for all Munster fans and players (except David Wallace who plays out of his skin for both to be fair).
Yeah, I meant out of the Welsh clubs.

I've got to say, Munster were the best visiting support we ever had at Stradey, both when we beat you and when you beat us. It was always one to look forward to.

It'll never be quite the same at the new stadium ... shit

Lynott

Hey Jiggs, It seems clear that the two stand out locks in Europe at the monet are O'Connell and AW Jones. 2 definates to have a seat on the plane to SA. However they are both very dynamic players. Do you think they would work well together?
I am coming around to the thinking that these guys won't start together as they are at their best when playing with a Gough or an O'Callaghan.

What do you think?

How many locks will travell? 3 or 4?

Muckamore Red

15 LeeByrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Brian O'Driscoll
12 Riki Flutey
11 Shane Williams

10 Stephen Jones
9 Mike Phillips

1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Jerry Flannery
3 Euan Murray
4 Paul O'Connell
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
6 Stephen Ferris
7 David Wallace
8 Ryan Jones

Lynott

15 LeeByrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Brian O'Driscoll
12 Riki Flutey
11 Shane Williams

10 Stephen Jones
9 Mike Phillips

1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Jerry Flannery
3 Euan Murray
4 Paul O'Connell
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
6 Stephen Ferris
7 David Wallace
8 Ryan Jones
Very possible.

Special mention to Tom Croft at 6, Heaslip at 8 (with Wallace how quick would that back row be?) and Jones at 3.

Name Changed

weso26
I'd be surprised if Heaslip wasn't chosen. He has been absolutely outstanding for Ireland in the Six Nations.

Rooney1987

1. Jenkins (would love to see Sheridan if fully fit and back to form)
2. Mears
3. Murray
4. O'Connell (captain)
5. Wyn Jones
6. Croft
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Philips
10. Jones (but watch out for Jonny Wilkinson he plays well when he returns this month I think he will start if he shows even a little bit if form)
11. Williams
12. Flutey
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Byrne (if not fit I would go for Delon Armitage)

After the watching the 6 nations watch out for Harry Ellis & Toby Flood. I believe they been the best 9 & 10 partnership its shown allot of potential.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Cann't believe some of you are only giving the Irish 3 caps.

Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Jamie Heaslip
David Wallace
Tommy Bowe will Start

Would Also think Luke Fitzgearld, Rob Kearney, Jerry Flannery and Ronan O'Gara will be close to the first team on another day

Name Changed

weso26

Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Jamie Heaslip
David Wallace
Tommy Bowe will Start

Would Also think Luke Fitzgearld, Rob Kearney, Jerry Flannery and Ronan O'Gara will be close to the first team on another day
Luke Fitzgerald is still very inexperienced and he makes a few too many mistakes. He is only young though and in a couple of years he will be a world class player.

Flannery won't be far off. I don't think O'Gara will be picked. Kearney is a class player. If Lee Byrne wasn't so good, Kearney would be a definite. He was one of Ireland's best players during the six nations.

O'Driscoll, O'Connell, Heaslip and Bowe will all start in my opinion. Wallace is touch and go.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Big Fan of Fitzgerald myself. Has quick hands, good turn of speed and always makes yards.

At 22 he and Kearney are something special

Lynott

Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Jamie Heaslip
David Wallace
Tommy Bowe will Start

I almost agree with your 5 starters. I have my doubts about Heaslip, not because I don't think he should but I just think the selectors will go for Ryan Jones. I like Fitzgerald but don't think he will travel.

Kearney is a close second (forget Armitage) to Byrne, which considering the last year Byrne has had is incredible. ROG and Flan will travel definately with Flan in with shout to start. Jones is a bit more solid than ROG.

Hayes might well travel. O'Callaghan has a huge chance to travel, maybe start, for my reasons earlier in the thread.

Watch out for Strings. He's my wildcard.

Lynott

1. Jenkins (would love to see Sheridan if fully fit and back to form)
2. Mears
3. Murray
4. O'Connell (captain)
5. Wyn Jones
6. Croft
7. Worsley
8. Heaslip
9. Philips
10. Jones (but watch out for Jonny Wilkinson he plays well when he returns this month I think he will start if he shows even a little bit if form)
11. Williams
12. Flutey
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Byrne (if not fit I would go for Delon Armitage)

After the watching the 6 nations watch out for Harry Ellis & Toby Flood. I believe they been the best 9 & 10 partnership its shown allot of potential.
Wallace at 7 with Willaims snapping at his heals. Forget anyone else. Isn't Worsely blindside anyway?

Name Changed

weso26
Big Fan of Fitzgerald myself. Has quick hands, good turn of speed and always makes yards.

At 22 he and Kearney are something special
That's the thing. In a couple of years, the two of them should be two of the world's best players.

Brophs

The One and Only
That's the thing. In a couple of years, the two of them should be two of the world's best players.
I read a very good article comparing Luke Fitzgerald and Shane Williams recently. God knows where I read it, but very interesting to see people talk about the similarities between them. If we get half the player Williams is we'll be sorted with a wing for years.

I'll have a scout to see if I can't find it.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I read a very good article comparing Luke Fitzgerald and Shane Williams recently. God knows where I read it, but very interesting to see people talk about the similarities between them. If we get half the player Williams is we'll be sorted with a wing for years.

I'll have a scout to see if I can't find it.
Williams hasnt been as good as he was last year & was extremely quiet - if memory serves, against Ireland last weekend - thank God says he :)

Stuff the Goat

a Farney man in Galway, next stop America.

Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Jamie Heaslip
David Wallace
Tommy Bowe will Start

Well said Baz!

just a reminder! :nono:

Grand Slam Champs;..................... Ireland
European(heineken) Champions........Munster
Magners (Celtic)League Champions...Leinster

& a very generous avg. of 3 caps!...how nice!:angel: