Your Lions XV

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I watched nearly all the games. England should have won the 5 nations, they threw the Ireland game away and did a similar thing against the Welsh. The England backs are far superior to the rest of the Northern hemisphere as will be proved over the next few years. Certainly Armitage, Cueto, Flutey, Tindall and Ellis should be in the squad.

Muckamore Red

I watched nearly all the games. England should have won the 5 nations, they threw the Ireland game away and did a similar thing against the Welsh. The England backs are far superior to the rest of the Northern hemisphere as will be proved over the next few years. Certainly Armitage, Cueto, Flutey, Tindall and Ellis should be in the squad.

When watching all the games did you not notice there was 6 nations involved ;)

Could easily be argued that Ireland nearly threw the game away, one of O'Gara's worst performances in an Ireland shirt which could cost him a starting place for the lions.

For me Flutey should be in the first XV. Armitage in the squad. The others are touch and go. All depends on how many McGeechan wants to bring.

Name Changed

weso26
Eh, Ireland should have hammered England and would have if Rog didn't have a spastic match.

Jiggs'Hamstring

Hey Jiggs, It seems clear that the two stand out locks in Europe at the monet are O'Connell and AW Jones. 2 definates to have a seat on the plane to SA. However they are both very dynamic players. Do you think they would work well together?
I am coming around to the thinking that these guys won't start together as they are at their best when playing with a Gough or an O'Callaghan.

What do you think?

How many locks will travell? 3 or 4?
To be honest, I really think we'll see O'Connell at 4 and AWJ at 5, and I do think they will work together. The Wales-Ireland game has changed my opinion on quite a few things (particularly the back row), but despite the absolute destruction of the Welsh line-out, I can't see O'Callaghan being selected ahead of AWJ. It was all O'Connell. So I would say that the four 2nd rows on the plane will be O'Connell, Alun Wyn Jones, O'Callaghan and probably Borthwick (reluctantly).

But like I said, what the 6 Nations has changed for me is my idea of the back row. I would have considered Martyn Williams a cert a couple of weeks back, but I now see the back row as Ferris, Wallace and Ryan Jones. Harsh on Williams, but the Irish back row gave Wales very little room to work last weekend, plus size always has to be a consideration against the South Africans.

As for a lot of these other Irish contenders such as Fitzgerald and Kearney - they certainly are very talented. It's a shame that last weekend, after 10 minutes the Irish showed a complete lack of willingness to play any rugby. The tactics of phase-play and angled kicks deprived the backs of any chance to assert themselves and almost cost Ireland the game against a below-par Welsh team. The forwards and a superb all-action show from O'Driscoll (still one of the best in the world) won it for them.

And I still think Stephen Jones is miles ahead of O'Gara. And I think Flutey has come in and made the 12 shirt his own.

Lynott

We have to realise who the selectors and the coaches are.

Cipriani will probably go because he is the darling of Wasps. Ireland may very well have only three players in the team as Gatland seems to hate Irish rugby. O'Connell has probably cost himself the cataincy due to his post match criticism of gatlands bullshit the week before the game.

Lynott

England came good when they had nothing to play for in both the Irish game and the tornament as a whole.
Armitage is well behind Kearney and Byrne. Fluety is good alright and would be my choice as a starter. The fact that he plays for Wasps will help his case also.

Brophs

The One and Only
Errrr... had England not given away all those stupid penalties and those yellow cards you mean surely????
Aye, but you say that as if it's some sort of freak occurrence. That's what this English team do, when they're under pressure, they shit themselves, and start trying to turn over ball that isn't theirs'. That leads to over-exuberance and penalties borne out of frustration. Your lot were giving away penos because we had good ball in good/scoring positions, and that was the only way you were going to stop us.

I don't think we would have won by a big margin, but even if you'd played a clean-ish game, we would have gotten the scores. We just had better players in the key positions on the day. But the English have the makings of a good team now, it will be interesting to see how they kick on from a decent end to the season.

Jiggs'Hamstring

Yeah, I agree. 'Giving away stupid penalties' is far less of an excuse in rugby than in football, as it is more often than not directly proportionate to the amount of pressure the side was under. Without giving away those penalties England could have conceded a couple of tries.

Neither team grabbed the game by the balls though. It would have been fascinating to see how the tournament would have gone had England come into it with a bit of confidence and a willingness to throw the ball around (for the first time in years). They showed that they can do it towards the end, but by then it was too late.

Rams

England kept giving penalties in possesion. The decision making was atrocious. The couple of times that did get the ball out to their backs they caused both the Irish and Welsh all kinds of problems. England finally got their act together against the French and Scots, and the backs absolutely destroyed them. I may not be a expert at Rugby, but Ive been watching Rugby sonce I can remember and I do know a little bit. Certainly Armitage, Flutey and Tindall were the most dangerous backs in the 5 nations this year from what I saw. And Ugo Monye was the quickest.

Lynott

Certainly Armitage, Flutey and Tindall were the most dangerous backs in the 5 nations this year from what I saw. And Ugo Monye was the quickest.
I imagine you watched every England game rather than every game.

Name Changed

weso26
Errrr... had England not given away all those stupid penalties and those yellow cards you mean surely????
You are aware that Ireland were well ahead until England scored a late try.

And giving away penalties and stupid yellow cards is what England do best. They deliberately tried to stifle Ireland to stop them playing. The fact is that is ROG had his shooting boots on, the match wouldn't have even been a contest.

Jiggs'Hamstring

So Henson is out of the running then. He hasn't done anything to warrant a place in the squad anyway, but Gatland seems to be prepared to forgive him for pretty much anything. I'm glad he won't be available, the 12 shirt is Flutey's to lose now.

And I can't see how Tindall can be called one of the 3 most dangerous backs in the 6 Nations. It's not the case. Flutey had an excellent tournament, and Armitage is very quick but still a long way from being top class. Give him a year or two.

Rooney1987

Just remind everyone the Lions squid is announced today. Paul O'Connell will be confirmed as the Captain aswell.

Rams

Should have picked Delon Armitage & Cueto.
But at least he’s tried to get some pace and flair in the backline.
The forwards look very strong. But the problem will be getting them to gel.

Full-back
Lee Byrne (28) Ospreys and Wales
Rob Kearney (23) Leinster and Ireland

Wing
Shane Williams (32) Ospreys and Wales
Leigh Halfpenny (20) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Ugo Monye (26) Harlequins and England
Luke Fitzgerald (21) Leinster and Ireland
Tommy Bowe (25) Ospreys and Ireland
Centres
Tom Shanklin (29) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Jamie Roberts (22) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Brian O'Driscoll (30) Leinster and Ireland
Keith Earls (21) Munster and Ireland
Riki Flutey (29) Wasps and England
Fly-half
Stephen Jones (31) Llanelli Scarlets and Wales
Ronan O'Gara (32) Munster and Ireland
Scrum-half
Mike Phillips (26) Ospreys and Wales
Harry Ellis (26) Leicester and England
Tomas O'Leary (25) Munster and Ireland
Prop
Gethin Jenkins (28) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Adam Jones (28) Ospreys and Wales
Andrew Sheridan(29) Sale and England
Phil Vickery (33) Wasps and England
Euan Murray (28) Northampton and Scotland
Hooker
Jerry Flannery (30) Munster and Ireland
Lee Mears (30) Bath and England
Matthew Rees (28) Llanelli Scarlets and Wales
Lock
Paul O'Connell, capt (29) Munster and Ireland
Alun Wyn Jones (23) Ospreys and Wales
Donncha O'Callaghan (30) Munster and Ireland
Nathan Hines (32) Perpignan and Scotland
Simon Shaw (35) Wasps and England
Back-row
Andy Powell (27) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Jamie Heaslip (25) Leinster and Ireland
Alan Quinlan (34) Munster and Ireland
Martyn Williams (33) Cardiff Blues and Wales
David Wallace (32) Munster and Ireland
Joe Worsley (31) Wasps and England
Stephen Ferris (23) Ulster and Ireland

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Should have picked Delon Armitage & Cueto.
But at least he’s tried to get some pace and flair in the backline.
The forwards look very strong. But the problem will be getting them to gel.

Full-back
Lee Byrne (28) Ospreys and Wales
Rob Kearney (23) Leinster and Ireland

Wing
Shane Williams (32) Ospreys and Wales
Leigh Halfpenny (20) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Ugo Monye (26) Harlequins and England
Luke Fitzgerald (21) Leinster and Ireland
Tommy Bowe (25) Ospreys and Ireland

Centres
Tom Shanklin (29) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Jamie Roberts (22) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Brian O'Driscoll (30) Leinster and Ireland
Keith Earls (21) Munster and Ireland
Riki Flutey (29) Wasps and England

Fly-half
Stephen Jones (31) Llanelli Scarlets and Wales
Ronan O'Gara (32) Munster and Ireland

Scrum-half
Mike Phillips (26) Ospreys and Wales
Harry Ellis (26) Leicester and England
Tomas O'Leary (25) Munster and Ireland

Prop
Gethin Jenkins (28) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Adam Jones (28) Ospreys and Wales
Andrew Sheridan(29) Sale and England
Phil Vickery (33) Wasps and England
Euan Murray (28) Northampton and Scotland

Hooker
Jerry Flannery (30) Munster and Ireland
Lee Mears (30) Bath and England
Matthew Rees (28) Llanelli Scarlets and Wales

Lock
Paul O'Connell, capt (29) Munster and Ireland
Alun Wyn Jones (23) Ospreys and Wales
Donncha O'Callaghan (30) Munster and Ireland
Nathan Hines (32) Perpignan and Scotland
Simon Shaw (35) Wasps and England

Back-row
Andy Powell (27) Cardiff Blues and Wales
Jamie Heaslip (25) Leinster and Ireland
Alan Quinlan (34) Munster and Ireland

Martyn Williams (33) Cardiff Blues and Wales
David Wallace (32) Munster and Ireland
Joe Worsley (31) Wasps and England
Stephen Ferris (23) Ulster and Ireland
14 Irish lads & great that O'Connell got the captaincy - BOD is a D4 silver spooned toff :cool:

Lynott

Delighted for Quinny. He'll get under their skin alright.

oleonenumber20

surprised Armitage is left out but not too surprised as Byrne and Kearney will be starting ahead of him, plus pointless taking too many players for one position as players like 1/2p and Roberts can also play full back if needed. Ugo has been in great from for his club and will add a bit of power to the wing. Shame for Ryan Jones but his form for club and country has been crap this season, powell will be awesome coming off the bench. But the big surprise for me is that Croft isn't in the touring party I had him down as a starter.

Lynott

The selectors have done really well actually.

Powerfull front row platform, quick dynamic ball carrying locks and a backrow of pace and power. The backs start from a steady platform at halfback to a center of experience and power to an exciting back three.

That is the game plan and the players have been selected accordingly.

Lynott

All this whinging about Armitage has to stop.
There are two better full backs than him going.

Why compare Armitage and Moyne anyway, one is a winger the other full back?

Name Changed

weso26
O'Connell is a great leader on the pitch though. I'm sure the players would look up to his as much if not more. Tough call but I don't think it's a bad one.