Your Manchester United Formation

Dunk

Body language expert
Now that we've almost concluded our transfers this window, who would you play and where?

Now, I'm not good at this thing, these new signings are all a bit too fresh for me so I'm looking for experts who can get the best possible line-up out of the players we've got now. Obviously exclude the guys we've let go. Please include a subs bench.

NinjaFletch

-----------De Gea
----Rojo-Smalling-Evans
Rafael-----Blind------Shaw
------Di Maria-Mata--------
--Rooney-------Falcao-----

Ish

Lights on for Luke
4-4-2 diamond?

--------------DDG

Rafael--Jones---Rojo---Shaw

---------Blind/Carrick

-Herrera------------AdM
------------Mata

----Rooney/RvP---Falcao

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
A diamond makes the most sense right now. It's a better fit than the 3-5-2 which our defence is struggling to get to grips with but keeps some of the same benefits.

Bwuk

Assuming Falcao and Blind get confirmed today, and that everyone is fit.

De Gea
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Carrick Herrera
di Maria Rooney Januzaj
Falcao

Subs; Lindegaard, Smalling, Evans, Valencia, Blind, Mata, RvP

Kaos

4-4-2 diamond?

--------------DDG

Rafael--Jones---Rojo---Shaw

---------Blind/Carrick

-Herrera------------AdM
------------Mata

----Rooney/RvP---Falcao
Has to be that for me too.

Alternatively Dutch 4-3-3:

----------------DDG------------------
----Rafel----Jones----Rojo-----Shaw
-----------------Blind----------------
-----------Herrera-----Di Maria-----
---Januzaj-------------------------Rooney
-----------------Falcao---------------------

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
-----------De Gea
----Rojo-Smalling-Evans
Rafael-----Blind------Shaw
------Di Maria-Mata--------
--Rooney-------Falcao-----
That's the other option and I suspect Van Gaal will persist with that for a few more games at least, to see if it starts clicking.

If not I think he'll replace a centre back with an extra midfielder and keep a similar system in the diamond.

Although Di Maria should be on the left, and I suspect he will play deeper than Mata as he did last week in a more conventional 3-5-2.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
A diamond makes the most sense right now. It's a better fit than the 3-5-2 which our defence is struggling to get to grips with but keeps some of the same benefits.

Hmm... I think I actually agree with this, except I'd have Smalling for Jones. Rooney and Di Maria could provide the width when needed.

Jacob

Excellent!

When Carrick is back I think we can put him in instead of Di Maria for more balance and move Di Maria up in exchange for Mata.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Has to be that for me too.

Alternatively Dutch 4-3-3:

----------------DDG------------------
----Rafel----Jones----Rojo-----Shaw
-----------------Blind----------------
-----------Herrera-----Di Maria-----
---Januzaj-------------------------Rooney
-----------------Falcao---------------------
That's my preferred formation and players also.
ANYTHING EXCEPT 3-5-2 PLEASE!!

Jacob

I'm a sucker for these graphics :drool: I blame Championship Manager 99/00.

Wish Herrera and Blind could get number 6 and 8 too, that would be the icing on the cake.

Dunk

Body language expert
Holy moly, we've got some good line-ups here.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
------------ddg----------------
----evans--jones--rojo--------
Raf-----------------------shaw
-----------blind---------------
------herera----ADM-----------
----Rooney------Falcao--------

Or

-------------ddg----------------
Raf------jones----rojo-----shaw
-------------blind---------------
--------herera----ADM-----------
--------------mata---------------
-----rooney--------falcao--------

Or

-------------ddg-----------------
Raf-----jones---rojo-------shaw
-------------blind----------------
-------herera---mata-------------
Januzaj----------------------ADM
------------Falcao---------------

First most likely, would prefer 3rd.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I'm diamond hard, lads.
Best formation I've seen so far, but I'd love to see us bring in a stronger DM and a Right sided player, so that Di Maria can play behind Falcao, i.e. part of the midfield.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Excellent!

When Carrick is back I think we can put him in instead of Di Maria for more balance and move Di Maria up in exchange for Mata.
That's actually the perfect position for Di Maria, he's probably the best player in the world at playing that role and he suits it more than a #10. That hybrid position lets him drift wide at times but still keeps him centrally which is his best position.

I don't think Carrick could play any position in the diamond except for the deepest midfield, where Blind is. The wide midfielders in the diamond have to work exceptionally hard.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wishful thinking, but:

DDG (c)

Rafael ----- Smalling ---- Jones/Rojo ----- Shaw

Blind ---- Herrera

Januzaj ----- Mata ----- Di Maria

Falcao​

Dracula

caf plane air-master
The 'good' thing about the 442 diamond is that it is very close in essence to the 352 with the CDM dropping deep as the 'centre' centre back. Thus making any 'transition' easier. It also is only formation along witb 352 that gets rooney mata falcao and ADM in the same side.

The bad thing about it is that the diamond needs a pacey 'number 10' to bring width where there was none. This is why it works well for liverpool because sterling runs all over the place. Mata cant do that.

ADM could though ;-)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I like this.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I agree with everyone supporting the diamond formation, but you've all got the diamond in the wrong place

vibe

Best formation I've seen so far, but I'd love to see us bring in a stronger DM and a Right sided player, so that Di Maria can play behind Falcao, i.e. part of the midfield.
Strootman come January is the answer to your "stronger DM" problem. And you forget right midfield is Di Maria's natural position. It's where he'd want to play if he was asked.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Wishful thinking, but:

DDG (c)

Blind ---- Herrera

Falcao​
I can't see us doing that as it means dropping Rooney and playing Di Maria in not his best role. We spent £60million getting him so we'll look to use him properly. As a winger he was extremely frustrating, but as an offensive central midfielder he is absolutely world class.

Jacob

Wishful thinking, but:

DDG (c)

Blind ---- Herrera

Falcao​
LvG: "Rooney is my captain, he will always be on the pitch."

I get your thinking though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, Rooney is always going to play - which I wouldn't mind if it was on-form Rooney, but who know's when he's going to turn up.

To be honest, it looks like we're set with this 3-5-2 for quite some time. I do think it'll look a lot better once Shaw and Rafael come into the team. Also, Blind in there should help sure up the midfield.

Does mean less gametime for Januzaj though, unless we're going to use him as an AM.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
It has to be the diamond. Blind holding, Herrara and Di Maria flanking, Mata behind two strikers.

Januzaj could come on in place of pretty much any of the front five if we want to add a bit more pace and trickery.

The only other addition we'd need is perhaps some more competition for the box-to-box CM roles. I think that position would really suit Lingard but if we hopefully sell Anderson and Cleverley we will be short on numbers. I dont know if Fletcher will have the energy for it these days.

Kazi

De Gea
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Blind Herrera
Mata
Di Maria Falcao Rooney

Dunk

Body language expert
One thing's for sure, we will need two of Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Cleverley or Fellaini as back-ups in the midfield role to Herrera, Blind and Di Maria. Three of these guys are surplus and frankly not good enough anyway. Fletcher's past it and Fellaini and Cleverly are not good enough, so I propose them moving on.

On the flanks, it seems Nani's moved on and I propose Young bugger off, because I really don't like him. Valencia and Januzaj are good enough for now.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Strootman come January is the answer to your "stronger DM" problem. And you forget right midfield is Di Maria's natural position. It's where he'd want to play if he was asked.
I'm not saying he can't play there, just think he could be a monster through the middle.

LInkash

De Gea

Jones Rojo

Herrera Blind

Mata Di Maria Januzaj

Rooney Falcao van Persie​

Oneunited26

One thing's for sure, we will need two of Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Cleverley or Fellaini as back-ups in the midfield role to Herrera, Blind and Di Maria. Three of these guys are surplus and frankly not good enough anyway. Fletcher's past it and Fellaini and Cleverly are not good enough, so I propose them moving on.

On the flanks, it seems Nani's moved on and I propose Young bugger off, because I really don't like him. Valencia and Januzaj are good enough for now.
I think we will only need carrick, has anderson fletcher cleverley fellaini are waisted wages that could be saved

starman

..................De Gea...................
Jones..............Evans..............Rojo..............
Raf.................Blind........................Shaw
...................Herrera........................
.....Di Maria...................Rooney............
...................Falcao............................