Your most overrated footballer

RUCK4444

Never bought into the "best in the world" hype. Best in the world and he can't handle a cross?
Wow wow now, Dave for a period of three years was the best in the world.

During that period he made almost zero mistakes, carried the team almost single handedly during some feckin dark times on the pitch.

RUCK4444

I’m gunna say Buffon.

Shots fired!

I’m sure I’m gunna get battered for it. Just always thought he was a ‘solid’ keeper rather than elite level.

No CL trophy either :wenger:

Patchbeard

I thought Diomansy Kamara was pretty good 15 years ago. Stats now suggest otherwise, one 20 goal season in the Championship but never more than 5 goals a season in the Premier League.

alexthelion

The most overrated player of all time was Beckham. One of the few manc players I liked, but who doesn’t like Beckham. He was responsible for bringing millions of fans to love the sport and was a great player but overrated. Great crosser of the ball, great vision and good free kicks. Not fast and couldn’t beat a man or defend. Yet he is known to be the most overrated player ever to play the game.
Just how wrong can you be?

alexthelion

Wow wow now, Dave for a period of three years was the best in the world.

During that period he made almost zero mistakes, carried the team almost single handedly during some feckin dark times on the pitch.
Still doesn't make him one of or even the best, he is lacking in so many things that make a goalie great.

RooneyLegend

Hulk, Mayer and Riquelme after watching some highlight packages. Learnt then nd there never to judge players based on highlights but sometimes I still fall into the trap.

alexthelion

If you think De Gea is one of the most overrated players you know literally nothing about football.
I know that, for me, DDG would never make a greatest Man United team ahead of VdS or Schmikes. They are far better all-round goalies than DdG. Foe me, for a goalie to be great, he has to be all round great not just a wonderful shot stopper.

RUCK4444

Still doesn't make him one of or even the best, he is lacking in so many things that make a goalie great.
You can’t say a player was the best in the world in his position for 2/3 years and at the same time not class him as ‘great.’

It’s also a complete myth that because he apparently “lacks strength at crosses and that he could be more vocal” and therefore he isn’t one of the best.

Keep the feckin ball out of the net, that is your first job and your last job as a keeper, Dave has done that as well as ANY keeper we’ve had.

He’s not the perfect keeper, nobody is, he’s the best at keeping shots out of the goal which is more important than any skewed modern day view on goalkeepers, where they have to be a sweeper with Schmeichel’s size and vocality AND THEN have to be a top shot stopper on top of that.

montpelier

Apart from the 3 seasons when he looked practically unbeatable the criticism of DDG does contain an element of truth. Contested high balls are not really his thing.

But anyway, GKs.

Almunia (for England) - as I believed they were trying to call him.

Seaman - in his last 5-7 seasons

and atm

Allisson Becker - for being better than Migs, Karius and Adrian presumably.

RUCK4444

Zola.

Great player on his day but was he consistently great? I might be being harsh but he’s always one I think we tend to overrate slightly.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought Clarence Seedorf was underwhelming considering his status for large parts of his career.

Did he ever stand out in any international tournament for Holland? And he was a disappointment at Real Madrid and Inter Milan from what I saw but ultimately that fabulous Ac Milan team of 00s fitted him well and he matured a fair bit aswell.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I'm another who overrated Gotze. I thought he was all set to become the next best player in the world. Unfortunately injuries and Bayern ruined him.
That Bollocks never grows old, does it. I could name a few other players of that Dortmund squad who were shit at their next teams and never ever played at that level again. Who ruined Kagawa or Sahin? maybe it wasn't Bayern who ruined all of them.
When Götze arrived at Bayern, he was on his 4th major muscle injury. At Bayern, he had another one of those that cost him 1/3 of a year. Still Götze has decent stats (slightly better than for BVB in goals scored/assist/game) and could at least be called a better-than-average BL player up to his illness. What happened since he rejoined BVB? he's a shadow.. did BVB ruin him?

bsCallout

This argument would be more valid if Pirlo didn't win 2 UCL trophies and a World Cup.
Did he? Or did the teams?

There are many players that are made to look better by there team stats. This isn't whether Pirlo is good, it's that he is vastly overrated, probably because of those team stats if anything.

That Italy team was incredible with Pirlo not because of him. He's talked about as if he's good enough to have won that WC himself, like you have indirectly implied.

He doesn't come close to my top midfield players and I'd sooner have his teammate Gattusso, that's my point.

Cannavaro got in the team of the tournament but he'a never mentioned with Pirlo.

hmchan

That Bollocks never grows old, does it. I could name a few other players of that Dortmund squad who were shit at their next teams and never ever played at that level again. Who ruined Kagawa or Sahin? maybe it wasn't Bayern who ruined all of them.
When Götze arrived at Bayern, he was on his 4th major muscle injury. At Bayern, he had another one of those that cost him 1/3 of a year. Still Götze has decent stats (slightly better than for BVB in goals scored/assist/game) and could at least be called a better-than-average BL player up to his illness. What happened since he rejoined BVB? he's a shadow.. did BVB ruin him?
Many players in that title-winning Dortmund team were indeed overrated, such as Gotze, Reus, Sahin, Gundogan and Kagawa. They just thrived under Klopp and somehow fitted to his system, but most of them failed after leaving and Lewandowski was the only successful one.

crossy1686

career ending
The most overrated player of all time was Beckham. One of the few manc players I liked, but who doesn’t like Beckham. He was responsible for bringing millions of fans to love the sport and was a great player but overrated. Great crosser of the ball, great vision and good free kicks. Not fast and couldn’t beat a man or defend. Yet he is known to be the most overrated player ever to play the game.
He almost won the Ballon d'Or and was only beaten by Zidane, that doesn't happen to overrated players.

He was easily one of the greatest players of his generation. His fantasy football stats were insane, I don't think anyone didn't have him in their team back in the day.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I overrated Gio Dos Santos when he burst into the scene. Was for sure believing he was going to become better than Messi :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
He almost won the Ballon d'Or and was only beaten by Zidane, that doesn't happen to overrated players.

He was easily one of the greatest players of his generation. His fantasy football stats were insane, I don't think anyone didn't have him in their team back in the day.
I think Beckham is underrated. The amount of times I've seen him labelled a 'limited player' is unrreal, and it's a phrase I've only really seen used for him for some strange reason as opposed to players like John O'Shea.

Don't really get the logic of almost winning the Ballon d'Or meaning he can't be overrated though. That just means he was very highly rated indeed. If someone thinks he shouldn't have been in the reckoning for such an award then to them he was being overrated at the time.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Most players of Dortmund's Championship team were definitely overrated. Klopp created such a perfect system where even Großkreutz would perform well occasionally. Subotic ,Piszczek , Kagawa, Sahin, Götze, Schmelzer ... none of them have ever performed close to what they have show under Klopp.

sparx99

Dennis Bergkamp. Good player, but his record ain't all that. Arsenal fans think he was some kind of god.
Does Bergkamp not have a similar record to Cantona? They seem quite similar in their style and output and the way both teams rate them.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Most players of Dortmund's Championship team were definitely overrated. Klopp created such a perfect system where even Großkreutz would perform well occasionally. Subotic ,Piszczek , Kagawa, Sahin, Götze, Schmelzer ... none of them have ever performed close to what they have show under Klopp.
Was thinking about that yesterday. Jordan Henderson was giving an interview on the radio as I was preparing food and they spent time afterwards talking about him in general, saying how he's improved as a footballer under Klopp. Got me thinking along those lines, that Klopp is probably making him look better than he really is in a way although that's an awkward way of phrasing it. Klopp did that at Dortmund too with players like the ones you mentioned.

The sad thing is that it basically means Klopp is an amazing manager, that he can truly get more than the sum of it's parts out of his teams and get many players to perform better than anyone else can. We've seen it with those Dortmund players he had and now at Liverpool too. I'd have laughed at Henderson and Wijnaldum being important parts of a title winning team at one point in time.

Last edited:

sparx99

They constantly do that. Right now they have the best GK itw, probably the best LB and definitely the best RB itw but the best FB pair for sure, the best CB in a generation, best young CB in Gomes, best DM in Fabinho and best captain in Henderson, also the greatest substitution ever made in Wijnaldum and the best front 3 itw.

Suarez also had the greatest ever season in the PL bar none and this Liverpool team is the greatest in English history.

All those are legitimately claims I've heard from Liverpool fans. Online and in person.

It's funny that were clearly the best team in PL times. We've won 13. But nothing of ours was the best. They actually argue Salah or Ronaldo, forgetting Ronaldo scored 42 goals in England as a 22 year old.
Yeah, Football 365 has had conversations these past few weeks where Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Cantona etc. At some point players who won the treble and doubles and title after tile may have been half-decent.

sparx99

Hazard. Good but never that level.
Neymar. Although that might be more to do with poor career choices.
Neymar is a very difficult player to judge. Obviously, he has won loads and his international record is unbelievable but he played with prime Messi, Suarez, Xavi etc. Then he has gone to France where its easy for PSG and his record isn't incredible. He may just be let down by his attitude rather than his talent.

Stacks

:nono:

Atm, probably Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Juventus Pogba is up there. Hes a better player nowadays at United than he was at Juve.

Hazard as well, I was saying that he was overrated prior to the 16/17 season.

Joe Gomez is kinda overrated.

Raheem Sterling as well, at least as a goalscorer, hes a tap in merchant. Pretty good as a creator though on the wings. Gabriel Jesus is a tap in merchant as well.

Sergio Ramos is well up there, hasn't been a very good defender, defensively... in many years.

Marcelo has never been particularly good defensively.

If you spoke to liverpool fans you'd think that firmino was the best centre forward in world football, hes a tad overrated if you ask me, though hes still a really good player.

tldr: TAA currently. Honourable mentions to Gomez, Sterling, Firmino, G. Jesus, Marcelo and Ramos. I don't think Pogba and Hazard are overrated these days. But they were up until around 2017.

edit: I actually sort of agree with Pirlo. Great great player but not quite on the same level as Scholes or Xavi. Xavi > Scholes > Pirlo IMO.
Was a key part of a midfield that regularly beat Scholes' Midfields and was better than any midfield Scholes had been a part of. 3 champions league finals in 5 seasons. Also finished top 10 Balon D'or 3 times.

Also starred for the world cup winning team in 2006 and lead the tournament in assists, as well as making all STAR team. Also starred in 2012 European Championships, making team of the tournament.

You ranking Scholes above Pirlo must be based off Scholes premier league dominance (domestic league Pirlo never played in) as in International and Europe, Pirlo dominates him.

If the roles were reversed and Pirlo won loads of Schudettos with Milan, featured in 1 CL final (and got subbed off) but Scholes (and the big 4 of Beckham Keane Giggs) made 3 CL finals in 4 years, England Won World cup 1998 (with Scholes making team of the tournament and leading in assists) and Scholes then starred in Euro 2004 with England making the finals, I doubt you would claim Pirlo was the better midfielder.

I agree with all your other choices though

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Couldn't imagine how terrible the performance would be if there's a team like this:

GK - Bravo
RB - Ramos
CB - Stones
CB - Maguire
LB - Marcelo
RM - Muller
CM - Kante
CM - Kroos
LM - J. Rodriguez
ST - Chicharito
ST - Jesus
This team would do well under a good manager. Overrated doesn't mean shit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I did actually think of Hazard aswell.

A fantastic player no doubt who lead Chelsea to a couple of leagues but compared to many of his generation there's very few performances in later rounds of champions league to get excited about.

At international level he was excellent in world cup before France nulified him in the semi final.

He's just lacking that decisive tournament/cl performance likes of Modric and Neymar have had.

BiggusCrickus

After watching the Dortmund games since lockdown... Haaland has an awful touch and would never get the space he does in the premiership.

Eden Hazard flat track bully

Mo Salah another one

Harry Kane and Dele Ali . Son is the best player Spurs have got

Red Stone

Basically every languid, nonchalant flair player ever.

There's something about that casual Berba-esque approach to the game that makes people foam at the mouth in admiration, even if nothing ever actually happens when they have the ball. Adel Taarabt, Hatem Ben Arfa and Ravel Morrison somehow keep getting jobs way above their actual level because they do fancy stuff when they're arsed, which isn't often. Meanwhile, a player like Lingard, who at least has the decency to bust a gut running all over the pitch while accomplishing equally little, will get pages and pages of abuse for being shite.

Stacks

Basically every languid, nonchalant flair player ever.

There's something about that casual Berba-esque approach to the game that makes people foam at the mouth in admiration, even if nothing ever actually happens when they have the ball. Adel Taarabt, Hatem Ben Arfa and Ravel Morrison somehow keep getting jobs way above their actual level because they do fancy stuff when they're arsed, which isn't often. Meanwhile, a player like Lingard, who at least has the decency to bust a gut running all over the pitch while accomplishing equally little, will get pages and pages of abuse for being shite.
The ability to take players on and out of the game is a highly sought after attribute. once you beat a player you take them out of the game and the opposition then has to gamble whether someone needs to cover and you pull people out of position so its the best space/opportunity creator. basically these players actually create where as players like Lingard spend most their time passing the ball to more useful players to do what the Ben Arfa's and Taarabt's do.

Also in 131 premier league games Lingard has 29 G + A where as Ben Arfa has 26 G + A in 83 and is also much more of a threat with his direct dribbling.

SpyLuke10

:nono:

Was a key part of a midfield that regularly beat Scholes' Midfields and was better than any midfield Scholes had been a part of. 3 champions league finals in 5 seasons. Also finished top 10 Balon D'or 3 times.

Also starred for the world cup winning team in 2006 and lead the tournament in assists, as well as making all STAR team. Also starred in 2012 European Championships, making team of the tournament.

You ranking Scholes above Pirlo must be based off Scholes premier league dominance (domestic league Pirlo never played in) as in International and Europe, Pirlo dominates him.

If the roles were reversed and Pirlo won loads of Schudettos with Milan, featured in 1 CL final (and got subbed off) but Scholes (and the big 4 of Beckham Keane Giggs) made 3 CL finals in 4 years, England Won World cup 1998 (with Scholes making team of the tournament and leading in assists) and Scholes then starred in Euro 2004 with England making the finals, I doubt you would claim Pirlo was the better midfielder.

I agree with all your other choices though
You make some good points. I take it back then. However there are definitely some out there who probably never even watched Pirlo who rate him like he is a midfield god or something. Furthermore, I still would rank Pirlo, Scholes and Xavi in that order I said. But yeah, he is obviously on the same level. Top player.