Your Other Sports' moments of the Year 2012

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It being an Olympics year besides everything else, i was thinking if people nominated five instances which stood out most for them over the last twelve months that we could have a poll around the turn of the year?

The provisional closing date for nominations [provided that enough of you take part ;)] will be the 24th of December.

I'll try and tally up the results when everyone else starts to watch the crap Xmas TV, just before the turkey sandwiches.

Liam147

On Probation
This being a football forum, you'd think so wouldn't you, genius?

1. By far and away the greatest sporting moment was Martin Kaymer holing the winning putt to keep Yank hands off the Ryder Cup. An incredible three days, all beginning with us being underdogs, culminating in a final day that was supposed to be their day. Even now I love thinking about that Sunday.

2. Super Saturday. Watching that day in a beautifully secluded cabin in North Yorkshire was brilliant. Three golds in about 37 minutes or so.

3. Farah's second gold. Watching that whilst pissed with a load of my family leaves it narrowly behind Super Saturday.

4. Andy Murray gold. This comes above his US Open won for me. Winning at Wimbledon over five sets was the start of a new era for him and British tennis.

5. The Wimbledon final. I think this comes above his won even though he lost. We'd seen Nadal fall and Murray work his way into the final. So much optimism surrounded it, and even though he lost, he probably won over a million people with his teary speech at the end.

I'd love to be able to say one of our cycling medals, but sadly I missed most of them through work or being on North Yorkshire winding roads.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
1. Usain Bolt in the Olympics. All 3 races he participated in were exciting and unforgettable.

2. Mo Farah's 5000m gold. Didn't really care that much for him before the Olympics but he comes across as a really nice guy and when he came round the final corner to the finish line in the 5000m, I was cheering him on as I would United. Brilliant stuff.

3. Tendulkar's 100th 100. Legend, historic moment.

4. Murray's win in the US Open. Epic match, finally the crying fecker won a grand slam.

5. The US basketball team in the Olympics. They may not beat the 1992 'dream team' but they were a great team in their own right and it was exciting watching them play, even if it was no surprise they won the gold.

Hitchcocker

Michael Phelps swansong was the most memorable moment for me - more so than Bolt's triumph if only because everyone expected Bolt to win.

Lin Dan beating Lee Chong Wei for the Olympic Gold Medal in badminton.

Andy Murray winning his first Grand Slam.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
David Rudisha's fearless 800m world record run at the Olympics.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Schumacher letting Vettel past in Brazil.

Come on Zarlak, you know you want to bite!

Rooney1987

1) That 45 minutes on the 2nd Saturday of the Olympics when Rutherford, Ennis and Mo won the 3 golds.

2) David Rudisha 800m world record run

3) Murray wins the first British Grand Slam

4) Wiggins wins the Tour de France.

5) England beating New Zealand in the Rugby

buckooo1978

the final day of the Ryder cup - amazing

in particular Ian Poulter's heroics and the final day

adam scott beating mickleson was awesome

Widnes

* Ryder Cup
* Wiggins winning the Tour de France
* British performance in general at the Olympics, especially the Track Cycling
* Widnes Vikings 37 - 36 Wigan Warriors, Rugby League
* oh and tonight Europe winning the Mosconi cup, despite not been a big pool fan I have really enjoyed it.

pauldyson1uk

1.Super Saturday. Three golds in about 37 minutes or so. This will stay will me for many years one of those times, where you will remember just where you was.

Close second is Wiggins being the first Brit to win the Tour de France.

3. Just amazing.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
* Ryder Cup
* Wiggins winning the Tour de France
* British performance in general at the Olympics, especially the Track Cycling
* Widnes Vikings 37 - 36 Wigan Warriors, Rugby League
* oh and tonight Europe winning the Mosconi cup, despite not been a big pool fan I have really enjoyed it.
Was brilliant. The last American to lose (Deshane?) choked big time imo. The atmosphere was superb.

Liam147

On Probation
I didn't see much of that. I did get into it (and my dad actually) when it was on two years ago. I have no idea why as we both quite like snooker (me more so), and neither of us like pool. Anyway, it being something of a sister tournament to the Ryder Cup, which is my favourite sporting tournament, we both rather enjoyed it. We ended up recording the end with it being in America and found myself celebrating a European win in a sport I had never previously watched before.

I'm not particularly fond of the Americans.

forevrared

Bubba Watson's shot from the trees to win The Masters for me - favorite tournament and probably my favorite player on tour winning in dramatic fashion.

I'm not sure what the rest of you are talking about with the Ryder Cup, I'm 110% sure it hasn't happened yet and most certainly if it had the US would've won by some margin and only given the Euros a glimmer of a chance to come back on the final day but surely not enough that they'd actually grab it... :nervous:

Liam147

On Probation
Bubba Watson's shot from the trees to win The Masters for me - favorite tournament and probably my favorite player on tour winning in dramatic fashion.

I'm not sure what the rest of you are talking about with the Ryder Cup, I'm 110% sure it hasn't happened yet and most certainly if it had the US would've won by some margin and only given the Euros a glimmer of a chance to come back on the final day but surely not enough that they'd actually grab it... :nervous:
I'm actually watching 'How The Ryder Cup Was Won' now. One of the best sporting days of my life. I only hope I can live more days like that. Greatest comeback of the Ryder Cup.

I actually forgot about Watson. I love the Masters, and had four bets, he was one, and my only outright winner. Him winning was brilliant for me - 50/1!

Widnes

The Masters is actually my worst tournament in golf out the majors but that maybe because the coverage we get over in the UK is terrible only been able to air from 8pm when a lot of the best players have been out. Also the footage seems to focus on lots of lovely shots of nice flowers rather than the actual golf. I do like it having the same course every year but I just don't get into it like other majors. The Open on a proper British course anyday for me.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Indiana's soccer team won the College Cup as a 16 seed this year, it was an inspired run. As a season ticket holder it's even more satisfying, having watched them develop.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Indiana's soccer team won the College Cup as a 16 seed this year, it was an inspired run. As a season ticket holder it's even more satisfying, having watched them develop.
That's a nice story, particularly with those awful tornadoes in the state earlier in the year.

These stories don't all have to be on the scale of the Olympics or Ryder Cup necessarily.

Speaking which, might i ask people to if possible narrow down some of their choices [unless they're not fussed either way], the Olympics in general or Super Saturday is a bit too all-encompassing for a poll category. I don't know what everyone else thinks?

pauldyson1uk

That's a nice story, particularly with those awful tornadoes in the state earlier in the year.

These stories don't all have to be on the scale of the Olympics or Ryder Cup necessarily.

Speaking which, might i ask people to if possible narrow down some of their choices [unless they're not fussed either way], the Olympics in general or Super Saturday is a bit too all-encompassing for a poll category. I don't know what everyone else thinks?
I think Super Saturday is OK, there was so much going on in that 30+ mins, that you could not just single out one thing, the rest of the Olympic's and Paralympics I would agree keep it to single events.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
1. Federer's 17th GS title at Wimbledon.
2. Tendulkar's hundred 100's.
3. Bolt at the Olympics.

Nearco

youth team player
1. Wiggins in Yellow on the Champs Elysees.

2. Murray winning the US Open.

3. Frankel's epic victories at Ascot, York and Ascot again. The greatest flat horse in history.

4. Mo Farah's last lap in the 10,000 metres. Unreal atmosphere.

5. 800m Final at the Olympics.