Your preference for the next Manager?

Who is your choice to replace Ferguson as manager?

• Mourinho

Votes: 211 44.8%
  • Moyes

Votes: 59 12.5%
  • Klopp

Votes: 133 28.2%
  • Ole

Votes: 26 5.5%
  • Cantona

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Benitez

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • Wenger

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Laudrup

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Pep

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Carlos Q

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RooneyLegend

Sure our style of football needs modernizing, but which modern our we heading to? I'm seeing two streams, the dortmund/southampton or barca/ arsenal, personally I prefer the former hence I'd like us to get Klopp or Pochettino rather than the Van Gaals, wengers, or Guardiolas of this world. Since Klopp isn't likely to be available any time soon Pochettino is our man IMO.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bumped that yesterday in another thread; I know hindsight is a bitch but that was one of the major problems with people who backed Moyes because he would be long term - the fact that in 10 years at Everton he never showed he could manage one of the world's biggest clubs.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Bumped that yesterday in another thread; I know hindsight is a bitch but that was one of the major problems with people who backed Moyes because he would be long term - the fact that in 10 years at Everton he never showed he could manage one of the world's biggest clubs.
If making Everton the biggest club in the world is the new bar then United will be without a manager for a while. I don't think Van Gaal could do that for example.

But 'long term' is the key phrase you ignore. Moyes would surely have improved things from this season given time and money. He made the mistake of thinking United had a right back, not knowing the Da Silva love of the injury room. He thought Rio and Vidic could still be relied on. These were errors learnt the hard way. But given the money I am sure he would have tried to address the problem areas. His main fault is not working quickly enough on the squad replacement, of not understanding that major squad issues had been patched over by a RVP wonder season . Not fixing the full back issues last summer was crazy, let alone the wings and central midfield. He's guilty of not understanding the squad problems hidden by a Van Persie wonder season. I guess he thought a long term contract meant long term rebuild time as well.

If the Glazer plan is to just replace the manager, and not spend the money on the big squad replacement needed, then everyone saying the squad is fine and the manager just needs to be changed will be the ones worrying about old posts being dug up in a years time...

But certainly I did not want, and still do not want, Mourinho anywhere near the club. But Van Gaal is certainly not looking so great either.

Last edited:

MoskvaRed

Staying so long at a second/third tier club should have been a red flag - a sign of someone happy in a small pond free of expectation while on big money or alternatively someone who was not wanted by the big clubs. Long-term tenure in itself is not necessarily a good thing and often leads to stagnation (Wenger, Moyes in the latter years at Everton) while change brings new ideas and regeneration. Unfortunately we drew conclusions on the basis of the one man in the modern era who was the exception to that rule (SAF).

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If making Everton the biggest club in the world is the new bar then United will be without a manager for a while. I don't think Van Gaal could do that for example.

But 'long term' is the key phrase you ignore. Moyes would surely have improved things given time and money. He made the mistake of thinking United had a right back, not knowing the Da Silva love of the injury room. He thought Rio and Vidic could still be relied on. These were errors learnt the hard way. But given the money I am sure he would have tried to address the problem areas. His main fault is not working quickly enough on the squad replacement. Not fixing he full back issues last summer was crazy, let alone the wings and central midfield. I guess he thought a long term contract meant long term rebuild time...

If the Glazer plan is to just replace the manager, and not spend the money on the big squad replacement needed, then everyone saying the squad is fine and the manager just needs to be changed will be the ones worrying about old posts being dug up in a years time...

But certainly I did not want, and still do not want, Mourinho anywhere near the club. But Van Gaal is certainly not looking so great either.
Never said he had to make Everton a top club but he could have at least won a trophy at some point during his tenure. After he took the club as far as he could (after approx 5 years) he probably should have gone abroad to enhance his skills and again he could have tried to win something. In all intents and purposes that seemed to be his plan last summer till the United job came up, it's a shame it was about 5 years too late.

Sure Moyes could have improved things with money - heck most managers would. I mean Mancini won the league with the money City gave him. But just because you are given time to rebuild doesn't mean all standards should be thrown out the window which is what has happened with Moyes. The main issue Moyes had was that he lost the players round christmas and they never really believed in him.

We will see what the Glazers plan is, one thing is for certain they could not afford to give £100m to Moyes after he had spend £70m and things got worse as the season progressed.

Mourinho and Van Gaal may not be 100% favoured by everyone but I doubt they would have brought the 'short term drama' that Moyes did.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ted-says-borussia-dortmund-coach-jurgen-klopp

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp says he has not been approached by Manchester United to fill the managerial vacancy at Old Trafford following David Moyes' sacking earlier this week.

Moyes was sacked by United on Tuesday with the Premier League champions languishing in seventh in the table, 23 points behind leaders Liverpool with just four games remaining.

Klopp had been among the favourites to replace Moyes, but speaking to journalists in Dortmund, he said he had not received an offer from United so there was nothing for him to even think about.

He said: "I really do think that Manchester United is a great club, but it is also the case that as long as things continue to go as they are here, then I have a clear agreement with Borussia Dortmund.

"Therefore it cannot have anything to do with the greatness of a team, even if there were to be an offer. And to react to this is a bit uncomfortable when there has not been an offer, so to reject it before an offer comes is personally embarrassing for me."

"I think Man Utd is great, but I am still really happy here because there are around 1,000 reasons why I really like working at this club."

Jurgen Klopp

Klopp has guided Dortmund to Bundesliga title glory twice, in addition to the Champions League final last season, during his six-year tenure as manager.

The 46-year-old insisted he remains as happy and committed as ever in his current role as the club's head coach.

He said: "I think Man Utd is great, but I am still really happy here because there are around 1,000 reasons why I really like working at this club.

"The only condition which must be filled, and it is more important than contracts, is that all of those involved have to have the feeling that I am the right coach for this team. As long as that is the case, I don't have to think about anything."
Klopp went from his relationship with Dortmund being unbreakable to there hasn't been an offer yet to reject. :lol:

b82REZ

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ted-says-borussia-dortmund-coach-jurgen-klopp

Klopp went from his relationship with Dortmund being unbreakable to there hasn't been an offer yet to reject. :lol:
I think he'd consider us if Dortmund accepted an offer for him.

I think he's too loyal to force a move.

Klopp is my choice now, but last year I believe that Mourihno was the best bet. Granted we probably wouldn't have played scintillating football, but he would have brought stability and he wouldn't have been phased by the task at hand (like Moyes clearly was).

I think the club probably are interested in Klopp, but understand his contract situation may be in insurmountable road block in any potential deal, which is why I feel there are strong rumours that LVG will be hired. He would be an adequate stop gap (3 years or so) until Klopp's contract has run down and he's looking to move/Dortmund are willing to let him try a new challenge.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I was Klopp back then too :wenger:

No Ancelotti on the list? Benitez is though I see.

Deleted member 78215

We should announce the new manager on the day Liverpool win the league. :devil:

Deleted member 78215

:(

Feck off. No such day will come. I'll be out wandering the desert or something.
Revelations: 26:14

The Whore of Babylon will emerge and Liverpool will win the Premier League for the first time. And thus the end days will have begun.

The end is nigh.

Litch

I really dont think they'd of sack DM now without having someone else lined up. For me, the deal is already done. For who, I have no idea. Its interesting though when theres discussions to be had around picking the next manager, I thought all the best managers are in employment, but like people say, its the gig that not many could turn down cause it doesn't come around very often unlike say Real's, Man City and Chelsea which feels like every other season.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I find Laudrup an intriguing option actually. I see he's listed in the poll, but haven't read much about him in the various threads.

Decorated and very successful player who had Swansea playing great football whilst working on a budget. Now whilst the latter is irrelevant, the former is very relevant. He'd command respect given his illustrious playing career. A dark horse perhaps.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Let's hope there will be an offer for Klopp
Klopp is not going to happen. Why would he spout off so much about loyalty? If he comes and that was all to gain higher compensation for Dortmund, he'd still look like a complete hypocrite. He's not that kind of person from what I can tell.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Klopp is not going to happen. Why would he spout off so much about loyalty? If he comes and that was all to gain higher compensation for Dortmund, he'd still look like a complete hypocrite. He's not that kind of person from what I can tell.
It's more wishful thinking but in case there is a slight change, I hope United tried it. At least test them. For me, Klopp is the best choice eventhough it is unlikely he will leave now

Adebesi

Would it be possible / legal / desirable / precedented to offer him a contract now beginning when his current one expires? And then have Van Gaal for the next few years, and if it doesnt work out with him muddle through with temporary appointments on short contracts?

I can see how riddled with problems this would be, Im not advocating it. But would such a thing be at least theoretically possible?