Your quartet?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It is often enough said that the ideal or Sir Alex's at any rate is to have a pool of four forwards/strikers for us to look to. And currently we have players who can boast mighty valuations indeed to their name.

I can be one for a bit of nostalgia truth be told :), and in that spirit if you could bring together and create the ultimate "striking quartet" for us in the here and now [players past and present], who would you go for?

This is not for a Starting XI but rather the squad as a whole, and must be from Fergie's reign at the club which still leaves you with 23 years and numerous candidates.

VP

Rooney, Cantona, Ruud, Cole

4 different players and all of them would've been able to play well together.

The Law of Denis

I'm tempted to go for Cole, Yorke, Ole and Teddy just for the chemistry they had but if on pure ability then

Cantona
Solskjaer
Ruud
Sheringham

ralphie88

Yorke and Cole starting up front without a doubt. They were magic - Yorke's contribution in '99 is continually underrated.

Ruud would also have to be in the 4.

And Ole on the bench. Not as good a player as Cantona or Rooney, but in terms of a super-sub there was none better.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Cantona, Ruud, Rooney, Hughes

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Dong, Manucho, Bellion and Robins

I actually think the one above is the best quartet: Cantona, Ruud, Rooney and Hughes

beardsleybob

Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Cantona, Solskjaer.

Have Nistelrooy up top with Cantona and Rooney playing off him. Ole on the bench to come on in case of emergency(not that there would be one with those 3 as forwards

Sylar

Shit this is tough. Ive changed it three times already, but im going to say:

Ole, Cantona, Ruud, Rooney.

Ekeke

Yes please.

Seems like Rooney, Cantona and Ruud is more or less a given and the debate is about who to have as the fourth.
Agreed, those are the 3 stand outs.

I chose Yorke for two reasons both to do with '99. First as has been mentioned his form that season seems to have been slightly forgotten or underrated. He was incredible next to Cole.

And the second point is, he scored shit loads of headers that season. He was unstoppable in the air. Rooney and Cantona were hardly death from above and Ruud is good in the air but I think it rounds the four off nicely to have Yorke in there.

Solskjaer was a fantastic finisher but I think you only need to choose one of Ruud and Ole.

MUFCgal

Yorke and Cole starting up front without a doubt. They were magic - Yorke's contribution in '99 is continually underrated.

Ruud would also have to be in the 4.

And Ole on the bench. Not as good a player as Cantona or Rooney, but in terms of a super-sub there was none better.
Not much wrong in that ralphie. The memories of Cole & Yorkie in 98/99 are just magical, they really tore teams apart. It was almost like they were telepathic in the way they played together. Yes, you couldn't leave out Ruud, the best goalscorer I've saw in my time of supporting the club. I'd probably go for Cantona as the fourth. It's hard to leave out the likes of Ole & Rooney but when you've had so many great players, that's a nice problem to have I suppose.

ralphie88

Dong, Manucho, Bellion and Robins

I actually think the one above is the best quartet: Cantona, Ruud, Rooney and Hughes
There was nowt wrong with Robins.

And you appear to have missed out our best strike force in the club's history. :nono:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There was nowt wrong with Robins.

And you appear to have missed out our best strike force in the club's history. :nono:
Ye - probably a bit unfair of me to lump Robins with someone like Dong but i wanst thinking too much about the piss take one!

Cole and Yorke are the best partnership we have had upfront but if I had to choose 4 individuals then I would go for the 4 I have chosen as they each offer something different

Cantona (top United player I have ever seen) and RvN (most deadly finisher under Fergie) are dead certs for me - then a difficult decision to pick 2 more from Rooney, Hughes, Yorke and Cole.
Sherringham and Ole have been mentioned a few times but not up there with the rest of them in my opinion.

ralphie88

Ye - probably a bit unfair of me to lump Robins with someone like Dong but i wanst thinking too much about the piss take one!

Cole and Yorke are the best partnership we have had upfront but if I had to choose 4 individuals then I would go for the 4 I have chosen as they each offer something different

Cantona (top United player I have ever seen) and RvN (most deadly finisher under Fergie) are dead certs for me - then a difficult decision to pick 2 more from Rooney, Hughes, Yorke and Cole.
Sherringham and Ole have been mentioned a few times but not up there with the rest of them in my opinion.
Yeah, I don't know why Sheringham is being mentioned so much - he got a lot of stick at the time for not being good enough. Ole -well a different matter, he was a wonderful sub, but always flattered to deceive when started I thought.

But in Rooney and Hughes, you've pick two strikers who had a tendancy to go through real goal droughts.

And as for Cantona - I loved him, but the bottom line was that when push came to shove in Europe he wasn't good enough (e.g. those games against Dortmund).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not much wrong in that ralphie. The memories of Cole & Yorkie in 98/99 are just magical, they really tore teams apart. It was almost like they were telepathic in the way they played together. Yes, you couldn't leave out Ruud, the best goalscorer I've saw in my time of supporting the club. I'd probably go for Cantona as the fourth. It's hard to leave out the likes of Ole & Rooney but when you've had so many great players, that's a nice problem to have I suppose.
I have never really thought about it but out list of front players since the glory SAF era is amazing:

McClair, Hughes, Cantona, Cole, OGS, Yorke, Sheringham, RvN, Rooney, (Forlan), Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov.

wow, we have been so lucky!

Mannheim Red

Yeah, I don't know why Sheringham is being mentioned so much - he got a lot of stick at the time for not being good enough. Ole -well a different matter, he was a wonderful sub, but always flattered to deceive when started I thought.

But in Rooney and Hughes, you've pick two strikers who had a tendancy to go through real goal droughts.

And as for Cantona - I loved him, but the bottom line was that when push came to shove in Europe he wasn't good enough (e.g. those games against Dortmund).
At last someone who has watched United long enough to know when someone is overrated. Cantona was brilliant at League level but more often than not could not cut it in Europe.He went missing too often.
Can anyone can name me 3 BIG European opponants where he delivered when it mattered? Me thinks not.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Didn't absorb the Cantona experience like many others growing up... I appreciated watching him play no question, but he never caught me like the four I named.
I thought we were choosing the four best players, not the one's who you 'caught you'?