Your quartet?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ralphie is right. You cannot not have the Yorke & Cole pairing starting.

Toss up for the other two positions. I'd take Rooney and a fit Saha.

Ole'sbodyguard

At last someone who has watched United long enough to know when someone is overrated. Cantona was brilliant at League level but more often than not could not cut it in Europe.He went missing too often.
Can anyone can name me 3 BIG European opponants where he delivered when it mattered? Me thinks not.
It did not help Eric played for United when the foreigner rule really affected United and if you look at our progress game by game, I would hardly say Eric was the underlying reason the 94 side failed in Europe. In 93/94 we got knocked out by Galatasaray on the basis of conceding 3 soft goals at home. Eric actually saved us a defeat with a late equaliser. Was that his fault, that the likes of Lee Martin, who got a game due to the foreigner rule, could not hack Europe?

We then could not score away at Galatasaray on a night when no one performed. Again was that his fault? The only thing I can fault Cantona for that night was his sending off after the final whistle but if the provacation from the fans and players was to be believed I can understand why he lost it with the ref.

Eric hardly played in the group stages knockout phases in 94/95 as he had a four match ban. Can't really see how this can be used to knock him, especially when the likes of himself and Schmeichel were in the stands watching us lose 4-0 against Barca and Ince was getting sent off against Gothenburg(the real crunch game) and our defence were leaking soft goals and tossing away a possible draw to a 3-1 defeat.

Then you got to 96/97 when we got to the semi finals and which was his poorest season as a player leading to his retirment but arguably his best in the CL as he actually had a long run in the side in the competition. Eric played well enough in some of these games including being outstanding at home against Porto. He did not deliver against Dortmund but then I don't think anyone did in front of goal and plenty of players missed chances that night. Dortmund, Fener(another night when everyone was shite) and Juve away are the only really big games in Europe when you can justly say he did not perform and in these games he was close to retirement.

BTW - I reckon you can exclude Cole and Yorke from your choice if you are going on longevity because I reckon it is arguable that Eric, Rooney, Hughes and Ruud were better players. Harder in Cole's case as he had a very good United career and I considered him for the fourth spot over Hughes. Yorke's inclusion is basically based on how excellent he was treble year and a good season afterwards. It merits consideration but there are sound reasons to choose the others.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It did not help Eric played for United when the foreigner rule really affected United and if you look at our progress game by game, I would hardly say Eric was the underlying reason the 94 side failed in Europe. In 93/94 we got knocked out by Galatasaray on the basis of conceding 3 soft goals at home. Eric actually saved us a defeat with a late equaliser. Was that his fault, that the likes of Lee Martin, who got a game due to the foreigner rule, could not hack Europe?

We then could not score away at Galatasaray on a night when no one performed. Again was that his fault? The only thing I can fault Cantona for that night was his sending off after the final whistle but if the provacation from the fans and players was to be believed I can understand why he lost it with the ref.

Eric hardly played in the group stages knockout phases in 94/95 as he had a four match ban. Can't really see how this can be used to knock him, especially when the likes of himself and Schmeichel were in the stands watching us lose 4-0 against Barca and Ince was getting sent off against Gothenburg(the real crunch game) and our defence were leaking soft goals and tossing away a possible draw to a 3-1 defeat.

Then you got to 96/97 when we got to the semi finals and which was his poorest season as a player leading to his retirment but arguably his best in the CL as he actually had a long run in the side in the competition. Eric played well enough in some of these games including being outstanding at home against Porto. He did not deliver against Dortmund but then I don't think anyone did in front of goal and plenty of players missed chances that night. Dortmund, Fener(another night when everyone was shite) and Juve away are the only really big games in Europe when you can justly say he did not perform and in these games he was close to retirement.

BTW - I reckon you can exclude Cole and Yorke from your choice if you are going on longevity because I reckon it is arguable that Eric, Rooney, Hughes and Ruud were better players. Harder in Cole's case as he had a very good United career and I considered him for the fourth spot over Hughes. Yorke's inclusion is basically based on how excellent he was treble year and a good season afterwards. It merits consideration but there are sound reasons to choose the others.
You're adding conjecture here, but the fact is, that together, to the two of them devestated Europe and were the best strikeforce on the planet.. that being at a time of some awesome pairings as well.

Equally, I could pick and chose between the rest mentioned and say this or that wouldn't work outside of such and such a timeframe. It adds too many variables to a fairly simplistic question.

I'd pick the four I did because of the speed and style of the football they played between themselves and the intricacy and intuitive way in which they combined. Feck the conjecture is what I'd say.

Barry Red

Interesting idea.... I am thinking in terms of a foursome that could be rotated throughout a long season, and I am excluding George Best and Cristiano Ronaldo as they are midfield players, so I like most people I have gone for Cantona, Rooney and Van Nistelrooy. There you have two 'out of the box' strikers and one poacher so to even things up I will put Denis Law in as the fourth striker. In his day lightning quick, deadly accurate, good in the air and took few prisoners. Whilst the game has changed greatly in midfield terms, there's not much that's changed inside the six yard area so I think a style like Denis' would fit in well in this foursome.

Barry Red

Interesting idea.... I am thinking in terms of a foursome that could be rotated throughout a long season, and I am excluding George Best and Cristiano Ronaldo as they are midfield players, so I like most people I have gone for Cantona, Rooney and Van Nistelrooy. There you have two 'out of the box' strikers and one poacher so to even things up I will put Denis Law in as the fourth striker. In his day lightning quick, deadly accurate, good in the air and took few prisoners. Whilst the game has changed greatly in midfield terms, there's not much that's changed inside the six yard area so I think a style like Denis' would fit in well in this foursome.