g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Your Starting XI until Jan'15

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Mods if we have one of these already then please combine?

I see so many discussions about formations and starting line-ups but they all include players we've not even signed yet; as the squad stands now who would start for you and in what formation?

As I see it we have to drop at least one big name or new signing to the bench in order to balance the team.

-----------------De Gae-----------------
---Rafael ---Jones---Rojo-----Shaw----
------------------Blind------------------
--------Herrera------------Di Maria------
------------------Mata------------------
--------Falcao-------------Rooney------

So, no place for RVP, but I could see Rooney going into No 10 with Mata being dropped and RVP back in again, but for me Mata is just a more natural no 10.
Subs: RVP, Valencia, Smalling, Evans, Januzaj, Young, Anderson, Blackett
Carrick and Fellani when fit would start on the bench

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Surely it all depends on form? If Rooney isn't scoring then RVP should play. Similarly, if Rojo/Blind is finding it difficult to adjust to the PL then Smalling/Carrick should come in. Ultimately, the best and most in-form player should be being picked... right now, we don't know who that will be.

Also, it might vary depending on opponent... would you start the same XI against City away then you would QPR at home?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surely it all depends on form? If Rooney isn't scoring then RVP should play. Similarly, if Rojo/Blind is finding it difficult to adjust to the PL then Smalling/Carrick should come in. Ultimately, the best and most in-form player should be being picked... right now, we don't know who that will be.

Also, it might vary depending on opponent... would you start the same XI against City away then you would QPR at home?
This. We haven't had a set first 11 in years. With Mata, Rooney, Januzaj, Di Maria, Van Persie and Falcao all fighting for 4 spots rotation is going to come into it.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?

No, agreed but assume our very next home match against QPR?

badkins

Given our injury record and attacking options - there won't by any first 11.
Falcao and di Maria are our best players though, hence they should start every game.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Maybe not having a settles first XI is a bit of a problem? If City or Chelsea were playing a title decider tomorrow you could name 9/10 of their starting 11.

For me our starting 11 should be strong enough to take on any team in the league, meaning we shouldn't have to go 'defensive' against City. Try to impose our game on them. The same players should start, maybe with a slight tactical shift.

Renegade81

Judging by Woodwards recent comments i wouldnt hold your breath for any signifigant additions in january. My guess is we start playing sexy football again then go on a good run, and everyone will be saying we dont need addition. I am of the belief we need to field our strongest 11 and stick to it, injuries permitted.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd be thinking along the lines of:

DDG
Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
Carrick
Herrera--------Di Maria
Mata
Rooney - Falcao

Depending on form you could swap any in form CB in for Jones, Blind for Carrick or RvP for one of the front two. I'd keep Di Maria in midfield (where he's at his best) and keep Mata as my first choice for the spot behind the strikers.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I'd be thinking along the lines of:

DDG
Carrick
Herrera--------Di Maria
Mata
Rooney - Falcao

Depending on form you could swap any in form CB in for Jones, Blind for Carrick or RvP for one of the front two. I'd keep Di Maria in midfield (where he's at his best) and keep Mata as my first choice for the spot behind the strikers.
I agree with that, except I am very unsure if Rojo is going to be good enough. Would give him a run though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I agree with that, except I am very unsure if Rojo is going to be good enough. Would give him a run though.
Agreed, he's probably the signing I have the most doubts over (in the short term at least). Still, LVG seems to want a left footed CB in that role and, given how poor our defence has looked thus far, I'm happy to give Rojo a chance straight away.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
This, but with Jones in place of Smalling:

If the midfield looks solid then hopefully get in two wingers (or a midfielder and winger) next summer.
And a first choice right back if Rafael's still not fit half the time.

Parry Gallister

-De Gea

Shaw - Rojo - Smalling - Rafael

Blind/Carrick

Herrera - Fellaini/? - Di Maria

Mata

RVP/Falcao

RedFish

-------------De Gea------------------------

------Rafael --- Rojo---- Shaw---------------------

Januzaj --Herrera --- Blind-----Di Maria

---------------Mata--------------------------------

--------Rooney ----Falcao----------------------

Don't think LvG will switch to a back 4, so assuming a 3-5-2/3 -4-3, this would be my starting XI

Last edited:

Hed Zitin

-----------------de Gea-----------------
---Rafael----Jones---Rojo-----Shaw---
------Herrera----Blind----Rooney------
-----Januzaj----Falcao----Di Maria-----

Glanville95

It all depends on form, injuries and how new players adapt. What I will say, is there is probably a core squad of fifteen or so players who will, in theory, all be pushing for a starting berth IMO. Those are; de Gea, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Carrick, Herrera, di Maria, Mata, Januzaj, Rooney, van Persie and Falcao.

Certain positions are nailed on, injuries permitting, such as the goalkeeper, right back, left back, right central midfield and left central midfield - in my 4-3-1-2 - but the rest of the positions are up for grabs.

In this current time, I would advocate this side:

de Gea
Rafael - Smalling/Jones - Rojo - Shaw
Blind/Carrick
Herrera - di Maria
Mata/Januzaj
Falcao - Rooney/van Persie​

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
-----------------de Gea-----------------
---Rafael----Jones---Rojo-----Shaw---
------Herrera----Blind----Rooney------
-----Januzaj----Falcao----Di Maria-----
Swap Rooney and Di Maria, and that's what I've gone for.
Why Rooney in midfield?

Kag

De Gea
Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
Blind
Herrera Mata
Di Maria Falcao Rooney

Ideally the players between Falcao and Blind can all rotate and play with some modicum of freedom. I also like the idea of getting Januzaj in there at the expense of either Rooney or Mata. That is a very balanced, adaptable team either way.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
This. We haven't had a set first 11 in years. With Mata, Rooney, Januzaj, Di Maria, Van Persie and Falcao all fighting for 4 spots rotation is going to come into it.
Normally, I'd agree with you but we've been in CL those years. Given our lack of Europe and Cup matches, I'm not sure how much rotation will come into play. Think LVG needs to quickly identify our best XI and stick with it.

2 man midfield

Normally, I'd agree with you but we've been in CL for those past 11 years. Given our lack of Europe and Cup matches, I'm not sure how much rotation will come into play. Think LVG needs to quickly identify our best XI and stick with it.
Assuming Rooney is an ever-present due to being captain, by that method there's only one or two spots for Falcao, Van Persie, Mata, Januzaj and Di Maria. I can't see us not rotating.

Sam

Picking a team on paper, regardless of form and fitness, I'd love to see....

-----------------De Gea-----------------
--------Falcao-------------RVP----------

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What happens on January the 15th? Can my team play until January the 17th?

Man of Leisure

Assuming Rooney is an ever-present due to being captain, by that method there's only one or two spots for Falcao, Van Persie, Mata, Januzaj and Di Maria. I can't see us not rotating.
Agree it's not ideal, but that's the reality of our current predicament. We don't have enough games to go around for everyone. LVG might have painted himself into a corner by selecting Rooney as captain and making that statement about captains always starting. At the end of the day, we're going to have star players who've never sat on the bench finding themselves there. Whether that's RVP, Rooney, or Falcao who knows. I think di Maria is the only one out of the players you've named who's not in any danger of losing his spot. Also, the more I think about it, I'm slowly coming around to the idea that LVG will sacrifice a #10 in his ideal setup, given our plethora of strikers to choose from.

Mister Ed

As many on here have said, I don't think we'll really have a starting XI, with all our injurries and some serious competition for certain places, alot of players will go in and out of the team I think.

But if everybody is fit this would be my starting XI and preffered bench

-------------DDG--------------
-----Jones----------Rojo-------
Rafael-------Blind----------Shaw
------Herrera----Di Maria------
------------Mata------------
------Rooney----Falcao------

Bench: RVP, Januzaj, Fellaini, Carrick, Young, Smalling, Lindegaard

Zoo

De Gea
:wenger:
Herrera--------Di Maria
Rooney
Falcao - Van Persie​

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Picking a team on paper, regardless of form and fitness, I'd love to see....

-----------------De Gea-----------------
--------Falcao-------------RVP----------
Yeah, that would be my preferred team too if everyone was fit and in form.

Mersault

Will never happen of course, Overlord Rooney can't be dropped.
Seconded. Depending on our strikers' form. Maybe Van Persie, maybe Rooney. Falcao will still need to adapt and he's coming back from a major injury. But otherwise, agree with the formation and using players in their correct positions. Oh, and I'd swap Smalling for Jones.

United22

4-3-3:

-------------------------DDG------------------------
Rafael-------Jones/Smalling-----Rojo-----------Shaw
----------------------Blind-------------------------------
-----------------Herrera-----Mata----------------------
Di Maria--------------------------------------Januzaj--
-----------------------Falcao-------------------------------

Benching Rooney and RvP.

Putting Januzaj in there isn't the best idea but I can't see us succeeding with a line-up with any more than 2 of RvP, Falcao, Mata, and Rooney. There just isn't enough movement and pace there, or ability to beat a man. Ideally I wanted us to keep Welbeck and play him on the left with Di Maria on the right (both flanking the lone striker Falcao). Almost all of the top teams in the the league or in Europe have two or more pacy attackers in their starting XI's.

2 man midfield

Agree it's not ideal, but that's the reality of our current predicament. We don't have enough games to go around for everyone. LVG might have painted himself into a corner by selecting Rooney as captain and making that statement about captains always starting. At the end of the day, we're going to have star players who've never sat on the bench finding themselves there. Whether that's RVP, Rooney, or Falcao who knows. I think di Maria is the only one out of the players you've named who's not in any danger of losing his spot. Also, the more I think about it, I'm slowly coming around to the idea that LVG will sacrifice a #10 in his ideal setup, given our plethora of strikers to choose from.
Unless we rotate.

Man of Leisure

Unless we rotate.
Isn't the main purpose of rotation to keep squad players in form while simultaneously giving others a rest now and then? Just don't see the need for it as compared to past seasons, given our lightened schedule of playing once a week. Not saying that LVG shouldn't experiment until he finds his best XI or change his selections based on tactics (our opponents).

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We should use the lololololololo smilie for Falcao too...

2 man midfield

Isn't the main purpose of rotation to keep squad players in form while simultaneously giving others a rest now and then? Just don't see the need for it as compared to past seasons, given our lightened schedule of playing once a week. Not saying that LVG shouldn't experiment until he finds his best XI or change his selections based on tactics (our opponents).
We might have less games but our injuries will still be up there with the worst in the league i'll bet. I said at the end of last season that no europe could mean we get some consistency and momentum ala Liverpool last season, but then we went and signed two world class forwards to help solve our Rooney-Mata-Van Persie conundrum. In an ideal world, we get no injuries, Falcao and Mata play together every saturday and Rooney and co. are happy warming the bench, but it's just not going to happen.