g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Your Starting XI until Jan'15

ghagua

Assuming that everyone is fit and Rooney is untouchable, this is the lineup i would love to see. LvG gets to play his 2 strikers, but he has no excuse to play that 5-2-1-2 shite. Blind will be the main defensive player in midfield, Di Maria and Herrera are very mobile and will be able to cover midfield and help in attack.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Given our injury record and attacking options - there won't by any first 11.
Falcao and di Maria are our best players though, hence they should start every game.
Yep, for the money and wages these two are on they are the first 2 names on the teamsheet.
Rooney is captain, so he'll play for certain too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Assuming that everyone is fit and Rooney is untouchable, this is the lineup i would love to see. LvG gets to play his 2 strikers, but he has no excuse to play that 5-2-1-2 shite. Blind will be the main defensive player in midfield, Di Maria and Herrera are very mobile and will be able to cover midfield and help in attack.

This has to be the lineup, with the choice next to Rojo open between the other centre backs too.

Di Maria gets to play where he excelled last year. Herrera can get forward too, both of them have Blind as security.

A fair few questions though, how will width work out? Full backs will have to do a lot of back and forward work, and sync well with Di Maria and Herrera.

The idea of Falcao, Van Persie and Rooney is outrageous, and you have to wonder whether we'd have the ball to play those 3 against the big teams. At least Rooney would give more defensively than Mata though.

Sheldon69

1 DDG
2 rafa
3 shaw
4 jones
5 rojo
6 carrick
7 di Maria
8 Herrera
9 falcao
10 rooney
11 rvp

SteveW

-----------------De Gea------------------
---Rafael --Jones---Smalling---Shaw-
------------------Blind-------------------
----------Herrera-----------Di Maria---
--Januzaj-----------Rooney------------
-----------------Falcao------------------

There's no point in trying to force all our best strikers onto the pitch. They will occupy the same spaces and not provide adequate width in attacking areas. We've seen this so far in LVGs attempts to play Mata, Rooney, and RVP together. No width, no pace, no penetration, no threat.

The above is ideal.
- Two quality full backs playing in their rightful positions.
- Blind giving the CBs the protection they need.
- Di Maria playing the left midfield role he mastered in Madrid, providing drive in midfield and also drifting wide to provide width supported by Shaw.
- Januzaj providing width on the right, both supported by Rafael
- Rooney/Mata in the hole where he can drift and influence the game
- Falcao exactly where we want him.

Overall:
- Solid defensively
- All Players playing in their best positions and in a system they know and understand
- Good width going forward and protecting the full backs
- Pace all through the side

Sheldon69

The 4123.
I would go with the diamond . Back 4 (rafa jones rojo shaw) diamond consisting of carrick (holding) Herrera and di Maria (right and left) and rooney at the tip with falcao and rvp up top . No place for mata .

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.

Diamond and Di Maria has license to drift left to put in crosses. I'd bench Rooney over an in form rap and falcao, and I think Mata is our best creator. Rafael has license to get forward a lot and shaw has some as well, but plays similarly to Abidal in his Barca days.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really don't understand the logic behind picking a front three of Rooney/Falcao/RvP. Picking three players who are at their best as #9s instead of picking the one player we have who is top quality operating in that role behind the strikers. Mata clearly offers more balance in attack, no?

Annahnomoss

I think the main issues right now are;
1. The three front players does too little defensively, so even if our formation is defensive we don't have a world-class defense. 95% of our ball wins are made by the 5 defenders, as low down the pitch as possible.

2. We lack any width offensively what so ever.

3. The distance between our defense and strikers in the defense is too big. So when we win back the ball the pass forward is too difficult.

It also means that when that pass is successful, the forwards has no wing-backs bombing up besides them as when we won the ball back the wing-backs were by the corner flag and the strikers at the half line.

I think that if we defend in a 3-4-3(and only use a 3-4-1-2 in the offense) we could defend much tighter and the wing back/side midfield position would have a lot more support. That way we could play Januzaj out wide without his poor defense being a huge negative, and he'd still have a chance to develop his defensive side which can improve dramatically.

Offensively it would make things a lot easier as when our two strikers makes their forward runs - Januzaj and Di Maria will practically be level with them on the outside - allowing for a great counter-attack in comparison to having two strikers and Mata alone achieving nothing.

This way Shaw, Januzaj and Rafael would all get game time in a challenging position, which would improve their ability in a 4-2-3-1 in the future.

C'est Moi Cantona

Like it other than Smalling, would put Jones, and Evans before him, bench would strong too, pahh and people say we'll struggle to get top four!

SteveW

I think the main issues right now are;
1. The three front players does too little defensively, so even if our formation is defensive we don't have a world-class defense. 95% of our ball wins are made by the 5 defenders, as low down the pitch as possible.

2. We lack any width offensively what so ever.

3. The distance between our defense and strikers in the defense is too big. So when we win back the ball the pass forward is too difficult.

It also means that when that pass is successful, the forwards has no wing-backs bombing up besides them as when we won the ball back the wing-backs were by the corner flag and the strikers at the half line.

I think that if we defend in a 3-4-3(and only use a 3-4-1-2 in the offense) we could defend much tighter and the wing back/side midfield position would have a lot more support. That way we could play Januzaj out wide without his poor defense being a huge negative, and he'd still have a chance to develop his defensive side which can improve dramatically.

Offensively it would make things a lot easier as when our two strikers makes their forward runs - Januzaj and Di Maria will practically be level with them on the outside - allowing for a great counter-attack in comparison to having two strikers and Mata alone achieving nothing.

This way Shaw, Januzaj and Rafael would all get game time in a challenging position, which would improve their ability in a 4-2-3-1 in the future.

This solves all those problems while playing everyone in their very best position

-----------------De Gea------------------
---Rafael --Jones---Smalling---Shaw-
------------------Blind-------------------
----------Herrera-----------Di Maria---
--Januzaj-----------Rooney------------
-----------------Falcao------------------

jesperjaap

De Gea
Smalling Jones Rojo

Valencia Herrera Di Maria Januzaj
Rooney
Falcao RVP

Nobody has done a 3-5-2 from what I can see. This is avout as attacking with balance as I think we can get and very reliant on the wing backs workign there socks off up and down and the midfield three being very disciplined and developign an understanding of who goes where when, certainly has goals in it though

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
----------------De Gea-----------------
---Rafael ---Jones---Rojo-----Shaw----
----------------Carrick(Blind)------------------
---Januzaj(Herrera)------------Di Maria------
------------- Rooney(Mata)------------------
--------Falcao-------------RVP------

Our team now though and what we can do with it is just :houllier: we laugh at the likes of Young/Felliani/Valencia but they are still great bench options for any top side.

ghagua

This has to be the lineup, with the choice next to Rojo open between the other centre backs too.

Di Maria gets to play where he excelled last year. Herrera can get forward too, both of them have Blind as security.

A fair few questions though, how will width work out? Full backs will have to do a lot of back and forward work, and sync well with Di Maria and Herrera.

The idea of Falcao, Van Persie and Rooney is outrageous, and you have to wonder whether we'd have the ball to play those 3 against the big teams. At least Rooney would give more defensively than Mata though.
I always prefer to have a solid midfield which can dominate possession. This helps the attack and also reduces the pressure on the defense when you have a lot of possession. In this system, the fullbacks are going to be doing the regular fullback job, getting forward to provide support, pick and choose when to attack, and when to hold back. The width will have to be provided by Di Maria, Herrera with Falcao and RvP pulling slightly wide, similar to what Liverpool did when they had Suarez and Sturridge starting. With this current 5-2-1-2, our fullbacks unfortunately are being asked to provide service to our strikers which clearly is not working.

Rooney would not be my first choice as the #10 because he seems to have teflon coating on his boots the last couple of years, his short passing seems out of whack as well, but he is untouchable right now and offers a little bit more than Mata when we do not have the ball.

ghagua

Like it other than Smalling, would put Jones, and Evans before him, bench would strong too, pahh and people say we'll struggle to get top four!
I actually prefer Smalling to Evans and Jones. Something is not quite right with Evans, he just seems to be out of it for some reason. Jones is still too rash, and his positioning is questionable.

I don't like our choices at right back either, Rafael is fragile and still makes stupid tackles, but i don't want to see Valencia in the starting lineup. I actually think Valencia is ahead of Rafael if they are both fit. In the first game of pre-season, LvG chose Valencia ahead of a fully fit Rafael.

As for making the top 4, if LvG continues with his current formation, i firmly believe we will miss out on the top 4. We are simply not creating enough chances for the strikers to score. If LvG waits too long, the top 4 will be out of sight by the time he makes a formation change.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
De Gea

Rafael
Jones
Evans (he needs to regain form fast though)
Shaw

Carrick
Herrera

Di maria
Rooney
Mata

Falcao

Given Rooney and mata's defensive frailties I think this could be a 4-3-3 without the ball with di maria on the left the CMs and Rooney and mata out wide. Wingers tracking back is less important in that formation than 4-2-3-1 for obvious reasons. As we all know, Di maria can easily break into the wide channels when we get the ball back and let mata or Rooney come into the middle so it would be quite a fluid system. I just hope we get rid of the 5 at the back to be honest!

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
DDG

Rafael--Smalling--Rojo--Shaw

Januzaj--Herrera--Blind--Di Maria

Rooney--Falcao​
Think we've got a winner. While Smalling is comfortably worse on the ball than both Jones and Evans, his defensive prowess and pace edge it for me.

lalloyd

---------------De Gea--------------
Rafael--Jones---Rojo---Shaw
-------------Blind----Herrera-------
-------------------Mata--------------
Januzaj--------Falcao----------Di maria

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
My heart says feck it and just go all out attack

-------------------De Gea-----------------
-------Jones------Rojo----------Shaw----
Januzaj-----Carrick------Herrera----Di Maria
-------------------Rooney---------------------
----------Falcao-------------RVP-------------

My Head says

----------------De Gea------------------
Rafael----Jones--------Rojo------Shaw
----------------Blind---------------------
---------Herrera-------Di Maria---------
----------------Mata---------------------
---------Falcao--------Rooney-----------

Aren86

----------------De Gea-----------------
---Rafael ---Evans---Rojo-----Shaw----
----------------Blind----------------
-----Herrera------------Carrick------
-------------- Di Maria------------------
--------Falcao-------------RVP------

Leaves wonderful options on the bench if players arent performing.

Think its crucial we play Herrera and Carrick to maintain position and blind to act as a cover for the defence. Also Di Maria simply offers more in terms of pace and influence than Mata so id opt for him there. Rooney would fall behind Mata in the hole pecking order.

As for up top, I still believe RVP is our best striker and we shouldn't write him off so soon. Falcao in terms of his predator instincts may well take that top spot. Rooney again to come in should either of these not perform.

I worry slightly for Januzaj but really hope his given 25/30 minutes per game to have a influence this season, and starts against weaker opposition. It will build him up for a starting spot next season if all goes well.

Walters_19_MuFc

What I would play:​

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Shaw
Januzaj - Herrera - Carrick - Di Maria
Rooney
Falcao

OR

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Shaw
Carrick
Herrera - Di Maria
Rooney
Van Persie - Falcao

What I think Van Gaal will play:

De Gea
Jones - Evans - Rojo
Blind
Valencia - Herrera - Di Maria - Shaw
Falcao - Rooney

Trizy

De Gea

Rafael---Jones---Rojo---Shaw

Herrera----Blind----Rooney

Januzaj------Falcao------Di Maria

The defense is made up of two brilliant attacking fullbacks with a great work rate the get back the field. The pairing CBs are a balance of ball playing in Rojo and pure power in Jones. Rojo's left foot add that bit of extra advantage on the left side of the two.

The midfield is made up of a holding midfielder to protect the back four, win the ball and recycle it (Blind) and two hard working, hard tackling, defensive as well as creative, Herrera and Rooney's work rate speak for itself but the beauty of the two of them in midfield is you get a vast variety of passing from short burst a move, through balls, long balls and long diagonal or to the wings. Both offer defensive, creative with a bit of power and pace, the perfect balance.

The attack is made up of pace, creativity, power and aerial threat. The pace from the wide players who are well able to beat defenders and swing in a ball or run it alone and both with an eye for a killer pass. With Rooney and Herrera coming more central as the full backs push up it gives the wingers a plan B to stick the ball to the outside of the 18 yard to have a shot. Falcao doesn't add much to the all round game but he's there for one reason and he will thrive.

The formation can easily be changed to a 4231 with the same XI, you could even make it more attack with the addition of Mata or make it more defensive with the addition of Carrick. Also if its not working for the striker a change for Mata or RVP is just a second away.

NoPace

I think I'd start with this:

------Falcao/VanPersie-----------
-------------Rooney------Mata---
---Di Maria-----Herrera---------
---------Blind/Carrick-------------
Shaw-----------------------Rafael
--------Rojo-------Jones--------
--------------De Gea-------------

because right now we're not generating enough chances or playing decent football, and this lineup gives us width and good technical play. One of the strikers comes on at the hour mark for the other up front, and if Rooney looks poor there as he often does, Mata plays instead of him as the 10 with Januzaj coming on out right.

The more I look around (and I know this isn't the thread for it) the less sense it makes that we didn't just use the Falcao money and the Rojo money on securing Benatia, or using the Falcao money and the Blind money on a proper, dominant CM to play in front of the D, though no name jumps out there aside from Vidal, and maybe there are serious knee issues. Rooney and Van Persie are excellent up front but questionable elsewhere (though Rooney will still score a bunch as the 10).

Anyways, I'm pretty set on DiMaria-Herrera-Mata in front of one of Blind or Carrick, then I think things are completely up in the air. Any 2 of Rooney/Falcao/VanPersie/Januzaj are worth using until we figure out what works and if we need width (Januzaj) or if one of Rooney or Falcao can be dangerous from a wider position, or if they can just play as strikers and be dangerous in more of a diamond.

But the important thing is that we start passing and moving.

red_devil83

------------DDG---------------
Rafa--Jones--Blackett--Shaw
-------Herrera--Blind---------
-----------Rooney------------
-Di Maria---RVP---Januzaj---

birdy2121

I think it will depend on the opposition we are playing. If we are playing at home against a team that will come and sit then the more skill full players who can create would be needed. Likewise if we are playing away where we will be counter attacking more then speed on the break would be a factor.

SAF used to rotate big ego's very well with clear communication of the bigger picture surrounding the fixture list. I hope LVG does likewise and we get the best out of all the players as they will be fresh going into games due to adequate rest periods.

To highlight my point about differing teams for games here are 2 examples:

Leicester city at home:

------------DDH----------------
Rafa---Rojo---Jones--shaw/blind
Januz--mata-Herrera-Di Maria
---------RVP----Falcao----

Chelsea away:

----------------DDH------------------
--------Jones----Rojo--Blind-------
Valencia------------------------Shaw--
-----Rooney--Herrera-Di Maria
---- ------RVP-----Falcao----

*Rooney to have a free role offensively but without to track back and defend as we know he can.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
All these teams with Rafael - don't get too disappointed when Van Gaal stays with Valencia in a 3-5-2.
Rafael is certainly a caf favorite and much more suited to the wingback role, but somehow Valencia seems to be higher in the pecking order. Don't get that at all.

Valencia apart from Nani, is the most frustrating player to watch.

tom porter

Picking a team on paper, regardless of form and fitness, I'd love to see....

-----------------De Gea-----------------
---Rafael ---Jones---Rojo-----Shaw----
------------------Blind------------------
--------Herrera------------Di Maria------
------------------Mata------------------
--------Falcao-------------RVP----------
I'd like to see this lineup except Adnan for Mata.

gza the genius

My preferred lineup right now:

DDG
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Herrera Blind
Januzaj Mata Di Maria
Falcao

I wouldn't mind seeing two strikers but I really just don't want Rooney in as the attacking mid, I don't think he offers near enough creativity.

DDG
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Herrera Blind Di Maria
Mata
Falcao Rooney

This seems like a more likely lineup, though I have a feeling Mata will get dropped for Rooney and RvP will play up top. I really just don't see that working out very well for us.

JSMHE

--------- DDG --------
Rafael DEF DEF Shaw
--------- Blind --------
-- Herrera Di Maria --
--------- Mata --------
- Rooney RVP/Falcao -

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
In a big game I would want a 4-3-3 with Carrick, Blind and Herrera forming a very strong capable midfield, with Rooney playing from the left, Di Maria right and Falcao through the middle. I'd be confident going anywhere with that. Mata and RVP would have to hit the pine though, but decisions like that are LvG's bread and butter.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Funny that we have problems fitting in Rooney and RVP together over last 2 years, now we have to fit in Falcao as well, and playing all three of them together.

Sam

------------------Blind------------------
--------Herrera------------Di Maria------
------------------Mata------------------
--------Falcao-------------RVP----------
Pretty much that, and oh my it was beautiful :drool: