tentan

Poor man's poster.
-------------------------Neuer
Lahm------Ramos-----Chiellini-------Marcelo
-----------------------Busquets---------------------------
-------------Xavi--------------------------Iniesta-------
Messi------------------Aguero--------------Ronaldo

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Seriously, @tentan? Not a single United player? On Caf? :) Now, that is brave...

NewGlory

Buffon
Dani Alves – Rio Ferdinand – VVD – Evra
Busquets
Xavi – Iniesta
Messi – Rooney – Ronaldo​

NewGlory

No one stands out from United, in this decade anyway
Really?! Aguero isn't good enough to shine the shoes of Rooney. And I would take Rio Ferdinand over that a-hole Ramos, or Evra over Marcelo, any day of the week.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Ederson
Walker, Kompany, Laporte, Delph
De Bruyne, Fernandinho, D. Silva
Sterling, Aguero, Sané.

;)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Really?! Aguero isn't good enough to shine the shoes of Rooney. And I would take Rio Ferdinand over that a-hole Ramos, or Evra over Marcelo, any day of the week.
Evra post 2012 is nowhere near the level of Marcelo's performances during the whole decade. Embarrassing comparison. Likewise Rooney compared to Aguero.

NewGlory

Evra post 2012 is nowhere near the level of Marcelo's performances during the whole decade. Embarrassing comparison. Likewise Rooney compared to Aguero.
Now, now. Depends how you measure the performance in a decade. Very few footballers play their top form for 10 years. That wasn't my criteria. I would take top-form Evra over top-form Marcelo. And we are on the United forum, so I am allowed to be biased.

Same for Rooney. I mean, Rooney pretty much retired 5 years ago, but overall he's a way bigger player than Aguero ever was and he had his top form in the last decade so that counts. We all rightfully included Iniesta in our teams, using the same logic. Surely, you were not thinking of Vissel Kobe performances, when you were writing down Iniesta.

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Contentious picks (maybe?)...

1. Benzema: his sacrificial-lamb style should go down well with Messi and obviously Cristiano. Not a half-bad goalscorer, either — almost 230 at club level (7 seasons of 20+ goals). Selecting him over Suárez (best overall #9 of the decade) because his technique as a link-up pivot is consistently better, IMO, as well as Lewandowski (most prolific nominal #9) because the latter isn't an ideal fit with the Big-Two.
2. Schweinsteiger: the ultimate balancing act in the center of the park. More steel than Biscuits (who is obviously proven with Xaviesta), and a better fit as a holder in a possession-oriented scheme than Kanté. That match vs. Argentina, and the 2014 World Cup in general, were the peak of defensive holding midfield play for this decade. Also instrumental in Bayern's Treble under Heynckes.
3. Godín: not consistently proven in high lines but he was the best defensive organizer of the decade (and led what was arguably the best and most robust defense of the decade at Atlético).
4. Alves (over Lahm): can't go wrong with either but in this instance, I preferred the fit with Messi and club football longevity.
5. Piqué (over Ramos): better defensive presence for the decade, IMO. Willing to miss out on Ramos' crucial goals for that quality. And you won't lose a whole lot wrt. distribution.

The inclusion of 5 Barcelona players is somewhat coincidental (rather than implicit bias or premeditation), though the club did win 2 European Cup titles and 6 La Liga titles in 10 years...and some of the players also won a World Cup and a European Championship, so they aren't without merit. Totally cool with the inclusion of the likes of Robben, Suárez, Lahm, Modrić, Neymar, Chiellini, Busquets, Kanté, Lewandowski, De Bruyne, Vidić, Kroos, Van Dijk, Vidal, Ribéry etc. in alternate XIs. All of them produced some memorable years where they were the standard bearers for their respective positions/roles.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Neuer

Alves Pique Ramos Marcelo

Xavi Busquets Iniesta

Messi Ronaldo Neymar

I think Lahm was better than Alves but it's hard to ignore Alves' time at Barca and all he achieved there.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Now, now. Depends how you measure the performance in a decade. Very few footballers play their top form for 10 years. That wasn't my criteria. I would take top-form Evra over top-form Marcelo. And we are on the United forum, so I am allowed to be biased.

Same for Rooney. I mean, Rooney pretty much retired 5 years ago, but overall he's a way bigger player than Aguero ever was and he had his top form in the last decade so that counts. We all rightfully included Iniesta in our teams, using the same logic. Surely, you were not thinking of Vissel Kobe performances, when you were writing down Iniesta.
Fair enough mate. If that's your criteria I guess that makes sense. But I was assuming this thread was more about best performing players during 2010-2019. I feel like guys like Rooney, Rio and Evra scrape the surface on the decades best performances and we'd be biased to pick them, if we measure a span of two decade before (2000-2009) then there's definitely a case for it. Iniesta had a solid 7 years during the decade and started 2010 as a world cup hero so that's why I would go for him, he's been a prominent name during this decade despite of the previous 2 or so years.

Paul_Scholes18

Neuer
Lahm Ramos Kompany Marcelo
Busquets
Modric Kroos
Messi Aguero Ronaldo

Hard on Iniesta maybe. Him playing on the wing a lot make it hard to have him over Ronaldo.

For best team I say Liverpool 2019 ;).

NewGlory

Fair enough mate. If that's your criteria I guess that makes sense. But I was assuming this thread was more about best performing players during 2010-2019. I feel like guys like Rooney, Rio and Evra scrape the surface on the decades best performances and we'd be biased to pick them, if we measure a span of two decade before (2000-2009) then there's definitely a case for it. Iniesta had a solid 7 years during the decade and started 2010 as a world cup hero so that's why I would go for him, he's been a prominent name during this decade despite of the previous 2 or so years.
I hear you. What you are saying is very fair, as well.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
---------------------Neuer
Alves------Godin----Ramos----Marcelo
-------------------Busquets
-----------Xavi---------------Iniesta
Robben---------Messi-----------Ronaldo

Modric, Pique, Lahm, Neymar, Schweinsteiger could easily be in as well.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Neuer
Lahm
Alba
Pique
Ramos
Busquets
Iniesta
Modric
Ronaldo
Suarez
Messi

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
None of the guys you mentioned (Rio, Rooney, Evra) did enough in this decade specifically to be in this team.

I’m also surprised that you didn’t mention De Gea, the only United player who has a serious case.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Neuer

Alves - Ramos - Pique - Marcelo

Modric - Busquets - Iniesta

Messi - Suarez - Ronaldo​

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
As a Barca fan - Xavi shouldn’t be in this team.

He was only world class for two seasons (2010/11 and 2011/12).

In 2012/13 there was already an evident decline, which became even more clear in 2013/14. Then he was reduced to a substitute in 2014/15.

Modric’s body of work in this decade was more impressive.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

In 2012/13 there was already an evident decline, which became even more clear in 2013/14. Then he was reduced to a substitute in 2014/15.

I think you might be right in regards to Xaxi.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Neuer
Dani Alves
Ramos
Godin
Marcelo

Busquets
Modric
Kroos

Messi
Lewandowaki/Benzena
Ronaldo

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

A part from the 2009/10 season is included to (the World Cup as well). If we're talking about Ballon d'Or, he had finished 3rd in 2010 & 2011 and 4th in 2012. My favourite Xavi was from 2008/09, but he definitely had done enough in this decade to be nominated. Modrić is a fair game though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Neuer
Alves - Godin - Ramos - Marcelo
Schweinsteiger
Xavi - Iniesta
Messi - Suarez - Ronaldo
Probably this. Lahm, Busquets, Modrić, Robben, D. Silva are among the standout nominees.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Neuer
Alves - Godin - Ramos - Marcelo
Schweinsteiger
Xavi - Iniesta
Messi - Suarez - Ronaldo
Probably this. Lahm, Busquets, Modrić, Robben, D. Silva are among the standout nominees.
Same team here.

A number of centre-halves have hit high peaks at different points (Thiago Silva, Boateng, Chiellini, Van Dijk) but these two stand out for pure defensive acumen (Godin) and sustained top level success (Ramos) across the decade.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Neuer
Alves Ramos Boateng Marcelo
Busquets
Kroos Modric
Messi Suarez Ronaldo

Boateng will be controversial because of his dip in the last two seasons but before that he was one of the best CBs of the decade with consistent performances at the top and winning multiple trophies. The Italian pair of Chiellini and Bonucci don't make it because they weren't successful at the national stage and both benefited from playing in a defensive team, with plenty of protection from their midfielders and a 3rd centre back, while Boateng had to play in insanely offensive teams for both club and country and still won honors throughout the decade.

No Xavi or Iniesta because I don't think they were at the top for long enough in the decade, similar with Schweinsteiger (also no Lahm for the same reason, retired too soon while Alves continued on). If we had a 2005 to 2014 team of the decade then those 3 would have been automatic but since all three careers really only lasted for the first half of the decade, have to give it to Modric and Kroos who have been on a top level throughout the decade.

Suarez infront of Lewandowski is tough but ultimately Suarez won the UCL while Lewandowski, at Bayern, I feel hasn't performed his best in the latter stages. Messi and Ronaldo are obvious.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
I know these things are subjective, but I would have Kanté ahead of Busquets. Busquets succeeded at Barca, whereas Kanté powered Leicester to possibly the greatest sporting upset of all time, and then won the league with Chelsea and world cup with France for good measure.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
For best team I say Liverpool 2019 ;).
Very far from the best Barcelona or Real Madrid this decade in terms of quality. And Bayern 2013 was a steamroller, wouldn't put them behind Liverpool either.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
---------------------Neuer
Alves------Godin----Ramos----Marcelo
-------------------Busquets
-----------Xavi---------------Iniesta
Robben---------Messi-----------Ronaldo

Modric, Pique, Lahm, Neymar, Schweinsteiger could easily be in as well.

Lahm instead of Alves and this team is spot on.

Canagel

Buffon

Alves

Ramos
Varane
Marcelo
Pirlo
Kroos
Iniesta
Neymar
Messi
Ronaldo

Eddy_JukeZ

Ronaldo - Suarez - Messi

Xavi- Iniesta
Busquets

Marcelo - Godin - Pique - Alves

Neuer

I went with peak form and compatibility.

Hammondo

I

I would easily have aguero over Rooney.

Hammondo

Neuer

Alves Pique Ramos Marcelo

Xavi Busquets Iniesta

Messi Ronaldo Neymar

I think Lahm was better than Alves but it's hard to ignore Alves' time at Barca and all he achieved there.
Love pique.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
5. Piqué (over Ramos): better defensive presence for the decade, IMO. Willing to miss out on Ramos' crucial goals for that quality. And you won't lose a whole lot wrt. distribution.
If you value defensive presence then why are you picking Pique?
The likes of Chiellini & Thiago Silva make him seem like a fraud.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Surprised that Robben doesn't get mentioned more often. All in all, third best player in the Messi/Ronaldo era for me:

Neuer
Alves - van Dijk - Ramos - Marcelo
Busquets
Iniesta - Xavi
Robben - Messi - Cristiano

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
Cristiano - Suarez - Messi
Marcelo - Kante - Xavi - Alves
Chiellini - Ramos - Godin
Neuer

I know that Xavi declined after 2012, but I've not seen a midfielder have even one year as good as any of Xavi's in 2010-2012, not even including his performances in the previous decade. And it's not like he was poor after it. He couldn't deliver world class performances every week anymore, but he was crucial also to the 2015 CL title with MSN. The team never recovered the magic after his retirement.

Kante was a key to Leicester winning the EPL title, Chelsea winning the EPL title after the "Mourinho seasono" and France winning a World Cup title. That France may have had world class attackers, but the defense won them the title and that was more on the midfield than the CBs.

Reactions: Sultan