Your team of the decade

thepolice123

Now, now. Depends how you measure the performance in a decade. Very few footballers play their top form for 10 years. That wasn't my criteria. I would take top-form Evra over top-form Marcelo. And we are on the United forum, so I am allowed to be biased.

Same for Rooney. I mean, Rooney pretty much retired 5 years ago, but overall he's a way bigger player than Aguero ever was and he had his top form in the last decade so that counts. We all rightfully included Iniesta in our teams, using the same logic. Surely, you were not thinking of Vissel Kobe performances, when you were writing down Iniesta.
Consistency and longevity of form needs to be taken into account. We are not solely talking about best performance here. And even so, Rio and Evra played their best football the decade prior.

I think Iniesta has the same issue as Rio, Rooney and Evra in that his peak was sandwiched between two decades, however important to note that he won the WC in 2010 and Euros in 2012.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Now, now. Depends how you measure the performance in a decade. Very few footballers play their top form for 10 years. That wasn't my criteria. I would take top-form Evra over top-form Marcelo. And we are on the United forum, so I am allowed to be biased.

Same for Rooney. I mean, Rooney pretty much retired 5 years ago, but overall he's a way bigger player than Aguero ever was and he had his top form in the last decade so that counts. We all rightfully included Iniesta in our teams, using the same logic. Surely, you were not thinking of Vissel Kobe performances, when you were writing down Iniesta.

Will never get that attitude. You realize you're being biased but you simply don't care and continue with your beliefs anyway because you're in a United board? That's odd.

Enigma_87

You know who
-------------------------Neuer
Alves------Vidic-----Godin-------Marcelo
-----------------------Busquets---------------------------
-------------Xavi--------------------------Iniesta-------
Robben-------------Messi--------------Ronaldo

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Cristiano - Suarez - Messi
Marcelo - Kante - Xavi - Alves
Chiellini - Ramos - Godin
Neuer
In a decade when a center back's pool is arguably the weakest since the 50's it's an interesting choice to go with a back 3. Hard to argue about the balance of this side though.

arnie_ni

Really?! Aguero isn't good enough to shine the shoes of Rooney. And I would take Rio Ferdinand over that a-hole Ramos, or Evra over Marcelo, any day of the week.
All the wrong decade though. Romney's peak ended a year or 2 into the decade

arnie_ni

Id have de gea in it. He had imo 4 to 6 years as the worlds best.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Will never get that attitude. You realize you're being biased but you simply don't care and continue with your beliefs anyway because you're in a United board? That's odd.
I said biased, I didn't say a liar :) If two players are at the same level, as a United fan you would naturally pick the United player. I don't think Aguero is next level to Rooney. Actually I think top Rooney was more exciting to watch and just as effective. Also Rooney was pretty versatile and could play many positions, if needed

harms

Staff
Surprised that Robben doesn't get mentioned more often. All in all, third best player in the Messi/Ronaldo era for me:
Personally, I just prefer the right wing version of Messi (especially since his peak as a false 9 was arguably during the very end of last decade), which doesn't leave the place for him. Someone less selfish like Suarez, especially considering his proven partnership with Messi, seems like a more natural choice. On quality alone, Robben would be somewhere near the very top, aliens excluded (Xavi, Iniesta, Modrić, Suarez).

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Am suprusied not many people have De Gea in their team...I know he's been well below his standards the past 18 months but for most of the decade, I thought he was the best GK in the world.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
-------------------------Neuer
Alves------Godin-----Piqué-------Alba
-----------------------Busquets
-------------Xavi--------------------------Iniesta
Messi-------------Ronaldo--------------Ribéry

Paul_Scholes18

Am suprusied not many people have De Gea in their team...I know he's been well below his standards the past 18 months but for most of the decade, I thought he was the best GK in the world.
He hasn't done that much though. 1 league title and 1 Fa cup title is not great. Also the league title was not won by him much and it was before he started playing at his peak. In the Fa cup we had the most kind run ever and still almost failed to win it.

He has had two great seasons. LVGs first and Mourinhos second. In those he helped us get top 4 and end in second place. Even if he did his part the results are still not great.

Buffon,Lloris, Navas, Neuer has had better decades than him if you are not being biased.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Very likely Rashford, Martial and Lingard will be in my team. I predict great stuff from them in 2020, just in time to make it into team of the decade.

harms

Staff
It can be argued that Neuer's peak was a bit shorter, but he had been a more all-rounded keeper as well as being equally successful on a club and on an international level (the second one can't be said for De Gea, sadly). The last part is what separates those two for me in terms of their all-time rankings, if De Gea would've performed as well for Spain as he did with us in the last decade, he probably would've overcame him, at least in my eyes.

Paul_Scholes18

Very likely Rashford, Martial and Lingard will be in my team. I predict great stuff from them in 2020, just in time to make it into team of the decade.
Lingard scored the winner in an Fa cup final. That should be enough for these teams.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I bet if De Gea made a couple of his usual worldies instead of fecking up against Watford, he'd be in half of these teams. People have very short memories :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If you value defensive presence then why are you picking Pique?
The likes of Chiellini & Thiago Silva make him seem like a fraud.
Relative defensive presence/astuteness was a consideration, yes. Piqué falls in the Goldilocks Zone in terms of being a better distributor than Chiellini but also a better pure defender than Ramos when he was on top of his game, IMO.
What do the arrows mean

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Neuer
Alves — Ramos — Pique — Marcelo
Kante
Kroos — Iniesta
Messi — Ronaldo — Neymar​

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Neuer
Alves - Ramos - Pique - Marcelo
Modric - Busquets - Iniesta
Messi - Lewandowski - Ronaldo

Struggled for CM (someone instead of Busquets) and ST (Neymar, Zlatan, Benzema, Aguero etc), I think the rest is fairly standard.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me, to be in the team of the decade you don't just have to have played in this decade, you had to play for the entire decade. So as great as Xavi and Iniesta were, that takes them out of the picture

---------------------------------------------Neuer---------------------------------------
Alves-------------------Pique--------------------T Silva----------------Marcelo
----------------------------------------Busquets--------------------------------------
--------------------Modric--------------------------D Silva-------------------------
Messi------------------------------Suarez--------------------------Ronaldo

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I said biased, I didn't say a liar :) If two players are at the same level, as a United fan you would naturally pick the United player. I don't think Aguero is next level to Rooney. Actually I think top Rooney was more exciting to watch and just as effective. Also Rooney was pretty versatile and could play many positions, if needed
It's not about Rooney vs Aguero for me, my point is rather that I don't get that people know that they're biased but are okay with that. Thinking you are wrong due to bias but sticking to your opinion anyway because you're on a United forum and bias is okay here in your view, that's a behaviour I don't get and seen quite a few times in here.

Everyone of us is biased in one way or the other but being aware of that and just ignoring it doesn't make any sense to me.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Buffon
Alves Ramos Godin Marcelo
Modric Busquets Kroos
Messi Suarez Ronaldo

BlackShark_80

--------------------------Neuer
Lahm-------Godin---------Ramos-------Marcelo
---------------------Schweinsteiger---------------------------
-------------Xavi--------------------------Iniesta-------
Messi-----------Lewandowski------------Ronaldo

Davicho

‐------------------------Neuer--------------------
Alves-----Kompany--Hummels--Alba
----------------------Busquets------------------
-------------De Bruyne------Kroos----------
Messi-------------Ronaldo--------Mbappe

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
——————Neuer——————
———-Van Dijk - Ramos———-
————-Kante/Xabi Alonso——-
Alves - Iniesta - Modric - Marcelo
————-Messi/Paul Pogba———
—-Mbappe/Bale —-— Christiano Ronaldo

Last edited:

Motorman

------------------------De Gea------------------------------
----Lahm----Ramos----Van Djik----Marcelo---
------------------------Busquets--------------------------
----------------Iniesta-------De Bruyne---------------
-----------Messi----Ronaldo----Neymar----------

Subs: Neuer, Alba, Pique, Modric, Rooney, Robben, Van Persie

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
No Xavi or Iniesta because I don't think they were at the top for long enough in the decade, similar with Schweinsteiger (also no Lahm for the same reason, retired too soon while Alves continued on). If we had a 2005 to 2014 team of the decade then those 3 would have been automatic but since all three careers really only lasted for the first half of the decade, have to give it to Modric and Kroos who have been on a top level throughout the decade.
For me, to be in the team of the decade you don't just have to have played in this decade, you had to play for the entire decade. So as great as Xavi and Iniesta were, that takes them out of the picture
I agree with this argument on Xavi, but Iniesta was absolutely crucial when Barca won the treble in 2015, and was a starter for Barca as recent in 2018 when we won La Liga. Andres peaked in this decade imo.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Lahm instead of Alves and this team is spot on.
Coin toss for me, like with a few other positions. Some inclusions are nailed on, but otherwise I'd be fine with any combination of the players I mentioned. Kroos and Thiago Silva should probably be in the mix too.

Skills

Snitch
I agree with this argument on Xavi, but Iniesta was absolutely crucial when Barca won the treble in 2015, and was a starter for Barca as recent in 2018 when we won La Liga. Andres peaked in this decade imo.
See I was trying to make this argument too but it doesn't work for Xavi too. Because in the 10s he won a world cup, won the euros & was sensational in the 10-11 team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Neuer
Lahm Ramos Godin Marcelo
Schweinsteiger
Modric Iniesta
Messi Suarez Ronaldo

Or Could easily put Alves, Pique, Busquets, Xavi or Robben and push Messi centrally.​

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Buffon
Alves Ramos Chiellini Marcelo
Kante Modric Iniesta
Messi Suarez Ronaldo

Makelele

Messi, Ronaldo, Modric, Kante, Iniesta, Kroos. These are the stand out players or the decade. Below that we have several good players.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Prem Only

DDG

Azpilicueta - Kompany - VVD - Verthongen

Hazard - Kante - Fernandinho - Sterling

Vardy - Aguero

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Neuer
Lahm - Ramos - Godin - Marcelo
Kante - Modric
Robben - Messi - Ronaldo
Suarez

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Neuer
Lahm - Ramos - VVD - Marcelo
Xavi - Kroos - Iniesta
Robben - Messi - Ronaldo

Coach would be Klopp or Pep. Can't decide.