Your team's worst ever cup defeat?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
FA Cup final Vs Arsenal was worse. No way on earth we deserved to lose that.

Semi Final Vs Pompey was galling though.

Galatasary.

Bayern.

Real Madrid 2003 and the more recent one

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The losses to Barcelona (especially the one where RVP was sent off for doing what strikers do in every game. I'm convinced there was something dodgy going on at the time)
Nobody will ever convince me that this ref was legit. Having to go there with fecking Bendtner and Djourou, losing Szcesny after 20mn and getting a red card for a 2s delay.Yeah right.
Paris 2006 was so painful, ruined the whole summer. Things would have been so different had we won it.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Dunno why but I always think of the 2-1 defeat to Arsenal at Highbury in 87/88, it was rumoured there were 20,000 United fans there that day, it wasn't that many, probably nearer 12/14,000 but we had the entire clock-end, part of the east-stand, and most of the seats in the west-stand but the team just didn't turn up on the day and we were piss poor, but we had a chance late on to earn a replay with a penalty taken by Choccy, but all these years later the ball is still going up!

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Probably Lincoln red imps in CL qualifiers Rodgers first game ( dunno if that counts because we went through),

failing that 2016 semi final in the Scottish cup, shouldn’t have lost that game, paddy missed pen goal, McKay’s goal was our shy ( payback for 89) and Leigh hit bar with a free kick last minute, bounces back hits keeper goes wide.........

Haven’t lost a cup game since :D:lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably Lincoln red imps in CL qualifiers Rodgers first game ( dunno if that counts because we went through),

failing that 2016 semi final in the Scottish cup, shouldn’t have lost that game, paddy missed pen goal, McKay’s goal was our shy ( payback for 89) and Leigh hit bar with a free kick last minute, bounces back hits keeper goes wide.........

Haven’t lost a cup game since :D:lol:
Too young for Inverness Caley Thistle in 2000? ;)

Pretty sure Celtic lost a cup final to a lower league Scottish team in mid 90s aswell.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Too young for Inverness Caley Thistle in 2000? ;)

Pretty sure Celtic lost a cup final to a lower league Scottish team in mid 90s aswell.
Nope, I was there

also lost 5-1 v Neuchatel xamax in early 90s, was born but too young for that one.

Wilt

There’s been a few but the 1979 FA Cup final Arsenal 3 Man Utd 2 that always comes to mind.

Watched it at a girlfriends house and got kicked out by her Dad for swearing when Arsenal nicked it.

RepardReece

I'm only 21, the first one that springs to mind was when I had only been supporting United for a year, at the age of 7, losing 1-0 to Southend.

Al-T

1976 Fa cup final was like a bereavement. Won nowt since 68, hammered a good Derby side in the semis and only had Southampton to beat.
Glad it's not just me! My 12 year old self was scarred by that and to this day I can't stomach Southampton.

I remember listening to the semi v Derby on the radio. Gordon Hill got both goals and Derby had been favourites. Plus it was Grand National day and my Uncle put a quid on Rag Trade for me which won at 14-1.

Happy days after the misery of relegation a couple of seasons back. Couldn't see how our exciting young side could lose to feckin' Southampton.

Still think Stokes was offside.

Al-T

1976 Fa cup final was like a bereavement. Won nowt since 68, hammered a good Derby side in the semis and only had Southampton to beat.
Glad it isn't just me. This one still sticks in my throat. My 12 year old self was utterly gutted.

I've loathed Southampton ever since.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Barcelona in CL final

We were heavy favorites with Rooney&Ronaldo in the team.

Arsenal in FA cup final. No comment. Still fuming.

galwayfa

Videoton 1984 in uefa Cup, Stapleton I think missed deciding penalty, they were shocking

gormless

The one that still pissed me off is Portsmouth 08. We should have won the treble.
I’m at peace with the Barca finals, they were just brilliant.

Honourable mention to the 04 FA cup final against Arsenal. We battered them

ThinkTank@Cafe

Heavy favourites?
In 2009, yes. Nobody knew that Barcelona PE teacher and bunch of Academy graduates will turn out to be best football team ever.
United were reigning champion with two best players in the world. How old are you?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In 2009, yes. Nobody knew that Barcelona PE teacher and bunch of Academy graduates will turn out to be best football team ever.
United were reigning champion with two best players in the world. How old are you?
34, why? :confused: Barcelona were regarded as a great team. I watched them regularly as I always have and didn’t think we could hurt them enough. They had beaten Real Madrid 6-2 at Madrid, thrashed Atletico 6-1, beat Bayern 4-0. They were playing great football and the front 3 even with Henry in decline was brilliant. The Chelsea game maybe skewed perceptions but Barcelona were not the team that was struggling the session prior with Rijkaard.

Also what academy graduates? Iniesta and Xavi had already won UCL and the Euros. Xavi didn’t play in the final of the UCL in fairness, but Iniesta did as he made a brilliant cameo in that final against Arsenal. The only one who had a question mark was Busquets as it was his first season in the first team.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah, prime Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. Farmers FC.

Fingeredmouse

I'm 45 which has no bearing on the fact that your statement that Utd were "heavy" favourites to win that game is nonsense.

ThinkTank@Cafe

34, why? :confused: Barcelona were regarded as a great team. I watched them regularly as I always have and didn’t think we could hurt them enough. They had beaten Real Madrid 6-2 at Madrid, thrashed Atletico 6-1, beat Bayern 4-0. They were playing great football and the front 3 even with Henry in decline was brilliant. The Chelsea game maybe skewed perceptions but Barcelona were not the team that was struggling the session prior with Rijkaard.

Also what academy graduates? Iniesta and Xavi had already won UCL and the Euros. Xavi didn’t play in the final of the UCL in fairness, but Iniesta did as he made a brilliant cameo in that final against Arsenal. The only one who had a question mark was Busquets as it was his first season in the first team.
I admit “heavy favorites” is a bit stretched statement. I asked about the age because there are a lot of young fans in social media with inferiority complex.

I am subjective of course because OP asks for an opinion. Back in 2009, United was perceived as the best team ever here in Kazakhstan (where MU was the most popular team by far). My colleagues, relatives and friends were raving about Vida and Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez. We seemed to be a juggernaut.

That defeat in the final was painful.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Yeah, prime Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. Farmers FC.
Busquets - first season, as mentioned by Lay, Pique; Bojan, Pedro in the subs, even Iniesta wasn’t indisputable established players both in UCL win under Rijkard or Euros in 2008. I am not saying they were farmers fc but they were no match to proven stars like Scholes, Ferdinand, etc. Also, Pep vs SAF. On paper, United was much stronger.

Fingeredmouse

Please see the post above. On paper we were much stronger. It’s easy to be wise after the event.
I saw your post. I was there at the time and remember. I thought we would win because I believed they'd be vulnerable to our counter and our defence could handle them but there were many who thought we'd lose. I was certainly an outlier with my (unfounded it transpired) confidence in my group of friends.

It may well be that in Kazakhstan Utd were perceived as strong favourites. It was not the case here in the UK. This is not wisdom after the fact, merely memory.

Bertie Wooster

There's 'worst' in terms of humiliating because they were cup upsets, and 'worst' in terms of the ones that still hurt the most...

Most 'humiliating and surprising' for me were the York, Southend and MK Dons defeats.

But I'm still more frustrated and annoyed by the Portsmouth QF when we hammered them, had a blatant penalty turned down early on, and lost to a late penalty with an outfield player in goal. Also the Arsenal Cup final defeat on pens, and the Sevilla EL S/F, both of which we should have easily won.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I saw your post. I was there at the time and remember. I thought we would win because I believed they'd be vulnerable to our counter and our defence could handle them but there were many who thought we'd lose. I was certainly an outlier with my (unfounded it transpired) confidence in my group of friends.

It may well be that in Kazakhstan Utd were perceived as strong favourites. It was not the case here in the UK. This is not wisdom after the fact, merely memory.
I still think we would have won if Fletcher was available. We started well but then lost midfield battle.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I admit “heavy favorites” is a bit stretched statement. I asked about the age because there are a lot of young fans in social media with inferiority complex.

I am subjective of course because OP asks for an opinion. Back in 2009, United was perceived as the best team ever here in Kazakhstan (where MU was the most popular team by far). My colleagues, relatives and friends were raving about Vida and Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez. We seemed to be a juggernaut.

That defeat in the final was painful.
I didn't consider us favourites at all. We struggled against Porto that season and only won 2 group games. We were still brilliant but I knew of the quality of the Barcelona team. And even with Abidal and Alves out, I feared their midfield and forwards. The front 3 scored 100 goals that season together.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Busquets - first season, as mentioned by Lay, Pique; Bojan, Pedro in the subs, even Iniesta wasn’t indisputable established players both in UCL win under Rijkard or Euros in 2008. I am not saying they were farmers fc but they were no match to proven stars like Scholes, Ferdinand, etc. Also, Pep vs SAF. On paper, United was much stronger.
They were evenly matched on paper if you ask me. Barca just turned out even better than everyone thought.

Though you're right, Busquets was actually still a kid then, but Iniesta was already quite important in Spain's 2008 euros win wasnt he?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Oh wow I mean where do I start? The Northampton League Cup tie under Hodgson was pretty bad just because of the mess we were in at the time.

The 17/18 CL final because of how we lost.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
2009 Champions league final. We should've been the first team to win back to back titles.