Your yearly expectations under Ole?

Raw

Now that Ole is confirmed manager on a 3 year contract, what are your expectations for him over the length of his contract (and beyond)?

This season: Maintain a positive style of play, reach the top 4 (though I wouldn't blame Ole if we narrowly miss out, unless our performances took a massive dip) and produce a spirited display against Barcelona in the CL. Start looking at transfer targets and a DoF (if that's even happening), personnel that will suit the philosophy that Ole will want to bring to United.

This summer: Get the signings! Improve the squad! Make sure we don't feck it up! Get a DoF! Bring new players in early and bed them in for pre-season, along with our academy prospects.

Year 1: Comfortable top 4 position, get quite close to the title challengers but I am not expecting a strong title push. Compete in the domestic cups and try and win one. Assuming we qualify for the CL, get to the QF (depending on the draw). If not, compete in the EL but do not make it a priority unless it's necessary. Above all else, maintain a quality standard of performance that can bring us to future success by creating a good foundation for quality players to flourish in.

Year 2: A strong title challenge after a hopefully positive transfer window. Depending on the CL draw, get to the QF and really start to prove ourselves at the top level again by producing good performances against top European teams. Win a domestic cup.

Year 3: A stronger title challenge. Level of competition in the PL is very high so winning the title isn't expected just as long as we truly fight for it. Further cement ourselves as a top European team by hopefully reaching a CL SF. Win a domestic cup.

Long term: Bring United back to one of the best in the world, challenging on all fronts and winning the biggest trophies.

Expectations for cups are tough since there is an element of luck in draws, but reaching finals and winning trophies needs to be something to maintain in the next few years. Even cups as small as the League Cup, it's important to instil that winning mentality.

There should be no messing around. We need to keep playing positive football. For obvious reasons, playing positive attacking football is going to lead to success if backed up financially well. Our transfer windows absolutely need to work out if we are to become a top team again. Nail our transfer business then I believe we can reach these expectations.

Of course it could all backfire and he ends up getting sacked after a year after dismal results. But with any manager we sign we should be expecting results that a club of our standard should be achieving. Otherwise, what's the point?

izec

Improve steadily, style and squad wise. Win the league at some point in the next 3 years. I dont want to look beyond that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
18/19 - Top 4
19/20 - Title Challenge
20/21 - PL Title

Unfortunately for Ole what he's done in the last 3 months has shown we have the players capable of challenging even more so with the right additions in the summer

Andy_Cole

We’re Manchester United. After this season we should be challenging for every trophy. Especially the league.

freeurmind

weak willed
I'd say we're 3 years away from smelling a league title with the quality City have and the deficiencies in our squad. For Ole after this year top 4 is a minimum, develop the younger players while getting rid of all the older average players in the squad. Spend wisely. If by the end of his contract we look capable of mounting a title challenge give him an extension.

Raw

We’re Manchester United. After this season we should be challenging for every trophy. Especially the league.
It's not something that I expect from Ole next season though. There's still so much work to be done if we are to be up there with City and Liverpool, not to mention the other top European sides. It's going to take time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Posted this back in December and nothing has changed for this season. Finishing Top 4 is an unrealistic expectation given where we started from.

If he achieves the below, i'll be satisfied.
  • Finish in the top 6
  • Have a run in the FA Cup
  • Give it a good go against PSG
  • Bring back attacking football
  • Give a few youngsters a go
19/20 we should be aiming for a comfortable Top 4 finish and winning a cup.
20/21 should be a title run.

Set realistic milestones and hope he can surprise us but expecting miracles is unfair.

Patrick08

Same with every manager we have hired..with the right signings we have to win big.

BlueHaze

It's all going to come down to who we sign in the summer. We are in need of players in certain positions and they all need to be young with big potential. This same squad with only 2 or 3 additions will not put up a title challenge. The window is open 3 months. They need to make use of it the absolute best they can. Many need to go and many need to come in. This all said I expect a lackluster window as usual. But if they somehow manage to do what I hope they will then I expect a title challenge most definitely.

el3mel

Depends on the players recruitment. If we buiid a top squad it will be title challenge. If we have similar shite markets as last one, top 4.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Normally I would disagree with this but you are quite right. All it takes is one window spending big on key areas to challenge at the top. City went from 73 points to 100 points by reworking their defence and supplementing the attack. I think the people at the top have craftily lowered fans expectations.

In my opinion Ole has shown enough that with big spending he can challenge for the league next season. However, history tells us that we will never go on a big spending spree. As a club we are capable of spending £200m net in one season but we always fall short of that. We are very capable of getting 3 players that will instantly improve the starting 11, but I doubt it will happen.

jem

18/19 - Top 4
19/20 - Title Challenge
20/21 - PL Title

Unfortunately for Ole what he's done in the last 3 months has shown we have the players capable of challenging even more so with the right additions in the summer
Why is that unfortunate?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This season: Continue as is pretty much, no shame if we miss out on top 4 and we'll likely lose to Barca but as long as we play the right way, keep showing progression, it's all good.

2019/2020: Top 4, hopefully win a cup competition but make a push somewhere. Keep progressing, we have a young team so we just want to see Rashford, Martial, shaw, and Dalot all make a step upin their development. This summer is important for us to sort out our right wing and midfield and defence. 4 signings needed for sure, but they dont need to be all massive names. CHO/Sancho, Rice, a midfielder to replace Herrera, and then Koulibaly/Skriniar.

2020/2021: Realistically we can see a title challenge this season and start seeing this team really coming into their own. Transfers wise, keeping slowly replacing the aging players to freshen it up and see if we need 1 big signing somewhere to make the step up as a club.

2021-2024: If all goes well, keep up the level we reach, keep freshening up the squad regularly and dont let ourselves drop down after 1 top season. Keep developing and see how we can push for the CL if possible.

So in the next 5 years (2019-2024), with the young players we have (if all goes well with Ole and the development), we should aim for 2 titles, a few cup competitions and possibly even 1 CL with a bit of luck. Genuinely believe the young players we have at the club are good enough to reach the top and especially if we sign players like Sancho/Rice, can push on.

Putting muppet hat on, dream/realistic/hopeful starting 11 by the start of 2020/21:
De Gea
Dalot Skriniar Lindelof Shaw
Rice
***** Pogba
Sancho Rashford Martial
The other CM would be a controlling with the creativity CM type, like Scholes, pjanic, modric, kroos, Xavi, etc. The correct CM and if the others develop as expected, that team could challenge for everything.

Skills

Snitch
If the goal next season is to 'consolidate top 4' we shouldn't be disappointed if the likes of Pogba and De Gea look to leave. You can't expect players to waste their primes on the top 4 trophy.

The biggest gulf between the likes of Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United is honestly the fans. Their fans believe they support a huge club and expect big things. The club then has to deliver.
Our fans believe they support some plucky under-dog, and are satisfied with their bare minimum. Which is why fan ownership would be destructive for this club.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Champions League qualification for this season. 19/20 back to 2nd place

Edit - This can be heavily effected by the amount of money we spend. If we go out and sign players with huge fees then he may need to win the title in 19/20

charlenefan

Why is that unfortunate?
Well I guess it's not as he'll know expectations of a Man Utd manager should be high, he's certainly exceeded what most thought he'd be capable of in the short time he's been here though

Infra-red

My expectation is regular Champions League participation and entertaining, attacking football. Being more proactive in big games than we have been in the last three years. A few domestic cup wins here and there.

If he can achieve and maintain that over the length of his contract, he'll be here for many more years.

deadrevelz

I agree with the OP, though it depends on what signings we get this summer. If we offload lots of deadwood but only bring in 2/3 players, we might not have the squad to challenge in the league. Cups, including Champions League, may be more realistic than a PL slog next season.

Ultimately Ole needs to be backed to the best of the clubs abilities in every area.

meamth

18/19 - Top 4
19/20 - Title Challenge
20/21 - PL Title

I won't accept another 3 years without a title. We have world class players approaching their peak and it would be a waste if we have to wait another 3 years for a title.

Players like De gea, Pogba wont wait another 3 years for that to happen, and the management should be aware of this.

Next season expectation? Challenge for the title.

Skills

Snitch
My expectation is regular Champions League participation and entertaining, attacking football. Being more proactive in big games than we have been in the last three years. A few domestic cup wins here and there.

If he can achieve and maintain that over the length of his contract, he'll be here for many more years.
I think you meant to post this in the Spurs thread.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
i'm not wumming but I just don't see him as an elite level coach, I think he started off well with just having to get the players onside, now the hardwork of tactics and buying the right players start, and I'm not convinced he's good enough. It maybe after the euphoria of beating PSG but the last 2 games against Arsenal and Wolves would worry me if I was a United fan.

charlenefan

i'm not wumming but I just don't see him as an elite level coach, I think he started off well with just having to get the players onside, now the hardwork of tactics and buying the right players start, and I'm not convinced he's good enough. It maybe after the euphoria of beating PSG but the last 2 games against Arsenal and Wolves would worry me if I was a United fan.
We were comfortably the better side against Arsenal just didn't take our chances, that's not on the manager but the players

Raw

If the goal next season is to 'consolidate top 4' we shouldn't be disappointed if the likes of Pogba and De Gea look to leave. You can't expect players to waste their primes on the top 4 trophy.

The biggest gulf between the likes of Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United is honestly the fans. Their fans believe they support a huge club and expect big things. The club and then has to deliver.
Our fans believe they support some plucky under-dog, and are satisfied with their bare minimum. Which is why fan ownership would be destructive for this club.
It's not so much a goal, it's what I expect from Ole.

If we were to expect Ole to turn United into one of the best teams in the world next season then that's just setting ourselves up for disappointment. A summer of transfers isn't going to put us on the level of City and Liverpool, unless we spend something like £300m which isn't happening. It's all about instilling a consistent style of play within the team in which players can flourish in. If there's a clear progression throughout the season and if our best players play at their best thanks to the system, they'll believe that this team can win big things in the very near future and will likely stay.

Pep didn't challenge for titles in his first season at City either, he even had some embarrassing results (4-0 v Everton, 4-2 v Leicester, 7 home draws) and finished 3rd (2 points above 4th and 3 above 5th). What was important though was the implementation of his style of football that was clear to see, and he blasted the league a season later.

Andersons Dietician

There always an expectation and I think Ole would say the same. You’re at Manchester United, if your goal isn’t to win the title then you’re in the wrong job. But realisticly top 4, and put up a good fight for the major trophies and as long as improvement can be seen and a brand of football that is true to the United beliefs then i’m Fine with that.

Skills

Snitch
It's hard to tell really. We'll have a better idea by the end of the season.

AR87

This year is a free hit. If he achieves CL qualification then he's done an incredible job since taking over when we were at our lowest ebb and well off the pace.

Moving forward I think the goal should be closing the gap to the top in half next season and then challenging for the title the following year. I don't believe we'll be able to address every deficient area of the squad sufficiently to expect a title challenge next year. The form since his appointment has been of league leading pace, but I don't think with the squad at his disposal that would be sustainable over a full campaign.

deadrevelz

If I was in charge I would bring in an elite coach, head scout and DoF in addition to hiring Ole. I think most United fans would agree with that. Even Pep doesn't work in a vacuum. Ole himself has said he sees himself more as a manager than a coach, overseeing the individual elements rather than controlling them.
Also, do you see Klopp as an elite 'coach'? He relegated his team in Germany and generally relies on all out attack to win games rather than tactical nous. I like Klopp, but I think managers are judged by results rather than tactics.

Raw

The Wolves game was the only one that truly worried me. We had many chances against Arsenal that we failed to put away, and their goals were thanks to a wonder strike (and a mistake from Dave) and a penalty. Arsenal defended well when their lead was secure and we struggled since. It's worth mentioning that Arsenal have a very good home record this season. Wolves, yeah, that was pitiful. How we'll react this weekend will be interesting.

Skills

Snitch
It's not so much a goal, it's what I expect from Ole.

If we were to expect Ole to turn United into one of the best teams in the world next season then that's just setting ourselves up for disappointment. A summer of transfers isn't going to put us on the level of City and Liverpool, unless we spend something like £300m which isn't happening. It's all about instilling a consistent style of play within the team in which players can flourish in. If there's a clear progression throughout the season and if our best players play at their best thanks to the system, they'll believe that this team can win big things in the very near future and will likely stay.

Pep didn't challenge for titles in his first season either, he even had some embarrassing results (4-0 v Everton, 4-2 v Leicester, 7 home draws) and finished 2 points above 4th and 3 above 5th. What was important though was the implementation of his style of football that was clear to see, and he blasted the league a season later.
Why do people always jump to extremes and hyperboles? It's not really productive for a discussion. Theres a world of differences between expecting top 4 and being one of the best teams in the world.

I don't expect us to be one of the best teams in the world by next season. But I do expect us to be one of the best teams in the league. A title challenge should be on the cards. We'll probably fall short and it might not end up being very close, but I still think we should be able to keep pace for at least a chunk of the season. At the end of next season we should in a position where the team in first is more concerned about us, than the team in 5th.

freeurmind

weak willed
We got destroyed by wolves and nearly lost to Burnley at home. This squad couldn't win the league with a 15 point head start.

Raw

Why do people always jump to extremes and hyperboles? It's not really productive for a discussion. Theres a world of differences between expecting top 4 and being one of the best teams in the world.

I don't expect us to be one of the best teams in the world by next season. But I do expect us to be one of the best teams in the league. A title challenge should be on the cards. We'll probably fall short and it might not end up being very close, but I still think we should be able to keep pace for at least a chunk of the season.
Apologies for the hyperbole. Being a comfortable top 4 would still be one of the best teams in the league this season in my opinion, considering the level of competition we'll face. I'm thinking a position similar to what Spurs had before their recent meltdown of results. A good amount of points away from 5th but not as much as City/Liverpool. I just think it'll be wrong to expect us to be fighting toe to toe with the teams that'll likely breach 90 points, unless we had an exceptional summer.

Infra-red

I think you meant to post this in the Spurs thread.
We are up against better run and/or better resourced clubs both domestically and internationally. While that remains the case, the biggest trophies will continue to allude us, as they have done for six years now, regardless of who the manager is.

Regular Champions League participation, exciting attacking football and a few domestic cups would see most people pretty satisfied imo, including me. I think that's achievable under Solskjaer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

The biggest gulf between the likes of Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United is honestly the fans. Their fans believe they support a huge club and expect big things. The club then has to deliver.
A thing to keep in mind is that Real Madrid have won 2 titles in the last 10 years. We need to also be realistic. Realistic is saying we have arguably the 3rd best squad in the league so should finish 3rd, while we're also much further behind in our cycle than either of City or Liverpool. Needs signings and time to gel. Hence why top 4 with progression is the expectation next season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

This. Every season a thread like this pops up and the consensus is always, disappointingly, top 4 next season and maybe a title challenge the season after.

ManuMou

Great post and questions. At the moment, I am just going to enjoy football the United way. It has been a while, since Fergie left and until Ole took over. Enjoy this moment!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Honestly, if we get the right players I don't see why we can't challenge for the title next year.

UnitedWeStandOne

I won't accept another 3 years without a title. We have world class players approaching their peak and it would be a waste if we have to wait another 3 years for a title.

Players like De gea, Pogba wont wait another 3 years for that to happen, and the management should be aware of this.

Next season expectation? Challenge for the title.
The manager insisted three hours ago that: ""That’s the demand at Man Utd, the success and striving to improve, winning trophies. That's another challenge for us, we want to be up there challenging every season from now on."

Today is a good day and it feels right. There is never any guarantee if this will take us back to where we belong, but I honestly could not think of a better candidate based on whathe has given us the past three months.

Last edited: