Your yearly expectations under Ole?

Thisistheone

Really excited to see how he is in the market. Sure he will look for younger players, pacey players with the right desire.

Hope he gets 3 or 4 out of Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Wan-Bassaka, Rice, De Ligt etc this summer. Already excited for next season where we can definitely push for the title if the summer window is strong.

beedoubleyou

I'm afraid I can't join in with the pessimism party.

I wonder if Barcelona and Real Madrid fans reacted like this when Pep and Zidane were appointed.

Why can't we have one?

Raw

I'm afraid I can't join in with the pessimism party.

I wonder if Barcelona and Real Madrid fans reacted like this when Pep and Zidane were appointed.

Why can't we have one?
Because Barca and Madrid were already stable top 4 teams. We aren't, we've finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd and likely 4-6th since Fergie retired. Let's take things step by step.

crossy1686

career ending
I think with the right appointments we can challenge for the title and major honours. The only think I'm worried about now is that we don't recruit well enough, because Solskjær isn't going to get 3 seasons without a major trophy. All the right moves have been made so far but we have to sort our recruitment out ASAP.

ottosec

Challenge for everything. What other expectations can one have from a United manager?

crossy1686

career ending
Oh definitely, I can't wait to see how Ole does. I just think expecting us to be challenging for the title next season is a bit unrealistic.
Massively. I think we disregard this season but take into account all the great work Ole and the team have done so far. We go big in the summer and really push for some great signings, not big names but 'United' players. As long as we get top 4 next year and have a good couple of runs in cup competitions everything remains positive but we're two to three summers away from a title challenge. This team has to transition first.

purgethefallen

I'd say we're 3 years away from smelling a league title with the quality City have and the deficiencies in our squad. For Ole after this year top 4 is a minimum, develop the younger players while getting rid of all the older average players in the squad. Spend wisely. If by the end of his contract we look capable of mounting a title challenge give him an extension.
This.

As fans we've got to be realistic. Despite what Ole's done this year, the squad still needs a massive overhaul and that won't be quick. Also depends whether the board will actually back him by getting players he wants, not what Ed Woodenhead wants. As long as we're improving year by year that's all we can expect at this time, we're just too far behind City, Barca and Madrid as well as others.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think with the right appointments we can challenge for the title and major honours. The only think I'm worried about now is that we don't recruit well enough, because Solskjær isn't going to get 3 seasons without a major trophy. All the right moves have been made so far but we have to sort our recruitment out ASAP.
I couldn't agree more.

The vast majority of signings made by Moyes, LVG and Mourinho failed to make an impact, eventually leading to their dismissals, it's absolutely essential that we get the recruitment right this time around. I think the board appointing Ole now, rather than at the end of the season as expected, was done so in order to give him time to prepare for a busy summer of transfer activity - at least I hope that is the case ;)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The last 6 years.
Okay, but how does Ole factor into the last 6 years of disappointment? He has done an incredible job since taking over, would it not be fair to judge him on merit rather than how poorly his predecessors fared?

ForestRGoinUp

I couldn't agree more.

The vast majority of signings made by Moyes, LVG and Mourinho failed to make an impact, eventually leading to their dismissals, it's absolutely essential that we get the recruitment right this time around. I think the board appointing Ole now, rather than at the end of the season as expected, was done so in order to give him time to prepare for a busy summer of transfer activity - at least I hope that is the case ;)
Key signings made by Klopp:
Mane
Wignaldum
Salah
Robertson
Ox (to an extent)
Fabinho
Shaqiri
Allison (nailed on)
VVD (nailed on)

It's on Ole to make the signings work, just like it was on LvG and Mourinho to do the same. And just like Klopp has done at Liverpool. No one thought that group of players above was nailed on to get Liverpool back to where it was, but Klopp made sure of it. It's been a few hours, and you can already see that the pressure has been put on Ed and the board to make this work for Ole. That's a bit ludicrous. The pressure is on Ole to make this work. No excuses.

Havak

Pokemon master
Even with Ole being somewhat inexperienced, I'd expect to see us finish in the top four and be in the draw for the last 16 of every cup competition. From there, it's relative to who you draw as to whether you should be expected to progress or not IMO. As of right now it's still be about learning, figuring out what kind of players we need to progress us at the right pace etc. I'd imagine Ole has shared his vision with the board and they like it, which is why he has the job.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It's been a few hours, and you can already see that the pressure has been put on Ed and the board to make this work for Ole. That's a bit ludicrous. The pressure is on Ole to make this work. No excuses.
The pressure is on the board to invest in the team and put a proper structure around him (something they said they will do regardless of the manager).
The pressure is on Ole to keep improving this team and new signings through coaching.

So, the pressure is shared and it should be a teamwork.

ForestRGoinUp

The pressure is on the board to invest in the team and put a proper structure around him (something they said they will do regardless of the manager).
The pressure is on Ole to keep improving this team and new signings through coaching.

So, the pressure is shared and it should be a teamwork.
The board members and CEOs rarely change. The pressure is always on the manager at this level of football.

billybee99

Now that Ole is confirmed manager on a 3 year contract, what are your expectations for him over the length of his contract (and beyond)?

This season: Maintain a positive style of play, reach the top 4 (though I wouldn't blame Ole if we narrowly miss out, unless our performances took a massive dip) and produce a spirited display against Barcelona in the CL. Start looking at transfer targets and a DoF (if that's even happening), personnel that will suit the philosophy that Ole will want to bring to United.

This summer: Get the signings! Improve the squad! Make sure we don't feck it up! Get a DoF! Bring new players in early and bed them in for pre-season, along with our academy prospects.

Year 1: Comfortable top 4 position, get quite close to the title challengers but I am not expecting a strong title push. Compete in the domestic cups and try and win one. Assuming we qualify for the CL, get to the QF (depending on the draw). If not, compete in the EL but do not make it a priority unless it's necessary. Above all else, maintain a quality standard of performance that can bring us to future success by creating a good foundation for quality players to flourish in.

Year 2: A strong title challenge after a hopefully positive transfer window. Depending on the CL draw, get to the QF and really start to prove ourselves at the top level again by producing good performances against top European teams. Win a domestic cup.

Year 3: A stronger title challenge. Level of competition in the PL is very high so winning the title isn't expected just as long as we truly fight for it. Further cement ourselves as a top European team by hopefully reaching a CL SF. Win a domestic cup.

Long term: Bring United back to one of the best in the world, challenging on all fronts and winning the biggest trophies.

Expectations for cups are tough since there is an element of luck in draws, but reaching finals and winning trophies needs to be something to maintain in the next few years. Even cups as small as the League Cup, it's important to instil that winning mentality.

There should be no messing around. We need to keep playing positive football. For obvious reasons, playing positive attacking football is going to lead to success if backed up financially well. Our transfer windows absolutely need to work out if we are to become a top team again. Nail our transfer business then I believe we can reach these expectations.

Of course it could all backfire and he ends up getting sacked after a year after dismal results. But with any manager we sign we should be expecting results that a club of our standard should be achieving. Otherwise, what's the point?
God, what a pathetic post. You sound like you should be supporting Spurs or Arsenal. We are Manchester freaking United. We should get rid of the dead wood in the summer and re-tool and get Ole every player he asks for and then take it to Shitty and the dippers next season. We've had a better record than both since Ole took over and he hasn't even bought a single player yet. We should be looking to win the league every season. I never thought that I would live to see the day that Manchester United fans would be happy with a "comfortable top 4 position". Jesus.

Raw

God, what a pathetic post. You sound like you should be supporting Spurs or Arsenal. We are Manchester freaking United. We should get rid of the dead wood in the summer and re-tool and get Ole every player he asks for and then take it to Shitty and the dippers next season. We've had a better record than both since Ole took over and he hasn't even bought a single player yet. We should be looking to win the league every season.
Sorry for not thinking that we'll be well equipped to be fighting for the title next season. Those teams have been developing for several years now under their managers, whereas we're just getting started. Did Pep "take it" to Conte's Chelsea in his first season at City? These things take time, especially considering how good we'll need to be in the transfer window. I mentioned getting rid of dead wood in terms of improving the squad, and getting all these top talents is by no means guaranteed. Especially if we're not even in the CL.

I'm very optimistic about Ole's reign. I simply don't expect us to be right up there so quickly, even if we're absolutely flying right now.

Smores

No one is saying they want top 4 at all, just that it's realistic that we won't be one of the title favourites next season. Again I think people might be confusing expectations with what they want.

If Ole performs better than expected, great, we can increase our expectations (which he so far has done). If he performs lower than expected then questions will have to be asked. It's simply a personal metric to how Ole is performing. It's a bit more than what to do in order to not get sacked, it's more of a mix between that and what we personally think is a realistic objective for next season.

10 points off 1st is a realistic expectation though, one that would likely put us comfortably in the top 4.
There seems to be an expectation there that we're starting again, i don't see that. A sizeable portion complained that we finished 2nd last season and miles away from City, a poor manager performance and a subsequent change in manager hasn't set us back from that has it? If so how given the same improved squad has suddenly got back to top form.

Ole should be given time and not judged too harshly if it takes a few seasons but it'll still be below expectations if he doesn't have us in the mix for the title. With additions this is a title winning team.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The board members and CEOs rarely change. The pressure is always on the manager at this level of football.
Not if that board and CEO have been this bad for the last 6 years or since they can't hide behind Fergie.

Perez wouldn't survive long if this same shitshow was served on the pitch and around the club in Madrid. Since most people take Madrid as some kind of example here.

dove

God, what a pathetic post. You sound like you should be supporting Spurs or Arsenal. We are Manchester freaking United. We should get rid of the dead wood in the summer and re-tool and get Ole every player he asks for and then take it to Shitty and the dippers next season. We've had a better record than both since Ole took over and he hasn't even bought a single player yet. We should be looking to win the league every season.
To be fair your post is no less "pathetic" than his :lol: Of course we want to win everything every season but let's not be deluded, we are nowhere near winning it yet and I don't think we will come closer than 10pts off 1st next season. I don't trust our board to make the signings we need and we will need to play much better next season than we did with Ole so far (I know I know we have been on a good run but some matches we were very poor).

baskinginthesun

I think based on what I have seen of him, I am pretty sure he will be challenging for the title next season. If that's all we do (i.e dont do well in the cups) I will be satisfied. For me, a title challenge with the expectation to win it next season.

He has shown his ruthless streak as well. Got rid of Fellaini, pushed Sanchez to a backup and made Lukaku a sub. I get the feeling he will be alright in the market especially since it seems the club want to bring youth in over experienced. We have enough experience in the squad already.

Canagel

Everything. We should start challenging for league next season with 3/4 signings. We're top of the table since December 22 so why can we not win the league with smart investing over the summer?
Then try to conquer Europe the season after it. I think we need a bit more time to be strong candidates in the CL.

Raw

There seems to be an expectation there that we're starting again, i don't see that. A sizeable portion complained that we finished 2nd last season and miles away from City, a poor manager performance and a subsequent change in manager hasn't set us back from that has it? If so how given the same improved squad has suddenly got back to top form.

Ole should be given time and not judged too harshly if it takes a few seasons but it'll still be below expectations if he doesn't have us in the mix for the title. With additions this is a title winning team.
For me it still remains to be seen if Ole can keep it up for a whole season in his first full season managing a massive club, so my expectations aren't so high. Perhaps if we get fantastic signings that bed in well after a good pre-season and start of the season, I'll shift my expectations. Right now, it seems a bit too much of an ask.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It depends more on squad investment more than anything.

Anything short of massive investment - probably twice more than we have spent in a summer before - we will be nowhere near the league title race.

I expect top 4 battles for the next few years as I just don't see us as a club that will spend aggressively enough to close the giant gap between us and the best teams. In 2019, that is obscene money tbf.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In terms of results :
This year- top 4 and CL
Next year- sextuple
year after that onwards- septuple and unbeaten season

In terms of performances :
This year- continue the way we are playing
Next year- top scoring team in Europe
year after that onwards- top scoring team in Europe and atleast 10 wins by 5 goal margin

:drool::wenger:

marktan

Okay, but how does Ole factor into the last 6 years of disappointment? He has done an incredible job since taking over, would it not be fair to judge him on merit rather than how poorly his predecessors fared?
No, for several reasons
- Ole's one factor of how well he does, the other is the management above him and particularly the signings we make
- Ole's completely unknown when it comes to signings. The top clubs, Barca, City and Liverpool, all either have structures or managers that have done excellently in the transfer window.
- 15 good games is not the same as a title challenge or a cup win. Even Mourinho had a strong first season, winning the EL and league cup. Whether Ole can maintain current form is anyone's guess, but he's not done it before and doesn't have top level credentials the way someone like Pep has
- Our team in itself is still far away from a title challenge

Regardless of all of that, I'm cautiously optimistic and hope Ole does well, but I would not be surprised at all to find ourselves with a new manager at the end of next season.

youmeletsfly

I have two type of expectations, pretty blunt ones:

A: If we sign a CB, RM, CM and RW
1: TOP4, UCL quarters
2. TOP4, UCL Semis
3. Title, Ucl Semis/Final

B: If we sign only a CB&RW
1: Top6
2: Top4
3: Top4 UCL quarters (depending on other additions)

Logic is:
- We really overstate and over exaggerate the value of our squad. We really lack quality, creativity and, most importantly, consistency.
- We need to spend proper and big from this summer and start building a solid core of players that will take us to the next level (if this doesn't happen a lot of other negative aspects need to be taken into consideration and the rebuilding job from season 2/3 will be even harder)

Raven

We got destroyed by wolves and nearly lost to Burnley at home. This squad couldn't win the league with a 15 point head start.
Right. And nobody else in the top 6 have been beaten by Wolves this season I guess?

Blatzo

This year: Champions League winners and 4th place finish

This summer: Secure a brexit deal that everyone is happy with

Next Season: Treble

Next Summer: World Peace

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I expect we'll spend significantly less than people think/hope in the summer. With that in mind it's unrealistic to expect anything close to a title challenge with this squad.

I'd be happy with top 4 next season and build from there. I think we'll just miss out this season but it's been a great effort to even have us in contention.

Kapardin

Comfortably 3rd next season with no fear of dropping lower. I don't think we can catch Liverpool or City yet, but we can certainly do better than the other 3.

Attacking football with plenty of goals in atleast 60-70% of our games (can't play all games consistently well obviously).

CL QF minimum. A domestic cup would be nice, but not mandatory if the other requirements are met.

Treble

Ole's stint will be:

1. successful if he makes us challenge for the title and the CL even if he doesn't win either of them;
2. highly successful if he wins one of those two competitions;
3. incredible if he manages to win both of them.

I expect 1., everything else is a bonus.