Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don't believe that no. When four or five different outlets start parroting the same things we're after Rice, we're after McGinn, we're after Tielemans, its quite clear its from 'sources.'

I'm not even saying its wrong that we go for Tielemans. He's much better than most of our midfielders. But its just unbelievable to me that the PR machine tries to spin its way out of not buying a cheap defensive midfielder by saying its cos we got no manager. Then a week later the PR machine is linking us to all and sundry even though we've still got no manager.

Its no coincidence, to me, that the week after Ralf goes to a press conference and says he hasn't spoken about summer signings with the club, the likes of ESPN are running that Ralf will have monthly recruitment meetings with the Board ahead of summer. Its all bullocks. Just like us going through 800 right backs to whack £50m on Wan-Bissaka. Just lines for journalists who want access.

I think Howson said it on Stetford Paddock. United are instagram model with the rented mansion and the leased car. We want the image of success not the substance. Its quite clear that we're more interested in telling the press who we plan to sign than actually signing anyone.
I think that’s a completely fair and accurate assessment of how United have been run for the last 5-7 years. It’s incredibly cynical but if you look at the pattern and available evidence, then it’s hard to argue with.

We’ve clearly been in a cycle of Woodward plus one, the one being the manager. And all recruitment decisions being taken ultimately in that small duopoly, powered by commercial concerns, ego, and to some extent keeping the manager on side.

The hope, and again it can only be described as a hope, is that the apparent separation of football decisions and commercial operations, in the form of an Arnold - Murtough - Fletcher - Bout - Rangnick (as consultant) - Manager, decision making team, will bring a more sustainable long term football strategy, and better recruitment.

Unlike others, and i say this not to undermine your wider point, I was actually happy we didn’t recruit in January. Given the temporary nature of our current management team, and the emerging football structure - including ceo transition - it ran the risk of acquiring more deadwood, than it did sensible recruitment. I know we have some obvious needs, but I’ve completely let go of the “fix it now” mentality, in favour of some long term vision.

Papers are going to link us to players, no matter what. That can come from the club spin machine (as you say), agents, or just journalistic click bait. So it’s hard to tell of us keeping our powder dry is part of a more patient, thought out strategy, or just further incompetence.

What I do like is Rangnick having 6 months to work with these players, to change the mentality, to change the approach to the game. I don’t expect much in the way of great results, because this was such a hugely dysfunctional, lazy team. But we are already seeing us change how we play. With more urgency, more pressing, more cohesiveness.

Ironically our last two 1-1 draws against shit teams, has actually seen us play the most encouraging football I’ve seen in a long while.

Whichever manager comes in, we can all agree that we’ll need two midfielders. A robust, physical, disciplined defensive midfielder, and a technically superior, playmaking number 8. What form that combination takes is anyone’s guess, but they replace the outgoing Pogba, and the ageing Matic. It could be something like Rice plus Tchouameni, or Rice plus Tielemans. For me the must is Rice. Without him, the 8 is pointless. I don’t know what our alternatives are in the event we can’t sign Rice.

I could see a scenario where you’d do something like Kalvin Phillips plus a more robust or energetic number 8. Like Phillips plus Bellingham. Or De Jong plus Kessie. It’s all about how the combination compliment one another. In a dream world you blow your budget on Rice and De Jong, and use the Pogba wages to cover free agent moves for other positions like Rudiger at CB.

There is so much work to be done on the squad this summer, I think it’s a chance to reset. We’ll desperately need probably two forwards as Cavani, Mata, Lingard, Martial, and possibly Ronaldo will all leave. I also doubt Greenwood will ever play for the club again.

georgipep

One thing that makes me laugh is, in January we were told we weren't buying anyone cos we don't know who the new manager is...

...all of a sudden we're buying Tielemans. Yet we still don't know who the new manager is.

Just shows how much ManchestePR United we are these days. The lines they're spinning don't even make sense and are totally inconsistent but we lap them up anyway.
Do you believe everything that you read?
Or believe it is coming from the club?
No chance it is the media spinning BS to sell clicks?

georgipep

I don't believe that no. When four or five different outlets start parroting the same things we're after Rice, we're after McGinn, we're after Tielemans, its quite clear its from 'sources.'

I'm not even saying its wrong that we go for Tielemans. He's much better than most of our midfielders. But its just unbelievable to me that the PR machine tries to spin its way out of not buying a cheap defensive midfielder by saying its cos we got no manager. Then a week later the PR machine is linking us to all and sundry even though we've still got no manager.

Its no coincidence, to me, that the week after Ralf goes to a press conference and says he hasn't spoken about summer signings with the club, the likes of ESPN are running that Ralf will have monthly recruitment meetings with the Board ahead of summer. Its all bullocks. Just like us going through 800 right backs to whack £50m on Wan-Bissaka. Just lines for journalists who want access.

I think Howson said it on Stetford Paddock. United are instagram model with the rented mansion and the leased car. We want the image of success not the substance. Its quite clear that we're more interested in telling the press who we plan to sign than actually signing anyone.
I strongly recommend you read "Trust Me, I'm Lying" by Ryan Holiday. I have a feeling it will change your view on a lot of topics.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I used to be a huge fan but he hasn't really improved in the last couple of years. He is an inferior version of Pogba with a worse defensive positioning. His off the ball defending is crap.

If we sign him, we will again think why the hell did we sign him. I rate Neves above this guy and I think we can do better than Neves.

OleGunnar20

Great on his day, bad mentality though it seems. In a team of winners I think he'd be a great pickup at the touted price. Alongside our lot? I don't think it'd work well.

But hell, we need two / three signings in Cm really so, maybe it's an idea?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd say this is the players agent using our name to flush out a buyer.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Always liked him and I wanted us to get him before Leicester did.

If Pogba leaves then he's my preferred choice to replace him.

We still need another midfielder too though. A defensive minded one.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I haven't watched Leicester much this season but if its true that he's visibly phoned it in for them then I'm not sure I want him.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
He’s a great player when he’s on it. Last season he was an absolute beast for us, however this season he looks like the player that had failed at Monaco.

Something just isn’t working and he’s turned down the contract. In the right team, his vision and passing is immense.

However defensively he’s not great. Lacks pace be elite and similar to what a lot of people said about Rooney, needs continual games to pick up the pace.

I’m not angry with his performances this season, just disappointed.

We were mid table when Claude Puel signed him on loan for Monaco. Between Rodgers and Tielemans they’ve elevated us to be the noisy club outside the established big six. This season has been a disaster for both in many ways and both need to move on before the reputation is tarnished.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He’s a great player when he’s on it. Last season he was an absolute beast for us, however this season he looks like the player that had failed at Monaco.

Something just isn’t working and he’s turned down the contract. In the right team, his vision and passing is immense.

However defensively he’s not great. Lacks pace be elite and similar to what a lot of people said about Rooney, needs continual games to pick up the pace.

I’m not angry with his performances this season, just disappointed.

We were mid table when Claude Puel signed him on loan for Monaco. Between Rodgers and Tielemans they’ve elevated us to be the noisy club outside the established big six. This season has been a disaster for both in many ways and both need to move on before the reputation is tarnished.
Did he actually fail at Monaco? I didn't know much about his history.

jesperjaap

I think he is a very talented and very good player who often has patchy form. Apart from seeing the obvious talent when he was still at Anderlecht, never really wanted us to sign him, even in his good spell at Leicester. He just isnt what we need and especially with us currently, he lacks the defensive side of the game slightly to be a success here

IrishRedDevil

Created the most chances for Leicester in the PL this season, but Leicester fans would have you believe he has hung his boots up.

If he has, yet still creating the most chances, what does that say about the other players.

SAF is the GOAT

Created the most chances for Leicester in the PL this season, but Leicester fans would have you believe he has hung his boots up.

If he has, yet still creating the most chances, what does that say about the other players.
I remember that in the last few years Madison was that guy

LuckyScout78

For nr.8 spot and role. The consistent creative and service to the attacking line. The link up and build up play.

I come down to the last two. Tielemans vs Bellingham

Ralf want aggresive and some one nasty. The reason and big factor i think Bellingham has the natural nasty and dominance presence more in him than Tielemans. Tielemans looks so kind and have a babyface. I think its the last things, factor, element and ingredients that is lacking with Tielemans. He has it. But the top level of it. The world class level.

You know Bellingham is only 18 and hasnt fully develop his physical to man body and beast physical yet. And still Bellingham is really quick and good with the ball and Bellingham can easily pass players from central midfield area too. I have been watching closely of Bellingham videos. On his best level. The boy has it. Ability to pass players, not only pass, pass and pass. You get to have ability to pass players as nr.8 like Scholes, Modric and Yaya Toure. Beside passing and scoring. Bellingham has it in him. The thing with Bellingham is. The boy is only 18. You cannot expect a 18 to doing what a world class n8 are doing. So its the full pontential. I think Belligham can overcome Tielemans in the future. As the top creative cm player. Maybe in 2-3 years time. When he is around 20-22.

So again. I rate Tielemans really high too. But my feeling is saying and i am convince i am Bellingham train for the nr.8 spot.

thebelfastboy

Apart from Pogba, Tielemens walks into our current midfield.

Premier League proven, really solid at international level in a very good team, free transfer, not likely to expect extortionate wages? Not a complete dickhead?

Seems like a no brainer to me.

kelvinwong2026

In terms of play for the very top teams, he lacks defending abilities as a no.6, and lacks mobility as a no.8. Works only in a very specific setup. But of course we are not a top team on the pitch, and he is still young, so worth a punt if the fees are resonable.

We Need Another Rebuild

Simple Answer does he improve us - Yes....

Does he start over McFred - Yes.....

Is he Prem Proven - Yes......

Is he available for a reasonable Fee - Yes.....

Will United sign him - Probably Not as it is to obvious

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is quite similair to Pogba with his weaknesses whilst I do think Pogba's strengths are better.

NoPace

In terms of play for the very top teams, he lacks defending abilities as a no.6, and lacks mobility as a no.8. Works only in a very specific setup. But of course we are not a top team on the pitch, and he is still young, so worth a punt if the fees are resonable.
In theory he should work well in a 4-3-3 with a more mobile partner like Kroos does, and a DM like Casemiro, but we have Bruno so yeah might not work so well here.

Abraxas

Think this lad is a bit overhyped. A good player and annoyingly always turns up against us. But I think when you see a good number of games he can be incredibly inconsistent between them. I don't know how that would work for us, I would have thought we'd want to start by getting some sort of solid platform from within our midfield options.

femto

Able replacement for Pogba, but we've struggled to get the best from Pogba, especially after Bruno has joined. Does signing Tielemans not just leave us with the same problems of having three midfield slots and two creative players who aren't suited to going backwards taking up two of them? The real question is (regardless of Pogba staying or not), can we get a six who can cover for them, who is that player and are they affordable?

Brilliant player, when we were linked to Maddison previously I was so gutted because wanted this guy. He isn’t the answer to our DM issue but would be a fantastic addition to the squad, great passer who could replace Pogba.

Status
Not open for further replies.