g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donut

His current form is misguiding. He has been excellent for a few years. It’d be foolish not to get him.

Classical Mechanic

He's a good player and if Pogba goes he's be a logical choice on the cheap but if United fans think they'll be getting a consistently top level player then they'll be disappointed.

Danish Wizard

I would go for him this summer. One year left at Leicester, so the price should be more reasonable than most other top midfielders.
He is a great #8, and would be perfect for United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes he’s a good player, on his day, on his off days he’s lazy and disappears. He also needs a tackler alongside him to get the best out of him.
So, he’s not a 6. He’s an 8. An upgrade on what we have as 8s from a passing point of view.
But we’d still need a rice, nididi etc alongside him. If he’s bought on his own to fix our midfield we will be waiting and cursing more.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He'd be a good cheap replacement for Matic/Pogba that's for sure. We need bodies and he's premier league proven with european experience.

Chairman Steve

Leicester fans on Foxes Talk aren’t speaking glowingly of him at the moment. They think he should be benched and also think he’s mentally checked out.

SATA

I don’t think he’s very good. Has quite a good occasional shot on him and that’s about it. Do the Leicester fans rate him highly themselves?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yes he’s a good player, on his day, on his off days he’s lazy and disappears. He also needs a tackler alongside him to get the best out of him.
So, he’s not a 6. He’s an 8. An upgrade on what we have as 8s from a passing point of view.
But we’d still need a rice, nididi etc alongside him. If he’s bought on his own to fix our midfield we will be waiting and cursing more.
We could buy him and Kamara for a fraction of the price that Rice or Ndidi would cost though. If they didn't work out, we'd also be able to move them on for good money. It would bulk up our midfield options, whilst still maintaining a degree of prem experience, not for not a lot of money.

He's definitely checked out though, it's not a great atmosphere in the Leicester camp anyway, but it's not a great look.

AgentSmith

Tchouaméni - Tielemans
Bruno​

Seems a well-balanced and versatile midfield.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He may not be good enough for Man Utd, but he is good enough for Arsenal. I will take him.

goptun

He is not. Not even close.

he would not.
Do you fancy expanding on that?

He's usually good whenever I've seen him. Is he significantly better than someone like Kessie, though, who is available on a free?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't really want him. I'm fine with McT and Fred with Rice + one other in the summer, but I think we'd get fleeced for Tielemans.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I don't really want him. I'm fine with McT and Fred with Rice + one other in the summer, but I think we'd get fleeced for Tielemans.
Rice will cost a fortune. Like 80 million or thereabouts and he isnt an 80 million player. He is still good but wouldnt be able to match his price tag.

goptun

He's got a year left on his contract come the summer. Leicester are desperate for a CB, like someone else said on here - Maguire for Tielemans in a swap deal.

lenny_1248

Do you fancy expanding on that?
He's overrated. He's incosistent. As someone mentioned above, he's quite lazy.
Him and Bruno in midfield is not better than Pogba and Bruno from the defensive standpoint. There would be huge gaps.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's overrated. He's incosistent. As someone mentioned above, he's quite lazy.
Him and Bruno in the midfield is not better than Pogba and Bruno from the defensive standpoint. There would be huge gaps.
If he is anything like his Monaco days then it's worse, at least the other two try. They may fail but they try.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Says he is desperate to play in the CL so that rules us out.
Man Utd's salary is on another level compared with other EPL clubs, let alone other leagues. I will never underestimate the draw of Man Utd to players.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Tielemans has played a massive number of minutes in his career (nearly 30,000) for a 24-year-old player - more than Thomas Partey, more than Fred, only a few thousand less than Pogba. Beyond the questions about his focus and all around game, I would be very scared of potentially buying a 24-year-old with the legs of a 29-year-old.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Tielemans has played a massive number of minutes in his career (nearly 30,000) for a 24-year-old player - more than Thomas Partey, more than Fred, only a few thousand less than Pogba. Beyond the questions about his focus and all around game, I would be very scared of potentially buying a 24-year-old with the legs of a 29-year-old.
On the flip side, shows an impressive reliability.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
One thing that makes me laugh is, in January we were told we weren't buying anyone cos we don't know who the new manager is...

...all of a sudden we're buying Tielemans. Yet we still don't know who the new manager is.

Just shows how much ManchestePR United we are these days. The lines they're spinning don't even make sense and are totally inconsistent but we lap them up anyway.

saivet

Good player and an upgrade on McFred but I can't help but feel like he'd be an underwhelming signing. Perhaps it's recent form and I think his weakness have been exposed as of late.

NZT-One

Good player and an upgrade on McFred but I can't help but feel like he'd be an underwhelming signing. Perhaps it's recent form and I think his weakness have been exposed as of late.
Considering we are about to lose the long passing abilities of Pogba, Tielemans would be a good fit in that regard. He also seems to be way more comfortable being a DLP than Pogba who (in my eyes) always tends to push towards the opposition goal. Tielemans certainly isn't a 6 in the destroyer mode, nor in the Carrick mode but he is more than decent playing like a Pirlo or Jorginho.

Depending on the price obviously but overall I think he would be just as good of a buy as Neves might. But - again, a more defensive minded player would be needed on top. Still better to bring in two players than spending the whole budget on Rice (who I like as a player but not as a deal for the prices mentioned).

captaincantona

He isn’t anywhere near as good a Pogba on form but not many are. He is not a dominant midfielder and that concerns me. I don’t think he runs games and so if we played him as an 8 alongside a more disciplined Bruno it makes the signing of a quality DM so much more important. Signing this guy does not replace our need for a DM. Let’s not be distracted.

saivet

Considering we are about to lose the long passing abilities of Pogba, Tielemans would be a good fit in that regard. He also seems to be way more comfortable being a DLP than Pogba who (in my eyes) always tends to push towards the opposition goal. Tielemans certainly isn't a 6 in the destroyer mode, nor in the Carrick mode but he is more than decent playing like a Pirlo or Jorginho.

Depending on the price obviously but overall I think he would be just as good of a buy as Neves might. But - again, a more defensive minded player would be needed on top. Still better to bring in two players than spending the whole budget on Rice (who I like as a player but not as a deal for the prices mentioned).
I'd tend to agree to be honest, him on his own is one thing but paired with another more defensive minded midfielder, I'd be fine with. I read somewhere that his price tag will be circa 40m euros

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
One thing that makes me laugh is, in January we were told we weren't buying anyone cos we don't know who the new manager is...

...all of a sudden we're buying Tielemans. Yet we still don't know who the new manager is.

Just shows how much ManchestePR United we are these days. The lines they're spinning don't even make sense and are totally inconsistent but we lap them up anyway.
Or it's just simply paper talk?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't believe that no. When four or five different outlets start parroting the same things we're after Rice, we're after McGinn, we're after Tielemans, its quite clear its from 'sources.'

I'm not even saying its wrong that we go for Tielemans. He's much better than most of our midfielders. But its just unbelievable to me that the PR machine tries to spin its way out of not buying a cheap defensive midfielder by saying its cos we got no manager. Then a week later the PR machine is linking us to all and sundry even though we've still got no manager.

Its no coincidence, to me, that the week after Ralf goes to a press conference and says he hasn't spoken about summer signings with the club, the likes of ESPN are running that Ralf will have monthly recruitment meetings with the Board ahead of summer. Its all bullocks. Just like us going through 800 right backs to whack £50m on Wan-Bissaka. Just lines for journalists who want access.

I think Howson said it on Stetford Paddock. United are instagram model with the rented mansion and the leased car. We want the image of success not the substance. Its quite clear that we're more interested in telling the press who we plan to sign than actually signing anyone.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not totally convinced. I had seen him losing the ball too many times easily when under pressure so he's not really Modric or Xavi or Scholes type of midfielder where they have world class ball retention. It feels like Pogba who doesn't take too many touches and less physical. Not a bad option though if we end up singing him and I still think he can still improve in the future as he's still only 24.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He'll fit right in.

wolvored

Yes agree. Its Utd, there's nothing going on, so to shift a few extra papers they invent this. We didn't get anyone in January because we are waiting for the new manager, which in itself was a joke. We still haven't got a new manager, so it's bullshit.

ScarleyUtd

Man Utd's salary is on another level compared with other EPL clubs, let alone other leagues. I will never underestimate the draw of Man Utd to players.
This is part of the problem, and why we've attracted mercenaries over the years.

redshaw

40m is quite expensive considering he went for 32m to Leicester in 2019 with 3 years left at Monaco and his average form for a long time now with just one year left.

Status
Not open for further replies.