Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infestissumam

buried in Duckers article about Pogba:

Youri Tielemans, the Monaco and Belgium midfielder who spent last season on loan at Leicester City, is one of numerous players to have been offered to United but the club are not thought to be pursuing a deal for the 22 year-old and are instead focusing on other targets. Leicester would like to sign Tielemans permanently but have been put off by his €45m valuation.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...s-ready-quit-manchester-united-new-challenge/

sigh.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're dumb as feck as a club. We have an opportunity to sign a brilliant young midfielder for only £40m, who a few years from now will be sought after by all the top clubs and going for 100m. Was highly rated for years, had a rough spell at Monaco where literally everyone had a bad time, but then excelled in the premier league and really started looking quality. A player who would compliment our midfield so well, yet we have him down the list.

Leicester will literally have man for man a better back 4 and a better midfield 3 then us next season if he goes there and we lose Pogba.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We're dumb as feck as a club. We have an opportunity to sign a brilliant young midfielder for only £40m, who a few years from now will be sought after by all the top clubs and going for 100m. Was highly rated for years, had a rough spell at Monaco where literally everyone had a bad time, but then excelled in the premier league and really started looking quality. A player who would compliment our midfield so well, yet we have him down the list.

Leicester will literally have man for man a better back 4 and a better midfield 3 then us next season if he goes there and we lose Pogba.
With the way this window's started I've been looking down the table rather than up it. Signing Tielemans would be a double bonus because he's a great little player and it stops Leicester signing him.

bosnian_red

With the way this window's started I've been looking down the table rather than up it. Signing Tielemans would be a double bonus because he's a great little player and it stops Leicester signing him.
Yep... like I'm expecting Chelsea to struggle massively, and originally I had expected us to at least improve upon last season. All the talk is looking like Pogba/de gea/lukaku want to leave while we want to extend the likes of mata/Pereira and give bigger roles to Rojo and nobody can afford Sanchez, while we also struggle to buy literally anyone means that this summer is going to be a huge feck up. I'll be surprised if we sign more than 3 players (add wan Bissaka and bruno Fernandes at this point), and I cant see us selling too many.

Delano

I wouldn't be too bothered by Ducker saying we are not perusing anything. If Kristof Terreur says we've been in touch, the likelihood is we have been. Seems like he's just one of numerous options.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Shit - thought we will be in for him. 45m is still a steal in today's market as we can sell him if it doesn't work out.

beingshe7don

I'm excited for this summer because it seems like Pogba and Lukaku will be leaving. Tielemens, Bruno and perhaps another midfielder (Ndombele or Partey) would offer so much balance as opposed to having a petulant Pogba in midfield which just creates a bad atmosphere within the team. We should just hold off on the Pogba transfer till the last moment just because the moment we have the Pogba money, the other teams will inflate the transfer fees of our targets.

Drainy

I'm excited for this summer because it seems like Pogba and Lukaku will be leaving. Tielemens, Bruno and perhaps another midfielder (Ndombele or Partey) would offer so much balance as opposed to having a petulant Pogba in midfield which just creates a bad atmosphere within the team. We should just hold off on the Pogba transfer till the last moment just because the moment we have the Pogba money, the other teams will inflate the transfer fees of our targets.
I don't think we'll get 3 ready made midfielders, to be honest.

In my opinion we'll go for 2 - one who is a ready made player (like Bruno) and one who can slot in, but is more of a developmental player.

Ready Box to Box Player, Matic, McTominay, Fred, Andreas, New Prospect

I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up with just a box to box player who replaces Pogba and cheap out on the prospect-and then we see a lot of New Player, Fred, McTominay in midfield- I expect to see a lot of McTominay next year, and we possibly may even see Lingard in a box to box role (heaven forbid!) at some point in then when we get desperate.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Fernandes and Tielemans will work better for us than Pogba and Herrera - it the former continues their current form.

We just need a solid DMF and we’ll be laughing.

Ballache

Supports
Martial

Fernandes and Tielemans will work better for us than Pogba and Herrera - it the former continues their current form.

I'd love to get Ndidi in, would add mich needed energy and mobility to that midfield. Add Rabiot on a free and we would have a much more balanced midfield.
There are options out there, we just need to be clinical in the market.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I wonder. West Ham have bid on a new DMF. Does that mean Rice will be moving?

Bruno - Rice - Tielemans

sp_107

Barella or Aouar could be a better option than Tielemans? I would go for one of Barella/Aouar and Tielemans if Fred is also moving to Roma

Dante

Average bang
Why do Monaco want to sell at that price? Maybe the reason is the same as the one United are have for not being interested.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why do Monaco want to sell at that price? Maybe the reason is the same as the one United are have for not being interested.
It would be hard to demand much more as considering they clearly wanted rid of him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

That would be a step down imo. You are expecting too much from Bruno and Tielemans

Get Bruno, Tielemans, Rabiot or Lecolso ,Longstaff and we would be better.

Personally i prefer Rabiot,Tielemans ,Ndombele though.

Kaglish10

His little mobility and average defensive skill is the reason why I'm sceptical. Aside that, he's a good player.

Another is his mentality. I know he wasn't utilised right at Monaco but another player could have tried harder. For example Van de Beek struggled initially as a second striker behind another false 9 striker but he came back stronger. He even talked about how he had to trained hard and improve himself tactically.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
His little mobility and average defensive skill is the reason why I'm sceptical. Aside that, he's a good player.

Another is his mentality. I know he wasn't utilised right at Monaco but another player could have tried harder. For example Van de Beek struggled initially as a second striker behind another false 9 striker but he came back stronger. He even talked about how he had to trained hard and improve himself tactically.
:lol: You never miss an opportunity to plug Van de Beek, do you?

Ramos

Well, they want like double what they paid only two years ago for a player who flopped for them. Asking even more might be a bit overdoing it.

Godfather

These 2 plus Ndidi or Ndombele and we will look the part. Pogba won't and can't be replaced but I think these 3 would be good aquisitions.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I thought Leicester were desperate to sign him? €45m is a not that much money for a team like Leicester anymore.
the complication is Adrien Silva and the valuation of both players, they want to keep Adrien and we want to keep Youri, the deal will get done eventually I think.

Of Course if they sell Youri elsewhere the price for Silva would go up as well

Adnan

Talent Spotter
IIRC, I mostly argued in favour of Malcom when he was been compared to Pulisic. Because things hasn't quite turned out well for him at Barcelona does not mean it would have been the case at every club, and besides, Pulisic just got his big move after falling completely off the cliff at Dortmund, so we will see how he does.
Tielemans has at least done enough to win numerous player of the year awards, even appearing in Europa team of the season and bagging 23 caps for Belgium so it isn't only hype. I don't know what could've gone wrong at Monaco, but he was impressive at Leicester in a league of higher standard than Ligue un even though 13 games might not be enough to fully judge. His performances in EPL could be a sign of his capability to turn it around and if he wasn't good enough, he'd have stuck out as the inferior player next to the likes Ndidi and Maddison, but didn't. Performing to a high standard in this Leicester team surely should be seen as a positive, not a negative.
Tielemans wouldn't be in the convo based on his time at Monaco after Anderlecht, but he probably did enough at Leicester to get himself back in it. Longstaff on the other hand wouldn't be in the convo if he wasn't British and relatively unknown. He has 9 top flight games at the age of 22, and hasn't failed anywhere because he's not being to many places. You could put down Tielemans based on his time at Monaco whilst ignoring his Anderlecht, Belgium and Leicester careers, but what's the point when you go on to big up Longstaff who's barely done anything at Newcastle. He looked decent next to the likes of Hayden, Perez, Clark, Ritchie, Lascelles, Rondon, and performed as well as them, but that could well be his level. He didn't stand out at Newcastle as someone like Zaha does at Palace for example, and he isn't the first player that have looked decent in the midst of a relegation scrap. If he isn't good enough, then he would stick out like a sore thumb next to Leicester City players, and even worse next to Manchester United players. Even though Pogba has not performed fully to expectations, but he still stands out as the best player in our team.
You could prefer Longstaff based on his technical skills or versatility, but that shouldn't be at the extent of putting down Tielemans when Longstaff is a nobody compared to the latter.
The likes of Hayden etc who play at Newcastle are limited footballers in comparison to Longstaff. Longstaff is far superior on a technical level it's not even close. Longstaff's composure on the ball along with his passing vision is what separates him from the rest at Newcastle. You just have to have a read of one of their fan forums to see how highly their fans rate Longstaff in comparison to the players you mention, especially Hayden who is quite limited in comparison.

I'm not ignoring Tielemans career at Anderlecht and provided you with context on how he did in the Jupiler league. I think many would agree that he was wildly over rated before he moved to Monaco.

Tielemans is a #8 that isn't very good in the defensive transition. He could be used as a #10 without much defensive responsibility, but I don't believe he's good enough to play that role as a Pogba replacement. Playing him as the #8 would require a monster DM especially if Pogba is still at the club. If Ole wants the team to be amongst the hardest working teams in the league, then a player like Houssam Aouar should be considered from Lyon. Along with Havertz from Leverkusen if Pogba does depart. We'd need a DM behind them too, but Aouar can be brilliant in both the attacking and defensive phase to make it work. Longstaff I'd still sign due to his ability to play as the holding midfielder which would provide tactical flexibility, if of course we should require him to play in a pivot or as the solo #6 behind two #8's.

I can see why we probably won't sign Tielemans due to the above.

Last edited:

flappyjay

That would be a step down imo. You are expecting too much from Bruno and Tielemans

Get Bruno, Tielemans, Rabiot or Lecolso ,Longstaff and we would be better.

Personally i prefer Rabiot,Tielemans ,Ndombele though.
Thats my Muppet wet dream :drool:

Mikelinho

Am i the only one who believes Hamza Choudhury would be an excellent signing as well? Have seen the guy in a couple of games this season and he is outstanding defensively. I would trade our whole midfield for Leicesters.. Pogba including.. Tired of the im going-im staying pogba tweets.. Choudhury, Tielemans, Ndombele and Bruno Fernandes - lets go.

bonothom

What other targets are United actually looking at? Longstaff? Laughable.

reddevilz007

Matic is not in Ole’s plans
Pogba wants out
Fred might be loaned out

That leaves McTominay and Pereira as 100% staying... that is scary...

bosnian_red

:drool::drool: Yes please. Tielemans as our central midfielder with Bruno Fernandes next to him would be very smart signings.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

And Vardy too who’s better than any of our strikers. It’s fecking nuts that Leicester City could start the next season with a better starting 11 as things stand. It’s staggering.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The fact we've been linked to him means that the closest we'll actually get to signing him will be "in advanced talks". Our money men are absolutely fecking useless.

MrBest

What is going on if we have rejected this? Get 120m for pogba, buy fernandes and teilemans as replacements and then one more signing in midfield. Not sure why we are so obsessed with keeping someone who clearly does not want to be here. If longstaff costs 25m then teilemans at 40m is a steel!

Irishman

What is going on if we have rejected this? Get 120m for pogba, buy fernandes and teilemans as replacements and then one more signing in midfield. Not sure why we are so obsessed with keeping someone who clearly does not want to be here. If longstaff costs 25m then teilemans at 40m is a steel!
Because he's the king of Social media and that is far more important to Woody than how he performs on the pitch.

flappyjay

The whole if Pogba leaves thing is b.s. We should get his replacement regardless. If Pogba somehow stays we have a season to bed his replacement inn if he goes we don't have to panic buy with all clubs knowing we have 100m+ to spend. They are already fleecing us as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.