Youth Cup Semi Final... V ARSENAL!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
On the Arsenal website it says that the first leg at the Emirates will be on Saturday the 10th of March with the return at Old Trafford on Saturday the 24th.....

Both dates are still to be confirmed.........

oskarutd

Mr. MUJAC said:
On the Arsenal website it says that the first leg at the Emirates will be on Saturday the 10th of March with the return at Old Trafford on Saturday the 24th.....

Good to see you here, did you get my private messages?

MPTutd

Mr. MUJAC said:

Bugger. Wanted a midweeker.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I'll be going to the round at the Emirates stadium, should be a good game

superdave

I have Arsenal supporting mates who said they can get me tickets. If they got some for me, would I have to sit with the Arsenal lot? Or are fans not separated?

VP

Got tickets as well. Should be good.

superdave

Any chances any of the United/Arsenal first team or management going to the Emirates on Wednesday night? Might try to get a few autographs. Definately getting some from our boys anyway.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
this might be a long shot, but any live streams for this one. i assume it's live on MUTV?

PS18

32,000 tickets sold according to Arsenal's site apparently. bigger than lots of premiership crowds :o

going to be a bit daunting for our lads maybe, considering less than a thousand showed up at OT for the last round. terrific experience though, just hope we can get a really good turnout for the second leg on the 2nd April.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
i take it MUTV are showing it live? if so are there any streams for it or could someone watching keep the less fortunate up to date? can't believe how friggin' slow this thread has been

Einar15

United lost 1-0 against Arsenal

lineup: Amos, Eckersley, Cleverley, Chester, Cathcart, Drinkwater, Welbeck, Hewson, Brandy, Fagan, Galbraith.

unused subs: Evans, Zieler, Bryan, Derbyshire, McCormack

Very evenly matched teams and United still have a good chance of getting to the final.

Record attendance in the Youth Cup at the Emiratrs with 38.000

Red17

Lost 1-0. But on the balance of the play, it should've been a draw. We probably had more possession and our approach play was very good but just lack the cutting edge in the penalty box. Defensively, we were pretty solid as well except for one moment of lapse when the goal scorer drifted/darted behind Eckersley & Wellbeck in the penalty box to get on to a pass and shot first time past Amos.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
all in all decent enough then. we'll beat them at OT and as always - it's all about the performence at youth level :smirk:

Red17

Cathcart was immense in defence.

Hewson in CM looked another solid prospect - has a presence about him - technique is good; so is his distribution; awareness also good.

Wellbeck also had an excellent game, as did Brendy. Both caused Arsenal all sorts of problem. Brendy's size however was a disadvantage and the Arsenal defenders could match his pace. Very quick and tricky feet, though.

Cold_Boy

Can someone post the Arsenal line-up?How many English players did they have?

Red17

amit_onlymanutd said:
Can someone post the Arsenal line-up?How many English players did they have?
At least half of them, by the look of them & their names.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Red17 said:
Cathcart was immense in defence.

Hewson in CM looked another solid prospect - has a presence about him - technique is good; so is his distribution; awareness also good.

Wellbeck also had an excellent game, as did Brendy. Both caused Arsenal all sorts of problem. Brendy's size however was a disadvantage and the Arsenal defenders could match his pace. Very quick and tricky feet, though.
the usual suspects then... some more ratings would be greatly appreciated

PS18

Arsenal Youth

* Lee Butcher
* Gavin Hoyte
* Paul Rodgers
* Armand Traore
* Abu Ogogo
* Kieran Gibbs
* James Dunne
* Francisco Merida Perez
* Nacer Barazite
* Mark Randall
* Jay Simpson

Subs not used

* Wojciech Szczesny
* Carl Parisio
* Henri Lansbury
* Rhys Murphy
* Rene Steer

strong team that. lots of youth internationals, Hoyte and Merida have been on the fringes of their first team for cup games already, Traore has played several times for the firsts ofc. comparitively we're a much more raw side, we've done well to by all accounts match them tonight.

really hope we get an excellent crowd at OT now to get behind the kids as they try and turn this round.

Tribec

Whilst being a fairly even game, the goal to which we lost by was well taken by Arsenal.

United started the second half full of running and creating two or three half chances. Arsenal had had only one attack in the half prior to the goal. From a defensive point of view the goal was a bit sloppy. We left the winger unmarked in the box, and though he chose the near post and Amos got his hands to it, the shot was far to powerful.

Arsenal hit the bar later in the half, but that was due in main to a great save by Amos. United attacks were very pretty, but we just couldn't break through. Arsenal employed a swamped defensive barrier during the game, with 3/4 of the team being behind the ball in what seemed like no time at all.

What was encouraging was the amount of tackles United were winning in the middle of the park, most of the 50/50's came out in United's favour. It will be interesting to see this Arsenal team come and play at OT. They played in the style of there manager, one Steve Bould.

The one dark spot of the night, was near the end of the game, when for no reason really a coin was thrown by Arsenal fans at a United player as he tried to take a corner. It wasn't that sort of game to invoke that sort of thing really, it was just a stupid act which could cost Arsenal.

Apart from bringing them to OT and beating them, we need to get the club making an effort to beat this 38,000 attendance record set tonight. I'm sure that United could and should be able to do it.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Tribec said:
Apart from bringing them to OT and beating them, we need to get the club making an effort to beat this 38,000 attendance record set tonight. I'm sure that United could and should be able to do it.
agreed

VP

Quite a good game. Draw would've been a fair result. We played pretty well in parts but just didn't create enough chances. I was impressed by the Arsenal central defenders.

The 38,000 attendance was quite surprising, lots of kids as well. The coin incident and the pitch invasions was probably due to the some stupid kids' immaturity.

PS18

definitely need to be doing all we can to boost the attendance for the second leg. pretty sure the crowd for the birmingham game was only three figures. £5 seems a bit excessive really, and it needs to be much much better publicised. should be looking at getting loads of schoolkids in for free as well really.

roonaldo78

Quite an enertaining match, we had quite a lot of the possession but the final ball was quite poor and the strikers didn't have much to work with. As someone mentioned earlier some of our players were quite small compared to the Arsenal youngsters and hence lost out physically. Brandy and Wellbeck were quite lively and Cathcart was solid at the back.

Rahul

FAYC: Arsenal 1 United 0United and Arsenal produced an entertaining semi final first leg clash fitting of the rivalry between the two clubs, but the Reds were undone by a second half Gunners strike in front of a record crowd of 38, 187 at the Emirates Stadium.

Both sides created numerous chances, but just as the match appeared headed for a draw, a stunning strike from Arsenal's 17-year-old midfielder Kieran Gibbs sealed victory for the home side.

Despite the defeat, the performance gives United hope that a place in the final is by no means out of reach, and the Reds will look to take advantage of home support in the second leg on Monday 2 April.

The record Youth Cup crowd was well entertained, with Reds striker Febian Brandy and Arsenal’s Gibbs both going close in the first 45 minutes. In the second half Brandy continued to be a real nuisance to the Arsenal defence. The forward headed narrowly over after a cross from his strike-partner Chris Fagan crowd.

Approaching the hour mark both teams went close with long ranger efforts, first from United midfielder Danny Drinkwater, then from Arsenal’s Nacer Barazite. A draw seemed likely until Gibbs came up with an unstoppable shot on 58 minutes that Reds goalkeeper Ben Amos could do little about.

Both sides hit the woodwork late on with strikes from Arsenal's Rhys Murphy and United's Danny Welbeck. The Gunners maintained their lead but the tie remains delicately poised for the second leg at Old Trafford.

Fans can pay on the gate for the second leg, which kicks off at 19:00 GMT. Tickets are priced £5 adults and £2 concessions.

United: Amos; R.Eckersley, Chester, Cathcart, Cleverley; Welbeck, Drinkwater, Hewson, Galbraith; Brandy, Fagan.
Subs not used: Zieler, C.Evans, Bryan, Derbyshire. McCormack

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=411014

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
well, I went to the match and, whilst the stadium is wonderful, the footie was decidedly gash. United dominated possession but were hopeless when getting anywhere near the box whilst Arse didn't blow me away but had the best two chances (the goal and a shot against the bar). To be honest it was a rotten game to watch and noone stood out on either side. Both sides were defensively solid and the best players on the pitch were the defenders.