Youth Reports 05/06 & 06/07 & 07/08 seasons

Epic

oskarutd said:
In the team against Rossendale there was 1 player I couldn´t recognize, the number 16, he was big and looked kinda like a boxer. He is black. Not Simpson, Burns, N´Galula, Blake or Brandy.
He was shownon the team bench on MUTV.
Do you know whom he is?
Or the new players in u-18?
Obi? :nervous:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
McClair to open N.I. Milk Cup

Former Manchester United and Celtic striker Brian McClair will officially open the 2005 Milk Cup in Coleraine this Sunday (July 31).

Currently Under-18 coach at Old Trafford, McClair was appointed United’s youth academy manager designate earlier this month following the decision of Les Kershaw to retire on reaching 65 at the end of next season.

The former Scottish international will succeed Kershaw next year and will also spend the coming season coaching the U-15 and U-16 teams.

A devoted servant of Manchester United for 11 years, McClair won two FA Cup winners' medals, four League Championships, the European Cup Winners' Cup, and a League Cup winners' medal.

He will lead the parade of 52 teams from Coleraine Town Hall at 7pm on Sunday evening and make his way with other guests to the Welcome Ceremony at the Showgrounds (7.30pm).

Milk Cup chairman Victor Leonard said: "It is a tremendous privilege for the tournament to welcome Brian and extend our already strong relationship with Manchester United who have been tremendous supporters of the Milk Cup down the years."

McClair turned out for the tournament in its 21st anniversary year in 2003 when he took a coaching session at the launch event in Cultra an event attended by both United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and England international defender Gary Neville.

A Scottish international, McClair was a part of the Scotland squad which went to the European Championships in Sweden in 1992.

The Airdrie-born striker began his career with Aston Villa as an apprentice, but after only 12 months moved to Motherwell in August 1981. There he combined his football with studying mathematics at Glasgow University, where he obtained a degree, and in June 1983 he signed for Celtic in a £75,000 deal.

At Celtic he won a Scottish Cup medal in 1985 and the League Championship in 1986. The following year he was voted Scotland's Player of the Year.

His 99 goals in 145 League games caught the attention of United manager Ferguson who took him to Old Trafford in the summer of 1987 for a fee of £850,000.

Brian McClair was an instant success at Old Trafford and scored 24 goals in his first season becoming the first player since George Best to score over 20 League goals in one season.

After he left United in 1998, McClair had a spell back in Scotland with Motherwell and then became a coach with Brian Kidd at Blackburn Rovers. That didn't work out as Rovers were relegated and both were eventually sacked.

However, in 2001 McClair returned to the Old Trafford fold in the role of Manchester United Reserve team manager and has remained a vital part of the youth coaching staff there.

HKRed

One can only hope that McClair has something to give to the academy, because he's one of the few people I've ever met who I took an INSTANT dislike to. He is a very intelligent man with a personality to match the French.

Let's hope it works for young footballers, because it does nothing for club's image.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
HKRed said:
Let's hope it works for young footballers, because it does nothing for club's image.
i beg to differ, dude

Epic

Eagles Tipped To Learn From Owls Spell

Reserves boss Ricky Sbragia is confident Chris Eagles will benefit from his five-month loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday.

The 19-year-old winger has joined Paul Sturrock's Owls until the end of the year, and Sbragia feels regular first-team action will do Eagles no harm at all.

Ricky told ManUtd.com: "I think it'll be a good football education for him. In my opinion he's past the Reserves now, he needs to play a higher standard of football.

"It'd be nice if he'd gone to the Premiership but that didn't happen, but I think he'll play more Championship games and that's important for him.

"It's another level and another way of football. He's going to play in their first-team, which is important for us, and for him to play that standard of football is good for his education."

Sbragia is hoping Eagles will follow the lead of fellow youngster Kieran Richardson, who has forced himself into Sir Alex Ferguson's plans after a successful spell at West Brom towards the end of last season.

Ricky said: "You'd hope maybe Chris and Jonathan [Spector, who is on a season-long loan at Charlton] replicate the Kieran Richardson situation. They'll get a taste of action and they'll want more.

"I think they can play too much in the Reserves and get a bit stale. Jonathan had Reserve football at the back end of last season and he's past that stage now, he has to play.

"You'd hope maybe he'll learn from the Charlton experience, and Chris from Sheffield Wednesday, and then come back hungrier. Obviously they'll get more games under their belt and they'll be looking to push into the first-team. Time will tell for them."

With a glut of talent rising through the United ranks, Sbragia admitted that loan spells are often the answer for young players who are in a limbo state between Reserve and first-team football.

He said: "I think once you've had a taste of Reserve football you're ready for the change and a new step up. It's difficult to get in the first team and to play regularly.

"I think Darren Fletcher's the last one to really bridge that gap and the thinking now is that if they don't make the step up then they need to go out on loan. I think it's important to go out and learn a little bit.

"Maybe we spoil them here a little bit with the facilities, they need to go out and see the other side of football. The important thing for me though is that they go out and play first-team football."

HKRed

Elliott said:
i beg to differ, dude
So, any substance behind your difference of opinion? or do you just have a nostalgic streak remembering McLair in a dodgy blue shirt scoring a few important winners for United?

I remember him from then too with nothing but admiration, but having met the man twice I can't say I found him to be too endearing.

bayaoas

oskarutd said:
In the team against Rossendale there was 1 player I couldn´t recognize, the number 16, he was big and looked kinda like a boxer. He is black. Not Simpson, Burns, N´Galula, Blake or Brandy.
He was shownon the team bench on MUTV.
Do you know whom he is?
Or the new players in u-18?
Possibly Adrian Bellamy or Reuben Reid

bayaoas

Milk Cup squad

1. Ron-Robert Zieler 2. David Gray 3. Kieran Lee 4. Craig Cathcart 5. Jonathan Evans 6. Daniel Rose 7. Jamie Mullan 8. Sam Hewson 9. Febian Brandy 10. Christopher Fagan 11. Richard Eckersley 12. James Chester 13 .Benjamin Amos 14. Thomas Cleverley 15. Adrian Bellamy 16. Reuben Reid 1 7. James Derbyshire 18. Antonio Bryan

Epic

bayaoas said:
Milk Cup squad

1. Ron-Robert Zieler 2. David Gray 3. Kieran Lee 4. Craig Cathcart 5. Jonathan Evans 6. Daniel Rose 7. Jamie Mullan 8. Sam Hewson 9. Febian Brandy 10. Christopher Fagan 11. Richard Eckersley 12. James Chester 13 .Benjamin Amos 14. Thomas Cleverley 15. Adrian Bellamy 16. Reuben Reid 1 7. James Derbyshire 18. Antonio Bryan
Brandy scored two goals in the first game, BOTH overhead kicks :eek:

bayaoas

United won 3-0 over Jomo Cosmos

Attacking midfielder Sam Hewson scored twice from the spot and Daniel Rose got the third.

oskarutd

bayaoas said:
Milk Cup squad

Where is Michael Nardiello? Is he injured?

bayaoas

From http://www.nimilkcup.org/app/default.asp

Cherry Orchard v Manchester United Score: 0-3
When: 5:00PM, 03 August 2005 Where: Ballymena Showgrounds

Manchester Utd made it safely through to the Semi Finals with a three goal victory over Cherry Orchard. Febian Brandy opened the scoring and Reuben Reid and Jonathan Evans completed the victory.

BezsMaracas

seen a few highlights of the milk cup games and brandy looks shit hot. a real class act in the making it seems. i assumed it was all hype having heard about him years ago, seems its not all talk, he looks a real exciting prospect.

golden_blunder

Staff
saw some of the highlights on the local news

2 things pleased me tonight, the United win - Fabien Brandy scored a cracker, strength and a good powerful shot

NI beat Brazil 2-0!! We're in the final against the US team now

Danish Wizard

United against Barca in the semi.. Looks like it will be a very good match, between the best youth teams in Europe..!

bayaoas

United lost 2-1 to Barcelona. Hewson got United's consolation with a shot from around 25 yards out.

oskarutd

Reserves 3-1 winners last night

Team: Heaton
Picken McShane Shawcross Eckersley
Heath N´Galula Martin
Cooper Timm
Subsitutes:
Burns, Campell and Ebanks-Blake.
17 players used.
Scorers:
Martin, Eckersley (p), Burns.

Ebanks-Blake is back!

Zeppo

oskarutd said:
Team: Heaton
Picken McShane Shawcross Eckersley
Heath N´Galula Martin
Cooper Timm
Subsitutes:
Burns, Campell and Ebanks-Blake.
17 players used.
Scorers:
Martin, Eckersley (p), Burns.

Ebanks-Blake is back!
Against which opponent?

Number7

Ret's Slave
Rossi is too good to be playing in our reserves this season in my opinion. I followed our reserves all last season and most of the time the level of football didn't look a challenge for him. I reckon we should loan him out this season to either a championship or premiership club. Most of our other decent reserves have gone out on loan such as Spector and Jones...

golden_blunder

Staff
Number7 said:
Most of our other decent reserves have gone out on loan such as Spector and Jones...
Which makes me think hes going to have a few chances this year in the first team

greent

Brandy's movement reminds me alot like Rossi's, great goals he scored. Anyone know if he's being tipped to move up the ranks quicker than the rest?

Danish Wizard

greent said:
Brandy's movement reminds me alot like Rossi's, great goals he scored. Anyone know if he's being tipped to move up the ranks quicker than the rest?
I don't think so. The club usually keeps the players in the u-18 and then let them get a reserve game now and then. They are doing this, so that they don't rush the young players development too much.

oskarutd

greent said:
His size is enough to hold him back a little, but what a talent! It´s been fun following him since he was 13, but finally we can see him regulary on MUTV.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
oskarutd said:
His size is enough to hold him back a little, but what a talent! It´s been fun following him since he was 13, but finally we can see him regulary on MUTV.
can you describe him a little bit more? and are there some other talents (u-18 or younger) we will hear soon? thanks

oskarutd

Michel04 said:
can you describe him a little bit more? and are there some other talents (u-18 or younger) we will hear soon? thanks
He is small, but very strong, quick feets and can easily beat defenders.
Captain Sam Hewson is reported a big talent.
But Brandy is the one the fans have highest hopes for.

red thru&thru

frazier campbell will be next seasons brightest player in the reserves.

the unkown star that will shine shall i say.

the usual suspects will be there martin, rossi, pique, n'galula, blake.

oskarutd

Does anyone have info on the u-18 friendly match against Charlton today?
We won 5-1 Gibson pen after Brandy was brought down and an own goal. Plus a hatrick by the man himself, Fabien Brandy.
Source: MUTV

miah

Line up for today reserves team against Bolton if anyone's interested.

Heaton
Phil Picken
Phil Bardsley
Pique
Wes Brown (errr...not used to his hairstyle)
Ritchie Jones
Colin Heath
Alan Smith
Kenny Copper
Lee Martin (scored a hattrick the last time they played against bolton)
Giuseppe Rossi.

Bench
NGalula
Tommy Lee
Jon Evans
Fraizer Campbell
Darren Gibson

Red17

2-0! Heath scores after a passage of nice one touch play with some excellent movements between the Smith, Martin & Rossi.

Epic

what is Heath still doing at United? :eek: He's like way too old to be playing reserve football, will never ever make it at United