Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't want him. His Madrid side often left me wondering how they won games.

Dominos

No other choice? What nonsense. That's the kind of moronic mindset that lead to Mourinho being hired just because your rivals were snatching up the other big names and he was the only massive name available despite having shown to be way past it.
Which other credible options are available right now?

Mourinho had just won the premier league 12 months before we hired him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Mourinho has also been sacked after losing his shit once again

the_cliff

True, but also just off his worst season in his career as manager.

Tbf to Mourinho he also downed tools himself in his last season with us, everyone and their dog knew he was trying to get the sack and he's still statistically better than Ole is right now.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

Good managers are rarely unemployed in midseason, so the concept of using an interim until summer must of course be part of your arsenal. I'm not saying Zidane is not a credible option (though I would predict him to be a huge flop, but that's for another day), but of course there's loads of other options.

Ollie Derbyshire

I’m not sure on Zidane, something doesn’t fill me with confidence, if he does come I at least hope he raises expectations on player performance and picks players on merit.

Dominos

Mourinho has also been sacked after losing his shit once again
Yes, he's a volatile character who is liable to fall out with his players after a period of great success. However the key part was he was still delivering success before it all went sour in the dressing room. We took that risk, and we didn't get the great success we were hoping for. I don't think it would have been a credible opinion at the time that he was completely done at the top level given he'd just won the league title we were trying to win ourselves. Sometimes managerial appointments don't work out, all you can do is make decisions that have some rationale and logic to them. Moyes and Ole being United manager never had even an ounce of logic or rationale, they're the appointments that frustrate me to this day.

Cassidy

Yes, he's a volatile character who is liable to fall out with his players after a period of great success. However the key part was he was still delivering success before it all went sour in the dressing room. We took that risk, and we didn't get the great success we were hoping for. I don't think it would have been a credible opinion at the time that he was completely done at the top level given he'd just won the league title we were trying to win ourselves. Sometimes managerial appointments don't work out, all you can do is make decisions that have some rationale and logic to them. Moyes and Ole being United manager never had even an ounce of logic or rationale, they're the appointments that frustrate me to this day.
It was clear he was on the decline to those who bothered to notice, and it started before that stint at Chelsea

Dominos

Good managers are rarely unemployed in midseason, so the concept of using an interim until summer must of course be part of your arsenal. I'm not saying Zidane is not a credible option (though I would predict him to be a huge flop, but that's for another day), but of course there's loads of other options.
Yes I agree an interim until the summer is a fine option.

However in terms of permanent appointments we could make tomorrow, I can definitely see how someone could say he's the only credible option.

Ultimately I don't even think Zidane is an option, very unlikely he cuts short his break to take over this mess we've got ourselves into.

Dominos

It was clear he was on the decline to those who bothered to notice, and it started before that stint at Chelsea
Not being as dominant as he once was and being completely done at the top level are quite different though. I don't think it was ridiculous for us to take a chance on him, we needed better transfer dealings which held us back and we were somewhat unfortunate our team peaked at the same time City broke the points record with 100 points so we never really got anywhere near when we could have in certain other seasons.

Cassidy

Not being as dominant as he once was and being completely done at the top level are quite different though. I don't think it was ridiculous for us to take a chance on him, we needed better transfer dealings which held us back and we were somewhat unfortunate our team peaked at the same time City broke the points record with 100 points so we never really got anywhere near when we could have in certain other seasons.
It was ridiculous given what we needed and many said so at the time. Especially when we had Rashford and Martial on our hands. Was very stupid

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It was an astonishingly, unbelievably dumb appointment, if you consider that you had hired Van Gaal before with the plan to lay some kind of reformative foundations based on ball possession and so on, and then you sack him for Mourinho who then actually publicly states that he now must get rid of all the wrong instincts van Gaal instilled into the players..
Now that's some next level incompetence in terms of football direction and squad building. An actual knee-jerk based, deer-in-the-headlights decision on the board level of a football club of world renown, just wow. The notion that "Zidane is the only credible option" has a very similar vibe (not that Zidane is in any way like Mourinho, mind you).

And that's just part of it, on top then comes that everyone could see the toxic mess it would decolve into in no time, the treatment of Mkhitaryan, Shaw, Rashford, Pogba, then Bailly and Lindelof, throwing the bench players and youngsters under the bus, the Alexis Sanchez fiasco, fighting his own signings, the Sevilla pedigree farce, what a fecking nightmare of an appointment it was.

Cassidy

It was an astonishingly, unbelievably dumb appointment, if you consider that you had hired Van Gaal before with the plan to lay some kind of reformative foundations based on ball possession and so on, and then you sack him for Mourinho who then actually publicly states that he now must get rid of all the wrong instincts van Gaal instilled into the players..
Now that's some next level incompetence in terms of football direction and squad building.

And that's just part of it, on top then comes that everyone could see the toxic mess it would decolve into in no time, the treatment of Mkhitaryan, Shaw, Rashford, Pogba, then Bailly and Lindelof, throwing the bench players and youngsters under the bus, the Alexis Sanchez fiasco, fighting his own signings, the Sevilla pedigree farce, what a fecking nightmare of an appointment it was.
Pretty much

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That Rudy geezer is a bullshitter I think. I mean that tweet itself sounds like a load of nonsense

RedorDead21

I’m not sure on Zidane, something doesn’t fill me with confidence, if he does come I at least hope he raises expectations on player performance and picks players on merit.
you’ll know after 1month of Zidane. Don’t think he’s known for a certain style or tactical approach. CV proves he can galvanise a team from a great squad though.

hungrywing

:lol: Exactly what I was thinking.
And who wouldn't think such, providing they had even half a brain cell.

On the other hand, one supposes it's possible, the guy is a journo(?) and maybe an old contact from Ronaldo's time in Italy let it 'slip' with strict instructions on provenance, etc.

Whats a chicken got to do with this?
I don't speak emoji. That being said: everything. :winkemoji

Ollie Derbyshire

you’ll know after 1month of Zidane. Don’t think he’s known for a certain style or tactical approach. CV proves he can galvanise a team from a great squad though.
CV is only a great Madrid team though right? We don’t have the same calibre of players. Can he make players better.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I just have a very bad feeling about Zidan
No excuses for the next manager. We have one of the worst managers in the PL.

If Ole can get this squad to 2nd a new manager should be winning major trophies.

foolsgold

CV is only a great Madrid team though right? We don’t have the same calibre of players. Can he make players better.
We really do though. We're loaded with top class international players.

We finished 2nd last year, and added Varne, Sancho & Ronaldo. There's very little wrong with the squad that a top class manager can't fix.

TheLord

It is very difficult to argue against a manager who has so many CL titles; it is almost impossible to do that without being mocked!

But I am not sold on the idea that Zidane is capable of the enormous re-building task required at United.

But he will be miles better than Ole, without any doubt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We really do though. We're loaded with top class international players.

We finished 2nd last year, and added Varne, Sancho & Ronaldo. There's very little wrong with the squad that a top class manager can't fix.
And he didn't had a team loaded with top class internationals during his second stint, that team is not better than ours.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Forgive me if the answer is already in the thread: does Zidane have his own coaching staff etc. Or did he just work with what Madrid had there during his two stints?

Godfather

Forgive me if the answer is already in the thread: does Zidane have his own coaching staff etc. Or did he just work with what Madrid had there during his two stints?
That's a good question. Can anyone enlighten us here? With the same coaching staff we are fecked

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
People having doubts about a man who won the champions League 3 times on the trot :houllier:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He has a core made of Bettoni and Msaidie but he has brought two different physios at Madrid, Pintus in 2016 and Dupont in 2019, who was working the french national team.

AaronRedDevil

Really hope we get him. There's literally no other good option and we can't take anymore chance's. Even if be doesn't want to come here. They could convince him to do just one season and let him off for the France job after the next WC.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He has a core made of Bettoni and Msaidie but he has brought two different physios at Madrid, Pintus in 2016 and Dupont in 2019, who was working the french national team.
Did he bring those coaches into Madrid or were they already there?

If he came here, would he have his own staff brought in en masse?