g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
People don't know that he was a consultant for the president and then worked with the DOF, they also don't know that he studied football management. On paper Zidane is one of the few that has an understanding of that side of things. I actually think that he will end up in that role for you at some point.
Yup, I think it helped a lot he knew the insides of the club very well and the players as well, he was even key to get some of them. People can have legitimate doubts about him replicating something similar with a different club but he was very much involved in taking Real Madrid back to success. I'm really curious about what he could do in a different club but he has also shown to be someone with a lot of integrity so he won't take the job if he doesn't believe he has realistic chances of succeeding, or that's what I think if it's true he's rejecting the job as Manchester United manager; he doesn't know the club and it seems a complete mess in terms of how it has been ran in recent years. It's very uncertain what he could do but maybe he would be more prone next season or with a little more planning beforehand.

Dominos

Same, but I said the same about Pep after Barca so what the feck do I know?

All I know is he’s managed one team, who happened to be the best in Europe, and they won the European cup. At least he isn’t an underachiever, but what the hell is he going to do with this shitshow?

I won’t comment on his coaching ability/tactical knowledge because I have no idea. I just hope he has some and isn’t the pure man-manager some say he is.
It's a top 4 team that has just added Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho.

If a competent manager had been in charge at the start of the season we'd be a few points off top maximum and still in a title race. Lack of quality in certain positions may have cost us in the end in just falling short of the title, but we cannot understate how bad a job Ole is doing with this team. He's added 3 top players to the 2nd placed team last season and has them playing like relegation fodder ever game.

Ultimately this is not a great scenario to walk into, terrible position in the league and players low on confidence, so the best we can hope for is rescuing 4th. But it's a good squad and he'll be given money to spend in the transfer window providing he rescues top 4.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Imo respectfully you're using the wrong parameters to judge managers. Respect, high pressure aren't the right parameters, just like Ole being a nice guy, liked by the team and gets on with the board aren't the right ones. We should be focusing on:

Style of play
Squad building ability / cutting players that don't work
Coaching ability
Tactical Flexibility
And then man management

Essentially what Liverpool got in Klopp
These four things are thing that Zidane has, he also has a style of play but it's pointless to mention it. Now the second one is very important because none of the head coaches that people want actually have experience when it comes to team building, at the exception of one which is Zidane, he is the only that has actually worked as an executive and as an assistant DOF. The others have worked with DOFs who were the ones building teams.

marktan

These four things are thing that Zidane has, he also has a style of play but it's pointless to mention it. Now the second one is very important because none of the head coaches that people want actually have experience when it comes to team building, at the exception of one which is Zidane, he is the only that has actually worked as an executive and as an assistant DOF. The others have worked with DOFs who were the ones building teams.
What squad building did he do at Real? Look at the players he purchased, it doesn't make for pretty reading https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zinedine-zidane/spielertransfers/trainer/21284

Im not hating on the guy but I'm skeptical how much coaching or tactical ability really goes into playing that team he had in their primes in a 4-3-3. Hell I think even Ole would struggle to screw that up. As ive said he could turn out good but hes massively risky for is.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Never built a squad, had one of the greatest squads in history at his disposal, this guy is probably the most risky coach we could sign. At least Pep had a way of playing, Zidane doesn't even have that.

Bet the Glazers give him a 5 year contact and wait another 3 years just because he's a big name. And so the merry-go-round continues
Never seen a more horrible take.

Literally won La Liga with a team that struggled to get 70 points without him.

With no proper attacking threat other than Benzema.

And then made a UCL semis (beating Liverpool with ease on the way) + kept the title race alive to the final matchday with 60+ injuries.

Also "erp derp greatest squad" isn't an argument. This is real life, you are not playing football manager. Bang average managers don't win 3 CLs, they get sacked within 6 month at clubs like Madrid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What squad building did he do at Real? Look at the players he purchased, it doesn't make for pretty reading https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zinedine-zidane/spielertransfers/trainer/21284

Im not hating on the guy but I'm skeptical how much coaching or tactical ability really goes into playing that team he had in their primes in a 4-3-3. Hell I think even Ole would struggle to screw that up. As ive said he could turn out good but hes massively risky for is.
He was involved in recruitment for about a decade, played key role in signing Varane.

Idxomer

They had Benitez who's much better than Ole and he did screw that.

Casemiro wasn't used much before Zidane came on and he did turn into one of the best defensive midfielders in the game under him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Zidane has been in Real Madrid's back office since 2009, he was named first team director of football in 2011 working with the director general Jorge Valdano.

Adamsk7

Even though I’m not necessarily sure on his managerial prowess despite his success, one thing is for sure, he will definitely attract the best players.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Even though I’m not necessarily sure on his managerial prowess despite his success, one thing is for sure, he will definitely attract the best players.
What does he need to prove to you?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ole had no problem doing that. Oles previous managerial experience was getting relegated with Cardiff.

Luckily Zidane has been incredibly successful as a manager.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Personally I’d take Zidane tomorrow. He’s the only one available and would cost nothing compared to Rogers and Ten Haag (comp fees). Plus he’s won 3 UCL’s and it’s his time to prove the doubters wrong, what best place to do it than at United where the only way is up from here on out. (Can’t see it getting any worse under Zidane that’s for sure)

Cloud7

While I believe Ten Haag is my favored choice for the long term, in terms of managers we can get in now and who I think will hit the ground running, no one excites me as much as Zidane

mu4c_20le

Ole had no problem doing that. Oles previous managerial experience was getting relegated with Cardiff.

Luckily Zidane has been incredibly successful as a manager.
And Lampard's experience was bottling promotion with Derby, he had no problem attracting 200m of talent that summer.

Drizzle

There's something about Zidane that worries me. He doesn't want to be here. He may come, but he doesn't honestly deep down want to be here.

The managerial equivalent of Di Maria.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
No choice is without risks. Look at what people were saying with Tuchel and Chelsea. But sometimes you over think it. If Zidane is free you do everything you can to get him in, that's said if he wants to. Big name, big club, big players, I don't know why you wouldn't want to come for at least 18 months.

bosnian_red

I'd definitely take Ten Hag, Mancini or Luis Enrique over Zidane personally... I don't necessarily think they'd all do better this season and next season, but I think they would do really well and be here for longer. But, I don't think we are going to get either of those 3, and Zidane is still an excellent choice especially for this squad. So I'm all for it.

Miles better than some garbage like Rodgers.

Dominos

Other sources are starting to mention United's attempts to lure Zidane now. They could all be piggybacking on fabricated Castles stories, or he was right and we're doing our best to convince him.

Ultimately, he'll probably turn us down. He knows it's likely he will get a big club/international offer eventually in better circumstances than what we're offering. He'd be walking into a complete mess to try rescue top 4, mid-season.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Other sources are starting to mention United's attempts to lure Zidane now. They could all be piggybacking on fabricated Castles stories, or he was right and we're doing our best to convince him.

Ultimately, he'll probably turn us down. He knows it's likely he will get a big club/international offer eventually in better circumstances than what we're offering. He'd be walking into a complete mess to try rescue top 4, mid-season.
Top 4 is salvageable right now but lose to Chelsea and it’s game over.
We need a good run of games now and a new manager bounce may just do that, hopefully it’s with Zidane and not Rogers.

redshaw

Zidane is the type who could really click with the club once here, he could help solve a lot on and off the pitch. But even if it's just to the end of the season I'd take it He might still want to live and work elsewhere but as a football man I feel he's just the man we need right now.

TheLiverBird

I'd definitely take Ten Hag, Mancini or Luis Enrique over Zidane personally... I don't necessarily think they'd all do better this season and next season, but I think they would do really well and be here for longer. But, I don't think we are going to get either of those 3, and Zidane is still an excellent choice especially for this squad. So I'm all for it.

Miles better than some garbage like Rodgers.
Why would you definitely take those managers over Zidane?

Genuine Question?

Style?

Adamsk7

What does he need to prove to you?
I mean obviously on the face of it it seems stupid for me to say however I think he inherited a great team with one of (if not the) greatest players of all time at his best. It’s hard to know how much of it was his masterful managerial ability or how much was just right place, right time. I also remember that despite the success, quite a few Madrid fans were saying they weren’t playing great football during that period.

Obviously he’s gonna be much better than Ole though and like I did say, will bring a healthy amount of gravitas to the club so I’m not against it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
While I believe Ten Haag is my favored choice for the long term, in terms of managers we can get in now and who I think will hit the ground running, no one excites me as much as Zidane
I completely agree with this. Obviously Zidane has other goals in mind than managing United, and I don't know how you can do the logistics of a short-term deal, but because he has other plans, he's not a solid long-term option, however as far as getting the best out of the current squad and steering the ship in the right direction, I don't think it gets any better than Zidane. If Ten Hag does become available eventually, it could work out perfectly for a transition post Qatar 2022. Zidane finally takes over for Deschamps, and Ten Hag takes over United.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’ll join, we’ll all enjoy it as we think he’s only a caretaker. Then we realize when the season has ended and this guy has a trophy - wait, who’s actually better out there?

Get used to him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I completely agree with this. Obviously Zidane has other goals in mind than managing United, and I don't know how you can do the logistics of a short-term deal, but because he has other plans, he's not a solid long-term option, however as far as getting the best out of the current squad and steering the ship in the right direction, I don't think it gets any better than Zidane. If Ten Hag does become available eventually, it could work out perfectly for a transition post Qatar 2022. Zidane finally takes over for Deschamps, and Ten Hag takes over United.
Why would Zidane bother with all the hassle if it's only until next summer? No way in hell. He can just as well hang around until then and enjoy some time with his family.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why would Zidane bother with all the hassle if it's only until next summer? No way in hell. He can just as well hang around until then and enjoy some time with his family.
I didn't say that's what was going to happen, I just said that's what would work out best for United.

Zidane's done plenty of hanging out with his family, and he's in no rush to stop. Money does talk however, but I don't think enough to stop him from getting the opportunity to manage France next. It's not impossible to come to some kind of understanding and laying the tracks for the next manager, but I agree it's extremely unlikely.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I didn't say that's what was going to happen, I just said that's what would work out best for United.

Zidane's done plenty of hanging out with his family, and he's in no rush to stop. Money does talk however, but I don't think enough to stop him from getting the opportunity to manage France next. It's not impossible to come to some kind of understanding and laying the tracks for the next manager, but I agree it's extremely unlikely.
Oh ok fair enough. I agree with that.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Im going to have to root against one of my favorite players if this happens. Terrible choice

bosnian_red

Why would you definitely take those managers over Zidane?

Genuine Question?

Style?
Eh Idk, more just a gut thing. I think they're all excellent managers (as is Zidane) but I think Zidane is just waiting for the France job more than anything. Still think he'd do well for however long he stayed.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He’ll join, we’ll all enjoy it as we think he’s only a caretaker. Then we realize when the season has ended and this guy has a trophy - wait, who’s actually better out there?

Get used to him.
Why would he take a job as a caretaker?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not sure why everyone thinks he would be a terrible choice. He is obviously a decent manager and also has experience as a sporting director at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

He wouldn't be my first choice, mainly as I dont like his style of football. However Im pretty sure he would make this squad of players very competitive.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Probably the right choice now. We have big players with big ego's that aren't going anywhere and ZZ can manage that. A project manager is not the right choice with the players we have.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Get used to him.
God I hope you’re right.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No other choice? What nonsense. That's the kind of moronic mindset that lead to Mourinho being hired just because your rivals were snatching up the other big names and he was the only massive name available despite having shown to be way past it.