Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did he bring those coaches into Madrid or were they already there?

If he came here, would he have his own staff brought in en masse?
He brought them, the first two are friends, Pintus was at Juventus in the 90s and I don't know why he picked Dupont. And I assume that Bettoni and Msaidie will follow him wherever he goes.

JPRouve

Scout
Zidane had a ready-made team full of superstars, albeit underperforming, in their peaks of their careers. I don't think the same applies to United.
He was one of the people building that ready made team, it was his former job.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He brought them, the first two are friends, Pintus was at Juventus in the 90s and I don't know why he picked Dupont. And I assume that Bettoni and Msaidie will follow him wherever he goes.
Oh ok, cool. Are those currently unemployed?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Zidane had a ready-made team full of superstars, albeit underperforming, in their peaks of their careers. I don't think the same applies to United.
Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, De Gea, Cavani, Varane, Maguire* and Shaw**

We’re hardly Newcastle. A top manager can shape this team into something exciting and formidable. Zidane + a midfield signing in January and we could be dark horses for the champions league, just look at Tuchel at Chelsea.

* **horrible form this season but bother we’re fantastic last season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Did he bring those coaches into Madrid or were they already there?

If he came here, would he have his own staff brought in en masse?
No, they're his staff. Yes i imagine he would bring his staff with him

It's unfortunate he had a falling out with Pintus btw, as Dupont didn't impress in madrid(whereas Pintus is a bloody genius...Conte snapped him up for inter as soon as he left us, and they won the league...)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Pintus was rehired by Ancelotti, Msaidie is still at Madrid but his contract ends this summer and Bettoni left.
Pintus was rehired because the players, the president and the tea lady wanted him back, because he's exceptional. He was kind of imposed on Ancelotti actually, whose son does the same job...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pintus was rehired by Ancelotti, Msaidie is still at Madrid but his contract ends this summer and Bettoni left.
Ok. Thanks!
No, they're his staff. Yes i imagine he would bring his staff with him

It's unfortunate he had a falling out with Pintus btw, as Dupont didn't impress in madrid(whereas Pintus is a bloody genius...Conte snapped him up for inter as soon as he left us, and they won the league...)
Ah balls, so the main coach is at odds with Zizou and not likely to come if we manage to hire him?

How likely is it Madrid let their guy go early without heavy reimbursement for early severance?

JPRouve

Scout
Pintus was rehired because the players, the president and the tea lady wanted him back, because he's exceptional. He was kind of imposed on Ancelotti actually, whose son does the same job...
I know, he was a club and fan favorite. I knew about him at Juventus, iirc he was one of the elite coaches that were in Serie B with Deschamps?

Also what are these stories about Msaidie also being adored, is he going to be extended?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
At least he won't smile too much, infact he rarely smiles. He will be much harder on the players too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I know, he was a club and fan favorite. I knew about him at Juventus, iirc he was one of the elite coaches that were in Serie B with Deschamps?

Also what are these stories about Msaidie also being adored, is he going to be extended?
Depends on him, the players like him a lot, but i think if Zidane gets a new job and calls him he goes

Don't know if the club wants to extend him or not though

@Fortitude there is no chance of us letting him leave of our own will. But if he wants to leave, it'd make no sense to keep him. Thing is, he and Zidane had a fight, that's why he left in the first place back in 2019 and Zizou had to bring in Dupont

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Depends on him, the players like him a lot, but i think if Zidane gets a new job and calls him he goes

Don't know if the club wants to extend him or not though

@Fortitude there is no chance of us letting him leave of our own will. But if he wants to leave, it'd make no sense to keep him. Thing is, he and Zidane had a fight, that's why he left in the first place back in 2019 and Zizou had to bring in Dupont
Ok. Doesn't sound good or redeemable, unfortunately for us (supposing we hire Zidane), but thanks for the info.

daveskimufc

What squad building did he do at Real? Look at the players he purchased, it doesn't make for pretty reading https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zinedine-zidane/spielertransfers/trainer/21284

Im not hating on the guy but I'm skeptical how much coaching or tactical ability really goes into playing that team he had in their primes in a 4-3-3. Hell I think even Ole would struggle to screw that up. As ive said he could turn out good but hes massively risky for is.
I have the same thoughts. Yes he won 3 CLs, but his players were exceptional. I dont doubt he has the ability, but who has he actually coached to be better. (Genuine question since I dont watch Spanish league)
And this info on his transfers is tragic.

JPRouve

Scout
I have the same thoughts. Yes he won 3 CLs, but his players were exceptional. I dont doubt he has the ability, but who has he actually coached to be better. (Genuine question since I dont watch Spanish league)
You can peak whoever you want from Casemiro, Mendy, Carvajal, Vinicius, Isco, Asensio, Varane, Benzema, Vasquez and even Kroos. Also Zidane work goes beyond the 3 CLs, he didn't had an exceptional group between 2019-2021.

the_cliff

Well tbh just everyone apart from Ronaldo, especially judging by the fact when Zidane/Ronaldo left they had to sack the new manager (and the one after him) because of poor performances.

Then Zidane came back in with the same squad and won the league.

Also adding to the above post Modric definitely improved, he won the Balon Dor with Zidane. Marcelo also had the best spell of his career under Zidane.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Zidane is not really responsible for transfers at Real Madrid as manager and this transfer list is misleading.

For example, Luka Jovic and Eder Militao appear on that list. Zidane re-joined Real Madrid in March 11 2019. Eder Militao was reported to sign for Real Madrid in January 2019, and the official announcement happened on March 19th, just a week after Zidane rejoined. He obviously had nothing to do with that. Jovic was being scouted since before Zidane re-joined and according to reports at the time, the club had decided to sign him in April 2019, before they'd actually met with Zidane to discuss what next season's squad was supposed to look like.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When Pep left Barca, would people argue "he only managed stars at Barca. Do not want!!"?

So we're looking for a manager profile that good at smaller club, and fail at big club, like Thucel before Chelsea?

Last edited:

Ollie Derbyshire

We really do though. We're loaded with top class international players.

We finished 2nd last year, and added Varne, Sancho & Ronaldo. There's very little wrong with the squad that a top class manager can't fix.
Defence and midfield is very poor currently, he’ll have to be able to get the back 4 sorted.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It sounds like we are waiting until the summer right?

Hopefully that means we can go for Zidane or Ten Hag.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Obviously us rival supporters want Carrick to get united back where they belong amongst the elite clubs for the rest of the season and then sign a fresh 3 yr contract. I wonder is there any chance the board do sign him up if he has a remarkable turn around? Please?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It sounds like we are waiting until the summer right?

Hopefully that means we can go for Zidane or Ten Hag.
Or, the interim manager (if not Carrick) will come in and have a clause where it becomes permanent if he gets top 4, or wins a cup. So i wouldnt say it suggests your target is only available in the summer.

Because No one employed would surely walk out of a job to take over for 6-7 months, they'd want some sort of assurances at the end. Not only that, i cant think of anyone out of work that is available, so maybe Carrick keeps it until summer.

the_cliff

When Pep left Barca, would people argue "he only managed stars at Barca. Do not want!!"?

So we're looking for a manager profile that good at smaller club, and fail at big club, like Thucel before Chelsea?
It's ridiculous :lol:
The funny thing is we're being linked to Lopetegui who failed with the exact same team Zidane was successful with.

TheLiverBird

He won 3 CL’s in a row purely because his players were exceptional???

Please, come on, you realise how ridiculous and moronic that sounds?

Pep arguably had a better/greater squad filled with World beaters beyond belief in every position during his time at Barca….where’s his 3 CL wins in a row?

He’s got a world beating team at Man City right now too…where’s his 3 CL’s in a row?

Ole had world class stars to play with at United especially this season, your squad is literally insane….how’s that panned out?

Exceptional players still need managing, they need their egos to be controlled or challenged, Zidane did that impeccably at Madrid. It’s not about style, it’s about winning and he won 2 league titles and 3 CL’s.

He knows how to manage big time players

Cardozo

Zidane has no affiliation with Man Utd and never showed any interest in playing in England. I don't see this ever happening.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Zidane has no affiliation with Man Utd and never showed any interest in playing in England. I don't see this ever happening.
So we can only hire managers with an affiliation with the club?

2 of his former UCL winning players now play for United by the way

Remember the geese

Not sure why people believe this is still happening. The club are committing to an interim until the end of the season. Why would Zidane be more likely in the summer? He either wants it now, or not at all. I'd rather not indulge him.

Cardozo

Your reasoning didnt make much sense
Makes sense to me... :D

This is a complete non starter. Why would Zidane ever come to manage Manchester United? I just can't see it.

He's never shown any love for the English game, England in general and it's arguably the most toxic job in football at the moment.

superdry

touched by a genius
A guy I played rugby with spent some time playing in France. He told me about the time he had a chat with Zidane, he said he was interested in England .....:smirk:.and Liverpool.

dinostar77

Not sure why people believe this is still happening. The club are committing to an interim until the end of the season. Why would Zidane be more likely in the summer? He either wants it now, or not at all. I'd rather not indulge him.
Maybe his missus will change her mind about living in uk by then and he will have learnt english?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Apprantly he promised his wife a year off. Make of that what you will.

Cloud7

People argue this point on here literally everytime Pep gets mentioned, and it's just as stupid as the people that bring it up as some kind of point against Zidane

TheLiverBird

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he's got no interest in the slightest coming here.
We can only speculate but it would certainly seem that way this far.

Some might say it’s Man Utd, of course he’ll want to come, yet there’s no reputable reports suggesting it’s close in any way shape or form.

Zidane is a Great as a player, won everything, played for the biggest of clubs, earnt a shed load of dosh, and won everything as a manager.

Hes never had an interest by all accounts in coming to England, a down in the dumps Man Utd is hardly going to make him spring for the chance, regardless to the fact Utd are still one of the worlds biggest Clubs, he’s been there and done it at equally bigger Clubs, it’s not like progression for him. But it is a challenge, does he want or need it, I don’t think he needs it.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I'll be surprised if Zidane is interested in the Utd job.

If enough cash is offered, you never know though?