g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan - closing in on joining LA Galaxy (MLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/report-zlatan-ibrahimovic-closing-joining-galaxy-mls/
Report: Zlatan Ibrahimovic closing in on joining Galaxy in MLS

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is in talks to potentially join the L.A. Galaxy in the MLS, according to a report from ESPN.
ESPN’s Jeff Carlisle expanded on Twellman’s reporting, writing that “a source cautioned that a deal isn’t done.”

Ibrahimovic, 36, has been limited by a knee injury and has made only seven appearances with Manchester United in the 2017-18 season.

He retired from the Swedish national team after Euro 2016 having picked up 116 caps and 62 goals for his home country.

Throughout his career, he has played for Juventus, Barcelona, Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and most recently two years with Manchester United

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Well damn. Can’t say I’m surprised but can’t say I saw it coming either.

Knew Ibra’s role would be very limited from now till the end of the season at United but was looking forward to seeing him in the CL and that experience and fire he would have brought.

...if true, I’ll definitely make sure to see him live when the Galaxy come down to face my Whitecaps :]

AgentP

I can see this happening. Would be a good move for all parties. We have Rashford, Martial and Sanchez who can fill in as CF if Lukaku is out.

zenith

Hope it doesn't materialize before the summer. He could be important when the champions League games come around.

prateik

I was really happy I got to see Larsson play for us for 6 months.
Zlatan gave us a great season.
If we were challenging for the league, he wouldve stayed as he hasnt won it before.. but he has no real reason to stay on.. wont be getting too many minutes.

el3mel

Can see it happening personally. Sanchez and Martial can cover the striker position so we don't need him much at the moment.

Good luck for him. One of my favorite players and was great to see him playing and scoring with our shirt.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Sad :(

Had he not been injured, he would have been such a great option to rotate and in Europe as well. Good luck to the big man.

Red_toad

Hope it doesn't materialize before the summer. He could be important when the champions League games come around.
He’s now surplus and isn’t as mobile as he was pre injury. Basically he’s finished at United, so we’re allowing him to leave just like Pigshagger. There would be no situation where he’d be an ‘important’ player for United again.
Best of luck to him, had a very successful United career, shame he got injured. Will pick up a decent retirement boost in the States.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Unfortunately if it were to happen, would have to happen now as the MLS season starts in March. I’m certain Galaxy will want that 2 month period to advertise and bring in as much revenue as possible.

Kinda bummed out about this to be honest. Zlatan’s goal was to come to England to win and even though the league gap is as big as it is, with the addition of Sanchez we really do have a shot at CL so I’m surprised he’s electing to forego that. And as unlikely as it is, you never know how the league will play out either so there’s still an off chance there as well.

meamth

Unfortunately if it were to happen, would have to happen now as the MLS season starts in March. I’m certain Galaxy will want that 2 month period to advertise and bring in as much revenue as possible.

Kinda bummed out about this to be honest. Zlatan’s goal was to come to England to win and even though the league gap is as big as it is, with the addition of Sanchez we really do have a shot at CL so I’m surprised he’s electing to forego that. And as unlikely as it is, you never know how the league will play out either so there’s still an off chance there as well.
What's the point of that No.10 return video if he doesn't accomplish anything before he left?

You're right, with Sane out for a month as well.

Akshay

Staff
I think he wants to play a role in any trophy we win rather than just be along for the ride. If he barely plays between now and May I doubt he'd care that much about what the team won.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not surprised, good deal for all parties. With Sanchez signing we have Martial and Rashford who can play as strikers if needed, so we don't have much use of Zlatan. To add to that he isn't fully fit and he is out of the game for nearly a year (except few mins he played when not fully fit and playing awfully). So it's time to make the move.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
What's the point of that No.10 return video if he doesn't accomplish anything before he left?

It’s why I’m having a tough time understanding this whole situation.

United stripped away the #9 from Martial without informing him and gave it to Ibra. I remember at the time it was a pretty big deal and Anthony was visibly upset purposely-unpurposely showing signs and hints on social media. Especially considering his own brand was/is revolves around the #9 being “AM9”. Everyone thought that meant Zlatan sticks for at least 2 full seasons making such a move but I guess not.

And yea with Sane out, City having been beaten, United getting Sanchez...you never know.

rampo

Do we have adequate cover if he leaves?

I think we will have to revert to 4-3-3 if he leaves as I don't think we have enough cover for the front 4 positions (we will have 6 players for 4 positions - Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard, Rashford) if he leaves. That would leave us very thin and we would be an injury away to barebones

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Even though he recovered well I Think his injury coupled with his age means he has lost his ability to perform at the very top level. He gave us a great season but left it too late in his career to join united.

It’s probably a good move for all parties, we would be getting a player that’s far down the pecking order moved and getting his big wages off the wage bill and Zlatan and LA would be onto a huge money maker.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hopefully the move won't happen until the end of the year as he could come in very handy if we happen to go deep into the CL.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I think he wants to play a role in any trophy we win rather than just be along for the ride. If he barely plays between now and May I doubt he'd care that much about what the team won.
This as well in which case fair play to him

Still a bit disappointing to see him leave like this if the reports are true

Abdullah7

I didn't want it to end this way :(

I would have loved, more for United's sake than him, to get out having an EPL medal to continue his streak in winning a league wherever he played. Plus, that elusive UCL he never won.

Good luck Ibra, I wish we had you earlier in your career. You're a winner and good example to the upcoming generation of what a real United player looked like. that aura that followed him can't be bought or made, it comes naturally with guys like him.

kotha

Disappointed that he couldn't win a league with us.. :( I think he's leaving as we most likely don't have a shot at the league.. Might have used him in the CL I suppose..

He started great last year.. That injury really ruined it.. To come back to peak fitness at his age was a big ask.. Overall though,I'm glad he came to us.. Was a great personality to have in the dressing room and around the club in general.. His winning mentality and never say die attitude hopefully rubbed off on the squad..

Good luck to him,only wish he came to us sooner..

Pacificgi

We're not going to be able to give him regular games to get his match fitness up to get the best out of him so probably a good decision

Kapardin

We'll swap it with an Ozil video in the summer.:)

#10 being vacant is a good sign. Dybala or Ozil please.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Great first season, bad luck with the injury. Always felt like Jose was more invested in him getting well than himself.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Would be disappointing, feel he's not properly gotten over his big injury yet and that he's got more to give us.

Shark

@NotShark
The idea that he'd come back and lead us to the title was always a fairytale and nothing more, even for Zlatan.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Reminder that no one beats father time. Personally not his biggest football fan in the twilight of his career, but a great person & glad he filled a vacancy for us until we grabbed Lukaku. Martial, Sanchez are already better & now its the time to look to the next gen. with Rashford getting more PT, since he's the biggest loser from the Sanchez move.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Unless I’m totally missing the timeline/order of events, this makes no sense whatsoever.

If I recall his injury came first followed by his one year extension. I don’t get why we would extend his contract only to let him go once he is finally recovered?

The only plausible explanation is that the injury has had a greater impact on his performance than we expected otherwise we have extended and paid his contract whilst being injured only to let him go once healthy.

Robertd0803

Unless I’m totally missing the timeline/order of events, this makes no sense whatsoever.

If I recall his injury came first followed by his one year extension. I don’t get why we would extend his contract only to let him go once he is finally recovered?

The only plausible explanation is that the injury has had a greater impact on his performance than we expected otherwise we have extended and paid his contract whilst being injured only to let him go once healthy.
Could be that the club didnt want to be the bad guys by letting him go as a free agent while injured long term as well. Id guess his second contract with us was on much different terms than the first was.

Anyway sad to see him leave without completing his goal of winning the league.

Hawks2008

Sad to see it end this way but not surprised. That injury was always gonna take a toll on a 36 year old man no matter how many times he told us he's a lion. All the best Zlatan!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Could be that the club didnt want to be the bad guys by letting him go as a free agent while injured long term as well. Id guess his second contract with us was on much different terms than the first was.

Anyway sad to see him leave without completing his goal of winning the league.
Indeed it could be based on actual games played rather than on a fixed basis.

I don’t think the former would have had any impact though.

Idxomer

Zlatan despite his skills on the ball for a guy his height depended a lot on his physique the way he played, so it was always going to be a tough task to have this kind of injury without it impacting his level heavily especially at his age. I think it was a bit of an understatement from the club to expect him to get back to his previous level or even close to it after such an injury at the age of 36.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think it's a good move for all concerned. I was delighted with Ibra staying here to rehabilitate and play a role this season but in hindsight it hasn't really worked. He seems to have rushed his comeback and the combination of carrying him below the levels we're used to and trying to shoehorn him in alongside Lukaku has been more of a hindrance to us than a help.

I would say 16/17 was and will always be his year, in the same way 12/13 was RVP's, and if there's a good deal on the table from LA the chance to see out his career in the sun should be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.