g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan - closing in on joining LA Galaxy (MLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A potential 250k a week cleared off our wage bill. Hope it's true. Very good player but no one knows his worth after this injury and no one knows whether he can stay fit. Serious drain on our resources to just keep him around when we have Sanchez in on top of everyone else.

settembrini

We would only let him go mid season if Mourinho thinks he won't get back to a decent level.

J_Red 11

I don't see how we still need him. The Lion hasn't show any sign that indicate he is fit enough to play for us. And when he played this season, he's been slowing us down. If Lukaku is injured, we still have Sanchez who scored 24 league goals last season from playing as a striker, and also we still have Rashford & Martial. The season is only 4 months left as well. If we sell him now we can get a bit of money and also save more cash from his wages.

I think this is a good move for him as well if he wants to regain his touch and fitness again. Manchester United is challenging for major trophy, EPL & CL are not the right competition to regain his fitness as quickly as possible after horrific injuries. Take it easy and we will welcome him back again if he is still interested to join us when he's ready.

Murray3007

since he came back to the team, Lukkaku performances have gotten worse, might be a good thing hes leaving, cant see him getting much game time and only really an option for the last 15 mins for the long ball, saves us money on wages if anything.

Smores

Nothing in that article suggests it's midseason really.

Trizy

I'd rather hold onto him til the summer. He's going to score the winning goal in the CL final against Bayern :drool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thanks for the memories but he has been ridiculously off the pace ever since he has come back. Would be good for him too if he moves to LA, as I don't think he's getting too many matches here.

TheLoveless

Let him go, we have enough to cover for him. Secondly, he has been a shadow of his former self this season.
This.

I don't think he will come back in a condition where he is good enough. It's very difficult when you are > 35.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:( I'll be gutted if it is before the end of the season. So gutted the second season has gone like this but I'm desperate to see him end a second season with us, hopefully with some success to show for it.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
since he came back to the team, Lukkaku performances have gotten worse, might be a good thing hes leaving, cant see him getting much game time and only really an option for the last 15 mins for the long ball, saves us money on wages if anything.
wasn't there a talk about Lukaku's unrest? Allegedly Zlatan was bossy during training sessions and tried to immediate Lukaku.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
wasn't there a talk about Lukaku's unrest? Allegedly Zlatan was bossy during training sessions and tried to immediate Lukaku.
Was there? Never heard of it and it looks like some fictional story. Lukaku and Pogba are very close, there is no way anyone is bossing that duo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This ‘close to joining LA Galaxy’ story has surfaced every window for two years now.

That said, it’s best for all parties. He’s done at this level.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think he came back too fast from the injury which has taken its toll on his form. He's still going to be decent in the US and his marketing value is immense, also I expect him to enjoy Los Angeles a lot. Good move for him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Rashford as a backup striker with Gomes as a backup left winger to Martial? Too hopeful probably.

Tiber

Was very surprised when he was brought back. MLS seems the right fit at this point.

GBBQ

Yes we do. How is losing a player at this stage a good decision? He could come off the bench and win a game for us.
Can you really justify spending 250K on a striker under the belief that a scenario might come up where he would come off the bench and win a game for us. Bearing in mind you have probably Rashford on the bench and the likes of Martial and Sanchez more than capable of putting in a shift as a striker.

Also from Zlatan's perspective, would you want to see out your contract under the hope of getting that one chance or would you prefer to go to LA and play regularly.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Los Angelinos might enjoy Ibra's ego & personality taking into account how unpopular the sport & league remains in the US but I think even the niche fans in LA reproach the idea of being a retirement community for overpaid European stars

I think this move has a high probability of being a failure in just about every sense

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The way things are currently, if he's off, and we have a must win game without Lukaku, I would think Jose would go with Sanchez up top. But yes, this is good for Rashford.

Sentiments aside, this is probably a good deal for all involved.

Who Loves ya Bebe

I would be happy for Zlatan to move on now, he scored a lot of goals last year, but he was also a massive frustration, everything went through him, it was slow, and he missed as many as he scored. I think the MLS would be ideal for him, at this stage of his career, decent money, huge project, and imagine the US of A will lap up his ego!

Can7onA

The way things are currently, if he's off, and we have a must win game without Lukaku, I would think Jose would go with Sanchez up top. But yes, this is good for Rashford.

Sentiments aside, this is probably a good deal for all involved.
Yep that's my thoughts on this pretty much.

Red Devil Rising

Would be lying if I said I was disappointed.

He doesn't have a future here and his contract renewal made little sense considering the injury he sustained.

Don't understand these statements that he would have been a great option in Europe. Yes he's experienced but he's hardly set the world alight in European competition, or been there and done it. Last season was his first European trophy.

Time for both parties to move on.

Red Devil Rising

Could be that the club didnt want to be the bad guys by letting him go as a free agent while injured long term as well. Id guess his second contract with us was on much different terms than the first was.

Anyway sad to see him leave without completing his goal of winning the league.
Didn't we have a contract extension on the table for months before the injury but he refused to sign it?

We're not a charity and we don't owe any player a living just because they suffered a bad injury.

reddaz71

That injury setback last year has probably affected him more than he would admit tbh and given his age there's just no coming back at the highest level for him.

The MLS all things considered is probably in the best interests of all parties.

Alabaster Codify7

Really enjoyed his season for us, proper professional and I hope he gets a decent swansong in the U.S.

I don't think anyone expected him to come back from injury the same player, but I also don't think anyone thought he'd be as much of a non-event as he has been.

I reckon he asked Jose to take him out of the squad, wrap him in cotton wool to allow him to move and get a final payday.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Los Angelinos might enjoy Ibra's ego & personality taking into account how unpopular the sport & league remains in the US but I think even the niche fans in LA reproach the idea of being a retirement community for overpaid European stars

I think this move has a high probability of being a failure in just about every sense
You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about...MLS has continuously grown in the US (North America in general / including Canada) each year by a considerable amount. It’s now holding its own versus the other mainstream sports leagues and continues to grow. And you couldn’t be anymore wrong. Zlatan even at the form he is in now is better and more talented than 99% of players in his position in the MLS aka he’s a clear upgrade which is indisputable really. MLS teams that pay their top players pay them just as much and in many cases more than what they’d be able to get in Europe so it’s not like it’d be out of the ordinary in this case for LA to “overpay” him as they’re more than willing to do so, as are other clubs - not like they’d be going out of their way to do so. And no, we’ll (MLS/North America) gladly take aging legends every day of the week. Like I said, they’re still more talented than practically the entire league and attract huge crowds; you probably don’t understand but these are players which we’ve seen on TV our whole lives but haven’t had the chance to see in person due to living on the other side of the world. We definitely don’t take that for granted regardless of them being past their prime or whatnot.

...like I said, nope just no way at all lol

Status
Not open for further replies.