Zlatan shoulder tackle

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I would find it over the top if he did that to some scrawny teenage debutant (was it Kevin Davis on Januzaj?) but come on, if a fully grown centre half can't take that foul then there's something very wrong. Yellow all day, but it's a man's game, physicality and fouling are part of it. Tbh, the female players are much tougher than the men these days.

Celestiale

This thread is hilarious. Not even a yellow IMO. There was not even an elbow, it was a simple jostle with the shoulder. I am doing those kind of charges virtually every game, never got a yellow for that.

Player Red

This thread is hilarious. Not even a yellow IMO. There was not even an elbow, it was a simple jostle with the shoulder. I am doing those kind of charges virtually every game, never got a yellow for that.
Yeah, think it is time to lock this one.

beep

No-one jumped in to defend the defender coz Zlatan would flatan them!

Fully Fledged

You do know Upton Park has been partially demolished and West Ham don't play there.

Didn't we rock up to Crystal Palace 15 mins before kick off? No idea how we can't plan our trips to London better..
The Olympic Stadium(or whatever they call it now) is half demolished as well.
It doesn't matter if we are an hour late it doesn't give them the right to bottle the coach the way they did.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I think the physicality of Zlatan is an important factor to consider. The man is a beast and that hit would have hurt. It could also be seen as potentially dangerous, which to me leans it in the direction of a red.

There was a clear follow through and it semeed more like a challenge to show who is boss rather than with a good chance of actually winning the ball, e.g. I won't make this one, but next time you won't be getting in my way so that I do win it!

I think the balance of intentions leads me to conclude red. If he was leaning his head and body more towards the ball and clear intention of winning the ball then maybe mistiming would be a yellow.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
From what i see it actually looks like hes going for the ball. Hes not looking at the defender at all, only at the ball.

SalfordRed1960

If it had been Fellaini, or say Costa on Jones, I reckon people on here would take the tinted glasses off and have a different view. Zlatan, did look directly at the the defender, probably thought I will let him know I am here, and made sure there was contact. Probably came off worse than Zlatan intended, but there surely can't be any argument that he intended to knock into him. So at the minimum a yellow card (even though it is a man's game as they say). If we had got a softer ref, not that this one was particularly good, as it appears an intentional foul and the defender is going to be in the air, one could argue that it s dangerous play and he could have been given a red. Pretty sure I would have been screaming for a red if it had been the other way round.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If Andy Carroll done that to a defender of ours, we'd be screaming 'red card' but once the game is over, we'd say Carroll is a cnut and we'd forget about it by the next day.

It is one of those cnutish moments, a big target man usually does to rough up the CB's and it never is a red, but the opposition team wants a red.. and it is forgotten about soon after.

Can't believe this discussion is still going on. Because Zlatan is super strong, it looks worse than what it is.

Big Andy

Bloke
7 pages of discussion for this?

It was barely a foul...it was only because Zlatan was jumping and the other bloke wasn't...

he pulled his elbows in, and didn't follow through, it was just a strong challenge...

Fully Fledged

If Andy Carroll done that to a defender of ours, we'd be screaming 'red card' but once the game is over, we'd say Carroll is a cnut and we'd forget about it by the next day.

It is one of those cnutish moments, a big target man usually does to rough up the CB's and it never is a red, but the opposition team wants a red.. and it is forgotten about soon after.

Can't believe this discussion is still going on. Because Zlatan is super strong, it looks worse than what it is.
We'd be lamenting and hearkening back to the days when our players didn't get roughhoused and knocked out of kilter by some Vinny Jones wannabe. There have been plenty of threads around covering that subject over the last few years.
I remember the Keane v Vieira days when we had some real x-rated action. The match on Saturday was nothing in comparison. People are really trying to turn football into a non-contact sport. It isn't.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
He can take that brutality back to the French league - the English Premier League simply will not tolerate rough play! Won't somebody think of the children?

Funny how he generates this much huff and puff while Rondon's slap was, by the letter of the law, an obvious red. Agree with Mourinho, both were yellow cards and the only reason to focus on it is to create drama.

lsd

The Oracle
Yellow card clearly a foul .. But not a red for me .. Does highlight that like Herrera and Rojo he does have a nasty streak and honestly that's not a bad thing and it's something we have missed the past few years as we became more of a soft touch I felt

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Still talking about this are we? In that case I think it's a yellow.