Dani Pacheco: "Good luck negrito"

Liam147

On Probation
Is what he said in a tweet to Glen Johnson.

Liverpool reserves forward Dani Pacheco's use of the word "negrito" in a Twitter message to team-mate Glen Johnson forced the young Spaniard to defend himself on the social networking site.

The 21-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Rayo Vallecano, used the term when wishing the England international luck as he headed to Poland for Euro 2012 on Wednesday.

He tweeted: "@glen-johnson good luck negrito!!!!"

Liverpool team-mate Luis Suarez was banned for eight matches for using the same word towards Manchester United's Patrice Evra in a match at Anfield in October.

The Uruguay international unsuccessfully argued 'negrito' was not a derogatory term in the Spanish language, despite its racial connotations in English.

When Pacheco received a couple of critical comments in response to his message he wrote: "I Allready (sic) explained in past what Negrito could mean. Good or bad depends how you say it. I always called @glen-johnson it in terms of love.

"Last tweet about it. @glen-johnson speaks Spanish and he knows what that mean when I say it to him. He is one of best mates there for me."
Anything in this? You can make a case for him that saying it to a team mate would probably be used in an affectionate way (hence it being totally different to the Suarez case, before the scousers get on their high horse), but for him to apologise for it he obviously knows he's done something wrong. Tell you what Liverpool, why not just not refer to people by skin colour?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7798118/

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Ban him for a year in my opinion. Not even joking really.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
For the last fecking time Suarez didn't use 'negrito' he used 'negro'.

Don't people read? Blatant lies from Sky

Liam147

On Probation
Apparently Messi did call someone negrito, but it wasn't to a Barca player I don't think. See I'm not sure about Spanish culture on it all, but I know we don't do it here. Except in one part of the country.

For the last fecking time Suarez didn't use 'negrito' he used 'negro'.

Don't people read?
I believe he used both. Not sure what you're referring to though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It was obvious there would be some (however little) outrage for what he said even if it was used in an affectionate way. I don't really care if someone uses it in the way he describes in their own little group where they know they are all okay with it but doing it over something that is as popular as Twitter and the summer after Liverpool were involved in the racism scandal he's dumb.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Apparently Messi did call someone negrito, but it wasn't to a Barca player I don't think. See I'm not sure about Spanish culture on it all, but I know we don't do it here. Except in one part of the country.

I believe he used both. Not sure what you're referring to though.
I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to Sky not reading the report published by the FA.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The fundamental issue with what happened between Suarez and Evra is that Suarez, although he tried to claim so later in his evidence, clearly didn't use the word negro affectionately towards Evra.

We don't know what kind of relationship Pacheco has with Johnson. What we do know however is that when he wrote his message he was not up in his face, pinching his skin, having a heated argument with him. In other words in this context it would be logical to conclude that Pacheco was not trying to use colour to provoke Johnson.

That's the complete opposite of what Suarez did as the F.A. hearing determined.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ridiculous move from pacheco, seriously what do they put in the water up in liverpool? it seriously makes all people seem to lose any common sense.

Widnes

I can't help thinking one of their spanish players saying this to such a public audience feels slightly staged in the Suarez didn't say anything racist claim, maybe I wouldn't of thought this if it wasn't for all the shite Liverpool have spouted about the matter

SirAF

Ageist
I can't help thinking one of their spanish players saying this to such a public audience feels slightly staged in the Suarez didn't say anything racist claim, maybe I wouldn't of thought this if it wasn't for all the shite Liverpool have spouted about the matter
My thoughts exactly!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It had to be a Liverpool player.Why even try to create controversy ? Why not use "amigo","hermano" ???
Pacheco is a on a WUM or he's plain stupid

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I suppose saying it to a friend is a little different than to a stranger. Its all to do with context. If I called a mate a cnut then he would probably laugh it off as shenanigans, if I said it to a customer at work then its completely unacceptable. The context is the most important issue here

kouroux

I suppose saying it to a friend is a little different than to a stranger. Its all to do with context. If I called a mate a cnut then he would probably laugh it off as shenanigans, if I said it to a customer at work then its completely unacceptable. The context is the most important issue here
I agree with you but then again it's a public comment on twitter.When you know what happened during the season because certain words were said, wouldn't you just use another word and avoid unnecessary attention ?

Liam147

On Probation
You're right there. See, I call my mate all names under the sun, and he does the same to me, naturally we're not offended by it, but we wouldn't do it in front of an audience who could be offended by it, grandparents for example. Think Kouroux had it right, 'footballer in plain idiocy shocker'.

kietotheworld

Absolutely nothing in this, it's embarrassing that some people are trying to make something of it. The term itself is perfectly fine if it's used in the right context, the lad shouldn't be hounded for using a word which is normal in his culture and which Johnson is obviously fine with him using. It's completely different from what Suarez did.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I agree with you but then again it's a public comment on twitter.When you know what happened during the season because certain words were said, wouldn't you just use another word and avoid unnecessary attention ?
Exactly; 'cock-socket' would have been much more acceptable in this instance.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Know a guy who openly calls his black mate a 'black bastard' and the guy just laughs it off :lol:

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
He should have used another word for sure but footballers aren't the most clever human beings. He can obviously speak English as he says good luck so really it all boils down to stupidity on his part. He knows all about what has happened at his club so really should know better. The context in which he said it wasn't inciting racial hatred though which is why Suarez was disciplined. I think there is nothing in this except another example of how idiotic some members of the human race are

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Completely agree

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Negrito is a friendly term in South America, if said to a friend. If it's not to a friend, it's potentially derogatory, and definitely derogatory (to the recipient) if said to someone theyy don't know.

kouroux

He should have used another word for sure but footballers aren't the most clever human beings. He can obviously speak English as he says good luck so really it all boils down to stupidity on his part. He knows all about what has happened at his club so really should know better. The context in which he said it wasn't inciting racial hatred though which is why Suarez was disciplined. I think there is nothing in this except another example of how idiotic some members of the human race are
I agree

TheBest

SPNTBP
I don't know why would he be so stupid enough to post that, specially after that suarez thing. He is either an idiot or a bigger idiot.

davisjw

As someone with a Colombian wife, "negrito" is a perfectly acceptable and a term of endearment given to people with darker skin than you. It's not even specific to black people, but really tan people get called it as well. I do wish our media would get over trying to find gossip and tabloid "news" in every one of life's trash bins. There is a culture beyond the water and just because people land here, doesn't mean they have to assimilate 100% to our culture.

There's absolutely nothing in this other than an extreme view of one-minded conservatism with no knowledge of culture outside Britain.

kietotheworld

I don't know why would he be so stupid enough to post that, specially after that suarez thing. He is either an idiot or a bigger idiot.
What's so stupid about it? He's speaking to his mate using a friendly term. He's not going to get charged over it, because no-one's going to complain, it's not going to cost his club anything, it's just a trash news story for trash TV and shitty tabloids to write a sensationalist story for morons to lap up as though it's significant.

Liam147

On Probation
As someone with a Colombian wife, "negrito" is a perfectly acceptable and a term of endearment given to people with darker skin than you. It's not even specific to black people, but really tan people get called it as well. I do wish our media would get over trying to find gossip and tabloid "news" in every one of life's trash bins. There is a culture beyond the water and just because people land here, doesn't mean they have to assimilate 100% to our culture.

There's absolutely nothing in this other than an extreme view of one-minded conservatism with no knowledge of culture outside Britain.
But in this instance do we really need a knowledge of culture outside Britain when it's happening in our country?

If an English player was in South America for example and it happened, there wouldn't be much in it. But you know as well as I do, that that isn't how things go in Britain. You can say they don't have to assimilate 100% to our culture, but they should try if it's going to risk offending people from our country, which it obviously has, hence the apology.

What's so stupid about it? He's speaking to his mate using a friendly term. He's not going to get charged over it, because no-one's going to complain, it's not going to cost his club anything, it's just a trash news story for trash TV and shitty tabloids to write a sensationalist story for morons to lap up as though it's significant.
It came from Sky sports news, not a tabloid. People are going to complain, which they obviously did. You don't apologise when you've done nothing wrong.

TheBest

SPNTBP
He can personally call him negrito as much as he wants but calling on twitter is just stupid.
Liverpool club could do without bad publicity for once. We all know how media blow things out of proportion. I heard there've already been some articles posted on this. I don't think what he said was wrong itself.

kietotheworld

It came from Sky sports news, not a tabloid. People are going to complain, which they obviously did. You don't apologise when you've done nothing wrong.
That would be the trash TV I mentioned.
He can personally call him negrito as much as he wants but calling on twitter is just stupid.
Liverpool club could do without bad publicity for once. We all know how media blow things out of proportion. I heard there've already been some articles posted on this. I don't think what he said was wrong itself.
I don't see what material effect this will have on Liverpool FC or the player himself. It's just something for lazy journalists to write about.

Ferguson

Look "negro" wasn't always a derogatory term in English (see for example the United Negro College Fund), but it has become one as society has tried to put the racism of the past behind us. At one time blacks were used to accepting "negro" as a "friendly" term, but later they stood up and rejected it as something implicitly racist.

I fully believe that "negrito" is acceptable in South America, but we don't live in South America. Maybe South America is backwards and in need of progress when it comes to race, or maybe we are the ones with the bigger history of racism and therefore the bigger need for sensitivity.

Whichever is the case, the bottom line is that the South American "friendly" references to race aren't acceptable in England.

Suarez should look around and realize he isn't living in South America. He might get some sympathy if he showed some genuine sensitivity to the issue of racism and if he was capable of offering something recognizable as a genuine apology FOR THE HARM HE HAS CAUSED instead of just reading off the cue cards. You can cause harm unintentionally and still suffer punishment for it.

Unfortunately from his behavior we can only assume he cares only for himself and no one else, certainly not about the very real problem of racism. At best he is as thick and narrow-minded as the Scousers who defend him. At worst he is willfully and unrepentantly racist. The problem he has after the World Cup and his row with Evra is that people no longer assume that he is a good guy with honest intentions. Fair or unfair Suarez is now the guy who will say or do anything so long as he can get away with it.

Liam147

On Probation
Look "negro" wasn't always a derogatory term in English (see for example the United Negro College Fund), but it has become one as society has tried to put the racism of the past behind us. At one time blacks were used to accepting "negro" as a "friendly" term, but later they stood up and rejected it as something implicitly racist.

I fully believe that "negrito" is acceptable in South America, but we don't live in South America. Maybe South America is backwards and in need of progress when it comes to race, or maybe we are the ones with the bigger history of racism and therefore the bigger need for sensitivity.

Whichever is the case, the bottom line is that the South American "friendly" references to race aren't acceptable in England.

Suarez should look around and realize he isn't living in South America. He might get some sympathy if he showed some genuine sensitivity to the issue of racism and if he was capable of offering something recognizable as a genuine apology FOR THE HARM HE HAS CAUSED instead of just reading off the cue cards. You can cause harm unintentionally and still suffer punishment for it.

Unfortunately from his behavior we can only assume he cares only for himself and no one else, certainly not about the very real problem of racism. At best he is as thick and narrow-minded as the Scousers who defend him. At worst he is willfully and unrepentantly racist. The problem he has after the World Cup and his row with Evra is that people no longer assume that he is a good guy with honest intentions. Fair or unfair Suarez is now the guy who will say or do anything so long as he can get away with it.
Great post. Sums the whole thing up completely.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

In South Africa not too long ago it used to be OK to ...

In Germany 75 years ago, it was fine to say ...

No, cultural context in another country does not mean we should be fine about it in the UK. Do we really need to do the whole 100 rounds on this again.

TheBest

SPNTBP
That would be the trash TV I mentioned.

I don't see what material effect this will have on Liverpool FC or the player himself. It's just something for lazy journalists to write about.
Well I think(IMO) they were also in someway responsible for kenny's demise.