Dani Pacheco: "Good luck negrito"

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I might be wrong, but did the report on the Suarez-Evra thing not state that Suarez didn't say negrito, he said negro?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Look "negro" wasn't always a derogatory term in English (see for example the United Negro College Fund), but it has become one as society has tried to put the racism of the past behind us. At one time blacks were used to accepting "negro" as a "friendly" term, but later they stood up and rejected it as something implicitly racist.

I fully believe that "negrito" is acceptable in South America, but we don't live in South America. Maybe South America is backwards and in need of progress when it comes to race, or maybe we are the ones with the bigger history of racism and therefore the bigger need for sensitivity.

Whichever is the case, the bottom line is that the South American "friendly" references to race aren't acceptable in England.

Suarez should look around and realize he isn't living in South America. He might get some sympathy if he showed some genuine sensitivity to the issue of racism and if he was capable of offering something recognizable as a genuine apology FOR THE HARM HE HAS CAUSED instead of just reading off the cue cards. You can cause harm unintentionally and still suffer punishment for it.

Unfortunately from his behavior we can only assume he cares only for himself and no one else, certainly not about the very real problem of racism. At best he is as thick and narrow-minded as the Scousers who defend him. At worst he is willfully and unrepentantly racist. The problem he has after the World Cup and his row with Evra is that people no longer assume that he is a good guy with honest intentions. Fair or unfair Suarez is now the guy who will say or do anything so long as he can get away with it.
Thank you and Good Night. Anyway, let the scouse sort ou thier shit. One of own not involved. Can only imagine the opinion of FSW!

/ thread

alastair

ignorant
Part of the issue is that no-one in society is really aware of what is racist and what isn't, especially foreign people.

Having worked in a school in France for a year, whenever the staff discussed things in English with me, they would forever be using words that don't get used here any more. Coloured being a prime example.

I have no idea what's racist anymore really - I didn't the word 'negro' was a bad thing, particularly. Obviously you wouldn't call someone it, but I didn't know it was so offensive. It gets to the point when there's 20 people in a room with one black person and someone asks you to point him out, and you end up struggling over what he's wearing as opposed to saying 'he's the black guy.'

manutddjw

Sir Alex hacked Pacheco's twitter and tweeted that, so all his cohorts in the anti-Liverpool media (which is everyone), FA, UEFA, FIFA and UNICEF can unsettle and impose rules to punish Liverpool, to keep them from the trophies that they would clearly win.

It was smart to target Pacheco because he is the best young striker in the world and Sir Alex was shitting himself at the prospect of having to face a front 3 of Pacheco, Suarez and Carroll, with Gerrard bossing the midfield.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Part of the issue is that no-one in society is really aware of what is racist and what isn't, especially foreign people.

Having worked in a school in France for a year, whenever the staff discussed things in English with me, they would forever be using words that don't get used here any more. Coloured being a prime example.

I have no idea what's racist anymore really - I didn't the word 'negro' was a bad thing, particularly. Obviously you wouldn't call someone it, but I didn't know it was so offensive. It gets to the point when there's 20 people in a room with one black person and someone asks you to point him out, and you end up struggling over what he's wearing as opposed to saying 'he's the black guy.'
:lol: So true.

I honestly think people are too sensitive, and anything with race connotations is a potential negative.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Can it really be racist if Johnson isnt offended by it and accepts it as a term meaning 'mate' or 'friend'?

Bit of a non story really.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the

I honestly think people are too sensitive, and anything with race connotations is a potential negative.
That is true. People need to lighten up to an extent. If someone is black then they are black, if they are white then they are white. Using an adjective to describe someone is not racist. If you are using it in a negative way then it is racism I.e. "i don't talk to blacks". There has to be a cut off point as to what is acceptable and not, political correctness has gone completely mad and over the top.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Storm in a glass of water. Theres obviously nothing in it. People calling for bans are being absolutely retarded or more likely biased because theres a liverpool player involved.

Kind of humorous how Europeans in general seem to have the belief that we can decide what's universally correct and not to say or what terms to use. If Johnson thinks it's ok to be called a negrito then that should be the end of the matter.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Suarez used racist terms to try to wind up Evra on the pitch, hoping he'd react and get sent off or something. A scumbag move.

This is absolutely nothing like that.

SecondFig

This again?

Suarez didn't "unsuccessfully argue that "'negrito' was not a derogatory term in the Spanish language" - the entire issue, and the only reason he could be found guilty (given the he said/she said nature of the offence) was that Suarez admitted using language that referred to a player's colour and this (regardless of whether it's an insult ) is clearly banned under FA rules.

Tl;dr: Suarez's guilt wasn't dependent upon "negrito" being an insult, merely referring to Evra being black was enough.

kietotheworld

This again?

Suarez didn't "unsuccessfully argue that "'negrito' was not a derogatory term in the Spanish language" - the entire issue, and the only reason he could be found guilty (given the he said/she said nature of the offence) was that Suarez admitted using language that referred to a player's colour and this (regardless of whether it's an insult ) is clearly banned under FA rules.

Tl;dr: Suarez's guilt wasn't dependent upon "negrito" being an insult, merely referring to Evra being black was enough.
Incorrect, it had to be as part of abuse for him to be guilty.

SecondFig

Incorrect, it had to be as part of abuse for him to be guilty.
Sorry, you're correct, I should have been more specific.

The point wasn't whether "negrito" was an insult in of itself, it was that Suarez had used insulting language, which "included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour", so regardless of whether negrito is an insult or not, it clearly refers to Evra being black - in the context of forming part of an insulting interaction that was enough to find Suarez guilty.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
But in this instance do we really need a knowledge of culture outside Britain when it's happening in our country?
It's not happening in your country, it's on the internet. Should the internet standards be narrowed to the least permissive level?

He can personally call him negrito as much as he wants but calling on twitter is just stupid.
I agree, a Liverpool player doing that is asking for trouble. Needless.

I fully believe that "negrito" is acceptable in South America, but we don't live in South America. Maybe South America is backwards and in need of progress when it comes to race, or maybe we are the ones with the bigger history of racism and therefore the bigger need for sensitivity.
You are the ones with a giant chip on the shoulder. There is nothing backward or wrong about people being referred to according to their skin colour so long as no one is aggrieved, which is the case here.

I might be wrong, but did the report on the Suarez-Evra thing not state that Suarez didn't say negrito, he said negro?
Doesn't make the slightest difference as far as Suarez' argument is concerned. Either can be used, I use them all the time with friends of mine.

What mattered was the context and intention to cause grief and in that sense negrito would actually be worse as you are not just black but, by using the diminutive, you are also being called small/tiny/irrelevant.

It gets to the point when there's 20 people in a room with one black person and someone asks you to point him out, and you end up struggling over what he's wearing as opposed to saying 'he's the black guy.'
I've been there countless times, fecking ridiculous. A typical scenario: going back to a store or when told to go speak with X, then being asked about who you spoke to previously... They are all white bar the one you talked to but end up going round in circles describing his height, build, etc. when the simple straightforward thing is "the black guy" without in any way meaning to be offensive, just clear and precise.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sorry, you're correct, I should have been more specific.

The point wasn't whether "negrito" was an insult in of itself, it was that Suarez had used insulting language, which "included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour", so regardless of whether negrito is an insult or not, it clearly refers to Evra being black - in the context of forming part of an insulting interaction that was enough to find Suarez guilty.
Exactly. The key thing is context.

You can tell that using the term 'negro' in the middle of a heated argument and having pinched the guy's skin isn't going to be friendly.

Pacheco on the other hand is just saying good luck to a friend.

The only story here is Sky Sports again misreporting what Suarez actually said to Evra.

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolutely nothing in this, it's embarrassing that some people are trying to make something of it. The term itself is perfectly fine if it's used in the right context, the lad shouldn't be hounded for using a word which is normal in his culture and which Johnson is obviously fine with him using. It's completely different from what Suarez did.
I think the point people are making is why use the term and give people something to talk about in the first place considering everythinig that has happened previously?

Idiocy really.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Absolutely.

Lets turn it on the other foot - if someone refers to me as White, do I take it as an insult? Now fair enough that caucasians dont have a history of racial abuse but if we truly think that we are past that stage, surely you cant keep referring back to that as an excuse for double standards.

Referring to someone by the colour of their skin isnt inherently bad or negative in itself. Its no different to the colour of ones eyes or hair and shouldnt be treated as such just because in the past there have been negative connotations associated with it. Obviously, using the colour of ones skin as an insult is racist, but only when used in that sort of context, in my opinion.

Anyway this is probaby the wrong thread for this debate so I will stop there.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
The difference is that in Latin America the racism is much more of a passive sort whereas in the United States and Europe it's of an aggressive, even violent strain, such as Nazi, KKK, and banana throwing assholes. You would never see these sort of organizations or actions in Latin America. This is why races mix and get on so much better down south, and one can speak of it more openly. Make no mistake, racism exists, but to a much different extent.

You don't see such a large influx of immigration here though, as you do in the Northern World, which again brings a more aggressive reaction.

Seems like whole sectors of the United States continue to be resentful that "negritos" ever got their freedom or that apartheid was abolished and that civil rights took hold. They had to fight their bloodiest war to stop slavery while everywhere else finally came to a civilized realization that enslaving blacks was morally wrong. Loads of Gringos have never gotten over this.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
They still don't get it. Suarez said to Evra: "I don't speak to blacks"...

Negrito - offensive or not, it was all about the context.

The Neviller

Didn't Messi call some Barca players 'negrito'?

EDIT: Yes he did, to Drenthe. Did anything ever get said about that on here?
Drenthe never played for Barca, he played for Madrid, so Messi wasn't conversing with a teammate, he was talking to an opponent. He also didn't call him "negrito" either, Drenthe claims he said "Hola, negro" on a number of occasions.

As much of a disgrace as anyone else doing it. I've always thought Messi was a bit of a cnut.

Crustanoid

I can't help thinking one of their spanish players saying this to such a public audience feels slightly staged in the Suarez didn't say anything racist claim, maybe I wouldn't of thought this if it wasn't for all the shite Liverpool have spouted about the matter
Pacheco was put up to it 100%

Whether it was Suarez, KKK or Andy@Allerton though, nobody can be sure

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The word Suarez used was 'negro' and he used it in a wholly offensive context. His punishment wasn't nearly enough.

As for Pacheco, if he wants to use Spanish terms when tweeting to Glen Johnson and trying to defend Suarez, he shouldn't preface them with the not very Spanish 'good luck'.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just a little harmless joke I'd imagine because of the Suarez thing. But you aren't allowed to say anything on twitter *sigh*

vuc

First Team Serb
If Johnson is aware of what negrito is (and being team-mates it's fairly certain that he does), and is friends with Pacheco then who the feck cares really?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Initially wasn't it believed Suarez did say Negrito? but yet everyone condemned the use of that word anyway.

Eugenius

For clarity Suarez told Evra he kicked him because he was black and then when Evra said he was going to punch him, he said "come on negro, negro negro".

This was found by the language expert to be offensive and racist in Uruguay and elsewhere.

Sylar

I swear the report itself that was published didnt make a mention of the term "negrito" with regards to Suarez saying it to Evra. I remember newspapers publishing it and the whole of Rawk becoming experts on that word, but then a week later the findings were released and the word was never even said so the whole thing was null at that point.

Or am I remembering it wrong?

Ringo 07

The world has gone mad. For the media to make a massive fuss about a friendly jibe from one team mate to another is disgraceful really! Negrito or similar versions is a very common friendly remark in all countries that speak Spanish or Portuguese

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Initially wasn't it believed Suarez did say Negrito? but yet everyone condemned the use of that word anyway.
Yes - but only by the newspapers.

I swear the report itself that was published didnt make a mention of the term "negrito" with regards to Suarez saying it to Evra. I remember newspapers publishing it and the whole of Rawk becoming experts on that word, but then a week later the findings were released and the word was never even said so the whole thing was null at that point.

Or am I remembering it wrong?
No you're spot on there.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Probably a classic case of someone havin a few drinks on a live chat forum & not thinkin, we've seen it on here tbh & racist comments are quite rightly punished by banning!

Been to quite a few parties here in Dublin where Brazilian women where there & they referred to us Irish blokes - mostly behind our backs, as gringo's. I didnt take any offence of course, but my Brazilian mate told me they were being intentionally offensive because of the famous pale Irish skin & them not particularly liking the Irish male!