Dani Pacheco: "Good luck negrito"

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Drenthe never played for Barca, he played for Madrid, so Messi wasn't conversing with a teammate, he was talking to an opponent. He also didn't call him "negrito" either, Drenthe claims he said "Hola, negro" on a number of occasions.

As much of a disgrace as anyone else doing it. I've always thought Messi was a bit of a cnut.
Messi said it to Barca players too. I think it was Abidal that took offence to it eventually and told him not to use it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It was ill-advised, but it's not that big of a deal. Suarez didn't get done for saying "negrito" so tying the two stories is stupid, but never let facts stand between Fleet Street and a story. The whole issue over "negrito" was construed by Suarez/Liverpool to try to play off his malice in the incident.

Saying that to a friend is different from someone whom you just kicked. Context is important. The press are morons. I shan't say more or else I'll be quoted by the Daily Star again because they can't discern a joke.

Liam147

On Probation
Yes. I wouldn't mind but when Messi got accused of calling Drenthe 'Negro', which is now being condemned for use by Suarez, most people didn't bat an eyelid on here. Instead Drenthe was a 'trouble maker' etc. :houllier:
Completely, yet most of these people would've been condemning Liverpool fans for sticking by their player, when they were mindlessly sticking by a player of a team in a different county. The only possible defence I can give is that he was doing it in Spain, where it might be more acceptable than over here.

davisjw

But in this instance do we really need a knowledge of culture outside Britain when it's happening in our country?

If an English player was in South America for example and it happened, there wouldn't be much in it. But you know as well as I do, that that isn't how things go in Britain. You can say they don't have to assimilate 100% to our culture, but they should try if it's going to risk offending people from our country, which it obviously has, hence the apology.

It came from Sky sports news, not a tabloid. People are going to complain, which they obviously did. You don't apologise when you've done nothing wrong.
In South Africa not too long ago it used to be OK to ...

In Germany 75 years ago, it was fine to say ...

No, cultural context in another country does not mean we should be fine about it in the UK. Do we really need to do the whole 100 rounds on this again.
You two are missing the point: Negro as a word came from the Spanish language. It's like telling us we can't use "white" because in South America, they decided to use it as a derogatory slang word against Caucasians. You're telling the guy not to speak his language and use a word that originated in a completely innocent way (it's a color). And used in that sense, it's a noun which is something we don't have in our English language.

The problem with us English folks is we have a superiority complex (much like in football) where we try to take the world's culture and look at it from our eyes. We associate the word "negro" as a derogatory term because our ancestors used it as slang. Spanish folks have used it for hundreds, if not thousands, of years without any problem until the English and Americans started using it.

He didn't say it in England properly (doubt he's even in England at the moment), he said it on a neutral online website. No one is offended and the only one who matters is Johnson and he doesn't care.

We try to translate it as meaning something horrible like "blacky" (and yes I used a juvenile derogatory word, I don't want to get in trouble). But in the Spanish language it doesn't translate like that when said in a friendly way. They also use the term "gordo" (fat) in an endearing way. They aren't making fun of their size, I've heard my wife say it to stick thin girls. It's just a nickname.

And again the word "negrito" is not just for black people but tanned people too.

Yes, you should respect a country when you're in it. But why are we still giving such power to a word in friendly instances? It's like Germans ignoring the name Hitler and Nazis and the swastika like it's all going to slip away from people's memories.

Suarez said his under different pretenses in a different way. This kid is just shouting out to a friend using a perfectly acceptable nickname to 80% of the world. Stop making it out to be some horrific use of the word. And if that's the absolute worse you've heard, you need to get out more and truly experience the world - good and bad.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
On the serious note, how do you call "black coloured people of Britis nationality"?

Surely afro american by itself is racist? Because not every black coloured people are american or coming from american?

I'm really confused as to think how should I address them.

I was asked by a police regarding an incident, and I really find it hard to describe the perpetrator ... afro american in australia? Negro/Niger is a definite no? Black? Dark coloured skin could be anyone from Indian, to red Indian, even arabs have dark skin sometimes, yellow? Brown?

I'm not being a racist here, as I myself are not white. But can anyone tell me how should I correctly address them?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
On the serious note, how do you call "black coloured people of Britis nationality"?

Surely afro american by itself is racist? Because not every black coloured people are american or coming from american?

I was asked by a police regarding an incident, and I really find it hard to describe the perpetrator ... afro american in australia? Negro/Niger is a definite no? Black? Dark coloured skin could be anyone from Indian, to red Indian, even arabs have dark skin sometimes, yellow? Brown?

I'm not being a racist here, as I myself are not white. But can anyone tell me how should I correctly address them?
Agree, but good luck with getting a straight answer on that without ifs and buts emerging. Madness :mad:

kietotheworld

Negro is a definite no, but I don't think there's anything wrong with saying black.

Cold_Boy

Pacheco knew "after all that happened" what he was doing here.

Typical scouser cnut.

What I find funny is Glen Johnson being ok to everything.So there should be no problem/complains for us

davisjw

Black is acceptable. You'd call a white guy, a white guy. No use in dancing around it - gives more power to the word and brings out the racist bigots.

EB100

I don't know why its so hard for those idiots at Anfield to understand that, regardless of their intentions, that word is very charged and that they shouldn't use it anyhow in public. If Johnson wants his south american buddies to call him "little nigger", why not keep that in private and avoid offending society by using it publicly? lool.. Its like they all somehow became retards under Dalglish.

antohan

Black is acceptable. You'd call a white guy, a white guy. No use in dancing around it - gives more power to the word and brings out the racist bigots.
But that doesn't hold in the US, or does it?

The dancing around certainly is painful.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
When I used to live in Portugal I had some black friends and we used the word "negro" and not "preto" = (black), because they told me "preto" was ofensive for them. The problem with the English speaker is they have the "n" word and I don't mean negro, and the Portuguese and Spanish don't, so in Brazil for example, they will call blacks = morenos which that's what they - Brazilians use here in the states. We the latinos when we want to ofend someone we will offend their mothers or fathers. Call nani everything you want but I bet if someone calls him in Portuguese "filho da puta", "cabrao", or "filho de um cabrao" his reaction will be different.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I'm not sure but are 'negrito' and 'negro' the same thing?

Both perhaps have differing tones.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm not sure but are 'negrito' and 'negro' the same thing?

Both perhaps have differing tones.
It's the same word the suffix 'Ito' is a diminutive it makes it mean 'small'. So for example if I say perro it means dog perrito means little dog.

These things are mostly context dependant if you're asking is negrito offensive well it would depend. If I had a guy slapping me in the back of my head saying 'Que dices negrito?' you could tell he was trying to belittle me. If it was just a friendly pat on the back you like 'todo bien negrito?' it would be different.

It's like using the word 'boy'. If you say to someone 'that's my boy from way back we've been friends forever' its a lot different than slapping someone and saying 'you ain't man enough to step to me boy'.

As the language experts in Suarez's case discussed at length the context defines the offensiveness or not.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bit of a nothing story this. At worst it's Johnson and Dani Pacheco (who?) being children by trying to make a point about something their brains are too tiny to understand properly.

This happens a lot on the internet, often via people who have much less of an excuse to be stupid than footballers.

davisjw

But that doesn't hold in the US, or does it?

The dancing around certainly is painful.
It does to 99% of the population. It's the media and a very select few individuals who still make it awkward for everyone else. It's all in the tone you use and the context you use it in.

If you were talking to a police officer who was also black, he wouldn't get upset if you said "The man was black, tall, maybe six foot, wearing a white shirt." Everyone knows when you say a black man what you're looking for. If you said a "dark" man it's too abstract. A dark white man who stayed out too long in the sun? Someone from India?

I would say the major groups are: White, black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, and Middle Eastern - even if the guy is from India.

davisjw

When I used to live in Portugal I had some black friends and we used the word "negro" and not "preto" = (black), because they told me "preto" was ofensive for them. The problem with the English speaker is they have the "n" word and I don't mean negro, and the Portuguese and Spanish don't, so in Brazil for example, they will call blacks = morenos which that's what they - Brazilians use here in the states. We the latinos when we want to ofend someone we will offend their mothers or fathers. Call nani everything you want but I bet if someone calls him in Portuguese "filho da puta", "cabrao", or "filho de um cabrao" his reaction will be different.
Great post and more elegantly written than my poor attempts to explain things.

At the end of the day, it's context, tone, and in whose mouth it came from. A Hispanic/Portuguese person can say it if it's in a friendly manner, a black person could say it and most wouldn't care, but a white person saying it in an English speaking country would be wrong.

antohan

We the latinos when we want to ofend someone we will offend their mothers or fathers. Call nani everything you want but I bet if someone calls him in Portuguese "filho da puta", "cabrao", or "filho de um cabrao" his reaction will be different.
Davisjw hit the nail on the head earlier with the point about negro being used purely as a noun. When you are being offensive you usually add one of those comments about relatives or other adjectives which are the ones which indicate your intent and the ones people are actually bothered about (negro puto, negro hijo de puta, negro de mierda, etc. it is not the negro which offends).

Same holds for the other cases davisjw mentioned, e.g. gordo. Gordo is hunky-dory, it's the puto/hijo de puta/de mierda added at the end which isn't.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's the same word the suffix 'Ito' is a diminutive it makes it mean 'small'. So for example if I say perro it means dog perrito means little dog.

These things are mostly context dependant if you're asking is negrito offensive well it would depend. If I had a guy slapping me in the back of my head saying 'Que dices negrito?' you could tell he was trying to belittle me. If it was just a friendly pat on the back you like 'todo bien negrito?' it would be different.

It's like using the word 'boy'. If you say to someone 'that's my boy from way back we've been friends forever' its a lot different than slapping someone and saying 'you ain't man enough to step to me boy'.

As the language experts in Suarez's case discussed at length the context defines the offensiveness or not.
I agree 100%

But Suarez saying that to evra in a derby match, well... even the most serene budhist monk will know it's meant to be an insult, hiding behind language obscurity won't change that fact.

Ireggardless of what it's meant on your native country, try shouting that word in the bronx and explain to them

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I agree 100%

But Suarez saying that to evra in a derby match, well... even the most serene budhist monk will know it's meant to be an insult, hiding behind language obscurity won't change that fact.

Ireggardless of what it's meant on your native country, try shouting that word in the bronx and explain to them
Exactly and that's why the F.A. found Suarez guilty cos it was clear he was trying to provoke Evra. Kicking him, pinching his skin, his explanation that he tried to use a pinch before dropping the word 'negro' was an attempt to the diffuse the situation was so unbelievable even he changed his story.

Lets not forget this works both ways. Just because its not primarily used as an insult in Latin America Latinos are not ignorant of the fact you can use 'negro' as an insult if you aim it right.

I'm happy to receive correction on this but some posters are seeming to suggest that negro is never used as an insult in Latin America. Sorry, that's wrong. Latinos and where I say Latinos I mean mestizos are a delightful people, generous with both their persons and their possessions. However, these were also once Castizo societies and those times cast a long shadow.

Lets not forget that even in Brazil with its huge black population there was an initially a drive to prevent blacks playing professional football. When Fluminese first hired black players in the 20s amazingly they had to white themselves up to hide it from the fans!

This idea that black people have never been looked on as inferior in Latin America just because of the colour of their skin is simply untrue. The idea that no Latino would know this and not be able to resort to using this as a weapon is also untrue.

Pacheco was using it in a friendly manner don't get me wrong. But that isn't the only way it can be used.