£15 million seems more reasonable

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
Dominic Fifield
Thursday May 31, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

Manchester United last night delivered a stunning statement of their intent to retain the Premiership title next season by potentially taking their summer outlay beyond the £50m mark after moving swiftly to agree deals in principle to sign the Sporting Lisbon winger Nani and Porto's Anderson, two of the most coveted rising talents in Portugal.
A delegation from United, led by the chief executive, David Gill, and the assistant manager, Carlos Queiroz, spent yesterday in Lisbon in formal talks with officials from the Portuguese clubs, with agreements smoothed out with both before being outlined publicly late last night.

According to the selling clubs, the total fees to secure Nani, 20, and Anderson, an 18-year-old Brazilian winger, could rise to as much €50m (£35m) with appearances and honours over the course of their contracts which, allied with Owen Hargreaves' imminent arrival from Bayern Munich for £17m, represents the most lavish spending of the Glazer era at Old Trafford to date. United's initial outlay to buy the pair from Portugal is more likely to be around £15m.

karan316

if that is true then it sounds like a good deal, only 15 million up front

I have heard tons of figures being thrown around though, even heard that Nani alone cost 23 million Euros

Penny

Glazer get to a after drink brawl with Shittu, bot
If Gill manage to negotiate for an initial outlay of just 15mil then he's a genius!! A real genius!!! Stand-aside stupid Kenyon !! :mad:

The fee might grow with many other conditions later but to know that we are signing 2 wizkid with so so much up-side, you can only think that 15mil immeidate outlay is gonna be money welllllllllllllll spend !!:smirk:

*** think all the details will be revealed nowadays cos Man United is no more a PLC ..

blythy

Fascist Dictator
United's initial outlay to buy the pair from Portugal is more likely to be around £15m.
It would make more sense that we went for a structured deal based on appearances and so on. It's the done thing these days.

I'd heard we'd paid enough to trigger both release clauses - whether this is the initial payment or the total value, I'm not sure.

cinc

It would make more sense that we went for a structured deal based on appearances and so on. It's the done thing these days.

I'd heard we'd paid enough to trigger both release clauses - whether this is the initial payment or the total value, I'm not sure.
I think we will play more than their release clauses in the long run, just to have a lower initial fee, so we can have some cash to spend if Sir Alex feels he needs someone still.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I guess even Kenyon would be able to activate minimum releases clauses.

Amir

*** think all the details will be revealed nowadays cos Man United is no more a PLC ..
I think it could be on the contrary because as a PLC I think we had to reveal details of major deals. As a private company, I doubt we have the need.

Ferguson

I think it could be on the contrary because as a PLC I think we had to reveal details of major deals. As a private company, I doubt we have the need.
Yes, one of the ... (dare I say it) ... ADVANTAGES of being bought by the Glazers.

As the ancient Romans knew a republic(PLC) is the best form of government, but in a time of war you need a caesar(an owner) if you are going to make the swift decisions in order to be effective. More secrecy, less people to vet before making a decision to spend.

Red-Indian

Don't really care on the cost really. If we can afford it, I suppose thats all that matters.

The important thing is that if we got them done so early, they must be Fergie's first choices.

Good, brave and quick dealings. Well done to all involved.

Bearded but no genius

It will still be portrayed as 32m combined even if the sea opens up and swallows them both before they ever play for us.

Its like Carrick who many still quote at 18m. Would that he was - since reports are to reach that fee we have to win the league twice and a treble in his first two years! I guess we're still on course... :angel:

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It will still be portrayed as 32m combined even if the sea opens up and swallows them both before they ever play for us.

Its like Carrick who many still quote at 18m. Would that he was - since reports are to reach that fee we have to win the league twice and a treble in his first two years! I guess we're still on course... :angel:
lol next season I wouldn't expect anything less than the treble:D

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
Never trust press reports on how much we're paying until the full break down is given by United.

Clubs we are buying from will always want to let their fans think they are getting more than they actually are, and the press will always want to splash as big a sum as possible across the headlines.

Perfect example is Rooney and Carrick. Rooney was reported as a '28 million pound signing' when in fact we only paid £10million up front that summer, and whilst Spurs were desperate to report that Carrick cost us £18 million, we only paid £12-14 million up front.

I wouldnt be suprised if, as Blythy says, the deal for these two breaks down into a couple of payments and numerous success based bonuses.