£35m for Andy Carroll | On loan @ WHU (the big, long, useless streak of pi**...)

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Why do people say this? European qualification, the Europa League. Bothy important targets for us right now.

Finishing 5/6th with a a European trophy will make a hell of a difference to our ability to attract players than finishing out of the top 10 with nothing.
I don't know. I seriously doubt playing in the Europa League whets the appetite of footballers these days, or atleast the kind of footballers Liverpool will be hoping to attract. If anything it is more of a hindrance.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know. I seriously doubt playing in the Europa League whets the appetite of footballers these days, or atleast the kind of footballers Liverpool will be hoping to attract. If anything it is more of a hindrance.
How?

You seriously don't think us winning that trophy and coming 5th will make us more attractive than finishing 10th because we didn't have anything to play for anyway?

Eugenius's post reflects exactly what we should not have done. Pockeded the money till the summer because this season is a bust anyway. We'd have money but we'd be trying to sign players with an apperance of having gone from bad to worse in the league and having sold one of our best players to one of the 'big clubs'. We'd be signalling our lack of ambition to everyone.

I think the rest of this season is very important for us with regard to the summer. Half the job was done now, signing players to let Europe know we do mean business. The players and Kenny have a very important job to show now that there is hunger at the club, that we're are improving despite the loss of Torres and that we are moving back towards the top 4 and competing for trophies.

This is incidentally also why it was imperative Hodgson not be given till the summer so he can shape this team as he likes, and all that nonsense. Of course, quite besides the fact that he would have been quite happy with the lowered expectations all round. Writing off the season is what you do if you're content to stay midtable.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
There's a particular element of risk when the player concerned is also a total nutjob who can't stop punching people.

It's true Liverpool got 2 strikers in for one, and if you discount the money it's not a bad deal. He looks a good prospect.

But I'd be very surprised if he reached Torres' level, and that's the key, Torres is one of the few players around who can win and save games on his own even when the side is performing woefully. In the larger scheme of things, it's not a good look for a club that believes it should be challenging for honours. A side that a couple of years ago had 5 world-class players now has 2, one the wrong side of 30 and the other quite possibly off in the summer.

If you'd asked 100 Liverpool fans last week, "Would you swap Fernando Torres and ten million quid for Suarez and Andy Carroll?", I reckon about 3 would have said yes.

Not wishing to condone his behaviour but let's not make it out to be worse than it was.

Torres can turn a game with a flash of brilliance but that's where I start to dislike him...it only comes in flashes and for large parts of games he simply can't be arsed and it's a long time since liverpool saw the Torres of old.

Hopefully for your lot a new and refreshed Torres doesn't show up for your game.

Carroll will do fine at liverpool...sadly.

IrishLegend

I think the fee is silly but I think Carrol could genuinely go on to be a cracking player.

He has all the attributes to do it, he's strong, he's quick, he's a decent finisher on the floor and in the air, His hold up play and ability to play as a target man is great. Reminds me a lot of an English Drogba. He's also young so has time on his hands, even if he doesn't set Liverpool alight at first.

I feel this thread will come back to haunt some posters in the future.

RedRover

Agreed.

But don't need to rebuild a team when we do it.

Liverpool need a centre back, left back, two wingers and a central midfielder.

Surely the money would have been better spent buy those as well. Why blow it all on two strikers.
I'm not sure that's really the issue. They need to improve all over the pitch but its hard to get more than a couple of players in in January, as well as the problems with getting them settled into the team.

They've only spent £8 million net so assuming Dalglish is being backed by the board in terms of signings as he has suggested they could invest another £50 million in the summer, especially if they can flod £20 millions worth of players who aren't needed.

Also questionable how you address all needs in one transfer window. buying six £7 million players may not have improved the squad that much given that few clusb want to sell in January. Far better to (hopefully) do what United are doing and wait till the summer if you can.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Reminds me a lot of an English Drogba.
You can't do that. Drogba is African. 'The English drogba' should at the very least be black.

The proper model for comparison is Duncan Ferguson.

Which leaves us hoping he will become the new 'hell of a lot better than duncan ferguson'.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
So that article basically justifies spending £35m on Andy Carroll on the basis that it cheers the fans up.

It's true, that. It just fails to mention that most of the fans cheered up are opposition fans.

£35 million quid.

For Andy Carroll.

:lol:

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
So that article basically justifies spending £35m on Andy Carroll on the basis that it cheers the fans up.

It's true, that. It just fails to mention that most of the fans cheered up are opposition fans.

£35 million quid.

For Andy Carroll.

:lol:
It cheered me up!

Rory 7

I reckon Daglish still thinks its 1995 and he's buyin that up and coming striker Andy C from Newcastle! Either that or he's drunk.

MPTutd

Carroll is only going to be as good as the service he gets. He won't often create chances himself as he does not have the skill or pace.

That is why he is well over priced.

Torres, Drogba, Rooney, Berb and Van Persie can create their own changes from nothing. That is why they are worth more.

Sam.G

Well you'll probably flog him to some other mugs for £15M in a couple of years and realise that the £20M loss could have been spent on something important like full backs.
Possibly.

Or he might bang in 30 goals next season and we strengthen in the summer anyway.

Stay tuned.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
30 goals next season. It's on!

I doubt it.

Sam.G

I doubt it too but who knows.

But continue gibbering by all means..

Sam.G

Very very very unlikely with quality wingers.

Impossible with Liverpool's wingers right now.
*Pulls his own teeth out and sticks them in his own eyes*

Storey was saying we'll probably sell him in two years for a £20m loss. I was saying "who knows".

*mops up blood*

MPTutd

*Pulls his own teeth out and sticks them in his own eyes*

Storey was saying we'll probably sell him in two years for a £20m loss. I was saying "who knows".

*mops up blood*
Yes, I know.

I was just reassuring you that he won't get 30 goals.

So you will end up selling him.

He is Crouch with strength and no fit bird.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Basically, skausers, are you pleased that you now have got Carroll and not Torres?

Sam.G

Yes, I know.

I was just reassuring you that he won't get 30 goals.

So you will end up selling him.

He is Crouch with strength and no fit bird.
I guess we'll see just how good your knowledge is

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Basically, skausers, are you pleased that you now have got Carroll and not Torres?
of course not.

I am pleased that we have invested ambitiously in replacements for a striker who didn't want to be here. At this point in time, due to the situation the club is currently in, I am pleased we are ambitious gamblers rather than cautious losers.

SATA

If United signed Andy Carroll for 35m, all those dippers who claim this a good signing would have sing a different tune

35m

for

Andy

Fecking

Carroll

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
of course not.

I am pleased that we have invested ambitiously in replacements for a striker who didn't want to be here. At this point in time, due to the situation the club is currently in, I am pleased we are ambitious gamblers rather than cautious losers.
You replaced the striker who didn't want to play for Liverpool with a striker who really didn't want to play for Liverpool ;)

MPTutd

They have not successfully replaced Mascherano or Alonso, so why do we think they will replace Torres successfully.

Sam.G

of course not.

Hard to argue with this!